Kewaunee

Above Average
24 (63.2%)
Average
7 (18.4%)
Below Average
7 (18.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Kewaunee  (Read 88738 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Kewaunee
« on: Nov 30, 2002, 07:45 »
Don't forget to vote.  Keep your comments civil.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: Kewaunee
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2002, 09:27 »
Talk About: Kewaunee

Offline Jill

• Senior HP, everybodies whippin' biach, the list goes on...
  • Light User
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2003, 08:23 »
;D   Kewaunee, now thats a fun place!  The people there were the best to work with, all the house people were very nice and went out of their way to teach you anything you wanted to know.  You don't find that at many places.  The BMOC (big man on campus, Craig Long) was really great to work for.  He even made us (the girls) sweatshirts that read "Dose Babes".  I miss all the house techs there. :(
The area was nice, I was 21 at the time and was blown away when I went to the bar and gave the bartender a dollar and he gave me 4 beers!  I knew if this outage went much longer there could be a problem!  

Offline Jill

• Senior HP, everybodies whippin' biach, the list goes on...
  • Light User
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2003, 08:27 »
;D  Oh, one more thing, and this is not meant as a slam or anything, but I remember when they brought in some local girls to help out in Dosimetry and we had to teach them how to do the job.  Westinghouse had just shown up on site and there was one girl that was still waiting for "Eddy Current" to show up!  She thought he was an actual person, Eddy Current.  I pee'd my pants! :D

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2003, 11:38 »
I worked Kewaunee's first outage in 1976 (my first outage, too) and the people were just great, in and out of the plant. Craig Long was a tech -- have the best story about him and some warm beer. Price of a draft went from 20 cents to a quarter while I was there and the owner of the bar was just about crying because he had to raise the price. Loved that place.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

kwicslvr

« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2003, 09:41 »
If any one knows Kevin Sines that works there tell him he's a bum for me ;D

Garrett

slattmandu

« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2003, 01:08 »
My personal favorite plant to work. The house techs are great to work with and for. Radiological conditions are great (low dose,no contamination problems). Hope to be there for the next outage.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2003, 05:48 »
My personal favorite plant to work. The house techs are great to work with and for. Radiological conditions are great (low dose,no contamination problems). Hope to be there for the next outage.

ditto, dittoh, dittoe.  now iffen i kin figger out how to get there sooner 'n every 17 years....
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline justme

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2004, 12:15 »
Heard that Kewaunee has been or is being purchased.  Anyone know by whom.
It is what it is!

senor mouse

« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2004, 03:23 »
Kewaunee is being purchased by Dominion Power. From what I've heard they are expecting the transaction to be approved and completed by years end. Then the NMC will be leaving, as Dominion wishes to run their facility.

allforthenukie

« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2004, 06:22 »
Heard a rumor that Numanco is taking over the RP contract there. Can anyone verify or deny this rumor?

Pochron

« Reply #11 on: Aug 31, 2004, 01:16 »
In response to the question from PB. Yes Numanco has the primary contract to supply Decon, HP staff to Kewaunee. The back up contract is through the Atlantic Group.
The staffing will be through union contract. Please call the recruiters for actual hourly wage and PD. The outage will start October 9, 2004 and is expected to run to November 8, 2004. We are looking for some good technicians as we will be working jobs that are Radiological intensive. We are replacing the Rx head, Removing and replacing the insulation from under vessel, 10 yr ISI of the lower internals and vessel, and Split Pin Replacement. We will also be doing normal outage Refueling, Valve work, and DCRs and Misc. work.
If you want some real HP/RP work sign up for our outage. This plant is a very good place to work and you will be treated not only as part of the team, but as family.

