Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Have an interview with Exelon honeypot

Author Topic: Have an interview with Exelon  (Read 33650 times)

Offline Phillip3364

• Light User
Have an interview with Exelon
« on: Feb 04, 2013, 02:01 »
I passed the POSS and BSMT in December and found out I was recommended for both tests a little after Christmas.  The position is for an AO job with Exelon. I never thought about going the commercial nuke route after the Navy.  Instead I went to college and got my  bachelors in Electronics Systems Technology.  Now I have been working as a technician and manager in maintenance in the automotive industry and with Caterpillar.  It has been four years since I was aboard a fast attack.  I am pretty excited to get an interview.  It is my first step to try and get into the nuclear industry.  Maintenance just doesn't pay what it used to.

I grew up around the Chicago suburbs so the site at Byron in Illinois is a great fit for me.  I have been putting together my resumes, evals, and educational transcripts for my interview.  I have looked over some of the star interviewing technique questions.  The interview is in a couple days.  Anything a couple of the more experienced members could suggest?  Anyone else interviewing for Byron? 

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
Re: Have an interview with Exelon
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2013, 03:42 »
Besides preparing for the STAR interview, when they ask "Do you have any questions?" Have some questions. Not about pay, benefits, etc, but about the company, plant, the future.

"I know I'm interviewing for AO right now, but I was wondering if there is a pathway to SRO one day?"

"I was reading that Byron did so and so, what can you tell me about that?"

"What community volunteer opportunities is Byron involved with?"

Stuff like that.

Good luck.

Justin

PS I should clarify, don't say "I read on the NRC website that Byron is up the crap creek without a paddle, why are you so messed up?" :)
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

nuke148

« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2013, 05:26 »
Looks like we have an interview for the same position.  Good luck.

Operator

« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2013, 07:20 »
Both candidates for Byron?
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2013, 07:20 by Operator »

nuke148

« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2013, 07:55 »
Yes.  Any advice?

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2013, 08:00 »
I hope you know the station facts.  Two Westinghouse 4 loop PWRS etc.
LM

Operator

« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2013, 08:16 »
Advice...

Everything Higgs said.

Realize that Exelon is fully invested in Human Performance (HU) to prevent mistakes at the lowest levels of severity in order to operate and administrate as close to perfection as humanly possible.

Not sure about your backgrounds, but think about work behaviors you have that are conducive to preventing errors...

Offline Phillip3364

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2013, 02:01 »
Thanks for the advice guys.  Good luck to you nuke148.  Maybe if we both get in and class up we will meet in real life.

My background.  6 years navy em on a fast boat.  Was elpo for about a year and a half qualified EWS first tour.  I was only qualified for around a year.  I have a degree in electronics systems technology and am working on my masters in quality engineering and management.  Been a maintenance supervisor for cat for around a year.  Times are slow in production, and I'm just contemplating a move to nuclear power.

Offline Phillip3364

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2013, 12:11 »
Well I did my interview seemed to go well.  I guess the waiting game begins now.  They said they have some more interviews next week and then I should know.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2013, 02:45 »
Keep us posted! Good luck!

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

mwdavis

« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2013, 05:11 »
Hang in there. Exelon almost always takes a while to get back to you. Don't despair when two or three weeks go by and you don't hear anything.

Offline Phillip3364

• Light User
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2013, 07:35 »
Well hopefully the wait won't kill me.  I did ask a general question about the next steps of the hiring phase and they told me three weeks but don't hold them to that. 

rjpijan

« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2013, 09:32 »
Do you know how many openings for equipment operators they had and how many were interviewing? It seems unlikely that they'd ever have more than 4-5 openings at once. I think most plants with two reactors have around 36 equipment operators, does this sound right?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2013, 09:53 »
I can't imagine they'd class up less than 10

Offline Phillip3364

• Light User
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2013, 11:37 »
The first person I spoke with in hr told me ten slots.  When I took the exams I heard eight slots.  I have no idea how many people they are interviewing.  There were around 15 people in my testing session and I know for a fact there was at least two testing sessions.  Who is to say how many people passed or who they had lined up that had passed a previous session.

