Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu How do I get started with Outage work
honeypot

Author Topic: How do I get started with Outage work  (Read 11681 times)

radwill

How do I get started with Outage work
« on: Apr 16, 2014, 01:04 »
I am an HP and I have never worked at a nuclear power plant. I have worked decommissioning at DOE labs, medical hp work, soil jobs, and hp tech instruction. Looking to give outage work a try. Any suggestions

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Re: How do I get started with Outage work
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2014, 01:38 »
I am an HP and I have never worked at a nuclear power plant. I have worked decommissioning at DOE labs, medical hp work, soil jobs, and hp tech instruction. Looking to give outage work a try. Any suggestions

Call 1.800.225.0385

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline btkeele

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2014, 02:24 »
To be honest most of your experience will not transfer... there are a lot of DOE type jobs out there right now and if you look at the fall outage season you will be getting 1 outage at most.  With the way the commercial side is going right now, short outages all at the same time, it may not be the best time to make the jump.  Good luck to you though.

Ed

« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2014, 05:32 »
Any suggestions

I think best "suggestion" for you would be to look elsewhere. Dig deep and find out what else you can do. Reinvent yourself. Nuclear power plants are cutting back on number of contract employees, on outage duration and on contractor pay. They have to keep competitive with fossil fuel plants benefiting from booming fracking technology. Few refueling outage contract positions in Fall would be filled readily and very quickly by returnees.  you can check this site regularly Nonetheless. good luck to You.

Offline Simple Country HP

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 18, 2014, 03:02 »
Call Bartlett at 1-800-225-0385. A good person to talk to is Eric Bartlett at x1289. You need to submit a current resume on the Bartlett website and get into the system. Make friends of the recruiters, both commercial and DOE.

Commercial nuclear is not easy to get into but it can be done. At the best you will start as a junior tech (since your are HP) and jobs can be hard to get. But if you want to do it don't let anyone here naysay you. In commercial nuclear it is never "a good time" to get in.

Keep your options open. You can work both DOE and commercial and you have also done training. What you are doing is adding another string to your bow.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #5 on: Apr 18, 2014, 09:39 »
watt is yore hp education background? if yew are ex-navy then going two the power plants will not be that difficult. if you started as a laborer on a dirt job, shifted to hp, got on atta d.o.e. site an worked up to instructor it will bee moor difficult. yule knead to reach out threw friends of friends while following udder advice posted hear. good luck and keep dialing.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #6 on: Apr 19, 2014, 08:45 »
..... In commercial nuclear it is never "a good time" to get in.....

1979 was,.... never say never,....

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #7 on: Apr 19, 2014, 11:19 »
1979 was,.... never say never,....
1976 wuz even bettor, no stress on the industry from plants with bubble issues.  ::)
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Apr 21, 2014, 09:28 »
1976 wuz even bettor, no stress on the industry from plants with bubble issues.  ::)

First commercial plant, Maine Yankee.  June 1979.
LM

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #9 on: Apr 21, 2014, 10:45 »

I think he was referring to TMI, demand for techs exceeded supply.

Spell check only flagged one of your words, you are slacking.  ;)

radwill

« Reply #10 on: Apr 21, 2014, 11:54 »
Thanks for all the great advice.

Content1

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 08:57 »
reconsider the idea.  I am gone a lot and considered getting a house cleaner.  I found they charge $32 per hour.  Even a senior HP with 5 years only get $28.33 with Excelon.  A maid gets $32 per hour?  Either maid salaries are up or we are in the wrong business.  Clean houses without traveling and the hassles of security.

Offline gravy58

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 05:44 »
Don't do it. As a friend of mine dad once said "sounds like a bad career choice"?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 10:52 »
Negative Nellies.

surf50

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 12:57 »

If you want to work an outage, then go for it. You won't know anything about it if you don't try it. One outage won't kill you.

A maid gets $32 per hour?  Either maid salaries are up or we are in the wrong business.  Clean houses without traveling and the hassles of security

Don't be ridiculous. The cleaning company may get $32/hr, but they certainly don't pay their employees that much. Nor do they work 72's or receive P.D.  ::)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2014, 09:18 »
Don't be ridiculous. The cleaning company may get $32/hr, but they certainly don't pay their employees that much. Nor do they work 72's or receive P.D.  ::)

As a self employed business man, I can promise that the government gets at least $13 of that.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?