Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Newbie Navy Nuc Program Questions (DEP) honeypot

Author Topic: Newbie Navy Nuc Program Questions (DEP)  (Read 82644 times)

jeepgirl1

Newbie Navy Nuc Program Questions (DEP)
« on: Jun 06, 2004, 07:41 »
Hi y'all,
First off, I want to apologize for asking about a topic that has probably been beat to death in this forum .... but please bear with me  ;)

Okay, I'm a recent college graduate who has decided to enlist in the services.  I'm either going Army or Navy.  Basically, I'll go Army if I don't get into the Navy Nuc program.  I've talked to a recruiter on the phone and he was raving about the program and such, but I won't be able to talk to an advanced programs director until tomorrow so I'm left with some questions. 

1. What is the application process and how long does it normally take?  I took the ASVAB last summer (99) and the recruiter guy said that I probably wouldn't have to take the secondary test. 

2. Speaking of the secondary test, what exactly is the test subject matter?  Is there a book or website I could look at to "refreshify" my memory?

3.  I know that I'll qualify for a bonus for being a college graduate as well as one for the nuc program ... but I'm also in need of the LRP.  Will I have to pick one of the three or will I be able to get them all?

4. I've read online about the CASH program ... is it competitive or is it given to you as long as you meet the qualifications?  What are the qualifications?

5. As far as women nucs, are there a lot in the service?

6. I read online that there was a shortage of housing for the single soldiers, leading to many being forced to live on the ship when it is in dock ... is this true?

Yes, I know that a lot of you are probably scratching your head as to why I would choose to go enlisted as opposed to officer.  To be quite honest, I don't think my GPA is high enough plus I could really use the assistance in paying off student loans.  Yes I know the Nuc program is hard, but I will give it my all ... and then some ... should I get in.

Again, my apologies for the topic redundancy ...

Later days :)
Nichole

« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2004, 07:43 by jeepgirl1 »

capper

Re: Newbie Navy Nuc Program Questions (DEP)
« Reply #1 on: Jun 06, 2004, 11:14 »
1. What is the application process and how long does it normally take?  I took the ASVAB last summer (99) and the recruiter guy said that I probably wouldn't have to take the secondary test.

Unless things have changed, you will have to take the "secondary test".  We had a name for it but I can't remember what it was.

2. Speaking of the secondary test, what exactly is the test subject matter?  Is there a book or website I could look at to "refreshify" my memory?

As I remember, the test is mostly physics and math.  There is no calc or calc based physics questions.  If you had a good physics class in HS you will probably pass.

6. I read online that there was a shortage of housing for the single soldiers, leading to many being forced to live on the ship when it is in dock ... is this true?

For surface boats, all people below E-5 must live onboard the ship.  Well, they can live off the ship but the Navy will not give them a housing allowance.  All, submariners get barracks (but you don't care about that).

As for the rest of you questions, I really can't say.  The bonus program has changed since I left.  Also, women were just starting the enter the program as I left power school.  Having been a submariner, I never worked with Navy nuclear women.

Good luck.  If you are going to go into the military, it is my belief that the nuclear power program is the best choice--for the right people.

Offline metalman40

• RCT
  • Moderate User
  • Life sucks then you die.
« Reply #2 on: Jun 07, 2004, 07:10 »
It was called the Nuclear Field Qualifing Test or NFQT way back when. It was basic algebra a little trig and geometry and physics. Mine had more questions on simple hydrolics than anything else I can remember. I'm sure that was because I had never studied that and had to nuke out the answers, so it stood out in my mind.
Sometimes you just want to say dilligaf and go dfr.

Transuranic Trip

« Reply #3 on: Jun 07, 2004, 07:15 »
Hello-

When I was in (89 - 95) there was no housing allowance for anyone under E-7. Basically anyone who was a single nuke non-chief lived on the ship OR if they lived off the ship it was without a housing allowance.

I'd be curious to hear if they now have housing allowance for the surface Navy... would have been nice

FYI I think the name of the test was the NFQT, Nuclear Field Qualification Test. It was basic physics, algebra, and perhaps a little trig. It would be worth a brush-up if you want to go for it... The trig just needs to be the basic SIN COS TAN, may be used for a few vector problems.

Let us know how it goes!!

-Transuranic Trip
NNPS 9101 USS Carl Vinson 92-95

IPREGEN

« Reply #4 on: Jun 07, 2004, 11:52 »
Nichole,
 Good luck to you! Don't assume you're not qualified for the officer ranks if you don't apply, but if you do go enlisted nuke all you need is an honest effort. I was in a long time ago (class 7408) and the thing I rember is that the people that really wanted to pass, did. For Nuke Power School and prototype if you need help there are people to help you. Most of the folks that did not make it basically rolled over and gave up. Overall the program gave me some pretty good experiences and that includes the variety of people that you will meet. You will learn a lot about life, just keep your eye on your goal and remember to give an honest effort.

jeepgirl1

« Reply #5 on: Jun 07, 2004, 09:13 »
Well, I talked to the recruiter.  My question about CLRP + bonuses was pretty much left unanswered, as the recruiter was pretty ambiguous.  I get the feeling that I won't honestly know until I head to MEPS and talk to a counselor  ::)

The advanced position recruiter is evaluating my line scores on the ASVAB to determine if I have to take the Nuke test.  The normal recruiter said he recently put a college grad in with similar line scores and he didn't have to take the Nuke test. 

I'm not eligible for CASH, but it isn't around anymore.

The thing that worries me is the background check.  I haven't spoken to my mother in about 6 years and really have no clue as to where she is ... my 'rents had an incredibly messy divorce and I was pretty much forced to take sides ...  I have no clue as to what she'll say, as her opinion of me at the time wasn't exactly the most heart-warming of things.  Also, my father has passed away, so its pretty much her word on it all  :(

My references are good, but I'm not sure they'll be worth anything after she's done with her interview     :( ... Fingers crossed on that one. 

So now, I'm torn  :-\.  I have no clue whether to pursue the Nuc option with the Navy or with the Army and the Radiology tech position ... any words of wisdom, y'all?
« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2004, 09:16 by jeepgirl1 »

Adidas2806

« Reply #6 on: Jun 09, 2004, 03:30 »
I am right there with ya, just one step ahead i suppose. ive already gone to MEPS and hadnt even thoguht about the nuclear program. took the ASVAB and got a 99(i was told its pretty rare but ive talked to many that have gotten it), and with that score you do not have to take the NFQT. MEPS told me with a n asvab score that high they dont require it, so you wont have to take it either. ANyway, if tyhis is still something you are actively considering and want in early, go NOW. I went in February to MEPS and the next opening to the navy nuclear program was november. I just got off the phione with my recruiter 10 min ago, and since kids are being disqualified due to failing high school or math courses, seats are opening up. i just got my ship date moved from november up to august(which will make boot camp much more pleasant with no blizzards to deal with). So i would highly recommend going to MEPS asap.
   and dont worry, with an asvab score that high MEPS is going to beg you to join the navy nuc program. as long as your in sound physiocal condition, youll do great! best of luck, see you in charleston at power school!!!
sean

jeepgirl1

« Reply #7 on: Jun 09, 2004, 04:23 »
Hey Sean,
Glad to hear from someone in a similar situation.  I think that when you look in relation to all who take the test in a given year, a 99 is indeed a rarity.  Think about it, its given at just about every high school in the country at least once a year.  We're not even talking about all who are post-high school who wander into the recruiters office and take it.   When I took it last summer, I was in the room with like 50 other peeps.  I was one of the last to finish up (yeah, I know, the test was easy ... I'm just a little anal when it comes to making sure everything is filled in  :P), the attendant looked at me and said I'd gotten the only 99 of the day ... probably a little bit of a breach of ethics on her part, but it certainly was great for my ego  ;D

Anyhoot, what sold the Nuc program to you.  I imagine since you made the decision at MEPS it was pretty split second ... but still, what was it?  Money, training, combo of the two? 

Also, would you mind talking to your recruiter for me and asking a few questions?  You seem to have a great working relationship with him(or her) ...  My recruiter is being kindy wishy-washy in regards to the answers:

Let's say I get in, and my mom totally trashes me when the Navy interviews her (sorry to get so personal), will they be able to kick me out of the program, or will I be put on indefinite security hold?

Will I be able to get both CLRP + bonuses or do I have to choose b/w the two?

In regards to women on the ship, are we as tightly packed in as the guys in regards to living arrangements?

I'm supposed to go to MEPS with the ARMY next Tuesday ... I'm still so friggin' confused  :-[

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #8 on: Jun 09, 2004, 06:00 »

Let's say I get in, and my mom totally trashes me when the Navy interviews her (sorry to get so personal), will they be able to kick me out of the program, or will I be put on indefinite security hold?

... I'm still so friggin' confused  :-[

Jeepgirl,
If I'm reading it right your recruiter isn't giving you a definite answer to your questions about what your Mom could do to your career.  Let the recruiter know that they don't have you yet and that a lot could hinge on what the answer is.  I'd also ask if you can talk to someone who does the background checks to get some answers.  You have a valid concern and deserve an answer.  You've come to the right place to get answers.  There are plenty of capable and knowledgeable people here.  Don't be shy about using them.

Good Luck.

"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Adidas2806

« Reply #9 on: Jun 09, 2004, 10:57 »
what sold the nuke program to me?it was probably naieve of me sonce i had done no research on the program before i chose it, but i didnt know anything about any job really. i had complete plans on taking the asvab and just seeing what they offered me, which job stood out the most. probably the sheer fact that i did so well and qualified for a program i had no intention of qualifying for sold it to me. the guaranteed 2 yrs of school, enlistment bonus(10,000 for me) and pay hike to E-3 was a definite bonus. so yeah, i suppose you could call it a split second decision  to go with this, it was a gamble but im pretty glad i made it!
     are you 18? if so, the only reason navy would have any reason to contact your mother is for security clearance. theres not much she can do(im notpositive, but pretty sure) to stop it even if she trashes your name, probably the only thing she could say is that you tortured small animals as a child and talked on a regular basis to people in Iraq, then they would investigate. but this is all pretty redundant, no one i listed on those lists were even contacted, and talking to my recruiter i already have the security clearnce, so hopefully
it all wont even matter!!!
       women on carriers as far as i know are just as cramped as the men, though i cannot say for certain on that either. since women cant go on subs, carriers would be the only other choice(cept for the smaller destroyers and such), so there are probably quite a number of female on carriers. it wouldnt be economical or smart for the navy to give ya ladies more room.
     man, you need to decide though, once you go to meps and sign the army contract, itll be mighty hard(if not impossible) to change. you said navy nuke was the first choice, right? go with it, call your recruiter and tell him you want to go to meps asap, or call the army and delay a week or two untill you can go with navy. your recruiter still would like your quota as an enlistment, so be hard and hell jump to get you in there soon!
   hope this helps, i started a  post a while ago, farther down on the page before this, "how to prepare for navy nps", read through that(3 pages long, like 60 replies) and hopefully that will answer some other questions you might add!
   sean

IPREGEN

« Reply #10 on: Jun 10, 2004, 07:05 »
"I just got off the phione with my recruiter 10 min ago, and since kids are being disqualified due to failing high school or math courses, seats are opening up. i just got my ship date moved from november up to august."

Please keep in mind the recruiters job is to put people into the Navy. Getting you in sooner reflects better on him. The Navy does not really care if you fail a high school course since they will teach you what they feel you need. That's why they can take people with or without calc, they will teach it to you.
As far as space aboard ship, your rack will be 26" wide by 72". Oh, but what if you are taller than 72", that's why God gave you knees that bend sailor.

Telling people that are joining the military is like telling someone about their fiance. They won't listen to anything that's said because they feel it will different for them.  It won't, take this message and paste it on the bottom of the rack that will be above you.
Have fun.

