Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Civilian salary oppurtunities Post Navy Nuke?????

Author Topic: Civilian salary oppurtunities Post Navy Nuke?????  (Read 40821 times)

x20buckeyes03x

Hello.  I am currently at NNPTC in Charleston, SC.  I was just wondering yes I do have a long way to go including getting through the schools.  However, I was just wondering as a little motivation what kind of pay is out there for someone with the types of qualifications that we recieve here.  Being a Navy Nuke and having a 4 year degree.  I realize there are many variables at play but was just wondering if anyone could post up an average.  I personally have heard anywhere from 60k-110k.  Hope you guys could give a more narrow number.  Thanks so much and any tips/advice regarding nuclear life in the navy would be helpful.  God Bless!

shayne

Re: Civilian salary oppurtunities Post Navy Nuke?????
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2007, 07:07 »
There are so many variables to try to narrow it down.  Depends on your rate, what you are interested in doing, college degrees, your qualifications on the ship/sub, time in service, location in United States, hourly/overtime available, etc.

Starting salary for minimum service (6 years, basic quals) could get you a job starting at $40k/yr.
Retire, EOOW, EWS, college could start at $70k/yr.
Within a few years of starting, add $20k/yr to each of them.

Offline flamatrix99

• Moderate User
  • I really dig you Sir...
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2007, 07:42 »
Hello.  I am currently at NNPTC in Charleston, SC.  I was just wondering yes I do have a long way to go including getting through the schools.  However, I was just wondering as a little motivation what kind of pay is out there for someone with the types of qualifications that we recieve here.  Being a Navy Nuke and having a 4 year degree.  I realize there are many variables at play but was just wondering if anyone could post up an average.  I personally have heard anywhere from 60k-110k.  Hope you guys could give a more narrow number.  Thanks so much and any tips/advice regarding nuclear life in the navy would be helpful.  God Bless!
When I was a NLO (and the NLOs at my current plant) once fully qualified our BASE salary was ~$65,000/year.  If you work at a plant with a high attrition rate (as my 1st plant) then there is more overtime then you can imagine.  Usually the ex-navy guys were overtime "whores" (mean't in the most loving way) and most made $120k - $140k.  Now that is on the high end and usually means approx 1000 - 1200 hours of OVERTIME a year on top of your normal straight time. At my current plant the fully qualified NLOs make ~$100k with overtime.  Remember the hourly rate is set by the union contract.
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2007, 07:44 by flamatrix99 »

BuddyThePug

« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2007, 10:19 »
civilian salary opportunities increase dramatically for those that can use a search engine. many posters have discussed this previously.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2007, 12:51 »
salaries change as well, so this might be a topic to be discussed more often.  I think what shayne says is on target.

RADBASTARD

« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2007, 08:06 »
I remember how excited hamsamich was to get out of the navy that day.
The day he heard that the sailor was retiring from the village people and he heard there would be an opening,it was his dream come true.
HAM ,you know i'm just messing with you buddie.
I just won't tell the admiral at calvert.

kevndale

« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2007, 08:17 »
civilian salary opportunities increase dramatically for those that can use a search engine. many posters have discussed this previously.

Do you mean by using monster.com and all? Curious by the search engine statement.

Thanks,
Kevin

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2007, 08:23 »
Take a look on the job postings right here on Nukeworker and it might give you an idea of what to expect.  You can also search for salaries here and find quite a bit of discussion on the subject. 

Best of luck,
Tom
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

SuperDave

« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2007, 12:35 »
Both my friend and I got out of the Nuke navy in 95. We were instructors in Ballston spa and now we both are here in Arizona. We both got hired by the same company here and do not work in power generation. We work in semiconductor manufacturing. I actually have had 2 job offers at Nuke plants, one in nebraska and one in Vermont. Didn't take either. Don't limit yourself by thinking power generation only. That's all I thought about when I was in and I basically stumbled into this job. If you started in this business, you'd start at about 65k. I've made up to 110k, but lately I am limited to the overtime I can pick up due to being single dad. The big difference to me was the rotating shift that power plants run on vs what we do. Rotating was similar to prototype rotation, ours is a set schedule, 4 12hr shifts one week, 3 the next. same days(or nights) every week. Just be sure and qualify EWS or EOOW.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2007, 12:47 »
you could always be a contract HP, if they will let RadBastard do it, they will probably let anyone do it!  PS, I just got a call from a recruiting company offering me a job making 39 an hour until june doing training.  Only 70 a day per diem and only 40 hrs a week though, so I said no.  But I get a call like that about 3 times a month for different jobs, and about 1 out of 4 times they say the reason they called was they were looking for ex-ELTs.  interesting, half the time the jobs have nothing to do with being an ELT.  anyway, snapshot of job data for ya from one ex-navy-nuke.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?