Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Ft St Vrain
honeypot

Author Topic: Ft St Vrain  (Read 11562 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Ft St Vrain
« on: Dec 23, 2003, 09:04 »
Talk about: Ft St Vrain
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2004, 12:41 by Rennhack »

DDD

Re: Talk about: Ft St Vrain
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2003, 11:50 »
Most interesting and challenging project that I have had the pleasure of being A part of in my 20 year tenure.Met alot of good people and long time friends also. Daryl D

DDD

« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2003, 12:11 »
By the way, I beleive I still have the last dpm under my fingernail

Kime_B

« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2003, 12:18 »
Most interesting and challenging project that I have had the pleasure of being A part of in my 20 year tenure.Met alot of good people and long time friends also. Daryl D

Ditto!  We had a good group of techs and crafts!

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2003, 11:06 »
Sure don't envy whoever had to do those last 400 bazillion survey points wayyyy above the refueling floor... :o[/quote]

I was one of those, on the overhead crane anyway.  I loved that job.  Some of the SEG mgnt were, well, pretty much
jerks (NO, I don't mean you Daryl ;D), but I had alot of fun there. I miss the skiing in Colorado, that's for sure.

Offline idrum4food

• Moderate User
  • If ya need air, rope, or wings to get ta where yur goin, ya don't need ta go.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2003, 06:51 »
Worked there for about six weeks writing survey packages with the bazillion survey points. Gerard is a good friend and CO is one of my most favorite places on the planet.

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Ft St Vrain
« Reply #6 on: Jun 17, 2007, 09:00 »
Had the opportunity to do the origional core load.  (Then they went on to poison the vessel before startup and had to begin all over again.) 
Almost went back during the D&D, so I could say I was there at the beginning and the end.
Worked with a great bunch of folks back then ;D
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Mitch257

Re: Ft St Vrain
« Reply #7 on: Jun 19, 2007, 06:02 »
I worked there during the 1980s as an operations trainer and as an I&C engineer.  Great plant, great people, great times.  Qualified as RO while in ops training, did a reactor startup.  My boss as a trainer was Rick Rivera, one of the best and most animated trainers I've ever met.  He could teach a class on something you would never do, and basically didn't have any interest in, and he'd make it interesting, and you'd learn the material despite yoursefl.   In Results (I&C) engineering, I worked for Jerry McAuley, another great guy, taught me a lot

It was a damn good plant but was not handled right, scared off all other HTGR orders, so became an orphan. 

There were problems preventing the plant from sustaining it's full rated 330Mw output, but it would run to about 80% anyway, what's interesting from a RadCon standpoint is I remember walking right up to the reactor vessel, big prestressed concrete structure IIRC 8 feet thick or more all over, and putting my hand right on it, it was cool to the touch, the dose rate so low I didn't even have a TID issued.  This at 80% power.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?