Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu

Nuclear Pictures

NukeWorker online photo album.


Argonne National Lab (ANL)


ANL.jpg

Argonne occupies 1,500 wooded acres in DuPage County, Ill. The site is surrounded by forest preserve about 25 miles southwest of Chicago's Loop. The site also houses the U.S. Department of Energy's Chicago Operations Office.

Argonne National Laboratory is one of the U.S. Department of Energy's largest research centers. It is also the nation's first national laboratory, chartered in 1946.

Argonne is a direct descendant of the University of Chicago's Metallurgical Laboratory, part of the World War Two Manhattan Project. It was at the Met Lab where, on Dec. 2, 1942, Enrico Fermi and his band of about 50 colleagues created the world's first controlled nuclear chain reaction in a squash court at the University of Chicago. After the war, Argonne was given the mission of developing nuclear reactors for peaceful purposes. Over the years, Argonne's research expanded to include many other areas of science, engineering and technology. Argonne is not and never has been a weapons laboratory.

Today, the laboratory has about 2,900 employees, including about 1,000 scientists and engineers, of whom about 750 hold doctorate degrees. Argonne's annual operating budget of about $475 million supports upwards of 200 research projects, ranging from studies of the atomic nucleus to global climate change research. Since 1990, Argonne has worked with more than 600 companies and numerous federal agencies and other organizations.

11 files, last one added on Dec 31, 2010
Album viewed 464 times

Ashtabula


23.jpg

134 files, last one added on Jan 23, 2006
Album viewed 818 times

Associated Aircraft Tool & Manufacturing


aa_map.jpg

3550 Dixie Highway , Fairfield , Ohio

The Associate Aircraft Site, in Fairfield, Ohio fabricated uranium metal was fabricated for the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission in 1956, contaminating interior building surfaces, drains, equipment, and soils.

The former owner removed some contamination in late 1956. DOE conducted additional remediation at the property under FUSRAP in 1994 and 1995. DOE certified that, with the exception of one area where supplemental limits were applied, applicable cleanup criteria had been achieved, and the site was released for unrestricted use in 1996.

No institutional controls are in effect at the privately owned site, and DOE does not require on-site monitoring or surveillance. Legacy management activities consist of managing site records and responding to stakeholder inquiries.

5 files, last one added on Sep 10, 2009
Album viewed 226 times

Ames Lab


121736-004-84639780.jpg

Ames Laboratory is a United States Department of Energy national laboratory located in Ames, Iowa. The Laboratory conducts research into various areas of national concern, including the synthesis and study of new materials, energy resources, high-speed computer design, and environmental cleanup and restoration. It is located on the campus of Iowa State University.

2 files, last one added on Mar 22, 2009
Album viewed 199 times

B & T Metals


bt_map.jpg

425 West Town Street , Columbus , Ohio

The B and T Metals Site in Columbus, Ohio, heated and extruded uranium metal into rods for the Manhattan Engineer District in 1943, contaminating building surfaces, drains, equipment, exterior soils, and manholes in nearby streets.

The owner removed contamination from site facilities and equipment after extrusion activities ceased in 1943. DOE conducted additional remediation of contaminated areas under FUSRAP in 1996. DOE certified that applicable cleanup criteria had been achieved, and the site was released for unrestricted use in 2001.

No supplemental limits or institutional controls are in effect at the privately owned site, and DOE does not require on-site monitoring or surveillance. Legacy management activities consist of managing site records and responding to stakeholder inquiries.

2 files, last one added on Apr 30, 2006
Album viewed 145 times

Battelle Columbus


battelle_sign.jpg

57 files, last one added on Oct 02, 2016
Album viewed 586 times

Big Rock


183.jpg

The plant shut down on August 30, 1997. Fuel was transferred to the spent fuel pool by September 20, 1997. The owner submitted certification of permanent cessation of operations on June 26, 1997, and certification of permanent fuel removal on September 23, 1997. The owner submitted their decommissioning plan on February 27, 1995 which was considered to be the post-shutdown decommissioning activities report (PSDAR) and has subsequently been updated. The PSDAR public meeting was held on November 13, 1997. The owner selected the DECON option. Under the current schedule, the operating license is planned to be terminated in 2005. The owner has loaded all of the spent fuel from the pool into transportable dry storage systems at an on-site interim storage facility.

