Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Jobs/Recruiters/Contact Information honeypot

Author Topic: Jobs/Recruiters/Contact Information  (Read 8200 times)

Offline nsorota

• Lurker
Jobs/Recruiters/Contact Information
« on: May 31, 2013, 03:43 »
New to the forums and had a couple of questions for the brilliant minds out here.

My fiance' is currently an RP doing outage work and I'm a cop. Her job travels and mine doesn't. So, I'm looking for a career change. I'd like to work and be on the move with her and I don't mind starting at the bottom (decon, helper, fire watch, etc.). I would consider the security field, but I've heard that they don't travel around and work outages like many other nuke jobs. (If that is incorrect please let me know).

I've got a pretty impressive resume in terms of law enforcement / security work. I also have a Bachelor of Science Degree in Interdisciplinary Studies. My background is flawless and I have fantastic references but they're all field specific to my current work.

So here are the questions I need help with. What types of jobs (specifically) should I be trying to get into? What recruiters/contract companies can I get in touch with that will look at me or point me in the right direction and look at a resume'?

In case my location is relevant I live in the Upstate of South Carolina. About 85 miles from Catawba and 75 miles from Oconee.

Thank you all in advance. If I can provide any further information please let me know.

-Nate

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Jobs/Recruiters/Contact Information
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 05:20 »
Starting at the bottom:
Deconer, laborer, fire watch, millwright helper (mechanical), electrical apprentice, carpenter helper (build scaffolds)

I believe that Duke Power still uses DZ Atlantic for their staffing needs. You could apply on their website, but I don't think it would get you anywhere. If your fiancé is working outages she should be able to find out who the site recruiter is and get you their phone number or get your resume to them. Every DZ site has a site recruiter that you must go through. Call once a day everyday. Your chances are better if you actually know someone who works in house. Good luck.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #2 on: Jun 01, 2013, 01:29 »
Make sure you tell recruiters that you and your fiance' are willing to go anywhere, that way they will get her in as a senior (there are usually a couple plants that are hard up for seniors) and you will be part of the deal.  Bartlett and Atlantic may be your only choices at this point.  There are some plants that use laborers instead of decon, and you may be able to get in on your own if your fiance' can get a contact, but usually no per diem.  You will get foot in door though.  This outage season doesn't look promising for getting many new people in however.

FME, Laborer, Fire Watch, Maintenance Helper, Deconner are the jobs I have seen open to newbies.  They are called by different monickers at different plants.

nukewood

« Reply #3 on: Jun 01, 2013, 10:46 »
Call Joey at Bartlett for potential job as firewatch or junior  decon or door watch at Duke plants in North and South Carolina. 800-225-0385

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Jun 02, 2013, 08:28 »
If you read some of the different posts about trying to get into the Nuke world you will see that it is getting harder to find entry level jobs. As Nukewood mentioned fire watch, jr decon posititions you will have to be prepared for shorter periods of employment, as they are usually the last people brought in and some of the first to be layed off. Plus a lot of entry level jobs are being filled with interns and recent graduates of all the RP co-op programs around the country. Then lets throw in the people losing their jobs at Kewanee, Crystal River and the DOE sites like Paducah that are shutting down. It is not a promising picture for getting started especially with no training. I'm not saying it can't be done but it will be very challenging and to leave a regular job and regular paycheck for maybe  10 -15 weeks of work per year can also put a strain on relationships.
 I wish you the best of luck with whatever decision you make.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #5 on: Jun 03, 2013, 07:37 »
If you read some of the different posts about trying to get into the Nuke world you will see that it is getting harder to find entry level jobs. As Nukewood mentioned fire watch, jr decon posititions you will have to be prepared for shorter periods of employment, as they are usually the last people brought in and some of the first to be layed off. Plus a lot of entry level jobs are being filled with interns and recent graduates of all the RP co-op programs around the country. Then lets throw in the people losing their jobs at Kewanee, Crystal River and the DOE sites like Paducah that are shutting down. It is not a promising picture for getting started especially with no training. I'm not saying it can't be done but it will be very challenging and to leave a regular job and regular paycheck for maybe  10 -15 weeks of work per year can also put a strain on relationships.
 I wish you the best of luck with whatever decision you make.

EXCELLENT point!   :(
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

nsz8

« Reply #6 on: Jun 04, 2013, 11:45 »
It really is a daunting challenge even when you have some help getting in your first couple of plants. It can be highly rewarding if you go into it with an open mind however. I do believe your question is how to get some direction getting in...

Call Bartlett, DZ Atlantic, Shaw and see if you can catch someones attention and maybe get a lucky break. Have to be ready to go on shorter notice as well because sometimes the jobs that came my way were on little to no notice and others were while I was currently employed and unavailable.

If you fiance is already in, she can make a difference potentially by mentioning that she would like to travel with someone else. Bottom line, get your resume in and call the offices until they realize you really want to work. They will find you something to do if they need you.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #7 on: Jun 04, 2013, 01:06 »
Have to be ready to go on shorter notice as well because sometimes the jobs that came my way were on little to no notice and others were while I was currently employed and unavailable.

Hiring On: "Can you be here yesterday?"

Lay Off: To day notice "Today's the day? Here's your last check."

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?