Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Ex Navy ELT with BS in Chemical Engineering from University of Washington honeypot

Author Topic: Ex Navy ELT with BS in Chemical Engineering from University of Washington  (Read 25590 times)

Offline mbrasi

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
I'm new to the forum and I was wondering if I could use my Chemical Engineering degree in the nuclear field.  I'm graduating in 3 mos. and I know that working in the nuclear industry will pay more than starting as a chemical engineer, but I would like to work in the nuclear field and apply my degree as well.  Is there anyone out there who would know what types of positions I could qualify for?  I was in charge of training, WCS, and was dose supervisor on an aircraft carrier. 

Fermi2

So you have no real experience.

Have you tried reading this thread before posting?

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,10123.0.html

Mike

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
you could always be a chemistry supervisor, or an engineer, I don't see a whole lot to choose from though for chemical eng. specifically.  just a guess though.  I've only worked in ops, HP and chemistry, so I don't know much about engineering side of it.  there are plenty of things you could do, but putting that chemical engineering degree to good use might be tough.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
don't mind Bzilla, he just wakes up on the wrong side of the bed everyday.   ;D  He is just implying in his usual "way" you haven't worked in commercial yet.  but your experience qualifies you for all kinds of stuff in the commercial world, you will have no trouble getting a job, but getting one you want spec. might be tough.  good luck!  jim

Offline mbrasi

• Light User
Yes, I've read that post before I posted.  I searched for Chemical Engineering but I don't have the time to read every single post if that's what you are implying.  I wish I had the leisure to spend a couple of hours reading everything. 

I understand that I have no "real" experience.  From reading your other posts it seems that I might be just as qualified or even more qualified as you were when you left the Navy.  I don't understand why you would even post if you didn't have anything helpful to say.

I've been offered jobs in the Nuclear industry that pay great but I'm trying to find out if I can use my degree in the nuclear field because I might take a job that pays less that is strictly Chemical Engineering related.  If you can help me with that it would be appreciated but if not you don't have to be an (fill in the blank) and tell me off.

Fermi2

It seems since it's your future you'd make the time to read and research, OR do you always consider yourself to be an exception? Given it appears you'd rather  take a short cut or have someone else do your work for you I know what my vote would be if I was on your interview team. I see no reason why you couldn't take the time, it's the reason that thread was posted. YOU MIGHT have used ELT as a search criteria. Navy Nuke, Commercial Opportunities. The hallmark of a good nuke is the ability to research and resourcefullness at least that's what I look for.

By the way, when I left the Navy I didn't really view myself as qualified to do anything. For the most part I haven't used too much knowledge I aquired in the navy ever since I've been in the big leagues.

Mike

M1Ark

Not much use for a Chemical Engineer.  Lots of uses for an Engineer, or an ELT.  You are probably in-line for an entry level hp, chem tech, operator or engineer.

Figure out what part of nuclear power interest you and go for that.  Your degree is valuable especially later on once you get your feet wet. 

Rad Sponge

I figure you would qualify for an entry level engineering job at a Nuclear Power Plant (college grad type jobs).

You also qualify to be a Chemistry Techician (ELT w/o the mechanical part).

The degree will help you move up the ranks but w/o any commericial experience, you are entry level any way you slice it.

Offline mbrasi

• Light User
Exactly what makes your time so much more valuable than theirs or ours?.....
Be thankful for what you have, grateful for the opportunity to earn what you have earned, suck it up and get a job,.....................

I never said my time was more valuable than yours.  I just really don't have time to do much of anything since I'm doing reseach with an 18 credit load in order to finish my degree in 3 years.  I stay up most of the night every night just to get my work done.  I still took the time to read the posts and find out if there was a similar question asked and I was just offended that B-zilla basically said that I didn't look through any posts and I don't think he really understood what I was asking.

I understand that I would be entry level, I was just wanting use my degree (and the stuff that I learned in school) maybe plant process control or something like that in a nuclear field instead of the chemical side of things. Anyways thanks for your help and I do appreciate the resource.

Offline mbrasi

• Light User
It seems since it's your future you'd make the time to read and research, OR do you always consider yourself to be an exception? Given it appears you'd rather  take a short cut or have someone else do your work for you I know what my vote would be if I was on your interview team. I see no reason why you couldn't take the time, it's the reason that thread was posted. YOU MIGHT have used ELT as a search criteria. Navy Nuke, Commercial Opportunities. The hallmark of a good nuke is the ability to research and resourcefullness at least that's what I look for.

By the way, when I left the Navy I didn't really view myself as qualified to do anything. For the most part I haven't used too much knowledge I aquired in the navy ever since I've been in the big leagues.

Mike
Yeah that's my problem, I must be lazy and take shortcuts.  That's why I work my butt off every single night and sleep 4-5 hours a day to complete my degree in 3 years.  What's your deal?  How can your make these sweeping generalizations about me by only reading my last post?  I've been to several interviews and already received a couple offers, yet you think I haven't researched.  What do you think I'm doing now????  Do you understand what I'm asking???  I'm not trying to find a job strictly for an ELT.  I was asking if I could use my Chem E degree in the nuclear field in maybe something like plant process control.  If I wanted a job based strictly on my ex-ELT experience I wouldn't have gone back to school.   