20 files, last one added on Apr 02, 2007
Album viewed 773 times

Baker Brothers


baker_map~0.jpg

2551-2555 Harleau Place , Toledo , Ohio

During the early and mid-1940s, Baker Brothers, Inc., in Toledo, Ohio, fabricated slugs from processed natural uranium metal for the Manhattan Engineer District.

In 1992, DOE designated the site and its associated vicinity property for remediation under FUSRAP. DOE remediated localized areas of residual uranium contamination on interior building surfaces and exterior soil and concrete in 1995. DOE certified that the site and the vicinity property complied with applicable cleanup criteria and standards in August 2001 and released the properties for unrestricted use.

No supplemental limits or institutional controls are in effect at the privately owned site, and DOE does not require on-site monitoring or surveillance. Legacy management activities consist of managing site records and responding to stakeholder inquiries.

2 files, last one added on Apr 30, 2006
Album viewed 158 times

Braidwood


Braidwood.jpg

The Braidwood Station is located in Will County in northeastern Illinois. It serves Chicago and northern Illinois. Braidwood's recent up rates make it the largest nuclear plant in the State. The three largest Illinois' plants, however, are nearly equal (LaSalle is only 2 net megawatts smaller than Braidwood and Byron is only 4 net megawatts less in capacity than LaSalle.)

49 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2009
Album viewed 1194 times

Byron


Byron.jpg

The Byron plant contains two light water reactors. It is located in Ogle County, Illinois.

87 files, last one added on Sep 15, 2005
Album viewed 1511 times

Clinton


clinton.jpg

The Clinton Power Station and is 5,000-acre cooling reservoir are located on a 14000-acre site near Clinton, Illinois. Clinton's final construction cost exceeded $4 billion, leading the plant to produce some of the most expensive power in the Midwest.

53 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2009
Album viewed 1196 times

Davis-Besse


DavisBesse.jpg

The Davis-Besse power plant is located in Oak Harbor, Ohio, on a site covering 954 acres. The plant, however, uses only a fraction of the site with 733 acres devoted to a National Wildlife Refuge.

128 files, last one added on Mar 24, 2015
Album viewed 1514 times

Donald C. Cook (DC Cook)


dc-cook.jpg

This plant is located in Berrion County, Michigan, on a 650-acre site.

217 files, last one added on Sep 09, 2014
Album viewed 2248 times

Dresden


Dresden.jpg

The Dresden nuclear power plant is located on a 953-acre site in Grundy County. It serves Chicago and the northern quarter of the State of Illinois. Dresden 1 was retired in 1978.

13 files, last one added on Oct 05, 2015
Album viewed 1043 times

Duane Arnold


daecnew.jpg

13 files, last one added on Sep 16, 2005
Album viewed 995 times

Elk River


elk-river~0.jpg

1 files, last one added on Sep 21, 2008
Album viewed 341 times

Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory (Fermilab)


94-0904.jpg

Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory (Fermilab), located in Batavia near Chicago, Illinois, is a U.S. Department of Energy national laboratory specializing in high-energy particle physics.

The laboratory was founded in 1967 as the National Accelerator Laboratory; it was renamed in honor of Enrico Fermi in 1974. Weston, Illinois was a community next to Batavia voted out of existence by its village board in 1966 to provide a site for Fermilab.

7 files, last one added on Mar 22, 2009
Album viewed 314 times

Fermi NPP


Fermi.jpg

Named for the first physicist to split the atom, the Enrico Fermi plant is located near Detroit. The prototype Fermi 1 unit operated at the site from 1963 to 1972 and is now mothballed.

37 files, last one added on Nov 11, 2015
Album viewed 1312 times

Fernald (FEMP)


Water Treatment Bypass Process.jpg

The site, formerly known as the Feed Materials Production Center (FMPC), is a 1050-acre facility located in a rural, residential area 18 miles northwest of Cincinnati. The facility was constructed in the early 1950s and production began in 1952 with National Lead of Ohio (NLO) as the operator.

167 files, last one added on Apr 30, 2006
Album viewed 534 times

Honeywell


Honeywell_VFR.jpg

2 files, last one added on Jun 21, 2004
Album viewed 219 times

Kansas City


76.jpg

1 files, last one added on Dec 20, 2005
Album viewed 231 times

Kewaunee


pict494.jpg

The Kewaunee nuclear plant occupies a 900-acre site in Carlton, Wisconsin. Management of the site was consolidated with the Point Beach units. Kewaunee was the fourth nuclear plant built in Wisconsin, and the 44th built in the United States.