Questions or comments please feel free to e-mail Ron.Pochron@nmcco.com

Duke_Power

« Reply #12 on: Oct 09, 2004, 01:18 »
Heard a rumor today that Kewaunee's outage is gonna be held up due to lack of RP's.  I guess that Kewaunee shouldn't have laid people off 3 weeks into a 3 month SGRP.  Karma is a B#$@h.  The old saying rings true what goes around comes around.  Seems like them trying to save a dime is gonna cost them a dollar.

allforthenukie

« Reply #13 on: Oct 09, 2004, 02:34 »
Duke,
     This sounds like more rumor or perhaps wishful thinking.
     At any nuke plant, outages don't get held up due to lack of RP techs. When you are understaffed, management just uses the techs they do have on site and spreads 'em thinner and runs 'em harder.
     How many hot jobs can you cover at the same time? As many as it takes!
     Beenthere/donethat too many times.  ;)
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2004, 02:37 by allforthenukie »

Pochron

« Reply #14 on: Nov 04, 2004, 10:26 »
To all interested parties, KNPP is not extending the outage due to RP. Although this outage we have had to say we would cover work as prioritized by the OCC, not much work was turned away, only possibly delayed. The Technicians supplied by the contract companies have worked hard and are a group of competent technicians. The outage on the other hand may be extended due to some complications with equipment. There were some concerns identified this outage, and they are being addressed.

I personally would like to thank all the technicians that staffed our outage, without their dedication, willingness to work, and mental toughness, KNPP would be in a much bigger fix. Thank you, all of you.

As for Karma, the layoffs during the SGR were unfortunate, but in this day and age, with all the bean counters, it is the nature of the beast.

Best of Luck to all contract technicians working outages, because the pool is dwindling and to work an outage means, “PUT ‘UM To THE WALL AND GET ‘ER DONE”.

Ron

RemBoy

« Reply #15 on: Nov 08, 2004, 05:30 »
Hey Ron,

I hear the back-up contract is payin' techs $5.00 more an hour than the primary.
Any news on some back pay being spread around to help ease the tail-pipe soreness? :D

Pochron

« Reply #16 on: Nov 09, 2004, 02:26 »
RemBoy,

I haven't heard any complaining from any of the techs working for the 3 companies on site. If one was paying more then the other, it wouldn't be so quiet. Also the primary and secondary were brought in union. Still some work to do, things aren't moving too fast, but we will see some of the light at the end of the tunnel.

Ron

RemBoy

« Reply #17 on: Nov 11, 2004, 09:12 »
Hey Ron,
Just checking on rumor, heard a couple of w/enders (KG) are gettin' more benefits for shorter time.

Pochron

« Reply #18 on: Nov 12, 2004, 01:48 »
RemBoy,
Sounds like you have rumor control. I know of no discrepancies in pay or benefits. Contract companies have differences, so find the best benefits and pay and the plant that you would like to work and apply. For more information go to the source, KG?, and get details. Everyone should ensure that their money and benefits are what was in the contract. Sorry I can't help here.
Ron

raymcginnis

« Reply #19 on: Nov 14, 2004, 06:19 »
The best job that I ever had, as a technician!!  I am an old-timer but what memories I have of KNPP!  I remember having a end of outage brat feast under the most wonderful sunrise that I ever saw, thanks to Mt. St. Helens blowing its stack and sending it dust across Wisconsin!  I also remember when the local teachers wanted to come and look at a nuclear plant.  It was no problem to have them come onto the refuel floor with street clothes.  We only had to do a little touch up cleaning to make that happen.  Kewaunee, now that is how to run a nuclear power plant!  If you can get a job there, listen to this old-timer, do it!!!

Stix

« Reply #20 on: Dec 04, 2004, 06:29 »
Heard that Kewaunee has been or is being purchased.  Anyone know by whom.
I heard that the purchase of Kewaunee by Dominion has been shot down by the Wisconsin Public Service Comission for the time being.  I hope Kewaunee can get out from under their management company's shroud before another good plant goes down the toilet.

