Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke Qualifying Test honeypot

Author Topic: Nuke Qualifying Test  (Read 160114 times)

tsquar3d

Nuke Qualifying Test
« on: Nov 04, 2005, 07:41 »
Hi, I'm looking to find out if you have to take any kind of other test besides the asvab to qualify for the nuke program. I saw somewhere in this forum that you have to take a nuke qualfying test after the asvab. Is this true? I took a practice asvab at a recruiter's office and scored an 81 without studying. He told that I would get into the nuke program without a problem. But he never mentioned anything about any nuke qualifying test though. Is this something I have to worry about?
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2005, 07:45 by tsquar3d »

JsonD13

Re: Nuke Qualifying Test
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2005, 08:18 »
Yes there is a nuke qualifying test if you do not score high enough on the ASVAB.  I don't know what the cutoff is for it though or what is on it, since I didn't have to take it.

shayne

« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2005, 08:22 »
I took the nuclear exam 15 years ago, but I remember it consisted mostly of math, physics, and chemistry.

visserjr

« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2005, 10:33 »
Ask your recruiter about the NFQT, Nuclear Field Qualifying Test. I took it 12 years ago. The minimum score constantly changes based on the needs of the Navy. It used to be a multiple choice test. Mostly basic Physics, math, and chemistry. Just because you score an 81 on the ASVAB doesn't guarantee you the Nuc Program. However, that's not to say a recruiter will grade your NFQT to help out his/her quotas. Bottom line is it's a much easier test now than 10-15 years ago. The Navy is having retention problems in the Nuclear field. Many people will speculate as to why. Not my field of expertise. Best of luck.

john

Medayo

« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2005, 10:35 »
Yeah... there is a qualifying test... I thought everyone had to take that test though, even though they had high ASVAB score... I took the test a couple of weeks ago. Don't worry about the test... if you got 81 without studying for the ASVAB then you can easily pass the test. I got 82 on the ASVAB and didn't study either.

I thought the test was going to be hard but it turned out to be really easy. Some of thier notations can be very difficult to understand though... Just algebra, geometry, chemistry and physics. I found that the algebra geometry and chemistry to be real easy, but I never took physics and just guessed on those questions and still passed.

Shaldyr

« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2005, 11:41 »
Yes, there is a secondary qualification test, called the Navy Advanced Placement Test (NAPT), once known as the Nuclear Field Qualification Test (NFQT).  The minimum requiring score is based on how you did on the ASVAB itself.  When you take the ASVAB, it is comprised of 10 sections, 6 of which are used for creating your Nuclear Field qualifying score (and there are two different sets of 6 sections even).  If you score over a certain benchmark then you will not need to take the NAPT.  If you're under that requirement, but over the minimum requirement to take the NAPT then they'll have you take it and your minimum qualifying score will be determined by how far below you are.  If you're below the miminum requirement to take the NAPT then they will not even offer the program to you at all.

As a rule of thumb I'd say that an ASVAB score of < 70 (not likely qualified), 70-85 (you'll need to take the NAPT), 85+ (probably won't need it).  That is only a rough estimate though as your ASVAB score only accounts for 4 of the 10 sections (2 math & 2 english).  I've seen an 88 who needed the test and a 71 who didn't.  With a 81 on the EST (practice test) I wouldn't worry.  Many of us who joined several years ago were required the take the test regardless of what we scored on the ASVAB and it isn't too difficult.

Cannon

« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2005, 10:57 »
I had a 91 ASVAB and had to take the NAPT. I only had to have like a 50 on it though. also the cutoff to take the NAPT test was 82 when i took it. below an 82 asvab and you werent qualified for the test. and i dont know of anyone who didnt have to take it. im in DEP with a couple of other nukes at the moment.

evolutionspot

Question about Nuke Test
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2006, 06:37 »
I am currently in DEP and my job is an ET in the SECF program. I made a 73 on the ASVAB test and I want to change my job to Nuke. They said that I have to take the Nuke test. I am a very ambitious person and is always looking for a challenge, and I dont think being an ET on a sub will give me so much of a challenge. Should I go and take this test? Cuz im not sure what to study. I've been brushing up on Math and Physics. I have to get 63 out of 80 questions to pass the test. Is this a good idea for me to do? Please respond.

Thankyou!!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Question about Nuke Test
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2006, 07:15 »
probably already been asked and answered in a previous post. Can you clarify your question?

evolutionspot

« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2006, 07:21 »
I want to switch my job and go into nuke. I have to take the test but im not sure if I will do good on it. I took Chemistry, Physics, and PreAlgebra in high school. Im wondering if it is a good idea to take the test?

M1Ark

« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2006, 07:35 »
Evo,

You're gonna fail! Don't take it.  All of us Navy Nukes on this forum knew we were going to pass before we took it.  Just be an ET... that's what you're destined for.

