Home | Search | Help | Advertising | Contact Us | Bookmark and Share

NukeWorker.com, Nuclear Jobs & Nuclear Resumes
Jr. RP's
Thomas Edison State College
Jr. RP's

NukeWorker.com, Nuclear Jobs & Nuclear Resumes

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Forgot your password?

Related:

Nuclear Jobs
  Nuclear News

OSHA HAZWOPER
  Outage Schedules
  Gold Members
  Donate
  Nuke Shop
  Advertise

People online
74 Guests, 2 Users (1 Hidden)

Trecker987
View members:
View All Members
View By Letter
Search for User
View Top Posters

NukeWorker Forum
Oct 22, 2014, 05:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Jr. RP's  (Read 32107 times)
kbaxendale
Light User

View Profile
« on: Mar 23, 2010, 06:12 »

I am currently a student, and I am working at Comanche Peak right now doing my co-op. I will graduate in August with a Environmental Health and Safety major and a Health Physics minor.  Does anyone know the easiest way to get into the nuclear industry besides going on the road?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks
kbaxendale
Light User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2010, 07:07 »

I thought about that. I am thinking it might be a little difficult having three young children. I also owe a year of my life to the NRC since they have paid for my schooling. Any other ideas?
Cathy
NRRPT
Heavy User

Just an HP

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2010, 08:22 »

I am currently a student, and I am working at Comanche Peak right now doing my co-op. I will graduate in August with a Environmental Health and Safety major and a Health Physics minor.  Does anyone know the easiest way to get into the nuclear industry besides going on the road?

Thanks
Doing a fine job at the Peak I might add  Smiley

"The secret to being smart is knowing what you are dumb about"  Advice from a cheap fortune ccokie.
105KW
Moderate User

Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2010, 11:07 »

Thanks

Don't know if your interested, but Hanford  is still in the hiring mod for techs..even Jrs with college.

If interested drop me a note and  I'll point you in the right direction for the contact. Wink

105KW
Bonds 25
Moderate User

HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2010, 11:25 »

"Don't know if your interested, but Hanford  is still in the hiring mod for techs..even Jrs with college"

AND you would get to live in the Tri-Cities !!!!!  Smiley

"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld
105KW
Moderate User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2010, 12:20 »

"Don't know if your interested, but Hanford  is still in the hiring mod for techs..even Jrs with college"

AND you would get to live in the Tri-Cities !!!!!  Smiley

didn't say it would be perfect Tongue...Just puts milk on the table. Roll Eyes
UncaBuffalo
AOV Tester Wannabe
Very Heavy User

Not All Who Wander Are Lost

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2010, 11:23 »

I thought about that. I am thinking it might be a little difficult having three young children. I also owe a year of my life to the NRC since they have paid for my schooling. Any other ideas?

The way I read that is that you are going to be employed by the NRC?  So if things go right, you should be able to stay with them after the year is up?  If so, stay NRC until you have your ANSI 3.1 time...then the world is your oyster - esp. with 'NRC' at the top of your resume...

Some day, you say, you'll have your fun when you're a millioniare.
Imagine all the fun you'll have in some old rocking-chair.
      - Todd Snider

Smiley  Smiley  Smiley  Smiley Smiley  Smiley  Smiley
kbaxendale
Light User

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 2010, 03:35 »

I am interested in going anywhere a full time job is. Will Hanford still be hiring in August?
kbaxendale
Light User

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 01, 2010, 03:36 »

And Thank You Cathy!
shaynek
Lurker

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 01, 2010, 07:53 »

As far as i know hanford is not hiring i check there web site daily I passed the doe core test last december so if you know if they are  not hiring i would really like to know where you are getting your information from!!!!  Thanks
105KW
Moderate User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: Jun 25, 2010, 05:46 »

uuuhhhh...I work there  Tongue .  The last hires were this month and about 3 dozen hired in May. If your an RCT and your not working ( because you can't land a job ) something else is wrong.  There are over 800 just at Hanford right now.

Good Luck
hamsamich
Very Heavy User

And did I hear a 9er in there?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: Jun 25, 2010, 07:52 »

Are there really that many junior jobs at Hanford 105kw?

"No, she gets a special cologne. It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries. Yep, it's made with bits of real panther. So you know it's good."
105KW
Moderate User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: Jun 26, 2010, 09:48 »

Are there really that many junior jobs at Hanford 105kw?