6 files, last one added on Sep 16, 2005
Album viewed 650 times

Lacrosse


nuclear.jpg

The plant was shut down on April 30, 1987. The SAFSTOR decommissioning plan (DP) was approved August 7, 1991. The DP is considered the post-shutdown decommissioning activities report (PSDAR). The PSDAR public meeting was held on May 13,1998. Limited and gradual dismantlement is currently underway. The owner is a member of the Private Fuel Storage LLC seeking a license to build and operate an independent spent fuel storage installation on the reservation of the Skull Valley Band of Goshute Indians west of Salt Lake City, Utah. The owner has no immediate plans for an onsite independent spent fuel storage installation.

3 files, last one added on Jun 21, 2004
Album viewed 447 times

Lasalle


LaSalle.jpg

The LaSalle County dual-reactor station serves Chicago and northern Illinois.

13 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2009
Album viewed 903 times

Luckey


luck2.gif

Luckey (FUSRAP Site), Ohio

The Luckey Site is made up of approximately 16 hectares (40 acres), and is located approximately 35 kilometers (22 miles) southeast of Toledo in Luckey, Ohio. Luckey’s was owned and operated by the US Government to process magnesium. In the late 1940s, the Atomic Energy Commission, a predecessor agency to the US Department of Energy built a beryllium production facility on the site. Waste from these operations was placed in three lagoons. After the plant closed in 1959, contaminated sludge and soils were moved from the lagoons to a landfill that was later capped, graded and seeded. EM completed it's work at this site in 1997 with the transfer to the Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program (FUSRAP) at the United States Army Corps of Engineers (USACE), in accordance with the Energy and Water Development Appropriations Act of FY 1998.

2 files, last one added on Mar 22, 2009
Album viewed 188 times

Marble Hill


Marble-Hill-Indiana-Blair27jul03.jpg

More than two billion dollars were spent on a project that was only 20% complete. Now fast deteorating against the elements, this abandoned nucular power plant stands as a rusting hulk of what was to be a boom in nucular energy. Skyrocketing and ridiculous costs prohibited the completion of the project, and nearly forced Public Service Indiana into bankrupcy.

Public Service Indiana (PSI, now owned by Cinergy), proposed a nucular power generating plant in 1973 at Marble Hill, north of Louisville, Kentucky and south of Madison, Indiana overlooking the Ohio River. The cost of the power plant was estimated to be $700 million, the largest capital project in Indiana's history. After several public hearings, in September of 1977, estimated construction costs had risen to $1.4 billion.

9 files, last one added on Jun 23, 2011
Album viewed 1260 times

Monticello


monticello-mn.jpg

Monticello is located on a 2,100-acre plant site near Monticello, Minnesota. The site is divided between Sherburne and Wright counties. Cooling water is drawn from the Mississippi River.

11 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2009
Album viewed 794 times

Mound (Miamisburg Closure Project)


mound_image1.jpg

The Miamisburg Closure Project is a 305-acre, former nuclear weapons laboratory and production facility located about 15 miles southwest of Dayton, OH.

11 files, last one added on Sep 10, 2015
Album viewed 348 times

National Guard Armory


natlguard_map.jpg

The National Guard Armory, located in Chicago, Illinois, is owned by the State of Illinois. Between 1942 and 1951, the Manhattan Engineer District (MED) leased the building and used it to store and process uranium metal and as the central procurement and shipping location for the MED Metallurgical Laboratory. In 1951, MED’s successor, the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission, terminated use of the building and the property was returned to the State of Illinois.

Radiological characterizations of the Armory in 1977, 1978, and 1987 indicated that residual radioactive material contamination exceeded DOE guidelines. In 1987 and 1988, DOE removed contaminated waste from interior building surfaces and exterior catch basins and soils. DOE certified that the site complied with applicable cleanup criteria and released the property for unrestricted use in 1989.

1 files, last one added on Mar 22, 2009
Album viewed 133 times

Ohio State University



Research and Test Reactors

0 files
Album viewed 0 times

Oxford



Oxford, Ohio

0 files
Album viewed 0 times

Painesville


pain2.gif

Painesville (FUSRAP Site), Ohio

The Painesville Site is located in Painesville, Ohio, approximately 35 kilometers (22 miles) northeast of Cleveland. Painesville had an operational magnesium production facility on the grounds, operated by the Diamond Magnesium Company in the 1940s. In the 1950s the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC), a predecessor agency to the US Department of Energy, shipped radioactively contaminated scrap steel to the Painesville site for use in their magnesium production processes. Residual radiation from the scraps contaminated the soil at the site with uranium, radium and thorium. The site was part of the Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program (FUSRAP). The FUSRAP Program was transferred to the United States Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) in 1997, in accordance with the Energy and Water Development Appropriations Act for FY 1998. Cleanup responsibilities transferred at the time from DOE-EM to the USACE.

