Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Rate your fleet Experience! honeypot

Poll

How is/was your time on your Ship(s)/Boat(s)?  (Scale of 1-5 with 5 being the best)

(1)  I quit (or am/was planning to...).
20 (27.4%)
(2)  I hate(d) it, but I'm gonna stick it out.
13 (17.8%)
(3)  Extremely OK.  Got to see some ports and learn some stuff.
23 (31.5%)
(4)  Great people, Great job.  I could/did make a career of this.
15 (20.5%)
(5)  MCPON/CNO/NAVSEA 08 or Bust!  I'm pullin' a Rickover (he did 63 years active duty)!
2 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Rate your fleet Experience!  (Read 31888 times)

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
Re: Rate your fleet Experience!
« Reply #25 on: Mar 05, 2009, 07:00 »
The best days on a cruiser or destroyer were light duty days like these...
Bainbridge (Oh, somewhere else I read a comment that ships like this one were not cruisers.  Look at her, a 7,800 tons she was more then equal to light cruisers)

Decatur

I was on an aircraft carrier only once when I was helicopter transferred from the Decatur to the Constellation to observe EW exercises.  I must have been approached no less then 5 times by the MA for not wearing a ball cap (I didn't bring one because I think I would need one).  I was especially unimpressed when the Captain entered the EW area during exercises and some idiot called "Attention on deck".  I remained seated and just looked on in disbelief.
« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2009, 07:11 by DLGN25 »
Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

BuddyThePug

« Reply #26 on: Mar 08, 2009, 03:00 »
The best days on a cruiser or destroyer were light duty days like these...
Bainbridge (Oh, somewhere else I read a comment that ships like this one were not cruisers.  Look at her, a 7,800 tons she was more then equal to light cruisers)

Love the perspective view of this one, with the ASROC box behind the Mk 11 launcher....the ASROC rails on the Mk 11 were such a hassle to set up!  >:(

number41

« Reply #27 on: Mar 08, 2009, 06:44 »
I consider myself lucky because I got everything I ever wanted out of the Navy and more.  But I got out as a 13 yr MMC (SS/SW) because my priorities in life changed.  However, I DEFINITELY remember that there were alot of times that I absolutely hated the boat, the Navy, and everything related to it.  I heard a quote from a WWII veteran on television the other day, and he summed it up perfectly for me.  He said:

"I  loved [my military experience], and I wouldn't trade it for a million dollars, but I also wouldn't pay a nickel to do it over again."

Perfectly put in my opinion.

mlslstephens

« Reply #28 on: Mar 08, 2009, 07:09 »

"I  loved [my military experience], and I wouldn't trade it for a million dollars, but I also wouldn't pay a nickel to do it over again."

But I sure do enjoy spending that extra check each month.  :P

withroaj

« Reply #29 on: Oct 09, 2009, 12:00 »
Sure I'm digging up an old thread, but we have new posters here with new experience and views on the fleet.  Just bumping it up.

joncashk

« Reply #30 on: Oct 15, 2009, 09:49 »
Many nitpicks about my life aboard a carrier (Enterprise nontheless)

1. 3 section duty or out to sea for 80% of my tour
2. Standing afternoon and midwatch and then expected to do a 1700 workday afterwards in said 3 section duty.
3. It takes almost a week to get all 8 reactors up....and we almost never went full condition 1 unless we were in port for a month or greater.
4. Doing port and starboard or fast cruise to start up said reactors so we can get out to sea.
5. Airdales - Really good at making sure the chow line extended all the way aft and wrapped into the hangar bay.
6. Being able to support 6 section duty but going to 4 section duty to train for PORSE 10 months in advance.
7. "We have nothing to do but you need to stay just in case..."
8. 8 people (over half a duty sections worth) that have been waiting on HOD boards to qualify SIR for over 4 months (some for almost a year).
9. "Homey Hookups"  Don't feel like waiting in line or want a full pizza to yourself?  Just go give the secret handshake to the head CS on watch and bingo.

I'm sure I could come up with a lot more.  With all that being said...at least I'm not getting shot at.  This is the military and if it was easy everyone would do it.  I get a shower every night and I get to sleep in my own 6'x3' piece of home on the worst nights, something not everyone in the military can say.  A lot of the things listed above are personnel issues that could easily be adjudicated.  I will say that I love the comradery.  At least I had a lot of guys to sit around and b**** about things with.  Made it a little easier to deal with things and I've met people that I'll probably keep in touch with for the rest of my life. 