Pochron

« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2004, 10:43 »
Ray, Thanks for the "attaboy". We at KNPP still keep the CTMT walkways
< 100dpm/100cm2. We have a good bunch of Controlled Area Maintenance Operators (CAMOs), and they see to it if we discover contamination over the limit that it is cleaned up.
The sale to Dominion has had a minor set back, as the Wisconsin Public Service Commission has some concerns with the deal. The minor set backs are being considered by all parties involved, and some resolution should be found to benefit all.
Ron

Offline NightCrawler

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 05, 2004, 06:04 »
"A minor setback".......I never took you for a spin doctor, Ron!!! 

Pochron

« Reply #23 on: Dec 06, 2004, 03:20 »
Jerry,
If you saw the Report from the WPSC, you'd say minor set back also. No time to explain the thought process of the WPSC. All parties are working on a solution, and trying to make all parties happy. To see the full report go to the Wisconsin Public Service Commission.(http://psc.wi.gov/event/newsrel/nwsrel04/kewauneeSale.htm)
I've got more records to spin. The doctor is in!
Ron

Offline dblaies

• Very Lite User
  • I had hair when I started in this business!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 13, 2004, 08:15 »
KNPP is full of great people. Clean, low dose plant; I'd work there again anytime. But I'm still trying to pass those damn cheese curds... :D
Author of Migrant Nuclear Worker's Guide
Inventor of Zn-64 depleted Zinc additions.

allforthenukie

« Reply #25 on: Mar 11, 2005, 07:24 »
News clip from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel 

Kewaunee plant may stay shut for 2 months

Closing could overlap with Point Beach refueling

By THOMAS CONTENT
tcontent@journalsentinel.com
Posted: March 9, 2005
One of Wisconsin's three nuclear power reactors may remain shut for up to two months, returning to service just as another state reactor is expected to be shut down for repairs.

The Kewaunee nuclear power plant, which has been shut down since Feb. 20, will not be back at full power until mid-April, Wisconsin Public Service Corp. told securities regulators Wednesday.

The plant, which is owned by Green Bay-based Wisconsin Public Service and Madison-based Wisconsin Power & Light Co., needs to have a backup cooling water pump redesigned to meet a new standard set by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission for reactors to withstand tornadoes, said Dave Molzahn, Wisconsin Public Service's director of nuclear oversight.

The shutdown could overlap with the planned shutdown of Point Beach Unit 2 reactor, which will be refueled and have its vessel cover replaced. Longer-than-normal shutdowns of Point Beach this year were among the reasons cited by We Energies when it asked for a price increase last month. Unit 2 is expected to be shut down in April and return to power before the summer hits, while Point Beach Unit 1 will be shut down this fall for refueling and to have its vessel cover replaced, utility officials said.

Together, the two reactors at Point Beach and one at Kewaunee supply nearly one-fifth of the state's electricity.

The shutdown is taking place at a time when the two Wisconsin utilities that own Kewaunee are hoping for a decision by the Public Service Commission permitting them to sell the plant to Dominion Resources Inc. of Richmond, Va. That proposal has been opposed by customer groups concerned about the precedent that could be set by selling a state-regulated power plant to an out-of-state company.

allforthenukie

« Reply #26 on: Mar 18, 2005, 12:14 »

Sale of Kewaunee Nuclear Plant has been approved!

http://www.jsonline.com/bym/news/mar05/310518.asp

CheeseheadNuke

« Reply #27 on: Apr 08, 2005, 07:45 »
HR has just posted 6 openings for Nuclear Auxiliary Operator. This is a non-licensed position that will eventually lead to license class as a Reactor Operator. BTW: Our sale has been approved to Dominion and we are waiting to hear when the sale will go through.

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #28 on: Apr 17, 2005, 05:55 »
I hear that Dominion has been coming in force lately bringing biscuts with no gravy!

Shouldn't they bring up just sandbags!

::)

evil-leprachaun

« Reply #29 on: Jul 07, 2005, 11:23 »
Sold!

Now the NMC has 4 plants and in 2006 only 3 when DOM buys "The Beach"!

