Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu What happens to your rating when you "wash out" of the navy nuclear program? honeypot

Author Topic: What happens to your rating when you "wash out" of the navy nuclear program?  (Read 15266 times)

Offline TheStudentLife

• Lurker
Hello all,

I'm new here. I asked this question on yahoo answers, and I was wondering if any of you can add any further input.

Yahoo Answers Link Here:
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20140820125354AA8gPkb

My question is:
If one would drop out of nuclear school, would they be able to receive their second rating of choice? I'm a little skeptical because my original rating of choice was cryptological technician (CT), but my recruiters are pushing me to be nuke. I have some interests in nuke, but I'm a little intimidated by the material. The recruiter told me that I would be assigned to CT if I failed.

Yahoo answers was telling me that my re-rating would be determined on the reasons as to why I failed. And that, the re-rating would be entirely at the discretion of the Navy.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2014, 08:21 by TheStudentLife »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Hello all,

I'm new here. I asked this question on yahoo answers, and I was wondering if any of you can add any further input.

Yahoo Answers Link Here:

My question is:
If one would drop out of nuclear school, would they be able to receive their second rating of choice? I'm a little skeptical because my original rating of choice was cryptological technician (CT), but my recruiters are pushing me to be nuke. I have some interests in nuke, but I'm a little intimidated by the material. The recruiter told me that I would be assigned to CT if I failed.

Yahoo answers was telling me that my re-rating would be determined on the reasons as to why I failed. And that, the re-rating would be entirely at the discretion of the Navy.

Thanks.

Fleet Needs More A-Gang!!  8)

Offline Brittlefracture

• Lurker
If you have already completed nuke "A" school as an ET or EM or MM you will likely go to the fleet as a conventional of that particular rate. Your recruiter is full of it as they all are for the most part. You can apply or beg all day long to be a CT but really it comes down to the needs of the navy and not your needs.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Hello all,

Yahoo Answers Link Here:

My question is:

Thanks.
There is no 'dropping out' of nuke school. There are people who are kicked out for poor performance. If your CoC suspects you aren't putting in the effort because you changed your mind, you will go to mast and lose pay/rate/freedom before you are kicked out.

If you are kicked out and you are a sub vol, you'll go to A-gang or torpedoman (MM) or Nav ET. If you're an EM they'll send you to a surface ship as an EM. You will not be a CT.

Offline Radwraith

• Heavy User
  • How much am I getting for this?
There is no 'dropping out' of nuke school. There are people who are kicked out for poor performance. If your CoC suspects you aren't putting in the effort because you changed your mind, you will go to mast and lose pay/rate/freedom before you are kicked out.

If you are kicked out and you are a sub vol, you'll go to A-gang or torpedoman (MM) or Nav ET. If you're an EM they'll send you to a surface ship as an EM. You will not be a CT.
The recruiter can only give you what you were guaranteed in writing! At this stage you have the power. Not so much once you're in! If your more interested in being a CT than that's probably where you should go as you will be more likely to succeed simply because of your interest. As a side note: Take it from a former Electronic warfare technician (Which is what now is called CTT's); It's a pretty cool gig!
Remember the seven P's: Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Unfortunately for you there is only one honorable way out of nuclear power and remaining in the Navy, officer program.

As a CREO 1 rating there are no rating conversion allowed between the various enlisted ratings.

If you are certain that nuclear power is not for you you basically have two options wait out your six year hitch and then find your true calling in the civilian world. Or perform at an exceptional level and apply for the various officer programs available check with your Command Career Counselor, or Section Adviser if your still in training.

For myself I hated nuke power did it for ten years (mistake) got out and work in IT as Sr Software Developer for a manufacturing company. You are just begining your working career there is lots of time to find new directions in it, just keep you head up and do your best in whatever you do.

GoWest

Important point: if you volunteered for submarines, you will still be going to submarines. So think about that choice carefully, since the jobs will be limited. You can always volunteer later in the program, but it will cost you part of the backpay. If the backup job that you want isn't on a submarine, then don't volunteer. You can unvolunteer for submarines just about as easily as you can unvolunteer for the Navy.
« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2014, 12:10 by GoWest »

Offline Kangan

• Lurker
Word from DTP right now is if your surface, you are likely to end up as a BM.  It all depends on when you fail out (or go to mast) in the pipeline and if your subs or surface.  Your better of 'washing out' in A school as there is a larger selection of ratings you could potentially get.  If you end up getting out during power school, there are only a handful of rates that are open to you (assuming your a 3rd class). 

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
In the old days, if you dropped out, you went to Gitmo or in-country Vietnam, or some god forsaken place in the Aleutians.  Gitmo was preferred.

Some went to the Oak Knoll Psychiatric Unit, more then you would think, but that is another story.

The bottom line is if you fail to meet your contractual agreement, you ass is at the mercy of the Navy. 

If lucky, they will kick you of the service for failure to meet your commitment.
Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?