Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Pro's and Con's

Author Topic: Pro's and Con's  (Read 43117 times)

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
Re: Pro's and Con's
« Reply #25 on: Mar 23, 2008, 09:57 »
I don't agree with all of Muffin's post, but alot of it is truth.  I appreciate his candor, and if I were thinking about joining again, his posts, while not pretty to read, are some of the closest to the truth, and would be very helpful in my decision - I still would have joined but might not have been so upset when the many negatives he posts about actually happened.  Smiting for being honest kinda sucks.  Sorry, there is my truth for the day.  Many of Muffin's posts are brutally honest and he is one of the few to tell it like it really was, FOR HIM.  His posts are worth weight in gold because not many other posts come from his viewpoint, which is very selfish. I can't believe someone said he was smited for being off topic, his posts are right on topic. Anyway, selfishness isn't always a bad thing. I read and reread his post and was hard pressed to see him "attacking" anyone.  Much of the time I spent field-daying was useless in my opinion and kudos to anyone who could find a way to get out of it.

I have a story to tell about how subjective at least one of the aspects of field-daying is. One of the many times I was treated badly by those in charge happened while I was field-daying: our EDEA - head nuke enlisted - told me to field day in a certain place, so I did.  The COB (head coner enlisted) came by a few minutes later and saw WHERE I was cleaning and started yelling and berating me and told me how wasteful and stupid it was to be cleaning there. (mitigative for the Navy in general, I was part of a really bad command). This was one of the many times I was belittled and treated poorly by people in command for something that was not under my control.

The point is some people had it good in the Navy, many had it good and bad, and some had it bad.  Maybe some of the people with bad stories to tell aren't whiners, maybe they had a reason for having a bad attitude?  Maybe they really are jerks.  Like Loffy said, nowadays when I get treated like crap, I have a shorter fuse for it, and I am glad I don't let people walk all over me as much as I used to.

There is a reason why so many good nukes get out....it isn't just the money.  Read Muffin's posts, scale back the hatred because it isn't close enough to your viewpoint, and enhance your trove of navy-nuke data.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #26 on: Mar 23, 2008, 12:02 »
I don't agree with all of Muffin's post, but alot of it is truth.  I appreciate his candor, and if I were thinking about joining again, his posts, while not pretty to read, are some of the closest to the truth, and would be very helpful in my decision - I still would have joined but might not have been so upset when the many negatives he posts about actually happened.  Smiting for being honest kinda sucks.  Sorry, there is my truth for the day.  Many of Muffin's posts are brutally honest and he is one of the few to tell it like it really was, FOR HIM.  His posts are worth weight in gold because not many other posts come from his viewpoint, which is very selfish. I can't believe someone said he was smited for being off topic, his posts are right on topic. Anyway, selfishness isn't always a bad thing. I read and reread his post and was hard pressed to see him "attacking" anyone.  Much of the time I spent field-daying was useless in my opinion and kudos to anyone who could find a way to get out of it.

I have a story to tell about how subjective at least one of the aspects of field-daying is. One of the many times I was treated badly by those in charge happened while I was field-daying: our EDEA - head nuke enlisted - told me to field day in a certain place, so I did.  The COB (head coner enlisted) came by a few minutes later and saw WHERE I was cleaning and started yelling and berating me and told me how wasteful and stupid it was to be cleaning there. (mitigative for the Navy in general, I was part of a really bad command). This was one of the many times I was belittled and treated poorly by people in command for something that was not under my control.

The point is some people had it good in the Navy, many had it good and bad, and some had it bad.  Maybe some of the people with bad stories to tell aren't whiners, maybe they had a reason for having a bad attitude?  Maybe they really are jerks.  Like Loffy said, nowadays when I get treated like crap, I have a shorter fuse for it, and I am glad I don't let people walk all over me as much as I used to.

There is a reason why so many good nukes get out....it isn't just the money.  Read Muffin's posts, scale back the hatred because it isn't close enough to your viewpoint, and enhance your trove of navy-nuke data.