Adidas2806

« Reply #11 on: Jun 10, 2004, 10:51 »
hmmmm, that really is something to think about. i have tried to keep that in mind that my recruiter needs me for his quota and thats it--i just took him at his word about moving up the ship date.
They won't listen to anything that's said because they feel it will different for them.

i honestly dont think it will be diffrent for me or any other nuke prospect looking for info here. i value each and every one of the opinions here and this site has been of great help. thanks to everyone for your input! it has helped make this transition a little less scary knowing what to expect.
sean

IPREGEN

« Reply #12 on: Jun 10, 2004, 12:12 »
The thing to remember is that you and the recruiter have goals. The Navy Nuke program is pretty good training and it should help you get a good job if you decide not to stay in. I had a lot of fun in Nuke School (NPS) and a great time in prototype which extended to ELT school. Then I did a lot of time in Bremerton, Washington then San Diego. It was all a good ride. But it comes with studying, field day ( Clean up, you're mother doesn't work here) and some boring time thrown in.
It really is what you make it and it is a whole lot better than being in the Army or National Guard.

jeepgirl1

« Reply #13 on: Jun 10, 2004, 07:49 »
Well, I started the paperwork today.  I've gotta get two waivers (STUPID, STUPID mistakes when I was young  :-[)  Anyhoot, I've got my fingers crossed on those.  Hopefully headed down to MEPS next week if all goes well.  Cross your fingers for me.

Oh yeah, I FINALLY got the the CLRP + bonuses question answered:  I will be able to get both!  Yay!

Offline nukeET1

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #14 on: Jun 10, 2004, 09:03 »
Hopefully you get this reply before you have taken your oath!

Here are some options that you might want to consider before enlisting in the military.  Since you already have your degree why not apply for an officer program?  They get paid ALOT more... always live off the ships... and their job is more paperwork related and some leadership (depending on the path you go). 
 You go to OCS (officer candidate school)  commonly known as spoon and fork school.  Once you go there you get to run and exercise and pretty much learn everything about the military in 12 weeks.  Sort of like boot camp for officers.  Once you graduate you are commissioned an ensign.  You get paid O-1 pay which is about 2.5 times higher then what you would get as E-3 pay. 
Downfalls.... well you wont get into the Navy Nuke program as an officer.  The degree requirements are you need a technical degree with 1 year of Calculus based Physics and 1 year of Calculus (CALC 1 and 2)  along with great SAT scores or ACT scores.
Good things ....   Officer pay, officer respect (when gained)  you live off base all the time,  you advance to O-3 (LT) within 4 years.   
If you have your degree there is absolutly no reason you should ever go enlisted unless you are dying to go through the nuke program to become one of us :)
I am a current nuke instructer at NFAS (nuclear field A school) here in Charleston SC.   It is a GREAT program and I am not just saying that.
Key things to remember when you get down here if that is the path you choose.

1.  The nuclear program is NOT like college at all.  It requires ALOT of effort, alot of time, and more importantly alot of self motivation to do well.
2.  Dont believe everything your recruiter says, like a few other people have said down below they are trying to meet a quota.
3.  If they try to tell you you dont qualify for an officer program with a degree... go find yourself another recruiter because those are the type of people you dont want to listen to.  They just dont want to do the paperwork involved to get you into an officer program plus you have to go to an entirely different recruiter, hence he doesn't make his quota.
4. The Navy really isn't all that hard.  If you can listen, do what you are told, and work without complaining you will excel.  If you show you want to do well, you will be helped by many many people.

Is the nuke program worth it?

Absolutely 100% yes.  I know that when I get out at the end of the year I am pretty much guaranteed a job 65K (to start) and 100K+ a year within few years... I finished my degree, qualified all the watches I could, and listened to others advice (expecially my chiefs)  If you have your degree look into the officer programs.  Dont listen to the recruiter thinking once you go to MEPS you are in the Navy... The only time you are officially in the Navy is when you take the oath to support and defend this great nation!

Anyhow I commend you on your great decision to enlist/become an officer in the military.  You WILL work with the best people in the world and join a brotherhood/sisterhood(politically correct)  that you will never forget!

"Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, 'I served in the United States Navy,'" wrote President John F. Kennedy in August 1963

GARYGWOODJR

« Reply #15 on: Jun 10, 2004, 11:41 »
jeepgirl1,

If you have any questions that you cant get answered or just want some info send me a private message and I will see what I can do to get some answers.  One of my friends just got off recruiting duty and I still know some people who can get answers.  Read through the other threads, there is alot of good advice.  Best of luck with everything. 

Phios

« Reply #16 on: Jun 11, 2004, 06:50 »
Hey, my first post. 

I was a nuclear field recruiter last year, I just transfered back to a boat (Asheville).  If you already have your degree you NEED to talk to an officer recruiter.  I you meet the minimum qualifications, you can be garanteed nuclear officer.  I highly recommend to go officer over enlisted everyday of the week.  If your recruiter hasn't had you talk to an officer recruiter yet, then he is being shady and trying not to lose you to the officer side of recruiting.  I know the tactic, and I've seen it done myself. 

Now, to your questions.

1 day application process.  You almost certainly don't have to take the NFQT because you probably scored very high on your line scores.

60% Math (Algrebra, Geometry, a few questions in Trig)
30% Physics (Motion, Kenetics)
10% Chemistry (Atomic Models)

3.  I know that I'll qualify for a bonus for being a college graduate as well as one for the nuc program ... but I'm also in need of the LRP.  Will I have to pick one of the three or will I be able to get them all?

10,000 (max) loan repayment program OR signon bonus.

I'm almost certain that you CANNOT receive the NUKE signon bonus AND the LRP.  You will still receive 8k for your degree.  You can receive 12k for your nuke bonus if you leave at the right time.

Good luck with this process, and feel free to email me if you have any specific questions about the recruiting process.

Phios

jeepgirl1

« Reply #17 on: Jun 12, 2004, 12:03 »
Phios,
Thanks for the input. 

I know you say the LRP is capped at $10K, but both the website (navy.com) and several recruiters and non-recruiters say it goes up to $65K ...  this is the first mention I've heard of $10K.

My recruiter has tried to steer me to talk to an officer recruiter,  but I don't want to.  My college grades aren't there and I'd much rather concentrate on the tech aspect at this point then the leadership.  I'm not writing off officer totally, I just don't want it at this time.

I have been assured by the advanced tech services recruiter that I will be able to get both the LRP + bonuses.  On a side note, it kinda doesn't make sense that they would give you the option of the GI Bill + bonuses, but not the LRP + bonuses.  I know the Air Force and the Army both do give you the choice of bonuses + GI Bill or LRP ... but what do I know, I'm not even in the Navy yet ;)

I have every intention of again questioning all of this tomorrow when I see my recruiter ... but is it possible that things have changed since you were last a recruiter?

« Last Edit: Jun 12, 2004, 12:09 by jeepgirl1 »

jeepgirl1

« Reply #18 on: Jun 12, 2004, 12:41 »
Wingsfan,
You've got PM ... need to get to the bottom of some of the points that Phios brings up ...

Thanks much :)

Phios

« Reply #19 on: Jun 12, 2004, 01:12 »
Ok, I was a recruiter about 8 months ago, so I doubt much has changed since I stopped...  The MGIB is a completely separate issue.  Every single military member is offered MGIB regardless of rate, college degree, or bonuses offered at enlistment.  What not everyone is offered is the Navy College Fund.  Nukes are offered:  A.  The Nuclear Bonus (varies from 12k to 8k), B. The Navy College Fund (this bonus adds onto the MGIB for a total of 50k, but that value may have gone up slightly), or C. A combonation of the 2.  If you have a BS or BA you will receive 8k.  I've only done 1 loan repayment package ever, and the stipulations behind getting it aren't spelled out too well in the recruiting documentation.  Regular recruiters almost never deal with the LRP, so they won't know the answers, and most of the guys at MEPS won't know the answers either.  From what I remember, the person was offered 10k to pay off student loans, but he would receive that money in leui of any Navy College Fund or Rating Bonus.  The 10k would be paid to the financial institution upon acceptance and that was that.  To qualify for it, the person must bring prove of a government qualified student loan and show prove that they are not behind of any of the scheduled payments (loan documents, recent payment stubs are what you need).

About your college grades.  I understand where you are coming from there.  To be honest, not everyone is cutout to be an officer.  What I can recommend is not to shut any doors yet.  You should hear them out.  I remember that one time I tried to put a guy with a Physicians Assistance MS into the nuke program and was told that they weren't going to allow it until he talked to a nuke officer recruiter to see if he could screen to be a nuclear field instructer in "A" school or Power  School.  In the end the guy didn't get past the phone interview, but nonetheless the nuclear community wanted to makes sure that every option was exhausted before turning him over to the enlisted ranks.

If you want, I can call my friends that are still in the field and get the low down on LRP to see if it's changed any since I last sold that program.

Phios

jeepgirl1

« Reply #20 on: Jun 12, 2004, 05:40 »
Phios,

http://www.military.com/Resources/ResourcesContent/0,13964,44245--,00.html

http://www.navy.com/jsp/explore/education/summary.jsp?cid=4&pid=5

What gives?  Why is the Navy saying one thing then contradicting itself when it comes to actual enlistment at MEPS?

Later
« Last Edit: Jun 12, 2004, 05:59 by jeepgirl1 »

Burzum

« Reply #21 on: Jun 13, 2004, 12:00 »
 Jeepgirl,
As a submariner nuke, I think I can comment on the issues your mother might cause you.  I have known many people with very questionable histories that have been accepted.  One of the best reactor operators I ever knew was arrested one year prior to his enlistment for making pipe bombs.  The key thing to getting in is complete honesty and straightforwardness.  Your mother can say whatever she wants but unless she can back it up with facts or it is colloborated with other references it probably isn't going to hurt you.  And since you are only initially going for a 'confidential' clearance they might not even care to talk to her.

About your question on sea-life:  please bear in mind that a navy nuke is a sea-going position.  For a 6 year enlistment you may spend over 2 years at sea (not just at a sea command--AT sea).  Just be prepared for a 60 hour stressful work week in uncomfortable conditions (yes your rack and personal spaces are going to be small--but this is just the tip of the iceberg) for 6 years.  I honestly believe the Navy nuclear program is worthwhile only if you take one of two paths:  use the nuke program as a stepping stone to become an officer, or use it as a stepping stone to a civilian job.  The nuke program does both exceptionally well, but note that if you can't stand sea life you should go for the later (i.e. don't make a decision until you've been to sea).

Good luck on your nuclear career.  For most people it forever changes their definition of hard work and common sense (trades one for the other).  While it is a very stressful and uncomfortable lifestyle, you will work with some of the most interesting technology in the world and meet many of the smartest and hard working people in the world.

jeepgirl1

« Reply #22 on: Jun 13, 2004, 12:05 »
Just wanted to say thanks to all who have replied.  I greatly appreciate your input and guidance :) 

jeepgirl1

« Reply #23 on: Jun 13, 2004, 02:33 »
Okay, after some triple checking and much hand-wringing, it appears that I will get both the bonuses and the LRP which is capped at $65K not $10K. 

It was explained to me that the LRP used to be capped at $10K, but due to competition b/w the branches, it was raised to match the other branches. 

Score for me ... :)

AaronA

« Reply #24 on: Jun 13, 2004, 06:43 »
Whatever you do, become an officer.  You will get paid better and have a better life aboard the ship.  You will live generally in a two to three person stateroom while aboard and have a housing allowance to keep an apartment on land.  As enlisted you will live in a bearthing shared with around 100 females.  If it's on a carrier you will be sharing living spaces if you are enlisted with some incredibly immature and discusting girls.  I was an enlisted nuke ET/Reactor Operator on the USS Enterprise 1999 - 2003.  If you do become enlisted one thing the others didn't mention about the NFQT is that it also has some chemisty questions so make sure you have it straight in your mind how to tell how many protons, electrons, neutrons a given element has.  As basic as it is, that one threw me for a loop as I had forgotten.  Rest assured that if you are enlisted on a carrier you will be treated just as any other enlisted person is treated.  The fact that you are a nuke will not mean a thing.  You will spend a signifigant amount of time cleaning.  As an officer you will never clean toilets, pick up a broom or a mop.  Finally, the fact that you are a female, whether you like it or not will entitle you to an easier time in getting into the program as an officer. 
Best wishes,
Aaron

RCLCPO

« Reply #25 on: Jun 16, 2004, 05:53 »
If you're in doubt about anything, ask.

