Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke Qualifying Test  

Author Topic: Nuke Qualifying Test  (Read 160076 times)

co60slr

Re: Nuke Qualifying Test
« Reply #100 on: Nov 17, 2010, 04:37 »
Hi. I am 17, still in high school, and just signed up for the Navy. I got an 87 on my ASVAB, but scored a 238 on NUKE so I have to take the test as well. My current job is a CTR so I am not sure if I should try for NUKE or not. I have been adviced to by my recruiter and the Chief, but not sure how I will do. Can anyone tell me  what type of things are on the test? Last night was my first time even hearing the word NUKE!!!!
While you're going to get 40 people that tell you to start researching the Forum threads for your answers (and trust me...there are tons of unsorted Q&As with many "golden nuggets" for you to find), I'll offer a quick bit of advice:

Consider your resume in 6-8 years after the Navy when you're looking to get out.   What do you want to get out of the Navy (e.g., experience, education) that will help with those goals?    The question doesn't imply you have an immediate answer since many of us were once in your exact shoes.   Go to Monster.com (et al.) and find out who and how many are hiring Nukes, and how many are hiring Crypto Techs without college degrees.   

In comparison, I usually ask the same thing of guys wanting to go SEALS.    "How do you plan to market your skills in the civilian world....assuming you come back from the desert in one piece?"   (Usually got a blank stare on that one).  Glamorous titles don't always mean much on a resume.

As far as ANY recruiter goes, this joke applies about 110% of the time:  http://www.ahajokes.com/hea26.html

Good luck on your journey.  I doubt you'll lose...regardless of the path.

Co60

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #101 on: Nov 17, 2010, 05:54 »
Remember this day.  If you end up going nuke, you'll remember the day because it's a decision that will shape your life, good or bad.  As far as what's on the test, it's mostly higher level Algebra, Basic Physics and Basic Chemistry.  Since you're still in school, I doubt you'd benefit from studying too much.

No matter what field you select, remember the things that will help you succeed in the Navy are the same things that will set you up for success when you get out.

I joined the Navy with the intention of being a radioman.  I changed to nuke at the last minute.  It was the best decision I ever made.  Good Luck!  Let us know what you decide to do.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #102 on: Nov 17, 2010, 10:54 »
Hi. I am 17, still in high school, and just signed up for the Navy. I got an 87 on my ASVAB, but scored a 238 on NUKE so I have to take the test as well. My current job is a CTR so I am not sure if I should try for NUKE or not. I have been adviced to by my recruiter and the Chief, but not sure how I will do. Can anyone tell me  what type of things are on the test? Last night was my first time even hearing the word NUKE!!!!

Do you want to do exciting technical things that no one understands?

Want stimulating schools that teach one-of-a-kind procedures on old legacy equipment?

And, do you want to do them in an air-conditioned cube farm, or out at sea in a sweaty engineroom and eating monkey-on-a-stick in exotic ports of call? ;)

Deannatroy

« Reply #103 on: Nov 17, 2010, 10:58 »
I will definitely keep you guys posted. I really do appreciate all the great advise and comments that you guys have given me because right now, you all are all I have to go by. My family is not the most supportive or even try to stay informed with what I do, and my recruiter has little information about because he is not a NUKE. So thanks everyone for your help.

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #104 on: Nov 17, 2010, 11:24 »
I will definitely keep you guys posted. I really do appreciate all the great advise and comments that you guys have given me because right now, you all are all I have to go by. My family is not the most supportive or even try to stay informed with what I do, and my recruiter has little information about because he is not a NUKE. So thanks everyone for your help.
The above link given to you would be of great help.  Read everything you can on these forums and most of your questions will be answered.  There are many here who can be very helpful.  Congratulations on your desire to serve our country, we are lucky to have you.  Now, go do some research!!
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

Deannatroy

« Reply #105 on: Nov 18, 2010, 10:48 »
The above link given to you would be of great help.  Read everything you can on these forums and most of your questions will be answered.  There are many here who can be very helpful.  Congratulations on your desire to serve our country, we are lucky to have you.  Now, go do some research!!

I am in the process of researching now. My recruiter is giving me little time to think this through because he has already scheduled for me to take the NUKE test, and continues to persuade me into believing that this is the best choice for me with no proof or reason. Also, I am unable to access the link you attempted to provide me with.

Deannatroy

« Reply #106 on: Nov 18, 2010, 11:25 »
My first recommendation is to ask your Nuke Recruiter.  He'll have the lastest information for you.

Secondly, reconsider your thoughts of "maybe my calculator is illegal but hey guys...do they check?".   Do the right thing in this field.  That simple philosophy will carry you a LONG way.  Besides, guess what happens if someone figures out DURING the exam that you're essentially cheating.   Feel free to search "cheating" and "integrity" in this forum in your spare time even if only to note the number of postings on the subject.