Try reading for comprehension... most of those posting here have Navy experience good and bad. Pro and anti Navy perspectives have been posted here many times without getting this personnel and especially not to a veterans mother. It is true that many in the submarine service do not see hazardous duty but some do, just as not all Marines or Army personnel earn a combat badge for being under fire. BC has made the same kind of point about hazardous duty in the service without the animosity, though with some prejudice as his daughter serves it Iraq (can't help himself as a proud dad). As for the egos from the aft section, it is bred into you as few other programs in the military are so rigorous. I have to tell you that my boats had the same conner-nuke language but most of us hit the beach together and played cards together and all were just as proud of our Dolphins when earned. While I was in I served with men who had just left the Scorpion and the Thresher prior to the loss of these boats, I have communicated with the father of the young man who died on the San Fransico and am a member or a Sub Vets chapter with two WWII vets who survived Japanese depth charge attacks. The submarine service is larger than the experience of one digruntled sailor.

Yes I will listen to opposing views but I don't think this was it, not when addressed to the mother of a veteran.

Brave young men/women? Please.  Let me wipe the tear from my eye.  Do a tour with  the jarheads/seals/rangers/army and then get back to me.  I/we sat in temperature controlled environment eating as much food as we could getting fat and cleaning.  whoopie...now everyone whats to make it look like they were some kinda of "heros'.  the most action I seen was when we cleaned out some bar in the PI. 

« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2008, 12:13 by Marlin »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #27 on: Mar 23, 2008, 01:13 »
But muffin is a veteran, and the comment you posted by muffin...there is alot of truth in it.  How many sub sailors do you know in the last 30 years faced any kind of under fire conditions?  My brother and my cousin were both in the Army and while not under fire lived in squalor like conditions many months out of the year.  I never did, although I didn't like the way I was treated at times in the Nav.  How many of the 4000 killed in the last few years in Iraq have been US Navy Nuclear?  If you read the comment he is talking about his very own experiences.  The tone could have been more respectful but the information is valid.  Attack him for tone of voice or being disrespectful.  His comments were attacked, and they shouldn't have been.  And if you read the comments chronologically, NavyTwinMom said she applauds NavLi4 comments about Muffin being a whiner, so in a way she drew first blood, of a fellow Navy Nuke Veteran.  Muffin then said what he said AFTERWARDS.

Sorry Marlin, and no disrespect intended here, but the Scorpion, Thresher and WW2 depthcharging don't really represent the realities of todays armed forces.  The person who posted the thread wants the pros and cons of TODAYS NAVY I'm assuming.  Be honest here, being on today's Nuclear vessel vs. today's Army/Marines/National Guard is a lopsided comparison insofar as living conditions and casualty rate are concerned.  While I respect the men of the Thresher and the Scorpion and WW2 sub vets, that was a long time ago.  The probabilities of losing another Sub aren't very high. the jarheads/seals/rangers/army comment was valid.

What do you mean by "try reading for comprehension"?  Sorry, I am slow at times.

Just to make sure, since there are so many questions of on or off topic, this is still on topic in my opinion, Pros and Cons do include life and death and being in a true combat situation or not.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #28 on: Mar 23, 2008, 02:36 »
But muffin is a veteran, and the comment you posted by muffin...there is alot of truth in it.  How many sub sailors do you know in the last 30 years faced any kind of under fire conditions?  My brother and my cousin were both in the Army and while not under fire lived in squalor like conditions many months out of the year.  I never did, although I didn't like the way I was treated at times in the Nav.  How many of the 4000 killed in the last few years in Iraq have been US Navy Nuclear?  If you read the comment he is talking about his very own experiences.  The tone could have been more respectful but the information is valid.  Attack him for tone of voice or being disrespectful.  His comments were attacked, and they shouldn't have been.  And if you read the comments chronologically, NavyTwinMom said she applauds NavLi4 comments about Muffin being a whiner, so in a way she drew first blood, of a fellow Navy Nuke Veteran.  Muffin then said what he said AFTERWARDS.

Sorry Marlin, and no disrespect intended here, but the Scorpion, Thresher and WW2 depthcharging don't really represent the realities of todays armed forces.  The person who posted the thread wants the pros and cons of TODAYS NAVY I'm assuming.  Be honest here, being on today's Nuclear vessel vs. today's Army/Marines/National Guard is a lopsided comparison insofar as living conditions and casualty rate are concerned.  While I respect the men of the Thresher and the Scorpion and WW2 sub vets, that was a long time ago.  The probabilities of losing another Sub aren't very high. the jarheads/seals/rangers/army comment was valid.

What do you mean by "try reading for comprehension"?  Sorry, I am slow at times.

Just to make sure, since there are so many questions of on or off topic, this is still on topic in my opinion, Pros and Cons do include life and death and being in a true combat situation or not.

