Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke In DEP w/ Associates Degree honeypot

Author Topic: Nuke In DEP w/ Associates Degree  (Read 13129 times)

fireb0x

Nuke In DEP w/ Associates Degree
« on: May 27, 2010, 11:47 »
Howdy,

I lurk around here alot and with my ship date coming nearer (December), I am trying to learn as much as possible about my future.

I enlisted in March and have kept on going to school so I could complete my Associated of Science in Engineering and an Associates of Arts in General Studies.

I am confident I will make it through Nuke School and am wondering just how far off from an engineering degree I will be at that point.

One of the recruiters from my recruiting office showed me the classes he had left to take to get his degree out of Nuke School and it was something like 36 hours. I tried to gauge how many of those 36 I had already competed and it seemed like most of them I had already finished through the associates degrees.

My second question is how they choose Nuke Rate. I have read a million times on here that the recruit doesn't choose his rate, and I have accepted that, but I was just curious how they choose or what criteria they use to select. Any guidance on that?

Is there any sort of advice on where I can find this information or can any of you help me?

I appreciate the help and look forward to serving my country.

PS: My older brother served in the Navy and my younger brother just got out of Boot Camp. I am proud to have the chance to serve along side them.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 11:49 by fireb0x »

Offline crusemm

• Moderate User
Re: Nuke In DEP w/ Associates Degree
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 12:50 »
As far as I know, there is no real science or criteria that they use for rate selection.  My understanding is they have say 150 recruits, there are 90 MM slots to fill, 40 EM slots, and 20 ET.  They do their best to line up the "I wanna be a ...." with the open slots, but if you have 60 wanna be ET's, 40 of them better wanna be MM's :D

As far as the degree goes, your recruiters degree sounds like it was the Thomas Edison Engineering Tech degree.  If you have some previous college, you will probably only have to take a Calc II course and a couple of others.  However, Other colleges with other degree programs may require other classes.

Good luck
Have A Day ;D
-Matt
Authentic truth is never simple and that any version of truth handed down from on high---whether by presidents, prime ministers, or archbishops---is inherently suspect.-Andrew Bacevich

flare

ET help?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 12:01 »
I read this in another post. In the nuke school rating magical selection out of 150 people its 90 MM 40 EM and 20 ET , what can i do to make myself a ET, I stabbed out a 97 on the asvab, and in HS i took AP Physics, AP Chem, AP Calc, AP bio, and the AP environmental tests, passing all of them. What can i do to improve my chances of becoming a ET? My reason for asking is because I've heard that ET's have the best carry over to the civ feild and are marginally better on college and/or commissioning programs. I've also volunteered for sub duty if that helps. Any input would be fantastic this site is awesome.

JsonD13

Re: ET help?
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 12:50 »
Check your sources of information, and look into ELT as well. ;-)

Jason

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 02:40 »
HydroDave, close your eyes  ;).

flare,

As a retired Senior Chief ET, you may not expect me to tell you that you are all wrong in your conclusions.

Let me fill you in on the Paul Harvey version of the rest of the story. ET school is the longest of all the "A" schools. Therefore, ETs have a longer time than the other rates to fix their crummy study habits that they imported from high school or their failed attempts at college--or they get denuked for not maintaining the requisite GPA. This extra time to beef up study habits comes in handy when transitioning to the firehose teaching method at nuclear power school.

Keep in mind that those knuckle draggers and wire biters had to take the same tests you did, and that those knuckle draggers and wire biters had to meet the same score requirements you did. I use to tell my ETs, because they were ETs, 'to hold their chins high, but keep their noses at a respectful level.'

Back in my day, nuclear power school used to assign sections according to your entrance scores. I was in section 8--appropriately I might add, with all puns intended. Nevertheless, there was a section of "rock ETs" in section 4 and the "super ETs" in section 11. Section 1 happened to be knuckle draggers who finished nuclear power school with about 8 out of the 30 starters. And, oh yes, and the pièce de résistance--section 12, which the last time I checked my radcon math is one more than 11--was also made of of knuckle draggers.

