Career Path > Different Country

USA Firms attitude to unions

(1/2) > >>

mrjohn:
I would be grateful if some of our American cousins could let me know do USA firms in the nuclear industry have a friendly attitude towards trade unions.

The reason i ask this is that i work in a British power station and it looks like we could be bought by an American firm.At the moment the unions have an excellent working relationship with management and i would hope that continues with the new owners.

jjordan:
mrjohn,
that's not an easy question. Somewhere around 80% of the US stations have union agreements. About 65% are with the IBEW. I would like to think that there is a healthy working relationship between management, and the unions. I'm currently working at a non union facility. we are attempting to organize and bargin collectively with the assistance of the IBEW. I can honestly say that management there is not the least bit interested in allowing a union to be formed at any of their facilities, and have made it clear that they are prepared to spend a massive amount of money to insure that it doesn't happen. It all depends on which company buys your station. A lot of the larger utilities have both union and non union plants, so most know how to deal with unioin issues.wether it's a pleasant relationship will depend on which one buys your station. Good Luck
JJ ;D

HydroDave63:

--- Quote from: mrjohn on Jan 27, 2007, 03:24 ---I would be grateful if some of our American cousins could let me know do USA firms in the nuclear industry have a friendly attitude towards trade unions.

The reason i ask this is that i work in a British power station and it looks like we could be bought by an American firm.At the moment the unions have an excellent working relationship with management and i would hope that continues with the new owners.

--- End quote ---

Which firm?

jjordan:

--- Quote from: HydroDave63 on Jan 27, 2007, 10:17 ---Which firm?

--- End quote ---
Yes,
Inquiring mind want to know! ;)
JJ

PS Boy would that be an awsome shared resource gig! Sign me up! ;D

mrjohn:
The name of the firm that keeps cropping up as a buyer is Bectel,i dont know much about them but would be grateful for any insight into their attitude towards unions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version