Maybe I wasn't clear...Sorry. There are 800 ( as of today ) RCT's...I would say close to 100 are new trainees.  Some have just completed their first 6 months.  Normal staffing at  Hanford  ( excluding PNL ) is about the 500 mark.

Sorry gain if I wasn't clear :-)

105KW
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2010, 09:49 by 105KW » Logged
doctormoo
Senior Radiation Protection Technician
Moderate User

retirement is great!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: Jun 26, 2010, 04:33 »

contact a freind of mine named mike shannon hes a supervisor down there in yur texas office of the nrc(the ground shakes when he would walk on site)  tell himm kevin brow told yu to call him he was my push in the nukes ask him on which way to go plus hes got the pull for a nice job with agency
kbaxendale
Light User

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 12, 2010, 08:49 »

contact a freind of mine named mike shannon hes a supervisor down there in yur texas office of the nrc(the ground shakes when he would walk on site)  tell himm kevin brow told yu to call him he was my push in the nukes ask him on which way to go plus hes got the pull for a nice job with agency

How would I go about getting in touch with him?
kbaxendale
Light User

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 12, 2010, 09:09 »

Ok I was in Salt Lake City two weeks ago at the Health Physics conference, I heard from several presenters how badly the commercial nuke industry needed people and how many jobs were out there.

Does anyone know what they were talking about because everyone is looking for people with at least three years experience.  Can anyone tell me how to gain that experience without going outage to outage or going the DOE route.
MeterSwangin
Moderate User

Somebody get decon!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 12, 2010, 09:20 »

Ok I was in Salt Lake City two weeks ago at the Health Physics conference, I heard from several presenters how badly the commercial nuke industry needed people and how many jobs were out there.

Does anyone know what they were talking about because everyone is looking for people with at least three years experience.  Can anyone tell me how to gain that experience without going outage to outage or going the DOE route.

Sorry.  Are you asking how you can get experience without working?

Amigo, what you need is a......................UNION!
HenryBlack
Moderate User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: Jul 13, 2010, 05:01 »

Sorry.  Are you asking how you can get experience without working?

Even if you join a UNION with "no experience" you will still have to work outages to get your time in; and get the experience you need to become a better Rad-Worker.
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010, 10:37 by HenryBlack » Logged
kbaxendale
Light User

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 13, 2010, 03:30 »

Sorry.  Are you asking how you can get experience without working?

No I want to work to gain my experience, I just want to do it with a full time HOUSE position, not traveling from outage to outage or doing clean up.

I will graduate in August with a Safety Compliance degree with a minor in Health Physics.
kbaxendale
Light User

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 13, 2010, 03:34 »

What you have to do if you don't want to work outages is either go to school and get a degree. That will get you some time towards your ANSI quals or find a plant that is hiring and take a house job. In my opinion that is the best route to take.

Even if you join a UNION with "no experience" you will still have to work outages to get your time in; and get the experience you need to become a better Rad-Worker.

I am in school right now and I have almost a year experience working in a lab setting and I worked the 1RF14 outage at Comanche Peak as a JR., but now I am looking for a house position where I can plant my feet.
JsonD13
Moderate User

The man, the myth, the legend........the janitor!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: Jul 14, 2010, 08:04 »

The problem you'll find is that there isnt much out there for a house Jr. RP tech.  Most of what I've seen, plants only want senior techs for house techs, which you need more experience for.

Jason
IPREGEN
« Reply #21 on: Jul 14, 2010, 10:39 »

Aim in a different direction than junior tech, look in other ares such as environmental or dosimetry. If your degree is applicable you would be surprised what you may be able to do. I'm referring to management jobs, not union.
HenryBlack
Moderate User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: Jul 14, 2010, 12:11 »

You really should be looking into getting a house job in Safety instead of RP anyway. Safety personnel are usually paid more.  Good luck
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010, 01:24 by HenryBlack » Logged
kbaxendale
Light User

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jul 14, 2010, 05:43 »

You really should be looking into getting a house job in Safety instead of RP anyway. Safety personnel are usually paid more. The Utilities are always looking for Safety people. Good luck

Where would be a good place to look for safety positions with utilities? I have been looking for those as well and have not seen any that were not requiring at least 5 yrs exp.
mostlyharmless
« Reply #24 on: Jul 14, 2010, 07:28 »

Entry level at a DOE. It'll be easy and you ll be safe and likely not assigned to anything that can get you or anyone else hurt,overexposed, etc. If not, then pay your dues like the rest of us. You will learn a lot more of value.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: