Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Solar Wind Downdraft Tower  

Author Topic: Solar Wind Downdraft Tower  (Read 8159 times)

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Solar Wind Downdraft Tower
« on: Jun 19, 2014, 04:02 »
Interesting concept, coming to a desert near you.

http://www.gizmag.com/solar-wind-energy-downdraft-tower/32607/

Chimera

Re: Solar Wind Downdraft Tower
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19, 2014, 05:07 »
Interesting concept, coming to a desert near you.

http://www.gizmag.com/solar-wind-energy-downdraft-tower/32607/

Interesting . . . until we see how much water we'll have to pipe to it and determine where the water will come from.  I can hear LA and Vegas screaming now.  I wonder if the increase in humidity will have an impact on the local ecology.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 19, 2014, 10:35 »
  I saw this a number of years ago in Scientific American one of the side benefits is that it cleans particulates out of the air. It does need a water source but then Palo Verde solved that problem for it's cooling towers.

Offline cypher89

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Jun 21, 2014, 05:56 »
From the SWP in California which also pumps large amounts of water over a high lift of 2000 ft it consumes 3000 kwh per acre foot of water.  Pretty hard to image this idea would even be self sustaining from a net power prospective.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: Jun 21, 2014, 06:57 »
From the SWP in California which also pumps large amounts of water over a high lift of 2000 ft it consumes 3000 kwh per acre foot of water.  Pretty hard to image this idea would even be self sustaining from a net power prospective.

Exactly right! This is another one of these bridge-to-nowhere techy ideas, right up there with the carbon nanofiber Space Elevator, Skylon ramjet airliners flying Mach 10 at edge of space, and cargo train tunnel from China-under-Bering-Sea-to-US ideas that would be somewhere between impractical and downright dangerous if attempted.

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
« Reply #5 on: Jul 02, 2014, 08:32 »
If this technology works as well as described, I'm wondering if nukes are looking at retrofits of their cooling towers to incorporate it. Be one heck of a Green PR move.
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jul 02, 2014, 10:09 »
If this technology works as well as described, I'm wondering if nukes are looking at retrofits of their cooling towers to incorporate it. Be one heck of a Green PR move.

I doubt the cooling spray would overcome the waste heat from a 1000 MW reactor.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #7 on: Jul 02, 2014, 10:28 »
This is not new, this is a better tech paper than the infomercial at the beginning of the thread:

http://www.climatetechwiki.org/technology/energy_tower

from 2001:

http://www.transnational-renewables.org/Gregor_Czisch/projekte/new_et-brochure_zaslavsky.pdf

the big issue is return on the investment,...

deserts with large populations of well paid citizens which can afford commercial power rates in close proximity to the producing towers are a limited scenario on the world stage,...

for Israel, one of the significant drawbacks was security,...

towers 3000 feet tall and over a hundred feet in diameter are just too big a target for people who like to blow things up to make a statement,...

same problem for us (USA), the big one envisioned for Arizona will be right on the border with Mexico,...

arguably one of the most porous borders in the Western Hemisphere,...

imagine spending 300 million dollars to build a spectacular monument to clean energy only to have a bunch of psychotics across the Mexican border zero in on it from 3 plus miles away with surplus mortars from the USSR pounding your huge electricity making pipedream into a shamble of rubbled wreckage,...

all this as the bought off Federales take their sweet time getting to the scene of the perpetrators only to report the perps escaped into who knows where (probably with kids in tow, to north of the border, seeking humanitarian asylum),...

I'm just saying, these are very real concerns, the best places for these machines quite often do not have populations with enough disposable income to afford the monthly bill or, they are not in the most secure of locales for such a huge soft target,...

Maybe Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Iran and places of that ilk,...

Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Libya or within 20 miles of the US-Mexico border!?!?!?

not so much,....  [coffee]

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Jul 02, 2014, 04:44 »
I doubt the cooling spray would overcome the waste heat from a 1000 MW reactor.
That would be a volume vs. time design challenge, wouldn't it?
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jul 02, 2014, 09:32 »
That would be a volume vs. time design challenge, wouldn't it?

No thermodynamics, falling water and rising vapor. The downdraft depends on cooling the air as well as entraining it to cause a downward flow. The designs I saw a decade ago were intended for coastal areas where colder water from deeper depths in the ocean were used to drive the down draft. Rising vapor from hot water in a nuclear plant cooling towers would counter the downdraft.

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Jul 10, 2014, 08:22 »

i was thinking of the Second Law of Thermodynamics where, differences in temperature even out over time.
The time/volume design would most likely involve massive volume for the system. That would incorporate more time into the process. But, these towers are already designed to be almost a half mile high. Larger diameter should make the system operable, the challenge is the design.
A REM is a REM is a REM

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jul 10, 2014, 01:27 »
i was thinking of the Second Law of Thermodynamics where, differences in temperature even out over time.
The time/volume design would most likely involve massive volume for the system. That would incorporate more time into the process. But, these towers are already designed to be almost a half mile high. Larger diameter should make the system operable, the challenge is the design.

The tower is not a closed cycle system the second law does not apply.

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Jul 13, 2014, 08:03 »
   No thermodynamics, falling water and rising vapor. The downdraft depends on cooling the air as well
My bad, sorry. I didn't realize you meant no thermodynamics were involved but only falling water and rising vapor.
A REM is a REM is a REM

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #13 on: Jul 13, 2014, 08:36 »
My bad, sorry. I didn't realize you meant no thermodynamics were involved but only falling water and rising vapor.

Well not quite, as there is a transfer of energy in the form of heat, thermodynamics is involved. The transfer of energy is diametrically opposed. A cooling tower transfers heat (warm water) to the air causing an updraft that further adds to the cooling, if not just use a cooling pond. The downdraft tower uses cool water that transfers heat from the air in addition to entrainment causing a downdraft that is utilized at the base of the tower to produce power.
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2014, 10:59 by Marlin »

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #14 on: Jul 14, 2014, 10:15 »
Well, I said it would be a challenge.  ;)
A REM is a REM is a REM

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #15 on: Jul 14, 2014, 10:46 »
Well, I said it would be a challenge.  ;)

“The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it.”
― Molière

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #16 on: Jul 14, 2014, 09:08 »
“The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it.”
― Molière

Is it powered by Fusion8)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?