The men of the San Fransisco were smoking and joking just before the collision with the under water mountain doing all the comfy things you were talking about. The reality of danger may be very different from perception, talking with the WWII Vets they were bored much more often than in combat, their patrol logs are full of nothing but weather reports. There are currently many debates on the strength of the submarine force because of change in mission and threats around the world. Our submarine force is dwindling at a time when there are far more capable submarines in enemy Navies than in the past. Because you have an illusion of safety does not make it so. If you wanted to put perspective on it, the rate of death in Iraq is not much higher than the rate of death for the same age group back here in the US and lower than in some higher crime areas but I honor them for going in harms way by choice. If you go to sea on a submarine and do not see the potential for your card game to be interupted by an accident or the inevitable military conflict (even in an undeclared war) you have not read your history. Demeaning anyone in the service is not acceptable in my book. It may be your right, but then be prepared for me to exercise mine. I have great respect for the young men and women in combat, what I hear from them makes me very proud and optimistic for the future of the US but petty bickering about who is or is not truly deserving of respect is ludicrous they all go in harms way even those to naive to see it.

rlbinc

« Reply #29 on: Mar 23, 2008, 03:07 »
Back to pros and cons...

Pros: It provided an NEC designation on my DD-214 which made an HR Rep decide that I was worth interviewing for a utility job opening. I got to wear "Old Navy" 20 years before it was fashionable.

Cons: They ceased payment on the Vietnam Era GI Bill in 1989, after four (not ten) years of eligibility. Priority Group 8 VA Medical Benefits (zero).   It would have been nice to make minimum wage for those years in retrospect.

navytwinmom

« Reply #30 on: Mar 23, 2008, 03:14 »
OK my last post on this subject....lol

1 I want thank all those that remained on topic for SN Bass....lots of good information for the guy.

2 Ham i get your point i did draw first blood...but i agreed with XO....and do not regret what i said. But i do accept that Loffty has the right to his option....and this is the place to voice it in most cases and he was on topic  :)

3 Broad statements like "I didn't know anyone that liked it.  Zero.  nada.  The people that reenlisted did it for 20,000 reasons as in bucks" and "All of the senior nukes were pretty much a mess.  Serious character flaws." kind of got my blood boiling at the time.

4 I don't know Loffty perhaps he had a worse Navy life one could possibly imagine and if that is the case I do feel bad for him. i think the military in general and the Navy in particular can be a wonderful life for some....just read some of the great posts and all the funny stories.

5 appears to be some talk that one guy is more deserving/brave/committed to serve than another or less of a slacker/whiner/layabout then another because how they chose to serve their country. I respectfully disagree....anyone that signs on that dotted line deserves as much love/respect/honor that we can muster. (if i misunderstood the posts or misread the intent i bow down now in submission)

6...lastly for SN Bass. My sons just finished the pipeline and are home for a bit before reporting for duty stations. Perhaps if you like i can put them in touch with you at least for the next few weeks they can talk about the pipline and if you like let you know how things go in the fleet. One is sub other surface. (the surface guy is being deployed to "the Persian Gulf" then he reports in a few week.

Happy Easter everyone...enjoy your family and friends. Hugs for ALL and i do me ALL the Nukeworker posters.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #31 on: Mar 24, 2008, 01:13 »
Gotcha Marlin, but when talking about the pros and cons, respect has to go out the window a bit.  This guy wants to know the reality of his situation, so to give him the real deal and not sugar coat stuff, it is a breath of fresh air to see a post like Muffin's. You are getting on your soap box now.  It's obvious to me that it is much more dangerous to be in many other branches of the armed services when compared to the Nuclear Navy, this is not an illusion, I don't know where you are getting your information from.

PRO- you are WAY less likely to die or be maimed on a nuclear navy vessel than in the army due to enemy action.  this is not an illusion.  I don't know where Marlin is getting his info.

If this was a post about Respect for Veterans and Veterans Mothers, then yes, but this is about the pros and cons of nuclear.  TwinMom, I think you are great, I just think Muffin's comments were being poopoo-ed for no good reason.