At the end of the pipeline, ETs are no better than MMs or EMs--period.

Okay HydroDave, you can open your eyes now.

deltarho
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 02:44 by deltarho »
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

Offline crusemm

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 04:13 »
flare, I will answer this questions again:
The Navy needs X number of ET's, EM's MM's.  The detailers do their best to match the ones that want to be ET's with the available number of ET slots.  THERE IS NO MAGIC FORMULA.  At the beginning of the selection process, as long as you meet the applicable rating minimums, which every potential nuclear student does, then all are equal.  Put down on your request sheet what you want and the Navy will put you where they want you.  You can ask the question as many different ways as you want, but the answer is the same.  

P.S.  Don't ask the same question on multiple threads, it clutters up the boards.  This thread will be merged.

Have A Day ;D
-Matt (soon to be retired MMC/SS and newest NEO at CPNPP)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 04:17 by crusemm »
Authentic truth is never simple and that any version of truth handed down from on high---whether by presidents, prime ministers, or archbishops---is inherently suspect.-Andrew Bacevich

fireb0x

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 04:27 »
Thanks for the responses to the question. I appreciate the time spent with that and sorry if I asked a question that has already been answered a million times.

I'd love to be an ET, but it seems like everyone else does also. Thanks for the responses!

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 05:59 »
I read this in another post. In the nuke school rating magical selection out of 150 people its 90 MM 40 EM and 20 ET , what can i do to make myself a ET, I stabbed out a 97 on the asvab, and in HS i took AP Physics, AP Chem, AP Calc, AP bio, and the AP environmental tests, passing all of them. What can i do to improve my chances of becoming a ET? My reason for asking is because I've heard that ET's have the best carry over to the civ feild and are marginally better on college and/or commissioning programs. I've also volunteered for sub duty if that helps. Any input would be fantastic this site is awesome.
I had the highest scores of the seven nukes in my boot camp company and I had similar classes in high school plus 2 years of college (2.76 average).  I requested ET and got EM; the only guy of the 7 not to get what their first choice.

The bunk about ETs having the best carry-over to the civ field simply isn't true and I've never heard about ETs having a better shot at officer programs.  Being good at your job and having good work habits and positive attitude will carry you well regardless of rate.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline Fast Neutron

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 10:59 »
flare, I will answer this questions again:
The Navy needs X number of ET's, EM's MM's.  The detailers do their best to match the ones that want to be ET's with the available number of ET slots.  THERE IS NO MAGIC FORMULA.  At the beginning of the selection process, as long as you meet the applicable rating minimums, which every potential nuclear student does, then all are equal.  Put down on your request sheet what you want and the Navy will put you where they want you.  You can ask the question as many different ways as you want, but the answer is the same.  

P.S.  Don't ask the same question on multiple threads, it clutters up the boards.  This thread will be merged.

Have A Day ;D
-Matt (soon to be retired MMC/SS and newest NEO at CPNPP)

I was recently briefed at boot camp by a master chief stating that there is an exact mathematical formula applied, followed by personal preferences, followed by needs of the navy.  Needs of the navy was made to sound less important.  Aptitude was the highest indicator.  Then the ONE guy (every Friday) (not this master chief, someone in Tennessee) would look at what the computer generated via ASVAB scores and subscores, looked at personal preferences, and first put people in their best aptitude then moved them in order according to ASVAB score into their preferred rate.  This is where needs of the navy came in.  Each rate had to have some great scores, good scores, and ok scores.  ONE guy figured it out each and every Friday.  The computer "printout" creates rankings based on a combination of your AFQT, NAPT and ASVAB subscores.  If you did not take the NAPT, no worries, there is no advantage to taking it or not taking it, all else equal.  Prior service, private experience, college, AP courses, high school grades, personality,medical, waivers, financial, security clearance, etc. do not figure into this printout, nor does this ONE guy know about any of that.  It's that simple (COMPLICATED).