Offline Warmonger711

• Very Lite User
« Reply #31 on: Nov 03, 2009, 07:37 »
The joys of life on SSGN can summerized in the following:
1. port visits: welcome to guam /diego garcia and your not leaving.
2. oldest boat in the fleet: it's ancient, more shit gets held together with baling wire and duct tape.
3. We train like we fight: nope we train to train. Remember to complain about the training done at the end of the day. So that you can get that piece of maintainece done
4. Seals, Special Ops, Generals, CTI/CTE: your not gonna enjoy having additional 66 to 100 extra bastards onboard. And forget about hot food, they get fed first then the crew.
5. Manning issues, since they been trying to do the lean manning. Enjoy been port & stupid while underway due to lack of bodies in the nuclear divisions.
6. Since it was made into being a supposed career enhancing job & experience we get the pick of the diggits, idiots, bitter, angry and the cult of me personalities onboard.
7. Saturday, Sunday & Godawful Nights. (Enuff said.)
8. Every major run starting and ending with a major examination. The brain beating has got to stop.

SCCooper

« Reply #32 on: Nov 20, 2009, 03:23 »
Just signed and swore in yesterday.. leave in July.. these posts make me wonder if im making a huge mistake?!   ???

dave in St. Louis

« Reply #33 on: Feb 22, 2011, 06:22 »
The joys of life on SSGN can summerized in the following:
2. oldest boat in the fleet: it's ancient, more shit gets held together with baling wire and duct tape.

Oh dear God I feel old.  I remember when those boats were brand spanking new.

Dave <---- first RC Divver to report to USS Michigan Blue after commissioning.

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #34 on: Feb 22, 2011, 08:12 »
Oh dear God I feel old.  I remember when those boats were brand spanking new.

Since I'm assuming Warmonger711 was refering to the SSGN 587 and not the OHIO Class SSGNs, I do too! ;D
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
« Reply #35 on: Feb 22, 2011, 09:11 »
Boat 1:  SSBN 633B- Broke all the time (but never missed an underway).  Getting parts was easy.
Boat 2:  SSN 666- Old boat near the end of life.  Had to beg, borrow, and steal to get parts.  
Boat 3:  PCU/SSN 23- Initial manning to COH to Bangor.  Great experience.  Too bad a great crew was wasted in the shipyard.
Boat 3a: SSN 720.  Filled in when their E Div LCPO broke.  Rode her for most of deployment.  High stress leading up to launching tomahawks.  Drank 2 Heinekens in the CPO quarters.
Rode the following SSNs while in Squadron 4: 21, 22, 719, 755, 768, 774, 775, 776, 777, 778

SSBN:  Sucked bad on the boat.  Off-crew was great.
SSN:    Very hard work, but the best guys I served with (nuke and non-nuke).
New Con:  Way harder than it needed to be.  Easy to lose big picture.  Once again good people put in very tough work environment.
Squadron duty:  Loved the job for the most part.  Tried very hard to teach requirements instead of "best practices".  That is often easier said than done.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #36 on: Feb 22, 2011, 10:59 »
When did you ride 755?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #37 on: Feb 22, 2011, 11:53 »
I was probably one of the yardbirds in your Hawkbill days....small world! ;)

IPREGEN

« Reply #38 on: Feb 23, 2011, 08:35 »
The Navy taught me
how to vomit and maintain chemistry
that people bond through adversity
there are some f**ked people in the Navy
Some of them belong there
a crazy skipper will probably keep you alive longer
I can sleep through missile shoots
Sleep is more valuable than money
We will dump water to the bilge while on water hours (WTF?)
I will take a shower if we dump water to the bilge on water hours and be written up
some people will NEVER figure out how to use a sound powered phone (push to talk)
you'll be treated like sh*t then asked to reinlist
My rack mattress was 72" x 26" x 2.5", I am 74 inches tall
We could make high quality bilge wine using bug juice, rad con bottles and filtering it to crystal clear happiness
I have some friends for life

LaFeet

« Reply #39 on: Feb 23, 2011, 06:57 »
 I managed to overcome my claustrophobia by volunteering Subs.  I figured either I would beat it or it would get the better of me.

I guess the initial fear of stepping into the ketchup bottle prototype just did not compete with my curiosity of what was actually going on.

Only assigned three boats (671, 597 & 738) but rode many too sea for inspections and what not.

I have only been seasick once in my life, during Alpha trials on the 738..... worse than anything was everyone else puking around me.  After two days I let go finally.

As for my overall experience.  It was as good as I think I could have made it.  I served with some real jerks, a few creeps, and some guys that i would be honored to call brothers.

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
« Reply #40 on: Feb 23, 2011, 08:52 »
When did you ride 755?

First time 2006, last time Fall 2008.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #41 on: Feb 23, 2011, 09:33 »
Only assigned three boats (671, 597 & 738) but rode many too sea for inspections and what not.

There's the other one-of-a-kind!  My baby and my hated 597!
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #42 on: Feb 24, 2011, 10:16 »
First time 2006, last time Fall 2008.