Not only have I been a Navy Nuke for almost 20 years, I am currently a NukeField Recruiter.  Also, check out our website:

www.cnrc.navy.mil/nucfield

Be informed!

tjm807

« Reply #26 on: Jul 13, 2004, 04:26 »

For surface boats, all people below E-5 must live onboard the ship.  Well, they can live off the ship but the Navy will not give them a housing allowance.  All, submariners get barracks (but you don't care about that).

I am an active duty carrier nuke MM/ELT. I dont know how long ago it has changed but E-5 and above can live off the ship AND get housing allowance. I know this is how it is on the Stennis CVN-74. I am quite sure it is not just a ship by ship thing.

As far as the CASH program I have found a good link via www.military.com that led me to a link on how to apply to the CASH program.

One bit of advice.... Dont believe ANYTHING your recruiter says. Im sorry if I offended any previous recruiters in here but it is the best way to protect yourself. Have anything they tell you you will get be put in WRITING ON YOUR CONTRACT. At boot camp the way to make your RDC (recruit division commander) laugh is to tell them that you were supposed to get this or that because that is what your recuiter told you. They will say "you believed your recruiter?!?!" and proceed to laugh in your face.

I enjoy what I do and the navy has helped me proceed in life. But soon it is time to move on.

Good luck and study hard in school and dont data dump between power school and prototype!

tjm807

« Reply #27 on: Jul 13, 2004, 04:48 »

RCLCPO

« Reply #28 on: Jul 13, 2004, 06:44 »
Yes, the CASH program is alive and well.  Have your recruiter show you chapter 3U of the recruiting manual.  If he is unwilling, go to your recruiting district's Advanced Programs Coordinator.  If that fails, let me know, and I'll fax you a copy.

A couple of things to keep in mind: those with a college degree need not apply, and those whose high school gpa is less than about a 3.2 will not be accepted.  Some information is available under the enlisted scholarships button at the Navy Nuclear Power website:  www.cnrc.navy.mil/nucfield

The typical Navy recruiter is not nuclear trained, and therefore does not know the correct answers to every question.  This is why the Navy has a Nuke in most of the Advanced Programs Coordinator posts.  We are here to answer your questions.

For those previous Nuclear Field recruiters out there, the new change 22 to the CRUITMAN changes a lot of stuff.  General advice is good, but be careful about specifics, as things are indeed changing.

If you send me a question, I will answer it.  You may not like the answer, but it will be the truth per the regulations at the time of your question.

Nuke1_port@cnrc.navy.mil

Formernuke

« Reply #29 on: Jul 13, 2004, 06:53 »
I am a formernuke which i think makes me qualify to answer your questions.  If you have a college degree, forget about enlisting unless you like to strip and wax floors, paint, and sweep and mop.  You see the navy does not have janitors so they fall to the enlisted.  The only option that i give advice on is to enter as an officer.  I was stationed on a Carrier which if you are female will also be stationed on.  I beleive that Reactor department was the lowest on morale of the whole ship with good reason.... the job sucks.  So in short use your investment that you made in education and try for an officer commision, they don't have to clean, eat better food and get paid better.  Its a whole different life between enlisted and officer.  The only way to go is officer!.

RCLCPO

« Reply #30 on: Jul 13, 2004, 11:09 »
There are disgruntled employees in every profession.

One thing about multiple sources of information:  consider the source.

If you'd like to know, contact me via e-mail and I'll send you my fax number, so you can send me your transcripts (high school and college) and I'll let you know if you're even eligible for an officer program (just getting a degree doesn't make you eligible).  There are differences between the enlisted and officer communities, and, if you're eligible for both, you should know the details before making a decision.  I have had people with an MS degree prefer the enlisted side of the equation.

Get the details from a fair and balanced source--not from a recruiter and not from someone who hated their Navy experience.  I have no problem sharing the good along with the bad and the ugly, when it comes to providing information.  There are positives and negatives with every job, Navy included.

damad1

« Reply #31 on: Jul 13, 2004, 11:39 »
You can say "consider the source" but let me open up the door a bit more. I was a Nuke MM, and I was pretty successful, was staff at prototype, made E-6 in 5 years, was a M-div LPO, and went my 8 years without committing a FUBAR!

I would totally agree with FormerNuke, Reactor Dept had the lowest morale on the ships I served on PERIOD!  I was fortunate enough to do my final 2 years on a CGN before we decomed her, and life and morale was a bit better, but carriers are the model of "Crap Holes"! It usually affected the snipes (Nukes in engineering) because we had to shift our schedules around the air crew, and pick up extra duties because someone had their own agenda to push, so they volunteered us as there sacrificail annodes.

My opinion, and this is an opinion, but tthe Navy has been lowering their standards for years now, are asking too much of the good workers, and allowing the poor workers to maintain their mediocraty (I think I spelled it correctly?), while forcing good nukes to pick up the slack. The end result, the good guys get out while the poor ones stay in because they feel "Protected" by the system.

The leadership has followed suit also, becoming less technical and more political. End result, true leaders can't advance because they aren't politicians, while the sluggos make advancement (particularly true in the E-7 through E-9 ranks, and officer positions). the best CPO I ever worked for was a 20 year E-7, and couldn't go higher because he didn't have a problem telling someone in the upper chain they were wrong.

On the flip side, I made some great friends, got some good bar room stories that I can add lies to for the next 40 years to make them even better, and I got some good training.

The best source of info is the guy who is an E-4 or E-5, right from the deck plate. Higher ranks tend to forget some of the BS that the ordinary rag hat has to deal with.

RCLCPO

« Reply #32 on: Jul 14, 2004, 01:46 »
One of my limitations is that I have never set foot on a carrier.  That is why I cannot comment about condions on board.

I will say that I spent 10 years as an E6 before I made Chief, mostly due to the fact that I'd rather keep my self respect than cave in to the idiot I worked for.

There's "dead wood" in every profession, and at least in the sub fleet, the Navy philosophy of "perform to serve" was given attention.  I have seen slackers re-enlist for E5 and $45K bonus, because they knew they'd never be able to hold a job on the outside and the command needed the "retention" credit.  I have also seen, on a different boat, not only an enlisted man but also a LTjg get denied permission to stay in the Navy because of their work ethic.  It all depends on the chain of command.  A lot depends on the Chief in charge of the division, too.  I've worked for some great Chiefs, some OK Chiefs, and some who were morons or a-holes (or both).  I've been places (the USS Topeka) where morale was in the basement and work wasn't much fun.  I've also been places (the USS Chicago) where morale was very high and life was great.

The Navy is just a microcosm of all the other high-tech places to work.  In my 20 years, I've seen more good times than bad, but the bad times seem to stick in one's memory more than the good times.  The key to balanced hindsite is being fair, and remembering the good times too.

I'm trying to make contact with someone I know out in the carrier fleet.  I'm hoping to provide someone from the deckplates to balance this discussion, as I have no personal carrier experience.

Beta_effect

« Reply #33 on: Jul 15, 2004, 04:03 »
It is not up to you to determine whether or not you are qualified for an Officer's program. I would strongly suggest that you apply and not sell yourself short. Also do not necessarily limit yourself to just the nuke field. There are plenty of opportunities out there in the military and it would be unwise to limit yourself based upon how you perceive yourself. You are always better than you think...don't dwell on any weakness-concentrate on your strengths...

Fermi2

« Reply #34 on: Jul 17, 2004, 12:56 »
I went into the Navy while in my mid 20s. As a civilian in my early 20s I did some incredibly stupid things. I needed 3 waivers to get into the nuke program, every school I went to told me I was on the bubble because of my waivers, yet when I finally got through NPS and Prototype it was never mentioned again. Heck I even got into Special Projects with Security Clearances that have classified names!

Just remember, it's totally up to you, keep your nose clean and the waivers won't matter!.

If you need any advice please email me at ferm2@msn.com

Be safe

Mike

RCLCPO

« Reply #35 on: Jul 19, 2004, 12:02 »
For carrier life questions, go to the source:

Nuclear Senior Chief Machinists Mate Rick Niemeyer, on the carrier Vinson:

RNIEMEYE@VINSON.NAVY.MIL

You may not like his answers to your questions, but they'll be the real deal.

jeepgirl1

« Reply #36 on: Jul 20, 2004, 12:30 »
It is not up to you to determine whether or not you are qualified for an Officer's program. I would strongly suggest that you apply and not sell yourself short. Also do not necessarily limit yourself to just the nuke field. There are plenty of opportunities out there in the military and it would be unwise to limit yourself based upon how you perceive yourself. You are always better than you think...don't dwell on any weakness-concentrate on your strengths...

You're right, but if the officer recruiter doesn't think your stats are competitive (I've been told anything less than a 3.6 GPA is not gonna cut it right now), you won't be able to even attempt to apply. 

Beta_effect

« Reply #37 on: Jul 21, 2004, 06:12 »
The recommendation to go through the process for an officer's program still stands. Let them tell you officially that you do not meet the requirements. Look at all of the services if you have the time. If you are in a bind for money this minute, my suggestion to you is get on with one of the RAT companies as a Junior HP or Deconner until you can figure things out. Taking a little time off may not be a bad idea. I think I might get a opinion from another recruiter-there is at least one that posts to this board. Someone suggested that you contact a Senior Chief-I think that is a good idea-get the straight scoop directly from the fleet.

I can tell you that if your GPA was low due to you not putting in the effort in College you may be in trouble as an enlisted in the nuke program. It takes a lot of hard work and self motivation. Having a degree will not necessarily make it any easier. There are some distinct negatives if you wash out of the program. I hope it works out for you!
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2004, 06:15 by Beta_effect »

Formernuke

« Reply #38 on: Jul 21, 2004, 07:10 »
     I concur,  My experience in the nuke program may not relate to you but here goes.  Motivation and self-determination are the key.  My asvab score was one of the lowest of my class (75).  I am Hispanic and being the only minority gave me some added motivation.  I have the distinct impression that all my supervisors thought I would perform poorly at nuke school.  I slept only 5 hours a day studying and going to classes but it paid off.  Meanwhile other students with high asvabs (99) were falling by the wayside and in some cases were quitely let off.  I graduated in the top 30 percentile and was highly motivated when I left Nuke school. I  Really wanted to go to some officer programs until I got stationed on a Carrier but thats another story.

If you have a degree, don't let the recruiters dazzle you with the nuke school prestige.  The Air force and Army should have some other officer programs If the NAVY won't appreciate you.

jeepgirl1

« Reply #39 on: Jul 22, 2004, 08:35 »
Beta and Former,
I appreciate the advice, but maybe I should have been a little clearer.  I don't want to be an officer at this time.  If I was looking to make the Navy my career, then yes I would pursue this avenue.   For my present needs and future goals, enlisting is the best option.  I'm looking to get three things out of the Navy:  serve my country, pay off school loans, and put away some serious dough for grad school or pharmacy school.  Plus going Nuke has the added benefit of having the track record of putting so many former Nukes into med school/pharmacy school/nursing school.