So, there most definitely is a magical formula.  While this is a recollection of a brief a few months ago and it may have been designed for recruits as opposed to staff I think it's accurate, at least its logical.  It is certainly recent.  If you do better at electronics, you might be an electronics technician or electrician's mate. Haha, needs of the navy.  So your ASVAB scores outdid yourself (grammar intentional).  ASVAB/AFQT/NAPT were "needs of the navy," too.  In any event, needs of the navy can also determine the magnitude of people needed in a rate.  There is a double track of MMs going through the pipeline now.  So, that pile of recruits was bigger, and there were 2 MMs for every 1 (ET+EM).  To me, it seems as if nearly everyone who wanted their rate got it.  Don't get freaked out if you don't get your preferred rate though, there are advantages to each.  If your an accidental MM, make your friends call you petty officer for three months in between when you graduate A-school and when they graduate.  Your job is different but you still get to work and live with your friends.  If your an EM on the outside but an ET on the inside, you still get to hang out at reactor controls.  If your an "MM" who turns out to be an ET or EM, you get the "comfort" of reactor controls or the benefit of electrical equipment/motors/gearheads/whatever.  Figure out how to put a 2 Farad capacitor in your labor of love car.  That'll teach 'em.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 11:06 »
Okay HydroDave, you can open your eyes now.

deltarho

DeltaBro,

I think you have me confused with someone from one of your other low-morale better armed cruisers. I wasn't one of your Rc02 "PetShopBoys" wearing out the Crutchfield catalogs!  >:( My personal experience was very similar to what DDMurray mentioned. That being said, most of our ET mutual acquaintances are currently either 5V electricians or polyester-clad donut-crunching dayshifters. The only blueshirt-to-officer in our group was an EM. The most recent blueshirt-to-civvie-to-khaki was an ET. Those that got smart and went to GridOps were virtually all MMs and EMs .

Should you have any further questions, please press "1" for English.  ;)

Offline crusemm

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 12:21 »
I was recently briefed at boot camp by a master chief stating that there is an exact mathematical formula applied,

So, there most definitely is a magical formula. 
OK, so there is a formula, so what?  There is nothing that either of the OP's can do to influence the outcome of the selection process, i.e. they cannot "game the system" in such a way as to influence a specific outcome.  I stand by my original comment.  From the perspective of the baby nuke, all the names go in a mixmaster and come out the other side as one of the three rates.  As far as the Navy is concerned, a body with certain basic abilities is fed in one end of the pipeline, and after being folded, spindled, and mutilated for a year plus, a ready to be qualified Nuke of one of the three flavors comes out the other end of the pipeline, ready to be fed to the fleet. ;D

Offline Yaeger

• Light User
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 01:15 »
Sorry, but I have to ask this basic question.

Do you realize that even if you chose Electronics Technician you will only spend about 1% of your career working on/troubleshooting electronics? Probably less.

The other things: watchstanding, cleaning, training, administration, and misc stuff will take up the other 99% of your time. You might do some maintenance where you plug an O-scope/fluke into some test-points and write down values.

Others might have a different opinion than mine.. but the only thing separating EMs from ETs is the last 4 weeks of A-school. They both own, do maintenance on, and troubleshoot analog/digital electronics.

There are hundreds of posts on here already, but EMs, MMs, and ETs don't vary in post-Navy marketability. They're all very desirable in the civ sector. When you get to boot camp by all means put down a preference, but don't get bummed when the needs of Navy override your top pick.

co60slr

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 09:57 »
I'd love to be an ET, but it seems like everyone else does also. Thanks for the responses!
Three things that I never heard in 20+ years of NNPP:
1.  MM: "I wish I was an ET".
2.  EM:  "I wish I was an ET or MM".
3.  ET: "I wish I was an EM or MM".

The Navy process works.  Trust it (and your particular aptitude) and then have fun.   

If you wanted to be an electronics/TV repairman, you're in the wrong field anyway.

Co60

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 09:31 »

The Navy process works.  Trust it (and your particular aptitude) and then have fun.   

If you wanted to be an electronics/TV repairman, you're in the wrong field anyway.