:P

Offline Dustball

• Moderate User
  • -40F Keeps out the RiffRaff
« Reply #30 on: Feb 17, 2006, 11:40 »
The "thanks, but no thanks" letter......  dom?
WEC to review Point Beach options, reflects ‘no displeasure’ with NMC

Feb. 9, 2006

Wisconsin Energy Corp. (WEC) will spend the year evaluating four options related to the Point Beach plant, including continued operation by NMC, hiring a third-party operator other than NMC, returning to in-house operation by Wisconsin Electric, or selling the plant.

WEC officials announced the plan to review options for Point Beach during a conference call with investment analysts Wednesday.

“We will be thorough and deliberate in carrying out this review during 2006, and we will provide you with an update when we have reached our conclusions in the fourth quarter this year,” said Gale Klappa, WEC’s President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO). We Energies, a unit of WEC, owns the Point Beach plant.

While stating that reductions in the size of the NMC fleet influenced their decision to evaluate options for Point Beach, Klappa and Rick Kuester, President and CEO of WEC unit We Generation, emphasized that NMC’s performance in operating Point Beach was not a factor in their plan.

The WEC officials also expressed their belief that decisions by other owners of plants operated by NMC did not reflect any displeasure with NMC’s performance. In fact, they noted, NMC has improved the performance of all the plants that it has operated.

NMC assumed the operation of five nuclear plants (and seven units) in 2000: Duane Arnold (single unit), Kewaunee (single unit), Monticello (single unit), Point Beach (two-unit) and Prairie Island (two-unit). In 2001, NMC assumed operation of the single-unit Palisades plant, bringing the fleet to eight nuclear units.

The fleet has been reduced in size since then, with the sale of Kewaunee in July 2005 from Wisconsin Public Service (WPS) to Dominion Resources and the sale of Duane Arnold from Alliant Energy to FPL Energy last month. Consumers Energy, the owner of the Palisades plant, also has announced its intent to sell that plant.

Referring to WPS, Alliant and Consumers Energy, Kuester told analysts that, “None of those companies . . . made those decisions based on NMC performance. I think all the owners [in NMC] have been pleased with the performance and improvements in performance they have gotten out of the units.

“There were other business reasons at work for those other owners,” Kuester continued. “I don’t want anyone to interpret that there’s displeasure with NMC performance. It’s simply that every company has to evaluate their situation, their customer needs, their portfolio and make a decision based on that.”

Klappa also said WEC has “not concluded that NMC is not a viable operator. In fact,” he added, “if you look around the country at the size of fleets, certainly there are some major nuclear consolidators, but there are other operators doing very well with the size of the fleet that NMC would have. … And, as Rick mentioned, NMC’s track record in improving the performance at every one of the plants that it’s operated has been quite positive.”

Offline AS55555

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #31 on: Feb 21, 2006, 01:13 »
Can anyone tell me who is the Rad Protecton and Chemistry Manager and anything about where he came from or background.

Thanks

allforthenukie

« Reply #32 on: Jul 19, 2006, 02:23 »
Who will be staffing the RP techs and decon help, if any, for the next refuel outage?

Offline nuke_girl

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #33 on: Jul 19, 2006, 02:28 »
i heard Bartlett has the decon/ho contract for Kewaunnee but they were only bringing in like 20 deconners..all seniors. I think Joey is staffing and Eric also..and everyone is confirming already..so id go ahead and give bartlett a call if you want to get in there :)
It is better to light one small candle..than to curse the darkness

Offline nuke_girl

• Moderate User
« Reply #34 on: Jul 19, 2006, 02:30 »
typing errors suck !! lolol that decon /hp  lolol

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
  • Stop Talking, Just Do It!!!
« Reply #35 on: Jul 19, 2006, 02:46 »
allforthenukie,

Are you on the road again?  I thought you took an in-house position at Cook....

Lorrie

Offline Lorrie Henson

• Heavy User
  • Stop Talking, Just Do It!!!
« Reply #36 on: Jul 19, 2006, 03:03 »
Nuke Girl,

I think you got it right the first time!!!  I feel like a HO at times.