OK... Enough kidding around.  Nobody knows how you'll do on the test.  Take the test and be an ET if you score less than 63 or be a nuke if you score greater than a 63.  You stand little to lose.  Also,  you won't really lose out on your ET opportunities because if you fail out of nuke school they might make you an ET anyway.

M1Ark

« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2006, 07:39 »
Evo,

I'm sorry.  You're question struck a nerve.  I've been out of the navy for a while but you're question reminded me of the types of questions forward pukes used to ask.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2006, 09:42 »
I dont think being an ET on a sub will give me so much of a challenge....

LOLOLOLOL

evolutionspot

« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2006, 11:06 »
thats a good idea. I should try that. Im like cramming on Physics stuff. Cuz its been a while since I took it. I think im going to take the exam. Like he said, theres not much to lose.

dragadune

« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2006, 11:56 »
I have been in the navy 3 yrs and i got a 95 on my asvab when i took it with out studying. But the scores are based of what you get on the other sections. Some people that were in my a school class took the NFQT some people didnt it all depends on your scores. I still had too take the NFQT or what ever its called.

dragadune

« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2006, 12:01 »
Nuke program is not for everyone and pluss you wont know if you get ET, EM, MM till the end of boot camp and at that point they wont change you. If you have someting specific you want to do in the navy stick with that if you want to get a hard school with long hours go for the nuke program. If you want to do something a little bit easier stick with the conner job. And subs arnt going to be promised to you. You put in a sub vol but you might get sent to an air craft carrier.

taterhead

« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2006, 12:35 »
I dont think being an ET on a sub will give me so much of a challenge....

LOLOLOLOL

Wow, my thoughts exactly.

LOL

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2006, 01:36 »
evo,

i had to take the napt and it wasnt dificult at all. I was prepared for trig identities and electron orbital notations and that kinda stuff, and i received a blessing. A very simple test to me that consisted of questions like algebra 1 and 2 little geometry. the chem questions were like what does Na+ rep on the periodic table... just simple stuff. of course there were difficult questions but overall not bad. if u need any help preparing let me kno and ill give u all the advice i can, seeing that i just took it a few months ago.

Best of luck

longball4414

« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2006, 05:26 »
Yep - basic physics, chemistry, and algebra; maybe some geometry. I myself was not worried when I took the test because I only needed a 50 to pass, but to get a 63 will be difficult to achieve so you better study your ass off before you take that test.

Good luck, hope you make it

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
« Reply #19 on: Feb 12, 2006, 12:49 »
yes a 50 is a pass. and at after 3 months of no school, i got a 60 with ease.. but ive seen alot of my intelligent friends not do so well...but best of luck and keep us all updated on your experience.

Fermi2

« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2006, 08:30 »
evo,

i had to take the napt and it wasnt dificult at all. I was prepared for trig identities and electron orbital notations and that kinda stuff, and i received a blessing. A very simple test to me that consisted of questions like algebra 1 and 2 little geometry. the chem questions were like what does Na+ rep on the periodic table... just simple stuff. of course there were difficult questions but overall not bad. if u need any help preparing let me kno and ill give u all the advice i can, seeing that i just took it a few months ago.

Best of luck

Not to be considered a hard core or anything. You better learn to spell  and punctuate better if you want to have any success in the Navy Nuke Program. Don't say well this is just a message board. If you want to be even a passable nuke you take pride in all your work.

Mike

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2006, 12:04 »
I understand what you are saying, but I already can perfectly spell and punctuate. Sometimes it's just quicker for myself to type like I do, quick and improper.

Fermi2

« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2006, 12:42 »
I understand what you are saying, but I already can perfectly spell and punctuate. Sometimes it's just quicker for myself to type like I do, quick and improper.

Which is anti ethical to being a nuke.

Try doing it correctly, all the time, everytime, no matter how long it takes. That is what being a nuke is all about.

It's the same as saying, Well I know how to do a job correectly but it's quicker for myself to do it this way.

Then you end up either getting a ship mate killed, or getting everyone extra duty because quick and incorrect worked for you. That's not the way the nuclear world works so as a suggestion I'd recommend doing it correctly starting now.

One day you may end up trying to get a job with some of the people who post on this board, or you may end up working for one of the chiefs who visit here, do you really want to make the impression on them that you've made on me?

Mike

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2006, 03:14 »
True. I guess it's my first lesson learned. I appreciate what I am being told, and I will try my fullest to listen to everyword of advice you have given me. Thank you for the example, I now have a better understanding of what you are trying to say. 

Dennis

M1Ark

« Reply #24 on: Feb 12, 2006, 03:41 »

One day you may end up trying to get a job with some of the people who post on this board, or you may end up working for one of the chiefs who visit here, do you really want to make the impression on them that you've made on me?

Mike

You've made quite an impression on me, Mike.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?