I look forward to the challenge that Navy Nuke will provide.  I am quite aware that it will not be easy ... I have done my research by talking to former and current Nukes.  I'm ready for something new and different :)
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2004, 08:38 by jeepgirl1 »

boyofcows2

« Reply #40 on: Jul 23, 2004, 01:31 »
jeepgirl1,

As far as life aboard ship goes...forget about what everyone tells you...it doesn't matter.  Everything in life is what you make of it, and the Nuke Navy is no different.  The advice that I will give is as follows:
Do the Nuke thing---there will be times that you will absolutely hate it, you will question what you were thinking, etc.  In the end, it will pay large dividends.
Keep your nose to the grind stone.  The program is not difficult if you stay out of trouble.  If you don't think that trouble will present itself (especially for a young lady outnumbered by young men), you are fooling yourself.
Having said that, enjoy your time as much as possible!  I'm sure that I speak for all of us that are serving and all of us that have served, thank you for carrying on the tradition of doing your part to defend our great nation!

l2aider1

« Reply #41 on: Jul 31, 2004, 10:59 »
Hey all,
        I posted on this site a few months ago about a month before I was scheduled to go to boot camp.  I also scored a 99 on the asvab and didn't have to take any secondary tests.  I just got out of boot camp and arrived at NNPTC 3 days ago!!!  The campus is awesome everything is new and the people are friendly.   The atmosphere is much more laid back compared to boot camp.  It feels like I'm on vacation.  Good luck at boot camp Adidas I remember talking to you in may about the nuke program.  I got ET after all but let me tell you everyone at nuke school loves to bash ETs =(.  Lucky for me I left in may and was able to get the 12$ sign on bonus.  I will keep you informed on how 'A' school is.
                                                                                 - SN Mike Greene

Korn_doll

« Reply #42 on: Oct 04, 2004, 03:46 »
Can anyone tell me what sorts of things are on the Nuke test? I'm taking it tomorrow and would like to know. I've got basic physics down and a little bit on electricity and whatnot. Thanks.

RCLCPO

« Reply #43 on: Oct 04, 2004, 05:03 »
The Navy's Advanced Programs Test (NAPT), what is known as the "Nuke Test", is an 80 question exam.  The time limit is 2 hours, and it's 50 math questions, 15 basic chemistry and 15 basic physics questions.  The only authorized study guide for the exam is the Navy correspondence course Mathematics Volume 1.

RCLCPO

« Reply #44 on: Mar 18, 2005, 05:38 »
Regarding the CASH program:

On 01 January of this year, the CASH program was put on hold.  It's not officially dead, just in a coma.  Those folks already in the program are still in the program, and their contracts are still valid.  No one else, though, will be able to apply to the program until it is revived or replaced.

jeepgirl1

« Reply #45 on: Mar 21, 2005, 09:26 »
RCLCPO,

That's a shame :(.  Is there an "unofficial" reason for why the program was suspended?  Are the odds fairly great that it will be reinstated in its present state or some reincarnation?

MMCIcebergDX

« Reply #46 on: Mar 29, 2005, 05:20 »
I dont know about any official reason, but I know that the program cost us 3 nuke wanna be's because they failed College Calculus courses, and then were ruled to be ineligible for the Nuclear field by CNRC.  I dont know if that was a problem just in our area, or if that happened in other areas too.  As a matter of fact, the 2 kids I have in cash were the last 2 that they accepted applications from, and the last 2 approved.

js.park

« Reply #47 on: Sep 11, 2005, 08:58 »
Hello, Everyone: 

First of all I just want to thank everyone ahead of time before any post or made or anything is said. I have been scanning these forums for about 3 weeks now and I have pulled alot of valuable information out of it. My name is Joseph(Joe) Park.  I in the same position as alot of people, I screwed around in schooled didn't do so hot, but academically sound to begin with. 1500's SATS, have a AA in Recording Arts Engineering, and such. I nailed the ASVAB and was recommended into nuke. 

Now I guess on to my questions.   

1) I am deeply rooted in my family. At least my mother, she has worked 24/365/7 for the past 10 years so that I could have a good opportunity in life. My father is a deadbeat and I want to make sure that I would be able to keep in good contact with her. How difficult is that in reality? Better on a sub or a carrier? How much time do you spend out in sea. The contract is 6 years, 2 in school and 4 serving. How much of that 4 is in sea. What is shore duty really like and where are shore duty stations? 

2.) I am only 21 years of age but I have been with someone very special to me now for 4 years. I don't know if she is the right woman for me but I am unsure how a joining the navy would affect that relationship. Would I be able to see her? If so how often.  How is communication with everyone on a submarine or a boat. Again I guess this is similar to question 1. 

3.) I am a US citizen but my family is from South Korea. Neither of them are citizens. I have heard many things about the armed services and minorities and how in the end treatment is different. I am not saying the military is racist but I do tend to hear stories that it is. I was hoping anyone in recently could make a comment. 

4.) I guess in the end I was hoping people would chime in their opinion about Navy nuke. Especially minorities.   

Thank you again everyone
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2005, 09:02 by js.park »

BuddyThePug

« Reply #48 on: Sep 11, 2005, 11:40 »
Lots of your questions are already answered in  Re: questions about nuke program?  and other threads

js.park

« Reply #49 on: Sep 12, 2005, 12:14 »
I have read that thread and the questions are similar none of them are really answered. I guess in actuallity the only real concern I have is my family(gf included). I want to make sure that I can still be there for them when they need me.

20 Years Gone

« Reply #50 on: Sep 12, 2005, 12:42 »
Well, maybe it's been said before, but I'm sure when I initially asked questions, people took the time to answer them, though they were answered elsewhere onsite.

So,

1.  Unless your mother lives in proximity to Charleston, Norfolk, San Diego, Groton or Bremerton, (or Hawaii or Guam) you're going to be a distance from her.  Upside is, when you're in port, you do get those 30 days of leave to go visit her.  Not too many jobs in the civilian sector give you 30 days of leave when starting out.  While in schooling, your leave will be at specified times... Between schools, mostly.  If you mom has a crises, and you want to go help, and you are in the middle of NPS, there is a good chance that she'll have to deal with it on her own.  So far as staying in contact with her, surface is definitely better.  They now have e-mail for all, and if you're willing to buy a phone card for a buck a minute (Probably less nowadays) you can talk to her from almost anywhere in the world.  Sea time is up to the luck of the draw.  I did 2 deployments in 3 years on my first ship, and countless at-sea workup days.  Other guys from my NPS class went to a ship going into the yards, and never saw a day at sea in their 4 year tours.  Unless you get picked up staff for a proto-type tour, you wont be doing shore duty in a 6 year hitch.  And proto-type is arduous.  NPS/NFAS is much more like a time to get to know your family and do the whole dad/husband thing.  Proto-type less so. Those are your choices for shore duty.  If you do a full 5 year tour at sea, or maybe 4, you might be able to go recruiting, or go to a SIMA.  (Don't get dancing hula girls on your arms, or recruiting will not be an option).  I would have to opinion that the benefits of doing 6 as a navy nuke will make your mom proud, and certainly not waste her efforts on you.

2.    Well the first 2 years will probably tell.  Imagine you headed off to college for 2 years, and could come home and visit her from time to time.  Would the relationship last?  See answer 1, and substitute the word girlfriend for mom.

3.   Not in the nuke world.  At least, not in the surface nuke world.  Black, Korean, or gay...My experience was don't throw your personal agenda/racial views into other peoples face or space, do your job, and pull your share of the load, and they pretty much don't care what age/sex/religion/color you are.  But if you're a slacker/bagger, you could be a poster for the great american boy next door, and people will still rip you when the chance is there.  We had some supremacist types on my last ship.  Most never brought it to work.  One, however, wasn't to bright, and showed up on the news marching around with his arm in a hitler salute...   Not a wise career move.

4.  Navy nukes are mostly a great bunch of guys, who survive difficult times by whining a lot in creative ways, and making a joke about almost anything.  (Nothing is sacred)  When the work is accepted by them, they will be smart and innovative and dedicated.  If they think the job is just more BS work, they'll spend ten times more effort in avoiding the job then the effort it would have taken to do it in the first place.  They are patriotic, but overall dislike the navy while they are in, yet remember it fondly after they are out.  They hold most non-nukes in contempt, besides those they know personally.  If they didn't have a good work ethic going into the service, A school and NPS and Prototype, along with seas duty, gives them one.  You get the confidence and ability to match your intelligence, and that's a great combination.

That's about all I have to say about that.

Good luck with your decision.

Bill

js.park

« Reply #51 on: Sep 12, 2005, 05:18 »
Thank you for your response and I am sorry if I came back sounding like a smart a$$. I just felt that my concerns are my own and even though similar questions are asked elsewhere and answered, that those situations are not the same as mine. Either it is arrogance or stupidity I wont say but I do appreciate all comments. Thanks again.

spew

« Reply #52 on: Sep 13, 2005, 10:40 »
i'm not sure where i stand here.
Please refrain from making defamatory comments.  i know i screwed up.   i'm scared for my future now.
I enlisted in March as a nuclear recruit for DEP.
i was working in june for a moving company in New York.
So i went to Ottowa Canada for a weekend, and was arrested at the border for possession of marijuana.  My friend had hidden the stash in the car and forgotten about it.  He didn't step up and i was charged as the owner of the car.
So the charges were dismissed.   This means i have no criminal record of the crime.
HOWEVER...  i went on another trip out of the country and when i came through customs the June incident came up.   
I explained this to my recruiter.   He told me i have nothing to worry about.   I breathed a sigh, but i'm still shaking in my civilian little booties.   Anyone know what might happen, what i might do?
should i do a background check on myself?
my 30 day drug and IFA test is in about 15 days, i am perfectly prepared for it, but the June incident has me scared.
thanks guys.

BuddyThePug

« Reply #53 on: Sep 14, 2005, 12:15 »
I'm pretty sure they will let you go to bootcamp when you pass your urine test, and denuke you in bootcamp when the background check gets started. Not going to court doesn't mean there isnt a record.

nukestar select

« Reply #54 on: Sep 17, 2005, 02:34 »
i second that. i saw it happen in boot camp.  the other option is that they won't find out until 'A' school and then you will be stuck doing janitorial work for two years, (no opportunity to take college courses) while you wait for your clearance.

spew

« Reply #55 on: Sep 17, 2005, 03:21 »
should i try to get it waivered before i get into boot?
or will it matter?

navnukejkl

« Reply #56 on: Sep 17, 2005, 08:44 »
Take it from someone who this happened to, get EVERY LITTLE THING taken care of before you go.  If you even make it to Charleston, you will be on T-Track which is career suicide.  I can't advance, take college classes or do anything related to the nuclear field. I am a Machinist's Mate/ Janitor.  Good luck.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #57 on: Sep 17, 2005, 09:34 »
You are still a civilian. You may be in DEP, but thats about as close to being in the military as having seen Hunt for Red October makes you a submariner.

Fix your stuff now! Get everything in a contract saying you can still be a nuke. If no contract, do not ship. Let me repeat that, DO NOT JOIN THE NAVY unless you are guarteed, in writing, and notarized, and legal legal that your background does not prevent you from being CLASSIFIED as a NUKE TRAINEE.

If it does not work out, so  sorry, get less stupid friends and chalk it up to experience, then go get a tech degree and become a nuke officer 5 years from now. It may be possible.

If you ship w/o a binding status, you are f-ing yourself, without lubricant, without drinks, without dancing, fllowers, a next day phone call, more flowers, and anything else that would make it nicer.

That's the truth.

Good Luck,

Former MM1(SS)/Nuke LELT

joephys

« Reply #58 on: Sep 24, 2005, 09:42 »
1.  If you mom lives near a base that has subs or carriers you can see her all the time if you are in port.  Other than that you have to take leave.  Subs need to be near the surface to have contact with the rest of the world.  On a carrier we had email all the time.  My LPO had a buddy that was an IC so he had a phone line with and San Diego area code set up in our shop.  A lot of people shared that phone line, but as long as a calling card was used, no one cared.  (If the ship got a phone bill though all sorts of shit would go down, so it is a risky thing to do.)

2.  The navy cares if you have a wife.  The navy does not care if you have a girlfriend.  If you are married, the navy will move your wife to be with you.  If there is an emergency they can send you back to your wife.  The navy will let you move off the ship to live with your wife.  If its your girlfriend, the navy will not care at all about her, or your relationship.

3.  The navy is about the most un-racist place I have ever been.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #59 on: Sep 25, 2005, 12:42 »
The last post seemed to recommend that you marry your girlfriend because the Navy looks more favorably on married couples than unmarried ones.  This is absolutely untrue.
All of the points are technically true.  They do allow married sailors to live with their wives... etc.  A wife does have legal standing and rights that a girlfriend does not have.  She can go to a Navy hospital and give birth for absolutely zero money (except she will have to pay for her meals at the BAS rate for the time she is admitted).  She can shop at the exchange, inherit your property.  yada yada yada.
But a Navy wife has absolutely no way of getting you home if she has a problem.  Unless she is dying or giving birth to your child (and there are no absolute guarantees there) they won't cut you loose to be at her side either.  If your wife has a serious problem that is not life-threatening, and your command can't spare you, you are likely to hear the old standby, "the Navy did not issue you a wife." 