Finally, I don't think I ever used a graphing calculator for anything but calculus courses (outside the Navy).  A cheap Casio FX114 or whatever $20 or less scientific calculator should be fine.  Otherwise, I'm known to read more into postings here than I should, but it sounds like you have a fear of math (i.e., using a calculator as a crutch?).    The (only?) way to ease your fear of this important subject is to practice, practice, practice.   In the future, you'll likely be more graded on how you set up a problem...not how fast your fingers got to a 5 significant digit number that fails to answer the question.   It's been awhile, but you may find yourself losing only 0.5 pts on an 8 pt question for a math error, and all 8 pts if you fail to understand the concept.

The best advice I received in high school from my amazing Physics teacher:   "I don't care what YOUR answer is...I want to know how you got there!"

Welcome to the world of Engineering.

Co60

I do not have a NUKE recruiter because my recruiter is not a NUKE. How do I get in contact with one?

Deannatroy

« Reply #107 on: Nov 18, 2010, 10:39 »
Do you want to do exciting technical things that no one understands?

Want stimulating schools that teach one-of-a-kind procedures on old legacy equipment?

And, do you want to do them in an air-conditioned cube farm, or out at sea in a sweaty engineroom and eating monkey-on-a-stick in exotic ports of call? ;)

I do want change. That was the reason for joining the Navy. After researching it, I want to take the NUKE test and am looking foward to the future as a NUKE.

co60slr

« Reply #108 on: Nov 19, 2010, 11:41 »
I do not have a NUKE recruiter because my recruiter is not a NUKE. How do I get in contact with one?
You walk into your recruiter's office and ask for a name and telephone number.  Then you say, "I'll continue discussing Navy options with you once I speak with someone that can anwer my specific questions."

You DO have a Nuclear Recruiter...you just haven't asked to speak with him yet.  Right?

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #109 on: Nov 19, 2010, 12:41 »
http://www.navy.com/navy/careers/nuclear-energy/nuclear-operations.html

Plenty of links to get more info here.

Hope this helps.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Deannatroy

« Reply #110 on: Nov 19, 2010, 08:09 »
You walk into your recruiter's office and ask for a name and telephone number.  Then you say, "I'll continue discussing Navy options with you once I speak with someone that can anwer my specific questions."

You DO have a Nuclear Recruiter...you just haven't asked to speak with him yet.  Right?

I was not aware that there even were different types of recruiters. I definitely did not know that there was a NUKE recruiter because up until two days ago, I didn't know what NUKE was. I am scheduled to take my NUKE test on Tuesday, so should I ask for a NUKE recruiter before or after I take it?

co60slr

« Reply #111 on: Nov 19, 2010, 08:34 »
I was not aware that there even were different types of recruiters. I definitely did not know that there was a NUKE recruiter because up until two days ago, I didn't know what NUKE was. I am scheduled to take my NUKE test on Tuesday, so should I ask for a NUKE recruiter before or after I take it?
Before you sign the dotted line.  Make sure someone has answered all your questions...in person.

The test is simply a preemployment test.   If you pass, you can be considered for a position, which you have to formally accept.   Otherwise, there are many fine jobs in the Navy.

Again, I only offer a suggestion for you to look at what you think you may want to do AFTER the Navy.   Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with a tour in the Military...as long as you get an education or skill set out of it.   Hence, my question...what do you plan on doing after the Navy as a Crypto Tech?   Maybe just the GI Bill and college afterwards?  Nothing wrong with that either.   All questions for you to decide.

Deannatroy

« Reply #112 on: Nov 21, 2010, 08:56 »
Before you sign the dotted line.  Make sure someone has answered all your questions...in person.

The test is simply a preemployment test.   If you pass, you can be considered for a position, which you have to formally accept.   Otherwise, there are many fine jobs in the Navy.

Again, I only offer a suggestion for you to look at what you think you may want to do AFTER the Navy.   Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with a tour in the Military...as long as you get an education or skill set out of it.   Hence, my question...what do you plan on doing after the Navy as a Crypto Tech?   Maybe just the GI Bill and college afterwards?  Nothing wrong with that either.   All questions for you to decide.

I plan to just stay in the Navy for as long as I can. This is why I hope to get a job a truly enjoy because I am hopefully going to be doing it the next 30 or so years. My goal is to be financially stable by the time I get out.