Read Muffin's comments for those of you that want a real deal perspective on the pros and cons of everyday life in the nuclear navy.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #32 on: Mar 24, 2008, 02:22 »
these are farily interesting, I didn't know how many wounded there were. cool site.

http://icasualties.org/oif/Service.aspx

http://icasualties.org/oif/OIFWoundedByMonth.aspx

I'm assuming alot of the Navy wounded are EOD and Seals, but maybe not?  Once again to be understood, this is all about Pros and Cons, which is the topic of this Thread.  I have no more or less respect for all the people in our armed services, but I do know when an informed person walks into that recruiter's office, He may be thinking his/her butt might be safer in the Navy, Air Force or Coast Guard, and I think he/she is correct.  This is most likely a Pro for a Nuclear Navy guy, unless he is looking for combat, and if he is, than what is he doing in the nuclear Navy?

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #33 on: Mar 24, 2008, 08:18 »
Gotcha Marlin, but when talking about the pros and cons, respect has to go out the window a bit.  This guy wants to know the reality of his situation, so to give him the real deal and not sugar coat stuff, it is a breath of fresh air to see a post like Muffin's. You are getting on your soap box now.  It's obvious to me that it is much more dangerous to be in many other branches of the armed services when compared to the Nuclear Navy, this is not an illusion, I don't know where you are getting your information from.

We are getting closer now, I was not comparing the services I was comparing mortality rates here in the US to those in Iraq for those in the same age groups. I don't dispute the relative hazard between the services I enlisted just before I was drafted and had looked at the possibility of being a helicopter pilot, they did not have a very good prognosis Viet Nam. I think I am looking at perspective and I think LM is a bit extreme. Most of the others posted are much more balanced. I don't think such a heavy bias is "not sugar coating it". I did not choose to make the Navy a career because of many of the anti's, but some did It seems to be a very personnel choice. Those that did stay in the Navy surprised me, they were not in general the slackers and those who were did not make rate. The Navy experience changes as you move up the food chain and so does your perspective. I won't argue that there aren't a number of career people that are there because they don't want to compete on the outside or want the easy early retirement but they don't make up the entire "Goat Locker"

SN Bass would be better served if he understood that there are many different experiences in the Navy. Many of the people I talk to now say that they are very glad to have had the experience but would not want to have to go through it again, it won't be easy. As for comparing being in the Nuke Program to the regular Navy there would be no point to being in the Navy for most Nukes if they were not in the Nuke field or another advanced program.
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2008, 08:19 by Marlin »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #34 on: Mar 24, 2008, 09:14 »
Alot of the nukes I was with on my boat had a much worse opinion of the Navy than what LMs seems to be.  But we were all convinced it was one of the worst commands ever.  I really don't see his opinion being all that extreme actually, but one has to understand my days in the Navy don't match up real well with more positive ones.  Many of the exnavy nukes I meet who are about my age say the same thing.  Some of my time in the Nuc Navy was awesome, but much of it wasn't good.  I think being in during the time you were in Marlin may have been better overall.  Just a guess.  I did meet a guy who was only 3 years older and had a great command on his first boat, loved it and wondered what all the whining was about....then he got to his second boat and understood within weeks.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #35 on: Mar 24, 2008, 11:40 »
Alot of the nukes I was with on my boat had a much worse opinion of the Navy than what LMs seems to be.  But we were all convinced it was one of the worst commands ever.  I really don't see his opinion being all that extreme actually, but one has to understand my days in the Navy don't match up real well with more positive ones.  Many of the exnavy nukes I meet who are about my age say the same thing.  Some of my time in the Nuc Navy was awesome, but much of it wasn't good.  I think being in during the time you were in Marlin may have been better overall.  Just a guess.  I did meet a guy who was only 3 years older and had a great command on his first boat, loved it and wondered what all the whining was about....then he got to his second boat and understood within weeks.

True, I am a bit of a dinosaur but I do have the benefit of this forum and contact with exnukes as do you. I think we are close to being on the same page finally that pro's and con's will vary based on type of ship and command a subject that has been on other threads extensively.

Offline Loffy Muffin

• Moderate User
  • Little hand says it is time to rock and roll
« Reply #36 on: Mar 24, 2008, 12:33 »
also, volunteer for Crank Duty.  Tell the COB you want to Crank so that you can honor the long time tradition of the submarine service by serving the crew which will train and mentor you. (don't lay it on too thick)  I cranked (most nukes were/are not allowed) and it allowed me to meet the crew. The coners will have more respect/accept for you.  since they run the boat, not the nukes, this is important.  Cranking will make your sub quals easy, and the coners will take the time to show you stuff and how it works.  You think any of these other jokers got to listen to alpha class sub we were tracking?    Look throught the scope as the boat comes to PD, drive the boat?  Blow ballast tanks? plot targets? Bet not.  too busy sitting in crews mess telling each other how special they were. 