My point is this:  the military unintentionally gives the impression that marriage is the better choice for everyone.  The command structure is considerably older than the average recruit.  They are ALL on their second or third marriage unless they have wives who are solid as a rock, understanding, independent, patriotic, and able to keep themselves busy.  Most of these folks are the exception to the rule.  They have a level of maturity that most people do not attain untill well into their thirties.  For every Chief or Lieutenant Commander who has managed to stay married, there are five who are divorced, ten more who got out before they got that far, and three who got divorced AND got out.  If you ask anyone who is married and been in for ten or more years, most of them will tell you that their current marriage is less than five years old.

My advice to you is this:  1. Do not marry until you have about one year of sea duty left.  2. If you are married, do not (no matter how much money they wave under your impoverished nose) reenlist unless your marriage has survived the entire year of sea duty AND she is willing to put up with more of the same.  3. Save lots of money (at least half a year's pay) before you get married.  4. Before you wave to your wife from a ship that is going to sea, make sure that you have a financial plan for the time you are gone, a dependable car for her to drive, an emergency fund in case she needs it and (most important) the temperament to be understanding if she ignores the plan, wrecks the car and spends the money.  5. Only marry a woman who will be understanding when YOU ignore the budget, wreck your car, and blow all your savings - because young men do these things.
If you are meant to be together for life, you will be still after five more years.  If you absolutely cannot live without each other, one of you cannot be in the navy - period.  When you are both mature enough, and unselfish enough to put up with the low pay, prolonged separation, long work hours, and moving every two to five years; then you are ready to get married.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

jarad2002

« Reply #60 on: Sep 25, 2005, 03:12 »
I am a MMC/SS USN/RET.   The Navy is not racist at all, I am not sure where the rumors are from, but trust me, everyone, especially in the nuclear field is treated the same, 25/7 (if you know what I mean).  If there is even a hint of racism, then it is dealt with swiftly.  There is a considerable effort at providing equal opportunity training on a continuous basis.  If you join the Navy Nuclear Power Program, then do it for the right reasons and expect a lot of hard work, a lot of time away from family and friends.  Find yourself a mentor (ie SeaDad) and follow his lead and advise.  Choose a mentor carefully, talk to your division chief when deciding what your career path will be.   Go in the Nuke Program informed, and also have a good attitude so it will be reflected in your work and you won't regret it.  The advice of Beer Court cannot be stressed enough, it is all accurate. I just want to also add that relationships will change over time, and must constantly be worked at, regardless of the career path you select.  Good luck to you.

joephys

« Reply #61 on: Sep 25, 2005, 09:40 »
I didn't mean to suggest that you should go out and get married if you join the navy.  I was just trying to point out the technical aspects of being married vs. not being married.  (Although in my experience the navy does prefer married people because they are less likely to get out since they have to provide for their families.)

Don't take what I said as reasoning to get married.  Beer Court is right, there are a lot of dysfunctional relationships in the navy because people rush to get married.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #62 on: Sep 26, 2005, 01:43 »
Of course, I didn't mean that josephys was suggesting marriage.  The bare facts contained within his post could, however, be seen as persuasive evidence that marriage is better.
It is totally true that the Navy treats married people better.  They give free healthcare to spouses, but nopt girlfriends.  They give you more money in the form of housing allowances, and they give more freedom in the choice to live off-base - a choice not always available to single sailors even at their own expense.
All these things tend to make young sailors (like a young MM3 Bierkortte) to go off and get married.  They never told me how much stress the Navy would put on a new marriage between two young people.  Not that the young ones are the only ones vulnerable.  PUHLENNNTTTY of Chiefs and others at or near retirement were finding themselves in divorce court when the wife had finally decided that she had put up with enough.  When Congress passed the law giving ex-wives the right to half of a retired sailor's pension, lots of guys got out with 18 years in, rather than let her have anything.  Some say that they were stupid, but two years of civilian pay made up most of the loss of half of a pension.
Lots of drama and recriminations .. like any divorce.  Lots of guys realized too late that they had asked far too much from a young woman.   Lots of us realized far too late that the decision to marry was more from convenience than from a committment to each other.

On the back of the coin, there are many military marriages that do last.  Almost half of them, I would guess.  Those people have something going for them, no telling what it is, but they make it where others fail.  Without the ability to predict the future, all you can do is play the odds.  Your best chance of having a successful marriage in the military is to take the time to learn about each other and the unusual lifestyle of a military couple.  That way neither one of you is going to be shocked, surprised or dismayed enough to give up.  Telling her that it is going to be a hard life is not enough.  She's going to have to see it for herself before she can make an informed decision to endure it as your wife.

At your age, you can't stifle your ambitions and expect to be happy later.  If the Navy is the way you want to go, if you are being drawn toward that or any other career, you should follow your own dreams and hopefully your young lady will follow with you.  If you listen to all my warnings and decide to stay out of the Navy because you want to be with this woman, you will only grow to resent her for holding you back.  It IS totally possible for you tio have both.  You can be a Navy nuke and be happily married.  Maybe you can't do both at the same time, or maybe you can.  It all depends on your level of patience, maturity, and commitment.  That goes for both of you.  Just take your time, do it right, and do it for the right reasons ... not because the Navy gives you things for being married.
Good luck to you.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

js.park

« Reply #63 on: Sep 26, 2005, 02:04 »
Wow, I mean Wow
Thanks for the responses guys. Thanks BeerCourt I really do mean that. I never really expected responses like those. Although I do find it sort of ironic because my orginal post was more about family and relationships and not marriage. But the insights and opionions posted here are extrememly informative and gives me a much broader perspective on my situation. I am still young and I know I still have plenty of time to look for a career and stuff. I do need to take my time with this decision and I really do appreciate everything you guys have said. As of now I am still leaning towards Nuke. Although I do have a degree in Recording Arts and Broadcasting. Maybe I will look into that again. I have no idea I am just babbling now. But thanks agian and I will keep you guys updated. Please continue to share opinions and experiences I always enjoy getting more knowledge.

Thanks everyone!

Joe

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #64 on: Sep 26, 2005, 04:25 »
Did you talk to the officer recruiter?  Having a degree gives you that option too.  Look into AFRTS (Armed Forces Radio and Television Services) or any of the dozens of broadcasting or audio visual arts opportunities?  Did you know that large ships like Aircraft Carriers have their own television stations?    Most bases do too, especially the ones in other countries.  You could get stuck as a public information officer in some swamp like France, Greece or Italy.  Now, that would be a hardship.

js.park

« Reply #65 on: Sep 26, 2005, 05:32 »
Well I only have an AA in Recording Arts. So officer is not really going to happen. But the AFRTS definitely sounds interesting. That is something that I have never heard of. Is that a general service in the military or is that a rating of some sort? I will do some research but any additional info you can provide is always appreciated. Thanks

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #66 on: Sep 26, 2005, 08:58 »

chuckhallett

« Reply #67 on: Oct 03, 2005, 04:12 »
I would like to weigh in on your career choices.  I'm on my third wife (already a mistake) so I'm not going to say anything on that subject other than "Rent, don't buy"

I went into the Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program three days after graduating from high school (North Phoenix '70) because I had farted around all buy my last year in school and blown any chance at scholarships.  My dad and I lived together and our family car was a Yamaha 90 scooter, so I wasn't going to get tuition out of Pops.

I had some exposure to the Radio/TV world as my dad worked as the staff photographer for KTVK and KPHO.  I spent a lot of time at the station and even interned one summer.  It was a lot of fun, but I could see it was probably not ever going to be a high paying career.

To shorten a long story, I joined the navy and went nuke.  It was a wake-up call for me academically, but I handled it and graduated in the top ten percent of my class.  I enjoyed the navy until I got married, and went on two nine-month deployments aboard the Big E (Tunaprise, aka CVAN-65 [yes it had an A in it back then]).

Now to the real point I'm trying to make, which is career.  I'm 53 years old now and I've spent all but about three years of my adult life working in nuclear power.  I did seven in the canoe club, go out and went to school for about a year and then did some other stuff, but was back in the commercial nuclear world in 1980 at a really exciting growth time.  It is about to be 1980 all over again with the passage of the energy bill, many utilities are making plans to build new nuclear plants.  Problem is the average worker at a nuclear plant is about 55 years old!  I've seen a guy here where I work pushing a walker down the turbine bay!!!  New blood is needed.  The reasons for the lack of new blood generally can be traced to the historical belief that the nuclear industry was dying a long, but sure death, and few young workers wanted to make a career in an industry which was both downsizing and suffocating. 

Then, a rebirth which is happening as I type.  Construction on these new plants will just be starting when you finish your six year hitch, and believe me they will be recruiting you to work at them.  The utilities actually sued each other in the late seventies and early sixites for setting up and recruiting one another's employees to staff their new plants.  That is good for you!

Their can and will be some long hours, but unlike the navy, you will get paid for every hour of OT you work; possibly time and one-half.  I'd look at the navy as an apprenticeship/school.  It can be a bitch; one poster alluded to how sailors hate while in and think fondly of it when out.  I'm not going to admit to looking fondly on it, but it does now at least look like it was worth the effort.

When I went in, at the height of Viet Nam, I had many people try to discourage me from enlisting.  I was at an outdoor rodeo recently, and the annoncer was praising our troops.  Then he asked that all members of the large audience who had served in our nations armed forces during a time of conflict to stand.  I was surprised at how few there were who stood.  I was proud to do so, and for the first time experienced a deep satisfaction that the sacrifices I and others had made to serve.  Even though the vast majority of my generation either turned their back on service or never thought of it as a duty, I was glad that I could stand and perhaps realize that I had given something back to this nation that most only take for granted.

Finally, I want to make the point which made me respond to your post in the first place, and it has to do with career satisfaction.  I work with a lot of above average people.  You have to be above average to work in the commercial nuclear power industry; I do not work with people who off their tree, abusers of drugs or drink and not likely to miss lots of work, or show up with a weapon.  For a time I tried working in the general population selling cars in between nuclear contracts and what a wake up call that was!  To me, being forced to work in retail, or any other "public" job would be akin to being sentenced to community service.  The world is full of really stupid people, and I don't have to deal with them where I work.  If that rings a bell with what might await you in your chosen field, then I'd add another check mark under the PRO column for the Navy/Nuclear field.

Sorry for the rambling.  Good luck to you in whatever you choose to do.

Cannon

« Reply #68 on: Nov 06, 2005, 11:08 »
Hi guys my name is cannon and i have been enlisted in the navy for 2 months now and just now found this site. I would really like to go to USNA but dont have the grades i figured enlisting in a good field was my next best bet. basically what I am saying is what process will i go through to go from bootcamp to USNA. I am well aware that entrance into USNA is not guarenteed and am excited about working as a nuke if i dont get in.

visserjr

« Reply #69 on: Nov 08, 2005, 07:08 »
There are varying different ways to get there. The best bet is to work hard, and communicate to your supervisors your long term goal, and what you can do to get there. Alos, don't kiss tail, but perform. Look for answers to problems vice bitching about them. Check out the NAVY.com website. It has alot of specifics about each officer program. Also speak with your chief. It is my experience there is nothing a great chief can't help you with. Bad thing is though for the Naval Academy specifically, there are a large number of applicants and few spots, so something like poor HS grades may hinder you there. But, keep your chin up you can get into an officer program with a 1.8 HS GPA. Best of Luck.