2 files, last one added on Mar 22, 2009
Album viewed 177 times

Palisades


palisades.jpg

The Palisades nuclear plant is located on a site of about 490 acres near South Haven, Michigan.

45 files, last one added on Jun 15, 2016
Album viewed 827 times

Perry


Perry.jpg

The Perry nuclear plant is located on 1,100 acres near Cleveland, Ohio, in Lake County. Built at a cost of $6 billion, Perry is one of the most expensive power plants ever build.

29 files, last one added on Jul 17, 2016
Album viewed 1282 times

Piqua


Piqua4.jpg

The Piqua Nuclear Power Facility contained a 45.5-megawatt (thermal) organically cooled and moderated reactor built and operated as a demonstration project by the Atomic Energy Commission between 1963 and 1966. The Facility was owned by the Atomic Energy Commission and operated under contract by the City of Piqua. In 1966, the Commission discontinued Facility operations and terminated the contract with the City of Piqua for operation and maintenance of the facility. Between 1967 and 1969 the Piqua Nuclear Power Facility was dismantled and decommissioned. At that time, the reactor fuel coolant and most of the radioactive materials were removed from the site. The reactor vessel and the spaces between the vessel and cavity liner were then filled with dry quartz sand.

8 files, last one added on Feb 13, 2004
Album viewed 273 times

Plum Brook


2544128227_e2db6e3aa9_m.jpg

Plum Brook Reactor Facility Decommissioning
Plum Brook Station Sandusky, Ohio

NASA's only nuclear test reactor was the Plum Brook Reactor Facility, which is affiliated with the NASA Glenn Research Center . The facility, located on land that is now Plum Brook Station in Sandusky, Ohio, operated from 1962-1973; but the history of the land stretches back to the 19 th Century when War of 1812 veterans were given the property. The federal government seized 9000 acres of this farmland in 1941 to construct a sprawling Ordnance Works facility that operated throughout World War II.

The National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics purchased the land in 1956 to build a test reactor, to support atomic aircraft studies being conducted by the Atomic Energy Commission. Although that concept was shelved before construction of the reactor was completed, President Kennedy breathed new life into the facility by supporting a national nuclear rocket program in May 1961, a month before the Plum Brook reactor was started up (also known as “taken critical”) for the first time.

During its operations, the 60-megawatt Plum Brook Reactor conducted over 70 experiments, most of which studied the effects of radiation on various materials. After the materials were irradiated in the reactor, they were transferred to the Hot Laboratory where they could be remotely examined, using manipulator arms that reached into a series of seven test cells.

The nation's nuclear rocket program was canceled during the post-Apollo budget cuts. The reactor was closed down in 1973 and was placed into a “safe dry storage” mode, during which it was monitored by NASA until initial decommissioning work began in 1998.

76 files, last one added on Jul 17, 2015
Album viewed 789 times

Point Beach


point beach.jpg

Wisconsin Electric Power's 2-unit plant is located near Two Rivers and Manitowoc. Management of the site was consolidated with the Kewaunee plant.

14 files, last one added on Mar 27, 2012
Album viewed 1196 times

Portsmouth


Portsmouth_Gaseous_Diffusion_Plant.jpg

23 files, last one added on Jul 29, 2008
Album viewed 523 times

Prairie Island


pi-site.jpg

Prairie Island is in Red Wing, Minnesota.

29 files, last one added on Oct 28, 2017
Album viewed 917 times

Purdue University



Research and Test Reactors

0 files
Album viewed 0 times

Quad Cities


QuadCities.jpg

The Quad Cities power plant is named for the nearby cities of Davenport, Rock Island, Moline, and East Moline. The power plant is not only named for these cities, but serves them, in addition to western part of Exelon's service territory.

7 files, last one added on Mar 30, 2010
Album viewed 669 times

St. Louis



St. Louis, MO

0 files
Album viewed 0 times

Site A/Plot M, Illinois


sitea_map.jpg

The Site A/Plot M Decommissioned Reactor Site is located in the Palos Forest Preserve in Cook County, Illinois, 20 miles southwest of Chicago. The site is underlain by 100 feet of glacial till overlying dolomite bedrock. About 8.9 million people live within 50 miles of the site; the population within a 5-mile radius is about 150,000.