Now, I didn't besmirch anyones son for joining the navy. Really, I couldn't care less.  Unless you can care less then not caring, which I don't.  Capish? 

"Making broad statements that no one liked in on my boat and didn't know anyone that liked it? " That is not a broad statement.  That is my experience.  A broad statement would be "no one ever in the nuclear navy ever liked it". 

wow.  rocks abound, mate.  better get the hard hat.

Now, continue on with worthless crying, baseless attacks, and ad hominem aguments.
See right through the red, white and blue disguise
With lecture I puncture the structure of lies
Installed in our minds and attempting
To hold us back
We've got to take it back, Take the power back

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #37 on: Mar 24, 2008, 09:41 »
also, volunteer for Crank Duty.  Tell the COB you want to Crank so that you can honor the long time tradition of the submarine service by serving the crew which will train and mentor you. (don't lay it on too thick)  I cranked (most nukes were/are not allowed) and it allowed me to meet the crew. The coners will have more respect/accept for you.  since they run the boat, not the nukes, this is important.  Cranking will make your sub quals easy, and the coners will take the time to show you stuff and how it works.  You think any of these other jokers got to listen to alpha class sub we were tracking?    Look throught the scope as the boat comes to PD, drive the boat?  Blow ballast tanks? plot targets? Bet not.  too busy sitting in crews mess telling each other how special they were. 

Now, I didn't besmirch anyones son for joining the navy. Really, I couldn't care less.  Unless you can care less then not caring, which I don't.  Capish? 

"Making broad statements that no one liked in on my boat and didn't know anyone that liked it? " That is not a broad statement.  That is my experience.  A broad statement would be "no one ever in the nuclear navy ever liked it". 

wow.  rocks abound, mate.  better get the hard hat.

Now, continue on with worthless crying, baseless attacks, and ad hominem aguments.

I did all of that, and cranked, and lived in the TR and hot racked.

I am not sure why all the negativity towards your posts since they are the truth as you know it. And I don't feel you attacked the mother at all, unless calling her "sweet heart" is an attack. Then again, she did say "BABY" first. But that all sounds kind of childish, huh?

Personally I don't give a crap if her blood boils when someone complains about how bad a Chief is or how much the nuke navy sucks. She isn't in it and will never experience it. I am curious about how she is going to handle her son's inevitable complains?

Anyway, like has been pointed out, everyone has different experiences. It is pretty well known that I was pretty bitter when I left the Navy. But, it wasn't always like that. In fact, I bet I was the biggest diggit many have ever seen my first two years in; Anchors Aweigh on the computer , Navy flag flying, etc. although I am thankful I never went through with the tattoo :). MY command was awesome... from the skipper down to the MLPO. I thought that was what Navy life was going to be like, so I signed up for more. Then, my next skipper showed up, and under this one tyrant of a man, my boat went from excellents on ORSE and TRE to BA on all inspections (except cleaning). We were real good cleaners. Saw the same thing at prototype. Started out with awesome CO, CMC, OO, LCC etc. By the time I left, the command was more lame duck than the current administration.

Point is, things change wildly in the Navy as key people come and go. And guess what, they come and go more frequently than you do so you never know what you are going to get. It is as unpredictable as a marble in a jar of molasses. That is the number one reason I got out. I was simply tired of not having any control over my life, or who controlled it. I was tired of worrying if my next boss was going to be a compete DB or not. Like muffin said, now I do have control. I won't stand for the kind of BS I experienced in the Navy under poor leadership. Whats cool is I pretty much don't have to worry about it because so far, from what I have seen, is the company doesn't typically stand for complete DBs either.

Did I have good times? You betcha! And thankfully, thats all I focus on now. I do miss things like the main engines winding up from A1/3 to AIII, running the evaporator and still, the friendships and strong bonds that were formed, port calls, etc etc etc.

But I will submit, that like muffin, I am infinitely happier now than I ever was in the Navy. No one asks me to swallow pride or dignity, which they will in the Navy. No one tells me they don't give a crap about me. They will in the Navy. No one is going to stand on my back to reach a higher place. They will in the Navy.

The fatter pay check is nice, too.

