Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Shore Duty honeypot

Author Topic: Shore Duty  (Read 7810 times)

Hilariousity

Shore Duty
« on: Jul 21, 2014, 11:08 »
So I'm thinking of re-enlisting. At this point in time, I'm ok with where ever the navy sends me for shore duty. Lets say in the future I hate everything about the navy and just want to get out. How would I go about trying to get one of the cushier shore duties that will do nothing for my career like recruiting duty as opposed to prototype or shipyard?

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Re: Shore Duty
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22, 2014, 02:19 »
He thinks that recruiting duty is 'cushy'...

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Jul 22, 2014, 05:30 »
Well, you can try to screen for NNPTC (if you're EWS/PPWS qualified), but that puts you in for prototype as well or you can refuse to screen for instructor or recruiter and hope your detailer is willing to send you to Repair (Charleston) or MTG (NY), but you might get sent to another ship if you try that. To be honest, prototype isn't really hard, it just has an annoying schedule rotation (which might be changing in the future) and the occasional (class of) students that cause trouble.

Samabby

« Reply #3 on: Jul 22, 2014, 08:05 »
Thanks for the time served thus far, but it sounds as if it's time for you to move along. A career decision, military or civilian, should be made with more passion & commitment than you have exhibited in your inquiry. Good luck in your chosen career.  8)

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Jul 23, 2014, 06:51 »
So I'm thinking of re-enlisting. At this point in time, I'm ok with where ever the navy sends me for shore duty. Lets say in the future I hate everything about the navy and just want to get out. How would I go about trying to get one of the cushier shore duties that will do nothing for my career like recruiting duty as opposed to prototype or shipyard?
If you want to avoid prototype, don't reenlist. It's a critical billet for nukes and is considered career-enhancing because it allows motivated Sailors to get an EWS/EOOW qual. The Navy is going to try to put you on a path to make Master Chief for as long as you wear a uniform.

Your way to have a chance at circumventing this process is to either:

A) Have such bad power school/prototype grades and evals that you are a perma E-4 in the fleet, which means the Navy will kick you out after shore duty anyway or...
B) Qualify EWS on the boat, make E-6, get shit-hot evals, and hope that you get a job teaching A-school or NNPS.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Jul 24, 2014, 08:29 »
And, as far as 'B' goes, there is almost no chance of getting a tour at A School or Power School without a tour at prototype these days. Folks with way more experience and time in want those jobs, so they're higher on the list.

Offline drhoades25

• Lurker
« Reply #6 on: Jul 25, 2014, 01:00 »
Ship yard duty is not too bad, the hours are much better than prototype, and the work is not too bad. This of course depends heavily on which yard you go to and what shop you work for, I am currently a RCT at Pearl Harbor I don't stand duty and rarely if ever work over 8 hours a day. Although it may not be "cushy"  it's WAY better than any sea duty. I will say this though any where you go can either stall your career or help you advance its all what you put into it. This shore duty has done nothing to help me advance in the navy (I am not watch supervisor qualified) however I learned how to be a Radcon Tech, and I am currently an instructor which I hope helps me when I get out. Moral of the story if you want to stay in, reenlist. If you want to get out then get out, but realize there is always more training and experience to be had if your willing to stick it out.

holicisms

« Reply #7 on: Aug 11, 2014, 07:17 »
RCOH vs prototype, which would you all prefer?

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #8 on: Aug 11, 2014, 05:43 »
RCOH vs prototype, which would you all prefer?

RCOH..... Until testing starts
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline drhoades25

• Lurker
« Reply #9 on: Aug 14, 2014, 04:01 »
I was on the 70 for most of the RCOH and I have to say at first it was great we were over manned and did not have much work. That being said once testing started we were under manned and had too much work, we did shift work for a good chunk of it. RCOH is not bad, but it is far from ideal, if I had the chance to go back and choose prototype over RCOH I would go with prototype you will end up getting more from it especially if you can get watch sup. any how that's my thoughts feel free to pm me if you have any questions on it.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?