LOLOLOLOL

Offline nuke_girl

• Moderate User
« Reply #37 on: Jul 19, 2006, 03:11 »
lololol..<< smiling..and congrats on your new little bundle of joy !!

allforthenukie

« Reply #38 on: Jul 20, 2006, 09:03 »
Thanks for the info nuke girl.
Yes, I'm employed as an in house RP tech at Point Beach, right down the road from Kewaunee. I wanted the info for a friend who needs a job. I'll give him the Bartlett number.
Brian

Offline nuke_girl

• Moderate User
« Reply #39 on: Jul 20, 2006, 02:20 »
no problem :) hope your friend gets on with bartlett !! maybe we will see him at millstone also..both dominion outages this season !

Offline rocknrollrick

• Moderate User
  • PAYING THE COST TO BE THE BOSS!!!!!
« Reply #40 on: Sep 11, 2006, 11:32 »
Like the area and the plant is really clean! The people in the area are very nice but the outage is falling way behind schedule. Dominion's first outage here and the house is fighting the procedure changes. It will take a couple of outages for them to get up to speed.
Early to bed, 13 hours on nights, makes you tired, wealthy and a night crawler!!!!

Offline rocknrollrick

• Moderate User
  • PAYING THE COST TO BE THE BOSS!!!!!
« Reply #41 on: Sep 17, 2006, 09:09 »
OK let's see we are now over a week behind and everthing they do here turns to crap. The first Senior tech had to leave yesterday due to the next job and the site wouldn't release him. So he lost his Bonus and travel pay after the fact he told Bartlett and the utility up front that he could only stay to the 16th. We got 5 more that got to go by the end of this week and 16 to go to Milestone. The rpm promised that he would get everyone to their commitments but I guess that doesn't count anymore >:( Then these sites wonder why that can't get tech's to return back :( Oh forgot to mention fuel is still in pot because of service water valve problem for cooling which they have known about for 2 weeks. Supposed to move fuel starting Monday for off load.  :'(
Early to bed, 13 hours on nights, makes you tired, wealthy and a night crawler!!!!

dks860

« Reply #42 on: Sep 18, 2006, 12:36 »
Ah but now the upender is broke.....no fuel movement today unless they can fix it.......usually when things get behind a couple days everyone gets frantic.  Not here.............

RADBASTARD

« Reply #43 on: Sep 21, 2006, 11:14 »
I heard it's day 21 and your 18 days behind ,is that true??
man it sonds like the 80's again?
« Last Edit: Sep 21, 2006, 11:14 by RadBastard »

dks860

« Reply #44 on: Sep 22, 2006, 07:14 »
I think we are about 7 days behind according to what I heard yesterday.

vikingfan

« Reply #45 on: Oct 02, 2006, 05:54 »
heard westinghouse packed up their stuff and left ? whats the exact circumstance of that situation any one know? heard they were suppose to start moving fuel again yesterday ? well I'm reporting in this morning so we can finnish the fuel reload and head reasembly was told we would be out by friday or saturday. hope this is true...lol

dks860

« Reply #46 on: Oct 02, 2006, 07:29 »
Westinghouse left for other commitments.  Areva has been brought in.  Refueling has not started.  They are supposed to move the head and upper internals today.  Then they have to flood up so they can start fuel movement.  This whole outage has been a series of things gone wrong.

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #47 on: Oct 02, 2006, 02:52 »
These posts sound so unlike the Kewaunee Plant that I have worked and thoroughly enjoyed.  That place was the epitome of laid back professional outage management, complete with planning and forethought.  It probably helped that they had the plant fine tuned for the operational year.  But the outages were so well run.

dks860

« Reply #48 on: Oct 02, 2006, 10:02 »
It is my understanding that the reason things aren't going so smoothly is a big change in procedures at last minute.  While we were in training, procedures were changing daily.  It's only been about a year since Dominion took over (maybe a bit longer) and their way of doing things is substantially different than what Kewaunee was used to.  Growing pains I guess.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #49 on: Oct 03, 2006, 08:56 »
it sounds like dominion shood have not only kept kewaunee's procedures intact, but made them fleetwide.  it was simplicity at it's finest, their hp procedures woodent have filled a 3" ring back binder and yet they covered everything krystle kleer.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

FatMalky

« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2007, 08:32 »
Things didn't go too well last outage at Kewaunee but I have to say, I loved it up there.