Ah, after my time then.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #43 on: Feb 24, 2011, 10:40 »
Hmm, I just realized I never "rated" my fleet experience, so here goes.

I reported to the USS Miami, SSN-755 out of Groton, Ct, right after she returned from a deployment on which she shot missiles in two different theaters. On the way home, they earned an Excellent on orse... life was good on the boat.

I didn't realize just how highly regarded the Miami was at that time until I was walking around subase doing my check ins, and I was being stopped in the street by Chiefs and officers saying things like "You are on the Miami? That must be amazing!!!" etc etc etc. So, I was getting excited about being on such an awesome boat.

I quickly learned why this boat was so awesome... the Skipper was awesome. So was the XO, the Eng, the Nav, the Cob and the EDMC. The stars aligned for the Miami during this period, and a terrific cadre of senior leadership was on board. The best of them all, though, was the CO.

This guy simply new how to lead men. For example, in port field day was scheduled from 8-12 every Friday. However, never once, under this CO, did we actually complete a 4 hour field day. The crew knew, that about an hour into field day, the Skipper was going to walk around the boat to check on cleanliness and how hard everyone was working. If he was satisfied, they knew he was going to put liberty down for everyone, so the entire crew, including officers and chiefs, busted their A$$ES during that hour or so. And sure enough, the skipper would walk through and then get on the 1MC and say something like, "Well I just got done walking around the boat, the ship is clean, everyone is working hard, and A gang threatened to do unnatural things to me if I didn't put liberty down, so liberty is down by the CO." It was pretty sweet working what was effectively a 4 day week.

Another anecdote, is when I was only in my third or fourth week of being on board, it was the middle of a beautiful summer, and I passed the Skipper in the middle level passage way when he stopped me and asked; "Petty Officer Crocker, have you taken leave since you've been here?" I replied "No sir, I've only been here a few weeks, and I am not qualified anything, so I didn't think I should take leave just yet." He ordered "I want to see a 2 week leave chit by the end of the day." "Wow," I thought.

I could go on and on and on about how fantastic he was as a Skipper. He simply knew human nature and how to get the most out of his men. The crew was happy, I was happy and the boat was happy as it raked in accolade after accolade. I thought, "wow, if this is what life is going to be like on a boat, I could do this forever." I reenlisted.

Then my next CO showed up. He doesn't even get the honor of being called skipper by me. He was the complete opposite, a tyrant. In fact, to this day, the most uncomfortable event I ever witnessed in the Navy was the dressing down of my XO, who was awesome, by this CO in front of the entire crew. He often yelled and stomped his feet. The boat went from earning exellents in Orse, TRE and everything else to below average on every inspection under this guy. The crew was miserable, reenlistment's nearly ceased, I regretted my decision. He was basically a ship yard CO, as much as his tour was spent taking the boat through DMP. He drove us hard because he wanted the fasted DMP ever, in the hopes that "they" would let him take this boat on a deployment. He got his wish, we performed the fasted DMP ever at that time, but "they" didn't let him take this boat on the deployment that was scheduled soon after. This further added to his frustration, which was then directed at the crew.

I just happened to be the maneuvering watch bridge phone talker for most of my time on the boat, and one of the things that stood out to me near the end of his tour, is that when we returned from our last underway under his command, I extended my hand to shake his as he departed the bridge and say, "It was good serving with you, Sir." Sure, it wasn't true, but still the right thing to do I thought. He looked at my hand, refused to take it and said, "I wish I could say the same."

So to make a long story short, my fleet experience started at a 5+ and ended on a 1-. Besides that bad CO, we also had a string of bad COBs and EDMCs that didn't help things. I went from the biggest diggit in the Navy to one of the most bitter.

Fortunately now thought, as time from EAOS gets bigger, only happy memories remain. I have once again, become a post-EAOS diggit and tell sea stories with the best of them.

For that, I am happy.

YMMV.
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2011, 10:42 by JustinHEMI »

bluenose

« Reply #44 on: Feb 24, 2011, 10:34 »
Excellent post, Justin.

bluenose

« Reply #45 on: Feb 24, 2011, 10:40 »
I see that for the most part, everyone is being honest and straight from the ♥.  Good Stuff.  I spent most of my 23 years in the Nuclear Navy, Subs or teaching.  Detours into 2nd class diving and EOD.  The best thing about my Fleet experience, the people.  Sure, we all had NUB's, qualified or not........But for the most part, given some imaginable task, some incomprehensible deadline, the Sailors I worked for/with, met it every time.  Unbelievable group of folks serving.
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2011, 10:42 by bluenose »

dave in St. Louis

« Reply #46 on: Feb 25, 2011, 02:36 »
Since I'm assuming Warmonger711 was refering to the SSGN 587 and not the OHIO Class SSGNs, I do too! ;D

Did HALIBUT ever pull into Diego Garcia?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?