John

navystang5o

« Reply #70 on: Nov 10, 2005, 11:11 »
well for one the best way to get anywhere in the navy from my experience is to show up on time in a good looking uniform and work hard but to get picked up for USNA you need to do more maintain your gpa in both A school and Power school as high as possible which is harder then you might think and when you first get to A school your slpo will ask if any one wants to volunteer for class leader do that its a leadership position take every opportunity to shine that you can and shine make it known to your slpo that you want officer he/she will be your new best friend and a pain in your ass but do what your told when your told dont ask why keep a clean room and uniform and prove that your worth the time and money

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
« Reply #71 on: Feb 04, 2006, 09:41 »
Hey everyone, my name is Dennis. I joined in late august and still have questions that I would like answered.

1. Will scoring the highest on my electrical and math parts help them decide that ET will be best for me.

2. How rigorous are the classes truely. I spoke with many people and were given many example study sheets and it doesn't sem to be more extensive than my precalc, trig, and chemistry classes.

3. Is the civilian outlook really that great? I want the straigh truth haha.

Thank you all for your time, and any advice you can offer will help a ton.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #72 on: Feb 04, 2006, 09:58 »
Hey everyone, my name is Dennis. I joined in late august and still have questions that I would like answered.

1. Will scoring the highest on my electrical and math parts help them decide that ET will be best for me.

Wouldn't hurt

2. How rigorous are the classes truely. I spoke with many people and were given many example study sheets and it doesn't sem to be more extensive than my precalc, trig, and chemistry classes.

The basics are no different than civilian mathematical and science classes, but the applications, analysis, and rote memorization of applied principles make it completely different than anything you can conceive. I had a friend that had a B.S in Mathematics. He breezed through Math, Physics 1,2 (they are all equations). He finished the first 5 weeks with a 3.8 something. Then Week 6 hit. Good bye basic math and physics equations, hello memorizing pages of text and definitions and sketches and system diagrams and graphs.........Bye Bye 3.8. He graduated with around a 2.8 something.

Me? I finished the 5 weeks with a 2.9 ish and graduated w/ a 3.5

What does is all mean? It means that just because you are good at math etc, does not mean diddly.

3. Is the civilian outlook really that great? I want the straigh truth haha.

Yes. A nuke, with a honorable discharge, with supervisor credentials, and a degree will have absolutely no problems finding a god job somewhere in the US. A degree is not necessay, but if you get out of today's Navy without a degree, you wasted your time.

Thank you all for your time, and any advice you can offer will help a ton.

See every other post pertaining to your subject heading.

« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2006, 11:09 by Shayne »

JsonD13

« Reply #73 on: Feb 04, 2006, 09:59 »
1) I have no clue, just score well, half of it I'm sure depends on the "needs of the Navy" (you'll learn what that means soon enough).

2) The courses aren't too bad if you have been exposed to that kind of thing before. The toughest part for me was doing it the "Navy way".  Other than that, think of covering the most important parts of Calc I in a month.

3)  From the colleges that I have talked to about advanced degrees (MS and higher) to the postings on here, the outlook is excellent.  Most people I know that get out start around 60K a year and they rapidly move up the scale.

Any more questions, just go ahead and ask.

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
« Reply #74 on: Feb 04, 2006, 10:18 »
thank you guys for the responses...do u kno how close to a BS you are after NPS? Also how do people become instructors at NPS or prototype?

taterhead

« Reply #75 on: Feb 05, 2006, 02:42 »
Depending on the degree program, there are BSAST degrees out there that require an extra 6-8 classes to get the degree.

To become an instructor at NPS, you should be a Watch Supervisor qualified First Class sea returnee or above.  To go to Prototype, you need only be a second class qualified Senior in rate sea returnee (unless you are a staff pickup, but that is a different thread).
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2006, 02:42 by taterhead »

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
« Reply #76 on: Feb 05, 2006, 04:19 »
When will I receive a chance to be one of these? Because I would really like to take part in this.

BuddyThePug

« Reply #77 on: Feb 05, 2006, 04:53 »
you'll find out when you get there. No point counting your chickens before you even get to bootcamp....

taterhead

« Reply #78 on: Feb 05, 2006, 05:24 »
When will I receive a chance to be one of these? Because I would really like to take part in this.

Take part in what?  Instructor duty?

After you complete your first sea tour, which is 3-5 years after prototype.  Like Buddy said, you have many hours of midwatch to stand before then...

Rad Sponge

« Reply #79 on: Feb 05, 2006, 05:57 »
Its great that you want to engage in a career path now.

There are many variables behind the scenes that you as a trainee will have no direct control over in terms of what will happen to you in the pipeline in regards to nuke life:

1. Your rating (MM, EM, or ET). Now, when I joined there was a shortage of MMs so I could guarantee MM during boot. However, you will find out if you can choose any particular rating during your boot camp in-processing. One day, all the nukes in your boot camp division will be marched over to some office to do some nuke paperwork. All the rating stuff will happen there.

2. Your class start date. Ok, you graduate boot and are whisked off to beautiful and balmy Charleston, South Carolina to begin your A-school training. If a class of A-schoolers just started, you may be doing none-nuke training until the next class forms up (waiting on more arrivals from boot camp). This none-nuke training will most likely involve cleaning something and being bossed around by none-nuke enlisted building managers who have nothing better to do then be mean to nukes that willmost likely be of equal rank to them in less than 2 years time.

:o Caution: During this down time you may feel antsy, nervous, ready to start nuke training, bored, pissed off, FTNed, or in close proximity to bad nukes who are on restriction and quite possibly on the way out of the nuke pipeline en route to a life of scraping and painting various metal things. During these times many potentially good nukes find themselves in bad nuke situations and due to lack of foresight, become bad nukes. Therefore, of you find yourself in the wrong crowd, leave the crowd.

3. Your class starts. Yea, have fun and study. Graduate, get your chevron, go to Petty Officer Third Class Indoctrination training. Pat yourself on the back, you deserve it, get ready for round 2.

:o Caution: Time for more cleaning. See you may either be the last graduating A-School class to form up with the other graduated A-school classes to form up an entire Nuclear Power School class OR you may be waiting for more A-school classes to graduate. So basically there could be a week or lotsa weeks between graduating A-school and starting NPS. It all depends on timing. So, more cleaning possibly and other infrastructurally necessary duties to keep the big machine turning.

I was doing this for about 7 weeks. Keep sharp. Keep motivated. Stay out of trouble.

4. NPS begins. Yea, have fun and study. Try and graduate in the top 50% or better. Graduate. Pat yourself on the back, you deserve it, get ready for round 3.

;D No more barracks, gotta find an apartment or a house to rent either in SC or NY depending. You by now have formed a close relationship with a few guys that you can trust. Become roommates or find your own place.

5. Prototype. This is where the choices begin that will make or break your chances to be an instructor. The first step was actually making it to prototype having graduated in the top half of your NPS class. Now its time to seperate the wrench turners from the theory-jockies. You better impress the heck out of your been-there-done-that-used-to-fish instructors. You may ask, "How do I do that?". "Well, for 19.95...." No, seriously, its really quite easy:

1. Be 15-20 minutes early for everything scheduled.....coming to work, classes, small group exercises, 1-on-1 training.
2. Work tirelessly to stay ahead of "The Curve". The curve is this imaginary monolithic structure that make apes pick up bones and kill each other  :P The curve is just a projected level of completeness you need to be at in relation to your specific prototype class of MMs, EMs, ETs respectively. You want to be at least 10% or more ahead of "The Curve". Think of the curve as a savings account. The farther you get ahead of the curve, the more money you have in the bank. Maybe one day you lose your job or in relative turns, the prototype reactor has to shut down for some reason and the training progress slows too. Well, if you had no money in the bank and lost your job, life would suck. If the training tool goes away and you are straddling the curve, you will soon be "NEGATIVE". Don't be negative, ever. Being negative is like being financially in the red.
Bad ju-ju.

But how do I get ahead of "The Curve"? Really easy.

a. By working tirelessly to get check-outs, by putting in extra hours, by setting the example for your peers, by impressing your instructors, by bringing candy to check-outs.

Aside from the candy, all the preceding stuff will motivate your instructors to facilitate your qualifying ahead of a more shit-bag type trainee.

3. Uniforms: Keep them inspection ready. Have a uniform you don't mind getting dirty "On the boat". Have seperate uniforms you wear in the off-hull building. Maybe you are covered in grease because you just got off watch, but is that the presentation you want to make in the training environment to people that may think you just look like shit rather than knowing you just got off watch?

4. Now, following all that advice, you have done EVERYTHING in YOUR power to make yourself look good for: Officer programs, being selected for staff training right after graduation (staff pick-up), or an extra school if you are an MM (Welder or ELT). You've kept your nose clean, studied hard, shown respect, maintained a nice uniform, qualified early, stood watch, gave a sea-returnee time off watch because you qualified to stand his/her watch, and are now a useful nuke. You are done.

??? But you were not selected for anything? Why? Who knows, maybe there is a new ship needing extra manning, maybe a bunch of senior guys at sea got discharged, maybe there were candidates better than you. Who knows. These are all those intangible behind the scene things you are not privy to and have no control over. Do you become imbittered? No, you take your ethics to sea and keep on plugging. A nuke like you is bound to succeed and become a stand-out somewhere.

Acting the same way at sea will make you eligible for all the special programs you want.

8) There are many things I have not covered, but its beyond your level of concern right now. So much of th pipeline is situational and cultural that I could not begin to describe the finer points in a way that it would make any sense to you. Just follow my advice and you will easily figure the rest of out for yourself.

Good luck.

graydragon67

« Reply #80 on: Feb 06, 2006, 12:24 »
AMEN to brother JMK!

You forgot the whole drinking and drug lecture but, other than that it was fabulous!

Rad Sponge

« Reply #81 on: Feb 06, 2006, 08:51 »
Short and Sweet Drug Lecture

by JMK

Chapter 1: Drug Use

a. Legal Drugs-You better have a current prescription and a documented reason for taking them and the prescription better be a Navy Prescription and it bettter be documented in your medical record
b. Illegal Drugs- Zero tolerance for use or association with users

Chapter 2: Alcohol

a. 21 or over- Drink responsibly, never show up hung over or with alcohol breath, never drink around those under 21
b. Under 21- Zero tolerance for underage drinking, never even hang out around legal drinkers drinking.

The End

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
« Reply #82 on: Feb 06, 2006, 10:11 »
jmk thank you very much for all the details. now i have a much better idea of everything. I realize that i have much time before this comes, but I like to be prepared. I thikn its the fact that I do not want to fail, and i want to be as great as my potential will allow.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #83 on: Feb 06, 2006, 01:09 »
You are most welcomed.

I was once you, clueless, but motivated.

I however did not have a website like this to prepare me, however I did have excellent mentors to keep me on the straight and narrow through "proactive and reactive leadership".

If you have any more questions, let em rip.

Keep me posted as your nuclear saga unfolds.

ccarpenter5423

« Reply #84 on: Feb 06, 2006, 02:55 »
Whats cracking dennis,
I currently have been in the program for five and a half years. 
I am just going to make this short and sweet. 

1 They give you a chance to pick,  usually everyone wants to either be an ET or MM.  I might be a little biased here, but i actually think EM is the way to go,  keep in mind that things are different depending on if you go subs or surface.  I think that every rate has its goods and bads,  I will say that as far as getting a degree you get more credit for a wire biter rate.  Even though they let you pick, I'm not sure how exactly they decide. 

2  As far as classes go, I would say that they have very little to do with math, some physics, and some chemistry.  Mostly the school goes into engineering principles on subjects such as what your in-rate will be, heat engines, reactor theory, and radiation.  You will learn what they all are,  the school is ten hours long a day,  you will usually have three to four hours of homework.  Sometimes you will have mandatory study hours, even if you have no homework.  The hardes part is that its just alot of cramming of info all at once.  Im not going to lie its not going to be fun. 