The people were very friendly, the area was great and the food and beer were outstanding!!

What more do you need?

azupka

« Reply #51 on: Sep 20, 2007, 07:36 »
What job shops are filling engineering positions are Kewaunee?  My wife is being moved to Kewaunee and I'm looking for work there.

Thanks
Gus
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2007, 07:41 by Nuclear NASCAR »

Offline hplynn

• Very Lite User
« Reply #52 on: Sep 22, 2007, 04:14 »
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2007, 05:13 by Rennhack »

Offline meyer8906

• Very Lite User
Kewaunee Bonus
« Reply #53 on: Nov 13, 2007, 09:58 »
Kewaunee Bonus
Ten dollar an hour Bonus paid for straight time for Sr. Tech
$3.00 for Early Commit
$2.00 for Arrival & completion
$2.00 for SafetySix dollar an hour Bonus paid at straight time for Jr. Tech / Deconner
$3.00 for Returnee

Six dollar an hour Bonus paid at straight time for Jr. Tech / Deconner
$2.00 for Early Commit
$1.00 for Arrival & Completion
$2.00 for Safety
1.00 for Return

Offline Eric_Bartlett

• Heavy User
  • I was liberal as a youth then I had to pay taxes..
Re: Kewaunee Bonus
« Reply #54 on: Nov 13, 2007, 02:44 »
Kewaunee Bonus
Ten dollar an hour Bonus paid for straight time for Sr. Tech
$3.00 for Early Commit
$2.00 for Arrival & completion
$2.00 for SafetySix dollar an hour Bonus paid at straight time for Jr. Tech / Deconner
$3.00 for Returnee

Six dollar an hour Bonus paid at straight time for Jr. Tech / Deconner
$2.00 for Early Commit
$1.00 for Arrival & Completion
$2.00 for Safety
1.00 for Return

Hey All - I hate to be a BuzzKill but the above bonus is not official (God know's I'd love it to be) and was not posted with Bartlett's or Kewaunee's consent.  We are trying to hammer out a bonus schedule and once that is done I, or one of the recruiters will release it - just dont want anyone to fall prey to those nasty nuclear rumors.

Eric
The opinions & views expressed by me are mine and mine alone and may not reflect those of the company.

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
Re: Kewaunee Bonus
« Reply #55 on: Nov 13, 2007, 03:05 »
Hey All - I hate to be a BuzzKill but the above bonus is not official (God know's I'd love it to be) and was not posted with Bartlett's or Kewaunee's consent.  We are trying to hammer out a bonus schedule and once that is done I, or one of the recruiters will release it - just dont want anyone to fall prey to those nasty nuclear rumors.

Eric

Thanks EB for the update and keeping everyone on the straight and narrow. I was wondering where those numbers came from :o

K to 'ya 8)
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Offline meyer8906

• Very Lite User
« Reply #56 on: Nov 20, 2007, 01:30 »
Just for your information, a Kewaunee Supervisor had asked that the Bonus Information be posted on Nukeworker.

