Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Dry Cask Storage  

Author Topic: Dry Cask Storage  (Read 17166 times)

wlrun3@aol.com

Dry Cask Storage
« on: Jul 02, 2008, 05:49 »

...is there an issue with the long term integrity of dry casks at Independent Spent Fuel Storage Installations...

Offline fueldryer

• Heavy User
  • Call Before You Dig !
Re: Dry Cask Storage
« Reply #1 on: Jul 02, 2008, 06:49 »

...is there an issue with the long term integrity of dry casks at Independent Spent Fuel Storage Installations...

What type of issue are you refering to?

Call Before You Dig!

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #2 on: Jul 02, 2008, 07:59 »

...point beach...

...aren't they good to just sit there and not be a problem for as long as we reasonably want...

matthew.b

« Reply #3 on: Jul 02, 2008, 08:19 »

Yeah, there is a major problem.  Luddites won't let us haul them off to reprocessing centers and recover the valuable unused U235 and plutonium in them.

Other than that, no...

Nuclear Renaissance

« Reply #4 on: Jul 02, 2008, 08:50 »
Stainless steel inside reinforced concrete, there for shielding and protection from external missiles and not because of internal pressure or stress/strain. Many of the interior steel portions are already designed for road transport if their destination ever becomes clear.

They will be fine for a long while.

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #5 on: Jul 02, 2008, 11:00 »
define "reasonably",....

...until there is a central repository...

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #6 on: Jul 03, 2008, 07:48 »
   ...until there is a central repository...

Not quite that long. Only about 1000 years or so.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2008, 03:39 »

...how many of the 65 sites have dry cask storage, how many have applied and how many have stated an intention to apply...

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #8 on: Oct 18, 2008, 01:08 »
Not quite that long. Only about 1000 years or so.

Or until Harry Reid is out of office (not a poly-sci thing just the reality of the Yucca situation)
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

matthew.b

« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2010, 03:03 »
I don't know how "good" I'd call the article.

The most egregious is: "Scientists from across the globe are searching for something better. Europe, Russia and Japan recycle spent fuel — meaning there is less waste to store. That practice was largely abandoned in the United States, because the process can produce weaponized plutonium, potentially sparking an international outcry."

No, it doesn't produce weaponized plutonium.  It makes reactor grade which is no where near as good for making a bomb.

"The waste will be fatal to humans and other animals for tens of thousands of years — yet the storage tombs are expected to last only a hundred years."

I think that makes it sound way worse than reality.  At 1000 years it isn't all that hot anymore.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?