Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuclear fusion reactor at the Princeton Plasma Physics Lab honeypot

Author Topic: Nuclear fusion reactor at the Princeton Plasma Physics Lab  (Read 2452 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
This is one of the comments in the "Nuclear fusion reactor at the Princeton Plasma Physics Lab".

With just $4M instead of $94M a more promising nuclear fusion reactor concept could be operationalized for net energy gain in less than one year.

Conceptually, it has been redesigned to be the most energy-efficient fusion reactor ever. Effectively, a clean, safe, dense and environmentally friendly power source to supply the world's energy needs, with no greenhouse gases, no long-term radioactive waste, low thermal waste, no large land areas, no environmental impact, no interruptions by the weather or time of day, no nuclear meltdowns and no proliferation. It is to be the ultimate energy source, an affordable answer to the world's energy problems; the right path to a more sustainable, peaceful and prosperous future for our planet. Potentially, now fully based on phased standing waves, the CrossFire Fusion Reactor can produce directly and efficiently an enormous quantity of electricity with less cooling water than conventional thermal power stations, releasing only the non-radioactive, non-corrosive, inert, and safe helium-4 gas.

http://www.crossfirefusion.com/reactor

« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2014, 03:35 by Marlin »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
I worked at PPPL for a while.  Loved it there, even if it is in Jersey.

That particular upgrade was a waste of research money, there are better and newer designs with more potential.  We've been promised 5-10 years away from commercial fusion energy since 1946.  So pardon me if I don't get very excited.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_power#History_of_research

Will we ever achieve it? Probably.  Will it be by 2022 as Lockheed promises? No.  Is it more likely than this PPPL upgrade? Absolutely.

In 2013, The Lockheed Martin's Skunk Works announced the development of a high beta fusion reactor they expect to yield a functioning 100 megawatt prototype by 2017 and to be ready for regular operation by 2022.

[2cents]

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
I worked at PPPL for a while.  Loved it there, even if it is in Jersey.

That particular upgrade was a waste of research money, there are better and newer designs with more potential.  We've been promised 5-10 years away from commercial fusion energy since 1946.  So pardon me if I don't get very excited.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_power#History_of_research

Will we ever achieve it? Probably.  Will it be by 2022 as Lockheed promises? No.  Is it more likely than this PPPL upgrade? Absolutely.

[2cents]

I have heard large fusion research projects described as jobs programs for academia, especially the Tokamak. I had hope for the Polywell reactor but it is fighting for funds no longer having Navy or ARRA support.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?