Offline dose4dollars

• Light User
  • Cleveland Browns #1- Always a loyal fan
Re: Kewaunee - 2008 Outage
« Reply #57 on: Jan 11, 2008, 06:37 »
Cool, just got the word today - Pay and Bonus at Kewaunee.
Pay-
Sr. >8 yrs. $25.00
Sr. 18.1     $21.00
Jr. > 1 yr + NUF 80% = $16.00
Jr not meeting criteria above = $15.00
Sr. Deconners > 3 yrs = $16.00
Jr. Deconners = $13.00

Outage bonuses, starts on report date and ends on release by plant date: 
Sr. = $8.50/Hr -straight time and $12.75/Hr for Overtime
Jr's and all Deconners. = $5.00/Hr - straight time and $7.50/hr for overtime

Neat place to work too!

justatech

« Reply #58 on: Jan 12, 2008, 02:32 »
Kewaunee is a great place to work - RP group is very friendly and down to earth.
Great food in town - steak and potatoes type of town -  :P :P, reasonable room rates...................
All in all - ACES in my book.......................Ha ve fun..................wish I was there.

Jeremy

« Reply #59 on: Jan 27, 2008, 11:52 »
Pay-
Sr. >8 yrs. $25.00
Sr. 18.1     $21.00
Jr. Deconners = $13.00

Neat place to work too!

Is this legit?  I don't want to sound rude, but I'd hate to think that it is true, and be disappointed when I go there this time around..
Regardless, sounds like a great place to work, really haven't heard anything bad about it, which is saying a lot.

Offline meyer8906

• Very Lite User
« Reply #60 on: Jan 28, 2008, 10:38 »
Yes, Kewaunee is paying up to $8.50 an hour bonus. It is broken down into several categories as usual..early commitment, safety, favorable termination, returnee, etc. You can call Bartlett for the details, hopefully they'll give you the correct info. I will be there for the outage..and yes it is a great place to work. Still looking for Senior Techs, and Juniors. Staffing in early to mid march for April 1 shutdown date.

FatMalky

« Reply #61 on: Feb 18, 2008, 01:42 »
Pay-
Sr. >8 yrs. $25.00
Sr. 18.1     $21.00
Jr. Deconners = $13.00

Neat place to work too!

I was told the bonus was breaker to breaker.

You sure it's paid from report date to release date?

Offline meyer8906

• Very Lite User
« Reply #62 on: Feb 18, 2008, 12:13 »
It starts on your report date. First report date is March 3 or 10.
Mark Peroutka
RP Supervisor
920-388-8115

FatMalky

« Reply #63 on: Feb 22, 2008, 01:56 »
It starts on your report date. First report date is March 3 or 10.
Mark Peroutka
RP Supervisor
920-388-8115

Excellent, thanks Mark - that's really good to know.

Especially as I was told something different from Bartlett.

scottt66

« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2008, 01:45 »
the best of the dominion plants as far as how people treat one another period. initial training was horrible but they are getting a new trainer. best location as far as proximity to bars, stores, apartments of all of big D's plants. Cheapest cost of living too. Supervision was great considering the processes they had to work with. If they get the right trainer the new Dominion processes should be implemented quickly with ease. Hope big D doesn't change how they treat one another and supplemental personel. Overall just a great place !

Offline Ahenriksen

• Very Lite User
« Reply #65 on: Nov 16, 2010, 07:01 »
Anyone out there working at kewaunee that can give me some advice. I live in La crosse for the time being and want to start a career in operations. I want to move and start a life where ever I get a job. I have a A.A.S. majoring in electrical engineering technology. I also have experience working as a electrical tech. Iv looked at the utilities site and I don't think there hiring for that position as of now but I will still be lurking around waiting for my chance.

My questions are:

1. Do they only hire people with references from inside the plant

2. Is it unlikely they will hire some one who doesn't live in the immediate area

I would appreciate greatly any input. Thank you.  :)

drayer54

« Reply #66 on: Oct 22, 2012, 09:13 »
http://www.4-traders.com/DOMINION-RESOURCES-INC-12255/news/Dominion-Resources-Inc-Dominion-To-Close-Decommission-Kewaunee-Power-Station-15412557/

Dominion Resources, Inc. : Dominion To Close, Decommission Kewaunee Power Station10/22/2012| 08:50am US/Eastern

RICHMOND, Va., Oct. 22, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Dominion (NYSE: D) today said it plans to close and decommission its Kewaunee Power Station in Carlton, Wis., after the company was unable to find a buyer for the 556-megawatt nuclear facility. Pending a grid reliability review by the Midwest Independent Transmission System Operator (MISO), the station is expected to cease power production in the second quarter of 2013 and move to safe shutdown.