Justin

Offline rumrunner

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #38 on: Mar 24, 2008, 10:51 »
Point is, things change wildly in the Navy as key people come and go.

No truer words have ever been written.  A great command can become a bad command in one quick change of people.  I saw it happen more than once, the most memorable being when a new Command Master Chief came aboard the Texas and made it unbearable for the enlisted people - including the lesser Chiefs.  I remember this drove me to transfer, and the Career Counselor Chief shared an office with the CMC.  Both were in there when I came in to submit my request.  The CC Chief looked at me, and sarcastically said "what's the matter, don't you like it here anymore?" - loud enough for the CMC's benefit. 
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2008, 02:18 by rumrunner »
Dave

rlbinc

« Reply #39 on: Mar 25, 2008, 11:24 »

The fatter pay check is nice, too.

Justin

A-men Brother Ben! That extra million or so earned in a twenty year interval comes in handy at age 50.
Enjoy the ride, master your trade - and don't forget to get out of the Navy and live the American Dream.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #40 on: Mar 25, 2008, 11:29 »
I have but one question for Loffy.  During all of your scaming out of field day and other self proclaimed scam jobs, did you ever once consider how your scamming was affecting your department.  I am never one to condone cleaning for the sake of cleaning or field day just because the ship is getting VIPs inbound but will never see the engine room to begin with.  No matter how bad is sucked though, a person had two choices: either suck it up with the rest of people and do what was required, no matter how dumb it was, or scam out and become a buddy-#$%er.  

SN Bass, trust me you don't want to be the latter of those two.  Yea scamming out might seem like the better thing to do and certainly more enjoyable than field day for 4 hours when you just got off watch, but in the end you are just confirming a SH*%BAG status and eventually it will catch up to you.  On a rare occasion you might get away with it for a very long time, but in the end it also comes down to a matter of pride.  Can you look yourself in the mirror and feel that you did what you were supposed to or do you pat yourself on the back for screwing over your buddies just so you could slack off.  Generally if you have to have a yeoman give you a heads up about the fact you are about to be written up(go to mast)more than likely there is a good reason behind it and you should be changing your work ethics.  

No matter what, no matter how bad it got, the best thing about being a nuke was the people you work WITH, not necessarily work for.  It is true that a command climate and morale can be flipped upside down with a change in Command.  I have worked for some of the best MCPOs and some of the worst.  I have worked for some great LTs and some really really bad ones.  I have had to deal with lifers who would let the plant eat itself but as long as everyone had a SAT haircut and the boat was clean life was peachy.  Worked for LT that would go balistic at the drop of a hat to the point that I avoided talking to the man like the plague, even if it was required by my duties.  On the other hand, I have worked with guys/girls that understand that being a nuke is hard and will offer some top cover for the real BS stuff.  Nothing in the nuke life is better than having someone think an idea is complete BS and has the rank to back it up.  

SN Bass take everything that you have read from the old salties and the new generation(I was kinda in the middle, more new than old) and extrapolate what you will from it.  Give it a chance, understand that there will be BS and bloodshed, and pray for good chains of command.  If you find yourself in a bad one, do what you can to make it good, and if you can't just wait a few years and it will change, hopefully for the better but not always.  Your best solice is knocking back a few with your fellow nukes and complaining about everything in general.  After all a B*%(ing sailor is a happy sailor.  
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline Loffy Muffin

• Moderate User
  • Little hand says it is time to rock and roll
« Reply #41 on: Mar 25, 2008, 12:49 »
 have but one question for Loffy.  During all of your scaming out of field day and other self proclaimed scam jobs, did you ever once consider how your scamming was affecting your department.  I am never one to condone cleaning for the sake of cleaning or field day just because the ship is getting VIPs inbound but will never see the engine room to begin with.  No matter how bad is sucked though, a person had two choices: either suck it up with the rest of people and do what was required, no matter how dumb it was, or scam out and become a buddy-#$%er.

Rock slide is morphing into avalanche! No wonder the "new sub navy" can't surface without sinking trawlers and killing civilians or do a patrol without ramming mountains (note, go around the mountains. its easier).  surprised with some of these "posts" the subs can make it out of the harbor. I think I would put on the life preserver and just never take it off.   

Who said it was scamming?  So, cleaning with the coners is scamming?  Nukes didn't/don't have a choice to clean forward.    The Monster chief...errrrr, Master chief lifer thought he was going to be some tough guy, tell us he would send us forward to clean with "those coners".  I volunteered for the "bad" duty.   If you would open your eyes, you see that there isn't much to clean forward...DUH!