Offline Rock Chalk Jayhawk

• Light User
  • Stay positive, and love your life!
« Reply #113 on: Nov 21, 2010, 09:37 »
As of November 10th (my last day at the office) there were still NO nuke tests to be given. They were still pending reissue. I suggest that Deannatroy use the phone number I sent in my PM to my relief as Nuke coordinator. He will be more than happy to supply any answers requested! Call him SOONER rather than LATER! Don't wait-be proactive!
"A shortcut's a self defeating means.  If you cannot do it clean, you'll never reach your reward. And when the day is done, what you receive is the sum of what you took out from what you put in." ~311

Deannatroy

« Reply #114 on: Nov 24, 2010, 04:34 »
I have decided to just stick with being a CTR after doing an extensive amount of research. This field in no way interest me regardless of how much it pays and if I am capable of doing it. I thank everyone who has helped me to come to this conclusion and wish you all the best. For those who are in the Navy, maybe we will bump into each other on a ship. Until then...
                ~Deanna Mooney

dapper29

« Reply #115 on: May 21, 2011, 10:47 »
Be prepared to take the NAPT anyway. I scored a 99 on my ASVAB with a Nuke score of 268 and they still want me to take it because I haven't taken a math course in over 2 years. It's completely messed up my enlistment though because somebody left a safe open at a MEPS center and NCIS has to investigate to determine whether the test was compromised or not.

Edit: I see this was the issue way back in November 2010. I think the safe was compromised a second time since then though...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 10:55 by dapper29 »

radoseal

« Reply #116 on: Feb 07, 2012, 12:17 »

Which is anti ethical to being a nuke.

Mike

The word you're looking for is "antithetical" as in antithesis.  While I agree with your point, I don't think there is anything unethical about poor grammar.

Fermi2

« Reply #117 on: Feb 07, 2012, 04:22 »
Antiethical works just as well nub.

taynuclear

« Reply #118 on: Feb 12, 2012, 09:00 »
im takeing the napt test on wed and im worried about how ill do, i got an 86 on my asvab and a 245 on my nuc line score, it seems like i have to get a combined score of my nuke and my napt of 290, and i would only need a 45 to do that, is that correct? and if so how hard will it be to get that score? ive never taken chemistry, physics, or trig, but that was because i was lazy in highschool, not uninteligent. ive been studying the basic concepts of physics and chem, how much more do i need to know and how much do i need to worry?

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #119 on: Feb 13, 2012, 04:02 »
im takeing the napt test on wed and im worried about how ill do, i got an 86 on my asvab and a 245 on my nuc line score, it seems like i have to get a combined score of my nuke and my napt of 290, and i would only need a 45 to do that, is that correct? and if so how hard will it be to get that score? ive never taken chemistry, physics, or trig, but that was because i was lazy in highschool, not uninteligent. ive been studying the basic concepts of physics and chem, how much more do i need to know and how much do i need to worry?

Heres the deal. You're gonna get yapped at for not searching. You need to do a search for yourself. This question has been answered a myriad of times, and your situation is not unique.  It will also allow you to potentially answer more questions you may have in the future.

Yes you should worry. This test will ultimately decide your future. Want to pass? Go study.

drayer54

« Reply #120 on: Feb 13, 2012, 08:23 »

u might do alright if they have no gramer porshun. My advice is to just blow away the ASVAB so you don't have to take the test....

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #121 on: Feb 13, 2012, 10:02 »
Fleet needs more A-Gang!  8)

Offline cz9mmer

• Lurker
« Reply #122 on: Jul 16, 2013, 01:42 »
Just an update on this question. I went to MEPS St. Louis yesterday and scored a 99 on the ASVAB. However, I was told that just because I went to private school I would have to take the additional test. No one told me about that before I went down to MEPS, and they wouldn't let me take it that day, even though the administrator was there and we had the time. So I'm going to have to take another day off work sometime and drive the several hours to St. Louis to take the test, in spite of an impressive ASVAB score (if I do say so myself). Forget the fact that private schools on average test better than public schools, forget that I just basically aced the ASVAB. It's basically just another thing the government does because you came from a non-government school.

Hopefully I'll be able to do as well on the advanced placement test and get a nuke slot. My recruiter told me that I probably wouldn't ship out to boot camp/basic training till March of next year so it's not like I don't have the time to study and take that test. But I'm hoping to get everything squared away early so if a slot opens before then I can go early.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #123 on: Jul 16, 2013, 02:39 »
Forget the fact that private schools on average test better than public schools, forget that I just basically aced the ASVAB. It's basically just another thing the government does because you came from a non-government school.

I would love to comment but I would have to send my post and this thread to PolySci.  ;)

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #124 on: Jul 16, 2013, 02:57 »
.....Forget the fact that private schools on average test better than public schools, forget that I just basically aced the ASVAB. It's basically just another thing the government does because you came from a non-government school....

I would love to comment but I would have to send my post and this thread to PolySci.  ;)

Not even, it's just the Navy and it's just the rules,...

better the OP get accustomed to it early and often,...

the OP can always stay home,...it's not too late,...not yet,.... [coffee]

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?