3.  The civilian outlook.  Well this is where about 75% of people get lossed in the program, usually they all forget about there original goal.  Most guys after finally getting to the ship and becoming senior just want to party.  You should definately have as much as fun as you can...... as long as it does not interfere with you getting out.  Be weary of the dreaded re-enlistment bonus, THEY will usually try to get you to bite right out of the "the pipeline" promising you that you will make much more money in the long run.  The civilian outlook depends on what you do.  Just make sure you pursue school as soon as you can.  This will probably be once you get to your ship or boat and have qualified a few watches.  Make sure you save up enough money to support you for like six to eight months.  probably like fifteen thousand.  The average jobs i see people getting start 45k to 50k.  If your hard charging and have qualified "Watch Supervisor" and have completed a degree, you could start at 60k to 70k.  Keep in mind these are all starting pays and jobs also come with benefits, bonuses and allowances.  If you have any questions just let me know.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #85 on: Feb 06, 2006, 04:09 »
CC is absolutely on target with the salaries...

All those stories about nukes getting out making 6 figures or high 5 figures are misleading to a point. Does it happen? Yes. However...

The biggest money for a nuke is civilian nuclear power. Is there a catch? Yes.

You start as an Non Licensed Operator or Auxilliary Operator for maybe 21-27 ish/hour depending on location. Still not bad money, but does that equate to big big money? No, you need to factor in overtime. You won't be making the big nuke bucks without putting in some serious hours.

Eventually you move up the ranks and if you want, move into Reactor Operator and eventually Senior Reactor Licensing. Now we are talking big bucks but we are also talking 4-8 years after starting as an NLO.

Now, its possible to bypass NLO and move straight into RO/SRO qualifications. Yes. But it depends on the company and your background. You will need a 4 year degree in preferably a technical/engineering type program, been qualified EWS/PPWS/and-or EOOW/PPWO and unless you are Gods gift to nukes, that will take you longer than your basic 6 year nuke contract to accomplish. Can you complete a 4 year degree and be qualified EWS/PPWS without ever re-enlisting? Yes, seen it, but it is the exception.

Are there other places for nukes to make big money? Sure.

Pharmaceutical, manufacturing, bio-technology, I/C, the list goes on. I have found that many major companies like nukes because we are so damn trainable. We know how to think and act methodically and proactively.

Based on hiring conferences I have attended, the starting salary for nukes like me (degree, supervisor, 8-10 yrs, Frst Class) is between 50K - 65K base. These were non-nuke companies (Pharma, Manufacturing, Semi-Conductor) looking for nukes.

I say base salary because its just a starting base salary. Think of it as minimum wage. You don't expect to stay at minimum wage, its just a starting point. More importantly are the benes! 8) Healthcare, Insurance, retirement: That is serious stuff to consider. 45K w/ full benes is worth a hellava lot more to me than 60K w/o full benes.

To sum up, the money is there for those nukes with the right credentials. If you get out at your 6 year point with only the minimum qualifications required of you (Warfare (if sub), Senior in Rating Watch qualified) you better have no delusions of grandeur when it comes to salary proposals.

Every extra thing you achieve means more potential starting salary: Instructor qualified, Master Training Specialist, Watch Supervisor, Leading Petty Officer, and of course higher ranks, and obviously a degree.

But to do the extra stuff, you will most likely be going past 6 years in the Navy, probably an average of 8-10 years to achieve all that...and then what's the point of getting out then (this is a whole new discussion  :D).

And lastly, my take on choosing a rating.

If given a choice I'd go ET and learn as much extra stuff about ET repair, PLC, etc. Its the future of manufacturing! Robotics, PLCs, Liquid Plasma input doohickies).

But I chose MM and became an ELT and set myself up fot three distinct job fields: Operations, Chemistry, and Health Physics. The catch is that you can't choose ELT. Its a roll of the dice, another one of those intangible things that happened to fall in my lap AFTER I followed all that advice I gave you. Also, only MMs can become ELTs.

If given a choice from Day 1..MM, EM, or ET. I'd choose ET.

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
« Reply #86 on: Feb 06, 2006, 08:45 »
thank you all. i am extremely happy with the possible degrees i can receive after schooling.Ill be sure to keep every one posted about my experiences. i do not leave until july but ill be a regular on this forum.

Thank you

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
« Reply #87 on: Feb 09, 2006, 10:09 »
as promised i am keeping every1 up to date. well i had a meeting with my guidance counselor and she called me the dumbest piece of blank for enlisting... she is upset that i didnt take the medical path, which she told me i would never get into anyways...ha showd her, i got accepted to j.hopkins...but i feel i made the right choice by going nuclear...for now.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #88 on: Feb 09, 2006, 10:20 »
 >:( :o ???

Holy Cheese and Rice Little Mr. Nukie.

You got accepted to John's Hopkins?

PM me, please.

Oh, and tell your lack of guidance-counselor to kiss my big white hairy....

I was probably making more money than her by my 2 year point. ;D

Offline tigger

• Moderate User
« Reply #89 on: Feb 13, 2006, 01:15 »
Good luck no matter which route you choose.
I am going through a nuke program right now.... in the civilian world. It is probably the hardest thing I have ever had to do. They crap so much information into your head, give you a test on it at the end of the week and move on to something new. As soon as you have one thing memorized, they are cramming something else in there, and expecting you to remember what the last thing was too, plus everything before that. Then you get to oral boards, and have to spit it all out at rapid rates of speed or they assume you don't know it.
My back ground is in nursing, and I had an opportunity to go to medical school. Did I make the right choice in choosing nuclear power? I don't know and I may never know. I had applied at Johns hopkin's hospital to the research facility and was accepted, but life circumstances prevented me from going there. It would have been an opportunity of a lifetime for me. They offered to let me attend their medical school classes for the cost of the books.
As for this nuke program, start practicing memorizing technical BS quickly. If you can do that you should be fine. Right now we do 4-7 systems a week and some have absolutely nothing to do with anything else you are doing.
If you can memorize and remember the small details with the big ones they throw at you, you should do fine.
Oh, the reenlistment thing, if you decide to go that route, do it in a tax free zone if you can. Make the bonus that much nicer.
Good luck no matter what. Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and should do well.

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
« Reply #90 on: Feb 13, 2006, 08:15 »
Tigger,

Thank you for the support. Yeah my Johns Hopkin's chance wouldn't favor me due to family situations and stuff like that. But I think it may have been a bad route for me anyways. I've already met great people who have become mentors somewhat and give me great compliments such as yourself. I look forward to possible work beside any of the people on this board. Yes, the reenlistment seems nice, I figure I'd only be 26 after. It seems like a nice amount to put on a house :) , but who knows. Thank you for the help.

Dennis

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
« Reply #91 on: Feb 22, 2006, 06:45 »
hey everyone, I have another question. I was curious to know if any person knew if the dorm room or sleeping facilities had high speed internet?

longball4414

« Reply #92 on: Feb 23, 2006, 02:12 »
Please say yes, please say yes

crossing fingers

taterhead

« Reply #93 on: Feb 23, 2006, 03:45 »
High speed internet?

When we were in school, we drank beer for fun. 8)

Those of us who were of age and weren't on mega-hours, that is....

WarKrisMagic

« Reply #94 on: Feb 23, 2006, 01:51 »
Please say yes, please say yes

crossing fingers

Ditto.. my computer is much less a seperate entity, and much more something growing off of my body.  I need it.

taterhead

« Reply #95 on: Feb 23, 2006, 02:54 »
...for the times, they are a changin'...

-Bob Dylan

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
« Reply #96 on: Feb 23, 2006, 05:15 »
well i severly hope so, do to the fact that I want to purchase an alienware comp. for gaming and stuff of that sort. If not then I assume I will have more time for tennis, surfing and scuba diving. well that is if I do not have to study too much. Yeah i have another 2.5-3 years until I can legally drink, so thats out of the picture.

longball4414

« Reply #97 on: Feb 23, 2006, 06:49 »
Lol same reasons here Bighouz and warkrismagic

Fermi2

« Reply #98 on: Feb 23, 2006, 07:24 »
well i severly hope so, do to the fact that I want to purchase an alienware comp. for gaming and stuff of that sort. If not then I assume I will have more time for tennis, surfing and scuba diving. well that is if I do not have to study too much. Yeah i have another 2.5-3 years until I can legally drink, so thats out of the picture.

Why are NUBS worried about playing computer games before they've spent even one day in boot camp.

Just worry about getting out of boot first.

Mike

visserjr

« Reply #99 on: Mar 25, 2006, 10:08 »
Taterheaed and mike are right. Shoot, I don't recall anyone even owing a computer when I went through. Hell, only a handfull had a tv and vcr. As for the beer. Aw to be in orlando, when boot camp was still open. I digress. I personally, would leave computers and the such at home while in nuc school, and buy a calling card. Mike is right though. Worry about boot camp first. Thouhgh it is significantly easier now, it is still designed to challenge who you are and what you are made of. Many people wash out of boot camp for the silliest things(a guy with lower intestinal problems, a guy with severe athlete's foot, and the all inclusive wizz quiz) Many people who start your training with you from bootcamp through nuc school won't make it. My BC company had twenty nucs, five made it to the fleet, and two of those lasted less than a year there. Ramble, ramble, sorry. Look, there will be plenty of fun to be had but remember you are being paid to do a job, and that job will be to pass school. Take it one step at a time and best of luck.

Itzhakway

« Reply #100 on: Dec 23, 2006, 11:28 »
After the ASVAB I’m supposed to be interviewed. Assuming I’ll score high enough, I’ll ask for Nuke Program. Can you tell me what to expect in the interview?

Thanks.

DJM75

« Reply #101 on: Dec 24, 2006, 12:58 »
If I remeber correctly that they just ask what you like to do.  To try and see what kind of job you would like.  But don't worry if you score high enough and show interest in the Nuke field you'll get it.  There is another test you have to take to become a Nuke.  the NFQT.  Nuke Field Qualifying test.  It has more in depth math and science questions.
  Don

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #102 on: Dec 24, 2006, 08:15 »
If your grades are high enough on the ASVAB (or the NFQT (Nuke test) if required) the interview is basically to let you know it is a challenging program. A little clarification about the classes you have taken (and explanations of poor grades if applicable) and discussion of illegal drugs will probably be the focus.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

drs0ger

questions about navy nuke
« Reply #103 on: Jan 04, 2007, 01:04 »

Hello  I took the AFQT and qualified for nuke, but I have no idea if it is what I wont to do, but am most likely going to do it anyway, next Friday . I have taken my physical but have not signed the (contract) yet  I hear you can get f***ed  and become non(need of navy) ez if you mess up, or get ripped off with the sign-on  bonuses
Q.1 what should I look for and  elc

Next Can any 1 in the program or has been throw the program help.  I have been reading this site for a couple of days now and I   don’t know some stuff that I would like to know.

First off  let me say some problems I face,

1 my hand righting sucks  I can barley read it  so Q.2  can I use a laptop in class? (I hear you cant take notes out side of class)  how are notes taken, and is work on computer ?

Yes I know that 2 questions

2 my spelling sucks, I HATED taking notes in high school and normally only memorized the subject to pass  witch is ezer for me then most others,  like on  notebook tests, I wouldn’t  use any notes (normally because I couldn’t read them,) but I had no trouble passing most classes with 80+, and if I had trouble( like with teachers that wanted text book answers-ie word for word in the notes they put on the board)  I would get copies of notes from friends  (((HELL I had to use Microsoft word and spell check to right this)))   Q.2 is these a problem?

Other questions   1 I have a car    Q.A wall I have time to bring it down (I hear they may do it for me?) Q.b how useful well it be like, well I have a place to put it and is it necessary to get to school
    And last any problems I wall most likely face ?

------------For those who don’t wont to read start here The Abridged version

Q.1, what should I look for in the contract to not get f***ed  elc?
Q.2, can I use a laptop in class? how are notes taken, and is work on computer ?
   Q.3or4, is bad really bad  spelling / hand righting  a problem ?
   Q.5and6, my car well it be of help ?
   Q.7 any problems I wall most likely face?

Thank you  my email is    drs0ger@yahoo.com  try to make any email you send me not sound like spam I have a bad habit of deleting good email that way  thank you for your time.