So, really, I took one for the team and went forward to clean.  Because I'm a team sorta guy...

I'm not sure what other "scam jobs" I was involved in.  Please, let me know. 

Making the best of a situation/
making friends with coners as well as nukes/
respect forward shipmates, they will respect you back/
Don't cop "I'm better then you" attitude'/
Get involved with forward ops, it's interesting

= Scam job? 

Oh, ok. 

AVALANCHE! 

See right through the red, white and blue disguise
With lecture I puncture the structure of lies
Installed in our minds and attempting
To hold us back
We've got to take it back, Take the power back

mlslstephens

« Reply #42 on: Mar 25, 2008, 04:01 »
No wonder the "new sub navy" can't surface without sinking trawlers and killing civilians or do a patrol without ramming mountains (note, go around the mountains. its easier). 

LM,
I respect your opinions regarding a different perspective on the Navy.  I appreciate your willingness to help out SN Bass.  I will however, ask you publicly to stop the nonsense I read above.  If you haven't forgotten, there were nine innocent lives lost in the collision of the USS GREENVILLE and the Ehime Maru.
Also, the collision you refer to with the underwater mountain produced the death of an MM2.  Both tragic incidents that yes, scar the Navy's reputation; however, I don't think this is the right forum to use these instances to bolster your opinion.

I'm not even going to smite you for this...but I want to.  :(

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #43 on: Mar 25, 2008, 04:22 »
LM,
I respect your opinions regarding a different perspective on the Navy.  I appreciate your willingness to help out SN Bass.  I will however, ask you publicly to stop the nonsense I read above.  If you haven't forgotten, there were nine innocent lives lost in the collision of the USS GREENVILLE and the Ehime Maru.
Also, the collision you refer to with the underwater mountain produced the death of an MM2.  Both tragic incidents that yes, scar the Navy's reputation; however, I don't think this is the right forum to use these instances to bolster your opinion.

Yes no doubt that this is crossing a line.

Justin

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #44 on: Mar 25, 2008, 04:31 »
LM,

I see no reason to respect his opinion and as far as smiting him I would refer to a quote from Waynes World "If you feel like you have to hurl, blow chunks dude". He does have a point but it is couched in language that I have heard from slackers in the Navy and in the commercial world.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #45 on: Mar 26, 2008, 08:28 »
Hey guys I recently enlisted into the Navy Nuclear Field and I would like to know, what are some of the bad and the good things about this program after I get out of the schooling.  I heard that there is a lot of work involved which does not necessarily bother me much, but, I would like to know if that is shifts being longer, more days a week, or just harder work with a normal shift.  Also, I have heard that we get an entirely different pay scale, is this true?  Also, is it good or bad.

I just would like to hear the answers to those particular questions plus whatever else you guys might think I should know about the program.

SN Bass your thread has been highjacked and I am one of the main culprits so I would like to appologize for that. I think a trip through the Navy forum threads "Getting in" "Staying in" and "Getting out" will give you plenty of information from a diverse group of posters. Good luck, as with anything in life it will be what you make it.
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2008, 08:33 by Marlin »

Offline rumrunner

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #46 on: Mar 26, 2008, 10:50 »
SN Bass your thread has been highjacked and I am one of the main culprits so I would like to apologize for that.

I am guilty too, and apologize for my part of the hijacking.  I should know better since I also run a couple of forums,  and hate it when a thread goes off on a tangent.  Good luck on your future, SN Bass.  And remember - your time in the nuclear Navy isn't about what we grizzled old squids think of it, it is what you make of it.

Dave

SN Bass

« Reply #47 on: Mar 26, 2008, 03:18 »
Thanks guys for all of your help and opinions and such.  It is cool that this went off topic somewhat but I see that happen to almost all topics here so it is not much of a problem  ;D

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #48 on: Mar 26, 2008, 05:43 »
Just remember to "get hot" because you're dink. HAHAHAHAHA ;D
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #49 on: Mar 26, 2008, 05:52 »
Thanks guys for all of your help and opinions and such.  It is cool that this went off topic somewhat but I see that happen to almost all topics here so it is not much of a problem  ;D

We have a winner! :) I was about to say that it seems that every topic in navy nukes degenerates into a slug fest. :) This kid should be fine.  ;D

Justin

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?