Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Submarine Corpsman retiring
honeypot

Author Topic: Submarine Corpsman retiring  (Read 7824 times)

WA SubDoc

Submarine Corpsman retiring
« on: Feb 13, 2007, 04:08 »
I am a Submarine IDC and I am retiring in a few months.

After reading quite a few of the posts here, I have a few questions:

What type of employers would be looking for the type of skill sets that a SubIDC brings to the table. IE: dosimetry supervisor, decon, ASST Radcon officer (at a nuclear weapons facility), radcon training?

Are there many former submarine IDC's in the commercial radcon field?

I a going to get a "bit" of disability from the VA (~50%), so I can get some "vocational rehab" education taken care of, if needed.

This is the start of my questions, so thank you for your time and tolerance.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Re: Submarine Corpsman retiring
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2007, 05:00 »
You can probably start off as a Senior Rad Protection Tech. if you stick with dosimetry type stuff.  Otherwise, you could work as a junior tech and become a senior in far less than the normal 3 years - maybe 6 mos.
It's a bit of a stretch to come out of the Navy and be a supervisor of anything right away.  Things are just too different here.  We have REAL radiation and contamination here.  Dosimetry is a lot more complex (though not really more complicated if that makes any sense to you).
I know of a few corpsmen who work in Health Physics/Rad Protection, especially in dosimetry.  Of course, in the old-old days the HM did radiation surveys on the boats too.
As far as employers go, there are lots.  No need to limit yourself to nuke power plants.  There is DOE, Radiopharm companies, hospitals, dosimiter manufacturers, and some other really cool places.  I once interviewed at a place which manufactured a device that clears restenosis in heart patients who had stents in their arteries.  I forget who they were, or what the treatment was called, but the device stored a row of small Sr90Y90 sources and pumped them up through a catheter to the stent.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Fermi2

« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2007, 05:12 »
Hey if you need any advice on how to deal with the VA just PM me. I have to deal with them all the time due to broken elbows.

Mike

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2007, 08:00 »
Government and Quasi-government (TVA, USPS, Bonneville) have preferential hiring policies for disabled vets. Look closely at some of those policies. If you don't see them via Google, let me know.

And thanks for your service!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2007, 09:18 »
I think you should become a PA and work at a nuclear power plant so you can continue to "check" sub nukes for the rest of your life.  ;)

Thanks for your service.

Offline Mike_Koehler

• Heavy User
  • I love nukeworker.com!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2007, 04:17 »
You also might try shipyard rad-con and hanford if ya want to stay in Wa. Shipyard has very preferential treatment for vets.

Mike
"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented
  immigrant" is like calling a drug
  dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist."
unknown
"If you seal the borders and you stop giving federal benefits to people who are in the country illegally... many of them will simply go home."
Lou Barletta, Mayor of Hazelton, Pa.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2007, 05:06 »
A post was removed because it conflicts with the policy that all specific job postings be restricted to the job's section of the site. I know we all like to help out our shipmates, but please do so privately.

R/

Jason

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?