Co60

Well... not for the reasons you might think. HydroDave may vouch for this, but there were a bunch of MMs and EMs wishing to be ETs when a demure little man named "Bucky" won the Wog Queen contest before crossing the line on one WestPac, which allowed RC division to go through the "transformational ceremony" first--before too many polywogs could blow chunks into the chute and before the ambient temperature could rise to the optimum Escherichia coli (E. coli) breeding level.

Other than that... Nope, can't say that I ever heard it either. I may as well steal someone else's thunder. I DID hear ETs, MMs, and EMs say that they wished they were ELTs. Okay...there--I said it.

deltarho
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

fireb0x

« Reply #14 on: Jun 02, 2010, 01:54 »
It's that simple (COMPLICATED).

So, there most definitely is a magical formula

Thanks for you input on this.  This, combined with the "I never heard an XZ say he wished to be an XY or XX" makes me feel like I'll get placed where I am needed. Thanks for the input!

Co60

Thanks for this. This definitely helps me feel confident like people enjoy what they do no matter what.

Sorry, but I have to ask this basic question.

Do you realize that even if you chose Electronics Technician you will only spend about 1% of your career working on/troubleshooting electronics? Probably less.

The other things: watchstanding, cleaning, training, administration, and misc stuff will take up the other 99% of your time. You might do some maintenance where you plug an O-scope/fluke into some test-points and write down values.

I didn't realize this, but thanks for asking it. In trying to learn about what I will be doing, I find lots of patches and pockets of information, but never the whole picture. I imagine this is because the picture is huge. It seemed to me like ET Nukes did a large portion of ET stuff, but if this isn't the case, then I appreciate you bringing it to my attention so that I know this information going forward.

Well... not for the reasons you might think. HydroDave may vouch for this, but there were a bunch of MMs and EMs wishing to be ETs when a demure little man named "Bucky" won the Wog Queen contest before crossing the line on one WestPac, which allowed RC division to go through the "transformational ceremony" first--before too many polywogs could blow chunks into the chute and before the ambient temperature could rise to the optimum Escherichia coli (E. coli) breeding level.

Other than that... Nope, can't say that I ever heard it either. I may as well steal someone else's thunder. I DID hear ETs, MMs, and EMs say that they wished they were ELTs. Okay...there--I said it.

deltarho

Are ELTs a specific division/portion of nukes? i tried to do some research instead of asking, but I ended up more confused than anything because it seems you can get there in a variety of ways...

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
« Reply #15 on: Jun 02, 2010, 09:04 »
Are ELTs a specific division/portion of nukes? i tried to do some research instead of asking, but I ended up more confused than anything because it seems you can get there in a variety of ways...

ELTs are part of a separate division.  In Prototype, a certain number of MMs will be selected to continue their training as ELTs.  I'm not sure, you might have to volunteer for it.

Because ELTs are still MMs, they still have mechanical skills (although if you ask a conventional MM about an ELTs mechanical skills, he'd more than likely sneer)  Take a look here:
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,18345.msg104581.html#msg104581
« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2010, 09:10 by sovbob »
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #16 on: Jun 02, 2010, 12:13 »
Yes, you have to volunteer to be an ELT. ELTs typically are a little short on mechanical skills, simply because they don't get much practice. I hear it's different subs, though.

Offline crusemm

• Moderate User
« Reply #17 on: Jun 02, 2010, 12:29 »
Yes, you have to volunteer to be an ELT. ELTs typically are a little short on mechanical skills, simply because they don't get much practice. I hear it's different subs, though.
No, subs are no different. ELT's are still lousy mechanics ;)

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #18 on: Jun 02, 2010, 12:30 »
I was recently briefed at boot camp by a master chief stating that there is an exact mathematical formula applied, followed by personal preferences, followed by needs of the navy.  Needs of the navy was made to sound less important.  Aptitude was the highest indicator.  Then the ONE guy (every Friday) (not this master chief, someone in Tennessee) would look at what the computer generated via ASVAB scores and subscores, looked at personal preferences, and first put people in their best aptitude then moved them in order according to ASVAB score into their preferred rate.  This is where needs of the navy came in.  Each rate had to have some great scores, good scores, and ok scores.  ONE guy figured it out each and every Friday.  The computer "printout" creates rankings based on a combination of your AFQT, NAPT and ASVAB subscores.  If you did not take the NAPT, no worries, there is no advantage to taking it or not taking it, all else equal.  Prior service, private experience, college, AP courses, high school grades, personality,medical, waivers, financial, security clearance, etc. do not figure into this printout, nor does this ONE guy know about any of that.  It's that simple (COMPLICATED).