That being said I don't care how many open slots there are as long as I get one...haha.  I was told specifically by hr not to apply to the opening in Marseilles so I am hoping they want me at Byron. 

As far as staffing is concerned I believe they said minimum manning was 10. 

Operator

« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2013, 06:17 »
Based on the numbers I have read in a case study comparing the Exelon fleet, a two unit plant typically classes up 8-15 and a single unit plant 6-8 and this is over the last 8 years.

Stuff to consider is min-staffing amongst NLOs, attrition, future license class sizes, etc etc etc...

My last plant has hired a class every two years since 2006

2006: 6
2008: 20
2010:20
2012: 15
2013: 11 projected hires

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2013, 09:23 »
Not applicable in this case, but some plants have recently been doing classes of SIX, whereas on the flipside ANO is doing a class of 30 coming up. Neither makes a whole bunch of sense.... this is coming from all the fleets too.

Phillip-
As far "actual" numbers vs "hiring" numbers, those can be diferent due to lateral transfers, or promotions inside the plant they are planning on.

How is it "Not applicable in this case" when the OP cited the number 10 twice in his post, which matched the number 10 in my post. ?!?!?

The first person I spoke with in hr told me ten slots.  When I took the exams I heard eight slots.  I have no idea how many people they are interviewing.  There were around 15 people in my testing session and I know for a fact there was at least two testing sessions.  Who is to say how many people passed or who they had lined up that had passed a previous session.

That being said I don't care how many open slots there are as long as I get one...haha.  I was told specifically by hr not to apply to the opening in Marseilles so I am hoping they want me at Byron. 

As far as staffing is concerned I believe they said minimum manning was 10. 
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2013, 09:24 by HydroDave63 »

Offline Phillip3364

• Light User
« Reply #17 on: Feb 12, 2013, 01:25 »
Guess I missed a post that got deleted.  Does anyone know if my offer will come via mail, email, or phone?  Exelon has also contacted me about being an electronics instructor.  I would rather go ops.  I see some electrical maintenance jobs posted as well.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2013, 03:04 »
Guess I missed a post that got deleted.  Does anyone know if my offer will come via mail, email, or phone?  Exelon has also contacted me about being an electronics instructor.  I would rather go ops.  I see some electrical maintenance jobs posted as well.

The official offer will be via mail, as there will be paperwork that you have to sign.

However, you might be given a "heads up" or courtesy call/email.

Justin

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #19 on: Feb 12, 2013, 03:33 »
Just remember that most companies have a system for internal movement.  Accepting an instructor position wouldn't mean you are stuck there forever, so it would still be worth considering, especially as you imply Byron is a good fit for you.

Offline Phillip3364

• Light User
« Reply #20 on: Feb 13, 2013, 12:21 »
I did not turn down the instructor position.  When asked I said I would be more then happy to interview for any position they felt I was qualified for with the company.

Offline Phillip3364

• Light User
« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2013, 01:07 »
Thanks to all of you for the advice.  I received a call from exelon today.  I interviewed last Wednesday and I guess I made an impression. 

Long story short they are still interviewing, but they wanted to extend me an offer.  I have been talking about working at Byron since I entered the Navy.  Looking forward to starting class in a couple months.

Any more advice you guys have for a guy starting out is welcome.  I'm sure I will be doing some more searching.  Thanks again.

Offline MacGyverFan1

• Light User
« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2013, 10:54 »
Congratulations Phillip.   I interviewed at the Quad Cities plant five weeks ago and still waiting to hear back, haven't called because I know they are still interviewing.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #23 on: Feb 14, 2013, 02:37 »
Congrats, stick around. Everyone seems to bail after getting in.

Justin

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #24 on: Feb 14, 2013, 02:38 »
Congratulations Phillip.   I interviewed at the Quad Cities plant five weeks ago and still waiting to hear back, haven't called because I know they are still interviewing.

Call.

Justin

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?