Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Workers enter dangerous 'Atomic Man' room honeypot

Author Topic: Workers enter dangerous 'Atomic Man' room  (Read 3835 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Workers enter dangerous 'Atomic Man' room
« on: Sep 11, 2014, 01:47 »
Workers enter dangerous 'Atomic Man' room at Hanford Nuclear Reservation

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2014/09/workers_enter_dangerous_atomic.html

Offline MercTech

• Light User
  • Gotta Glow for the Dough
Re: Workers enter dangerous 'Atomic Man' room
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2014, 05:37 »
I wonder where the Oregonian unearthed that bit of misinformation.

McCluskey didn't get hurt at PFP but at 233S labs, which did the QC work on the Pu yield of the process.  PFP has had people there for a long time and it isn't just entering it.  233S labs was remediated almost a decade ago. 

The floor drain in the equipment room where McCluskey got his impingement dose of Plutonium Nitrate gave me my personal record for a smear.. Only 350,000 dpm beta gamma but 400 Rad alpha.  Yep, we had the alpha dose rate meters for that cleanup job.
Steven Jerkins
Have dose records, will travel

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2014, 04:26 »
And just think.....we went crazy when we found a 100 dpm/100cm2 alpha smear  :D
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Offline snowman

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2014, 06:09 »

McCluskey didn't get hurt at PFP but at 233S labs, which did the QC work on the Pu yield of the process.  PFP has had people there for a long time and it isn't just entering it.  233S labs was remediated almost a decade ago. 

I believe you are mistaken.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2014, 08:36 »

The floor drain in the equipment room where McCluskey got his impingement dose of Plutonium Nitrate gave me my personal record for a smear.. Only 350,000 dpm beta gamma but 400 Rad alpha.  Yep, we had the alpha dose rate meters for that cleanup job.

You sound like you know what you are talking about.

I believe you are mistaken.

ALL of the information on the internet, and everywhere else I looked says it is the 'McCluskey Room' in building 242-Z at PFP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_McCluskey
http://energy.gov/em/articles/workers-prepare-safely-enter-one-hanford-site-s-most-hazardous-rooms

Googling "McCluskey 233S labs" comes up with just garbage.

« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2014, 08:42 by Rennhack »

jason95@centurytel.net

« Reply #5 on: Sep 16, 2014, 07:58 »
It is indeed 242-Z. This is my current home. The following is a recent press release:

WORKERS BEGIN CLEANING OUT HANFORD’S HISTORIC MCCLUSKEY ROOM
Safely cleaning out room is key step toward Plutonium Finishing Plant demolition

RICHLAND, Wash. – Workers have entered one of the most hazardous rooms at the Hanford Site in Washington state to begin final cleanup of a room that became known to workers over the years by the name of a worker injured there in a Cold War-era accident.

A crew with contractor CH2M HILL Plateau Remediation Company donned specially designed suits to protect them from contamination before entering the “McCluskey Room” at the site’s Plutonium Finishing Plant earlier this week. One of the first tasks for the crew is improving ventilation and airflow to better protect workers from the airborne contamination in the room as they clean out the room and its equipment.

“This was the first of multiple entries workers will make to clean out processing equipment and get the McCluskey Room ready for demolition along with the rest of the plant,” said Bryan Foley, federal project director for the Department of Energy. “It has taken a year to prepare for this first entry. The time and effort workers put into finding the right equipment and training will ensure they are as prepared as possible to remain safe during the cleanup.”

Over the next year, workers will remove large pieces of processing equipment, including glove boxes and tanks. Glove boxes are large, sealed containers with windows and glove ports that allowed workers to manipulate equipment inside while protecting them from contamination in the containers.

The room was used to recover americium – a highly radioactive plutonium byproduct – during the Cold War. The space is commonly referred to by workers as the “McCluskey Room,” after worker Harold McCluskey was injured in 1976 when a vessel inside a glove box burst and exposed him to radioactive material. McCluskey, who was 64 at the time, lived for 11 more years and died from causes not related to the accident.

Numerous hazards remain in the room as a result of the accident, including airborne radioactivity and surface contamination. For this work, employees are using advanced supplied-air systems and protective suits never before used on the Hanford Site. The suits offer better protection from surface contamination and chemicals, improved communication, and a dual-purpose air system that provides purified air for breathing and cool air throughout the suit. The system keeps the worker cooler, allowing them to work safer and for longer periods of time.

“The employees helped choose the equipment, trained on the equipment, and gave us feedback on its performance in training,” said Mike Swartz, CH2M HILL’s vice president for the Plutonium Finishing Plant Closure Project. “Their input helped us make some adjustments along the way and has been the key to being able to enter the room safely as we start this challenging cleanup project.”

Since 2008, the Department of Energy and contractor CH2M HILL have been preparing the Plutonium Finishing Plant for demolition by removing much of the equipment and infrastructure inside the building that was once used for plutonium processing. Of the plant’s 238 glove boxes, 212 have been removed or cleaned out and readied for removal during demolition. Out of 81 buildings that made up the plant during its history, 63 have been removed.

« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2014, 08:04 by jason95 »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?