Dominion announced in April 2011 that it would seek to sell Kewaunee as part of a regular review of its portfolio of assets to determine which assets fit strategically and support its objectives to improve return on invested capital and shareholder value. The company was unable to find a buyer for the facility.

"This was an extremely difficult decision, especially in light of how well the station is running and the dedication of the employees," said Thomas F. Farrell II, Dominion chairman, president and CEO. "This decision was based purely on economics. Dominion was not able to move forward with our plan to grow our nuclear fleet in the Midwest to take advantage of economies of scale. In addition, Kewaunee's power purchase agreements are ending at a time of projected low wholesale electricity prices in the region. The combination of these factors makes it uneconomic for Kewaunee to continue operations."

Farrell said the company's top priority will be a continued focus on safety.

"We intend to take all steps necessary to ensure the protection of the public, employees and the environment during the remaining period of power generation, as the station is shut down, and throughout the decommissioning process," Farrell said. "We will be vigilant, and we plan to make sure the facility has the resources it needs."

The station will remain under the oversight of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) throughout the decommissioning process.

Following station shutdown, Dominion plans to meet its obligations to the two utilities that purchase Kewaunee's generation through market purchases until the power purchase agreements expire in December 2013.

"One thing that should be perfectly clear is that the employees of Kewaunee have been doing an outstanding job, and this decision is in no way a reflection on them," Farrell said. "I want to thank them for all they have done, and Dominion will work to make the transition as smooth as possible for them and their communities. I also want to thank Governor Walker and other elected officials for their help and support since we purchased the station back in 2005. We regret leaving the positive business environment the State of Wisconsin provides."

Dominion plans to recognize an after-tax charge of $281 million in the third quarter of 2012 related to the closing and decommissioning of the station. The one-time charge will be excluded from operating earnings.

Dominion uses operating earnings as the primary performance measurement of its earnings guidance and results for public communications with analysts and investors. Dominion also uses operating earnings internally for budgeting, for reporting to the board of directors, for the company's incentive compensation plans, and for its targeted dividend payouts and other purposes. Dominion management believes operating earnings provide a more meaningful representation of the company's fundamental earnings power.

Kewaunee's decommissioning trust is currently fully funded, and the company believes that the amounts available in the trust plus expected earnings will be sufficient to cover all decommissioning costs expected to be incurred after the station closes.

Kewaunee Power Station, located on Lake Michigan about 35 miles southeast of Green Bay, began commercial operation in 1974. It has one Westinghouse pressurized water reactor. Dominion acquired the station in July 2005. In February 2011, the NRC renewed the station's operating license for an additional 20 years, until 2033.

Farrell said Dominion still firmly believes that nuclear energy must play an important part in the nation's energy future.

"History has proven that nuclear energy is a major reason the United States enjoys one of the most reliable, least expensive and cleanest electric grids in the world," he said. "The situation Dominion faces at Kewaunee is the result of circumstances unique to the station and do not reflect the nuclear industry in general. The nation will be hard-pressed to meet its energy needs, let alone do so in a secure and affordable manner, without a robust and growing nuclear energy program."

Dominion is one of the nation's largest producers and transporters of energy, with a portfolio of approximately 27,400 megawatts of generation, 11,000 miles of natural gas transmission, gathering and storage pipeline and 6,300 miles of electric transmission lines. Dominion operates the nation's largest natural gas storage system with 947 billion cubic feet of storage capacity and serves retail energy customers in 15 states. For more information about Dominion, visit the company's website at www.dom.com.

Offline NJ

• Moderate User
« Reply #67 on: Oct 22, 2012, 09:48 »
 :-[  :-[

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?