So, there most definitely is a magical formula.  While this is a recollection of a brief a few months ago and it may have been designed for recruits as opposed to staff I think it's accurate, at least its logical.  It is certainly recent.  If you do better at electronics, you might be an electronics technician or electrician's mate. Haha, needs of the navy.  So your ASVAB scores outdid yourself (grammar intentional).  ASVAB/AFQT/NAPT were "needs of the navy," too.  In any event, needs of the navy can also determine the magnitude of people needed in a rate.  There is a double track of MMs going through the pipeline now.  So, that pile of recruits was bigger, and there were 2 MMs for every 1 (ET+EM).  To me, it seems as if nearly everyone who wanted their rate got it.  Don't get freaked out if you don't get your preferred rate though, there are advantages to each.  If your an accidental MM, make your friends call you petty officer for three months in between when you graduate A-school and when they graduate.  Your job is different but you still get to work and live with your friends.  If your an EM on the outside but an ET on the inside, you still get to hang out at reactor controls.  If your an "MM" who turns out to be an ET or EM, you get the "comfort" of reactor controls or the benefit of electrical equipment/motors/gearheads/whatever.  Figure out how to put a 2 Farad capacitor in your labor of love car.  That'll teach 'em.

OK, enough of this nonsense... this is how it really works. They take you into this big room and put a kinda pointy hat on your head, only this isn't just a hat -- it has the face of Hyman Rickover on it and it talks. After it sits on your head for a minute or so and reads your nuclear soul, it announces which rate you get. All of that other crap is just lies told to the public to hide the truth.

It's true... I read it on the internet.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline crusemm

• Moderate User
« Reply #19 on: Jun 02, 2010, 12:35 »
OK, enough of this nonsense... this is how it really works. They take you into this big room and put a kinda pointy hat on your head, only this isn't just a hat -- it has the face of Hyman Rickover on it and it talks. After it sits on your head for a minute or so and reads your nuclear soul, it announces which rate you get. All of that other crap is just lies told to the public to hide the truth.

LMAO, That S**t is funny, I don't care who you are ;D ;D ;D ;D
+K

fireb0x

« Reply #20 on: Jun 02, 2010, 01:24 »

This seems like the most thorough and obvious method. Thanks for sharing!

I hope everybody gets the reference, otherwise they don't have the full picture in their head of the talking/wiggling hat, lol.

Absolutely hilarious.
« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2010, 01:25 by fireb0x »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #21 on: Jun 02, 2010, 08:39 »
Is there any sort of advice on where I can find this information or can any of you help me?

I'm sure there is room for one more MM3 on the Enterprise. Just sayin  ;)

fireb0x

« Reply #22 on: Jun 03, 2010, 12:36 »
I'm sure there is room for one more MM3 on the Enterprise. Just sayin  ;)

lol, thanks for the insight. I actually communicate alot with our regional/district nuke recruiter who was an EM1 on the Enterprise recently.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #23 on: Jun 03, 2010, 01:53 »
lol, thanks for the insight. I actually communicate alot with our regional/district nuke recruiter who was an EM1 on the Enterprise recently.

It's as if we're psychotically linked! ;)

Good luck with whatever you decide...

fireb0x

« Reply #24 on: Jun 03, 2010, 02:03 »
It's as if we're psychotically linked! ;)

Good luck with whatever you decide...

Thanks. Sometimes reading this forum makes me not want to be a nuke... It seems like the best and worst thing you guys ever did, lol.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?