Rad Sponge

Re: questions about navy nuke
« Reply #104 on: Jan 04, 2007, 08:57 »
Hello  I took the AFQT and qualified for nuke, but I have no idea if it is what I wont to do, but am most likely going to do it anyway, next Friday . I have taken my physical but have not signed the (contract) yet  I hear you can get f***ed  and become non(need of navy) ez if you mess up, or get ripped off with the sign-on  bonuses
Q.1 what should I look for and  elc

Next Can any 1 in the program or has been throw the program help.  I have been reading this site for a couple of days now and I   don’t know some stuff that I would like to know.

First off  let me say some problems I face,

1 my hand righting sucks  I can barley read it  so Q.2  can I use a laptop in class? (I hear you cant take notes out side of class)  how are notes taken, and is work on computer ?

Yes I know that 2 questions

2 my spelling sucks, I HATED taking notes in high school and normally only memorized the subject to pass  witch is ezer for me then most others,  like on  notebook tests, I wouldn’t  use any notes (normally because I couldn’t read them,) but I had no trouble passing most classes with 80+, and if I had trouble( like with teachers that wanted text book answers-ie word for word in the notes they put on the board)  I would get copies of notes from friends  (((HELL I had to use Microsoft word and spell check to right this)))   Q.2 is these a problem?

Other questions   1 I have a car    Q.A wall I have time to bring it down (I hear they may do it for me?) Q.b how useful well it be like, well I have a place to put it and is it necessary to get to school
    And last any problems I wall most likely face ?

------------For those who don’t wont to read start here The Abridged version

Q.1, what should I look for in the contract to not get f***ed  elc?
Q.2, can I use a laptop in class? how are notes taken, and is work on computer ?
   Q.3or4, is bad really bad  spelling / hand righting  a problem ?
   Q.5and6, my car well it be of help ?
   Q.7 any problems I wall most likely face?

Thank you  my email is    drs0ger@yahoo.com  try to make any email you send me not sound like spam I have a bad habit of deleting good email that way  thank you for your time.

All right, I will field this and be as direct and blunt as possible. I am not aiming to insult you, though.

Q1: Read the contract very carefully.

Q2: No, no laptops. Most lesson plans are presented in an ordered fashion via lecture or computer based training. You will be WRITING down the notes.

Q3: Your spelling is horrible, your grammar is horrible. It makes you look stupid. You can still make it through the program, but...

Q5: A car will be useful. You will be able to bring your auto on base after a few weeks, but I am unsure of the exact policy. A car is nearly an absolute necessity at prototype.

Q7: See the other million threads addressing life in the program.

Get a better WORD spell check program.

Rifleman

« Reply #105 on: Jan 04, 2007, 11:50 »
Q.1  Read it, especially the parts about what is required to get your bonus, when you have to extend your enlistment to be in the Nuc program and the like.  If you don't understand something... Make the LT. explain it to you.  the Recruiter will tell you what you want to hear, the Lt. will have a much more difficult time stretching the truth.

Q.2  Yes, if you don't meet the requirements of the program you can be dropped from it.  At any time for a BUNCH of reasons.  Medical disqualification (red green color blindness got a bunch of people in my class), disciplinary disqualification... too many speeding tickets, not showing up for class, UA (navy version of AWOL).  Art. 92 of the UCMJ, "failure to follow a direct order"...  Academic disqualification... failing tests, boards, exams... Understand they aren't out to just drop people, they need people, but if you don't toe the line, you will be doing something else.  If it is a problem the navy has (i.e. medical disqualification they didn't catch until after the contract was signed) they have to offer you something else, or out if you want out.  If it's a problem you have (i.e. discipline or academic) they can assign you to what ever they need.  Next to Navy Seals, the Nuc program has the highest attrition rate of any program in the navy.

Q.3  They have to read what you write on the tests, they will work at it, but if they can't tell what it is you are trying to communicate... then the answer is wrong.  No laptops in class, most if not all of the material is Classified, you can't even removed your notes or any other information from the buildings/site.

Q.4  POV transportation helps if you are assigned to the shore based prototypes, they didn't have any of the NPTU Charleston S.C. or NPTU Kings Bay GA when I was in.  I drove my motorcycle in upstate New York for a year... talk about stupid.

Q.5  Attitude and Perseverance... you are going to run into jag bags that are going to piss you off and are in a position to make your life miserable... not everyone mind you, but there will be a few and they will give you reason to mess with their medical record...  If you can say, "When I'm master chief I'm sure as hell not going to run my division like this" and keep your eye on the goal... you will make it, if you give up, you're done.  The one I used to use all the time (and this was during the cold war) was, "good thing we are fighting the Red Stink together, cuz if it was me vs. you... I'd have to kick your azz".

Itzhakway

« Reply #106 on: Jan 04, 2007, 06:17 »
I’m about to go for the ASVAB, but I first need to hand over the security questioner. I am aiming for the Nuclear Program, which require high security clearance. In the past few years I have used marijuana on several occasions with some friends. I am not regular user and definitely not an addict. Haven't used it for quite long time. I have not used any other illegal drugs. I am concern that if I’ll disclose that on the security questioner, I’ll be kicked out. Any suggestions?

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #107 on: Jan 04, 2007, 07:15 »
I’m about to go for the ASVAB, but I first need to hand over the security questioner. I am aiming for the Nuclear Program, which require high security clearance. In the past few years I have used marijuana on several occasions with some friends. I am not regular user and definitely not an addict. Haven't used it for quite long time. I have not used any other illegal drugs. I am concern that if I’ll disclose that on the security questioner, I’ll be kicked out. Any suggestions?

...imagine the suffering in the decades ahead if you lie and are not discovered and then imagine the elation if you are tactfully candid and accepted...

M1Ark

« Reply #108 on: Jan 04, 2007, 07:38 »
Exams are in essay format and I have seen numerous people get lower grades than their actual knowledge level due to their lack of ability to express their thoughts.  This is quite a handicap for someone entering the program that is already one of the toughest to pass.  NFQT and the ASVAB were multiple choice and fill in the blank.  Nuclear Power School is nothing like it.

You can pass.  But I definately would consider what-if scenarios since you appear to be at-risk based on what I read from your first post.

M1Ark

drs0ger

« Reply #109 on: Jan 05, 2007, 02:47 »
Lol   I just read my last post dam! my grammars bad!
 I was tired when I wrought it but dam.

Thank you all for your help and sar you had to read that lol, I needed sleep badly lol  I know its not funny I worked all day and I felt like time was running out so I posted that and  got like 20 email’s telling me to get a better  spell-check.  lol I don’t blame them  but it did help me with getting info I needed, and I still need some ! but most of my Q’s have been answered and I thought I would post a apology to any 1 ?board? anof to read it all, and helpful anof you reply  even if you only had to say( learn how to spell x100times – you know who you are and it was funny )  lol  after all it is something I need to work harder on, I try but apparently not anof  any more help you can give me  my email is drs0ger@yahoo.com
agen  try to make any email you send me not sound like spam I have a bad habit of deleting good email that way  thank you for your time.

ps i if i havent re emailed you ill get u 2maro i have like 20+more to do its 15 to 1am here and i get up at 8
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2007, 02:49 by drs0ger »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #110 on: Jan 05, 2007, 09:59 »

ps i if i havent re emailed you ill get u 2maro i have like 20+more to do its 15 to 1am here and i get up at 8

It is not unusual for the nuclear plant enlisted men to work hard for 8 hrs doing plant maintentance, catch 4 hrs sleep, and then be REQUIRED to operate their watchstation in a 100% defect-free manner. 

Spelling and grammar require much less attention to detail than operating a nuclear power plant. Clear communication is necessary for running the plant, and to give others the information that they need. Getting bad information because the logs were in some sort of '733t hAx0r' MySpace gibberish could hazard the plant, the vessel, or shipmates lives.

The AFQT exam is to determine the minimum aptitude necessary to get IN to the program. It is not a predictor of success. Every single one of the countless Nuclear-designated sailors that became 'nuclear waste', i.e. washed out at boot camp, A school, NPS , prototype and the fleet had ALL previously passed the AFQT to get in. Many of those washouts put in 40-60 hours AFTER class each week to valiantly try to learn enough to make it.

It's nothing personal, if anything the public school system let you down by not applying sufficient academic rigor to build skills. They simply need to push warm bodies out. And the recruiters need a warm body to come in, so there you are. It doesn't mean that the nuclear fleet is a good match for you, nor are you automatically a good match for the nuclear fleet.

If you do truly value the time that the other posters on this thread have spent, please don't reply asking for more help. Go back and read their postings for comprehension, and review the other threads that have already covered your posted questions.

Probably the only question(s) that really still need to be answered in your mind are: Does the harsh and complex life of the Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program REALLY fit in your life plans, AND will you be a valuable asset to the Fleet? Both are important. If the answer to either is "no", there is no shame in that, and there are many success paths in life, some of which might still see you working in the power industry in the future. But not this program.

Do keep in mind, the fleet isn't amateur hour, and the lack  of diligence on one sailor's part, can injure and kill others.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

ender17

« Reply #111 on: Jan 13, 2007, 04:21 »
Ye would be by far not the first nuke to have done pot before he/she joined.  Waivers are a wonderful thing.  I have two.  One for once having asthma, and a second because I had once volunteered to see a shrink.

knyles34

Question about the test
« Reply #112 on: Feb 01, 2007, 01:50 »

I recently found out that I didn't get the score I needed on the nuke test.  I don't think I missed it by that much but my recruiter didn't tell me my score.  Is there any way I can retake the test, is there a time limit or some sort of waiver.  Being a part of the Navy is a big deal to me and I really want to be in the nuke program.  My anxiety over the ramifications the test held over my future got to me.  I would appreciate if anyone had an answer or some advice.

thanks

Draonc

Nuclear ET
« Reply #113 on: Feb 01, 2007, 02:10 »
Hi I am thinking about going Nuclear. The only problem is I don't know much about the program. My recruitor is trying to talk me in to being a Nuclear ET but neither on of us knows much about it. Before I finally make the decision I need to know more about the job.

As of right now I am an ET but in a few days I will go to take my Nuclear test and I need some info before I do this.

Draonc

Re: Question about the test
« Reply #114 on: Feb 01, 2007, 02:12 »
My recruitor told me that you only get one chance to pass the test but I don't know.
I am going to take the test soon I hope I pass it. Do you have any advice on what to study it would be appreciated.

shayne

Re: Nuclear ET
« Reply #115 on: Feb 01, 2007, 03:22 »
Unless things have changed recently, once you qualify for the nuclear program, you will just be another nuclear field candidate.  After weeks in Basic Training will you find out what rate you are, either MM, EM, or ET.  Consider that fact that you could be an Mechanical Operator (MM), Electrical Operator (EM), or an Reactor Operator (ET).  The MM, EM jobs in the Regular Navy are just about the same as the Nuclear Qualified with the execption of the heat source.  MMs will operate and perform maintenance on the steam plant/turbines and auxiliaries equipment such as Air conditioning systems, distilling units, air compressors, etc.  EM will operate and perform maintenace the electrical systems (Generators, Motors, and Medium and Low Voltage distribution systems). Navy ET jobs are so specific to a particuliar Navy Classification (NEC) that it couldn't really compare to the nuclear field.  The ETs operate the reactor and perform maintenance on the reactor plant control systems. 

Offline MM1 subnuke

• Light User
Re: Nuclear ET
« Reply #116 on: Feb 02, 2007, 03:17 »
I am a recruiter out of houston, and also a nuke mm1.  I had to take the test when i came into the navy.  I made an 89 on my asvab.  If you have a strong background in math and science you should be fine.  Worst case scenario, you fail.  You can take the test again.  The options that this program will open for you are vast.  And also the Navy will through a lot of money your way if that is something that interest's you.

homersimpson

bunch of questions on A school
« Reply #117 on: Feb 05, 2007, 01:10 »
ok, so i got into nuke, now i have a bunch of questions on A school...

1. do you get time off after boot camp and before A school?

2. are you able to bring a car to A school? do you have time to do anything with it anyway?

3. i heard ET is the best rating to try and get, and it will land you the most money coming out of the navy...also i heard MM is the dirtiest...?

4.the age old question, sub v. carrier?

5. um, any random advice to keep me from getting into trouble/flunking out/etc.?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?