The Site A/Plot M area is the former site of Argonne National Laboratory and its predecessor, the University of Chicago Metallurgical Laboratory, which was part of the World War II Manhattan Engineer District. In 1942, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers leased 1,025 acres of land in the Palos Forest Preserve from the Forest Preserve District of Cook County. The newly constructed laboratory used two locations in the Palos Forest Preserve: Site A, a 19-acre area that contained experimental laboratories and nuclear reactor research facilities, and Plot M, a 150-foot by 140-foot area that was used for burial of radioactive waste. Plot M is located about 1,500 feet north of Site A.

Site A was the operational facility for two of the nation's first nuclear reactors, referred to as Chicago Pile-2 and Chicago Pile-3 (CP 2 and CP 3). Besides the two reactors, an estimated 35 support buildings were constructed at the site, including laboratories, dormitories, a cafeteria, dog kennels, and a lead foundry.

3 files, last one added on Mar 22, 2009
Album viewed 204 times

University of Chicago


univchicago_map.jpg

The University of Chicago Site in Chicago, Illinois, originally consisted of seven buildings. Three of the buildings have been demolished; four buildings remain (Ryerson Physical Laboratory, Eckhart Hall, Kent Chemical Laboratory, and George Herbert Jones Chemical Laboratory). Interior surfaces, ducts, and drains in these buildings were contaminated between 1942 and 1952 by radioactive materials used in research activities by the Manhattan Engineer District and the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission to support development of the atomic bomb at Los Alamos National Laboratory, New Mexico.

The University of Chicago and a contractor conducted decontamination activities at this site in 1982 and 1983. DOE designated the site for remediation under FUSRAP in 1983 and performed remediation of the site in 1982, 1983, and 1987. DOE certified that the site conformed to applicable cleanup criteria and standards and released the property for unrestricted use.

1 files, last one added on Mar 22, 2009
Album viewed 133 times

University of Michigan


08b.jpg

Research and Test Reactor

32 files, last one added on Apr 23, 2008
Album viewed 360 times

University of Missouri/Columbia



Research and Test Reactors

0 files
Album viewed 0 times

University of Missouri/Rolla



Research and Test Reactors

0 files
Album viewed 0 times

University of Wisconsin



Research and Test Reactors

0 files
Album viewed 0 times

Weldon Spring, Missouri


weldon_map.jpg

Weldon Spring, Missouri CERCLA/RCRA Site

The Weldon Spring Site has transformed from a site once used to manufacture explosives and process uranium-ore concentrates to a publicly accessible area for recreation and education.

2 files, last one added on Mar 22, 2009
Album viewed 221 times

Wright-Patterson Air Force Base


aircraft_radiation_dbase2.jpg

7 files, last one added on Mar 24, 2008
Album viewed 608 times

Zion


zion1.jpg

Zion Units 1 and 2 were permanently shut down on February 13, 1998. The fuel was transferred to the spent fuel pool, and the owner submitted the certification of fuel transfer on March 9, 1998. A public meeting was held on June 1, 1998, to inform the public of the shutdown plans. The owner has converted the turbine-generators into synchronous condensers and have isolated the spent fuel pool within a fuel building "nuclear island." The plant has been placed in SAFSTOR, where it will remain until about 2013 when the decommissioning trust fund will be sufficient to conduct DECON activities. The owner will retain the spent fuel until it is accepted by the Department of Energy. The owner submitted the post-shutdown decommissioning activities report (PSDAR), site-specific cost estimate, and fuel management plan on February 14, 2000. A public meeting to discuss the PSDAR was held on April 26, 2000.

16 files, last one added on Feb 22, 2010
Album viewed 1231 times

 

51 albums on 1 page(s)

Last viewed - Region III (Mid West)
Piqua2.jpg
Piqua373 viewsAug 20, 2018 at 01:36 PM
Piqua1.jpg
Piqua396 viewsAug 20, 2018 at 01:36 PM
Piqua6.jpg
Piqua499 viewsAug 20, 2018 at 01:36 PM
thumb_DSCN1137.jpg
Marble Hill6172 viewsAug 20, 2018 at 12:50 PM

Last additions - Region III (Mid West)
014.JPG
Oct 28, 2017
010.JPG
Oct 28, 2017
008.JPG
Oct 28, 2017
071.JPG
Oct 28, 2017



NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2018 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?