Offline mbrasi

• Light User
Not much use for a Chemical Engineer.  Lots of uses for an Engineer, or an ELT.  You are probably in-line for an entry level hp, chem tech, operator or engineer.

Figure out what part of nuclear power interest you and go for that.  Your degree is valuable especially later on once you get your feet wet. 

Thanks for the help,

I've trying to figure out what I really want to do.  I think working at the new Uranium enrichment plant would be cool.  I also have an interview with Davis-Besse next week, I might just go into the industry and get my feet wet.

Thanks again

Offline mbrasi

• Light User
I figure you would qualify for an entry level engineering job at a Nuclear Power Plant (college grad type jobs).

You also qualify to be a Chemistry Techician (ELT w/o the mechanical part).

The degree will help you move up the ranks but w/o any commericial experience, you are entry level any way you slice it.

Yeah I really wasn't expecting a non-entry level job, but I just wanted to see if there were any jobs in the nuclear field that would actually apply Chemical Engineering (maybe plant process control or something similar)  I understand that the commercial world is different than the military world but I would feel that if I went back into the nuclear side without using my degree, that I wouldn't be able to switch to a job that required a Chem E degree.  It would seem like waste, you know? 

Thanks for the post.

Offline mbrasi

• Light User
you could always be a chemistry supervisor, or an engineer, I don't see a whole lot to choose from though for chemical eng. specifically.  just a guess though.  I've only worked in ops, HP and chemistry, so I don't know much about engineering side of it.  there are plenty of things you could do, but putting that chemical engineering degree to good use might be tough.

Yeah that's what I was afraid of, but it seems as though I would be offered more by going into the nuclear field than if I went into a chemical plant.  Do you think I could qualify as an engineer without a Nuclear Engineering degree? 

Thanks for the post

Offline mbrasi

• Light User
don't mind Bzilla, he just wakes up on the wrong side of the bed everyday.   ;D  He is just implying in his usual "way" you haven't worked in commercial yet.  but your experience qualifies you for all kinds of stuff in the commercial world, you will have no trouble getting a job, but getting one you want spec. might be tough.  good luck!  jim

Thanks Jim,

I don't know what I said to set Bzilla off.  I search for Chemical Engineering because I wanted to see if I could apply what I'm learning in school in the nuclear field.  I never claimed that I wanted to start as plant manager or something crazy like that so I don't know why he went crazy.

Thanks for the post
Mike

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
he's just testy.  yeah, i think I leave the answer to that one to someone who has been an engineer.  I know what you were asking, and it would be pretty hard to find anything about that since it is so specific.  it was a good post, and hopefully somebody with that type of information will see it eventually.  I will ask my friends who know people in engineeriing though and see what they have to say. wait a few days though, and if I don't get back to you because I am scatter brained, let me know.  I was an ELT and i don't mind helping one!

Floydbob

I have completed an exhaustive search of this website, per the recommendation of BZ, to try and discover why he is so angry.  And to my surprise, I could not find a rational explanation.  I am sure the original poster performed a thorough search with out finding an adequate answer to his question.  So like a good nuke, he asked.
Secondly, please stop calling commercial nuclear power the "Big Leagues" or the "Big Time".  Granted, commercial plants are bigger and much more complex than the Navy variety but to label it as such is a little egotistical.  At the end of the day, it is still a pot of hot water used to generate electricity.  There are numerous other nuclear applications and processes that make what we do pale in comparison.  It is a job I truly enjoy doing but don't believe it takes an extraordinary person walking among mere mortals to run a plant.
Anyone with a little aptitude, the right attitude and some hard work could easily do what we do.

Fermi2

Oh I never said it did. I'm quite ordinary. What is your background by the way? I'm not angry. My point is a moderator set a reasonable standard. This young man said he made an attempt at searching the decided it wasn't worth his time. My opinion is if he takes the easy way out here he'll do it when he works for me or someone like me. Sorry if I have high standards.

Question: Are you a Shift Manager?

Mike

Offline mbrasi

• Light User
he's just testy.  yeah, i think I leave the answer to that one to someone who has been an engineer.  I know what you were asking, and it would be pretty hard to find anything about that since it is so specific.  it was a good post, and hopefully somebody with that type of information will see it eventually.  I will ask my friends who know people in engineeriing though and see what they have to say. wait a few days though, and if I don't get back to you because I am scatter brained, let me know.  I was an ELT and i don't mind helping one!
Thanks for the help,
I'm just having a hard time trying to decide.  I understand that the degree is not a great fit for the nuclear industry but I would like to see if there is any positions in the industry that I could apply my degree. 
Mike

Offline mbrasi

• Light User
Oh I never said it did. I'm quite ordinary. What is your background by the way? I'm not angry. My point is a moderator set a reasonable standard. This young man said he made an attempt at searching the decided it wasn't worth his time. My opinion is if he takes the easy way out here he'll do it when he works for me or someone like me. Sorry if I have high standards.

Question: Are you a Shift Manager?

Mike

I never said that it wasn't "worth my time."  Where are you coming up with this stuff?  I said I don't have the time to read every post.  There must be thousands of posts on this forum.  I searched through all of the relevant threads for a question that related to what I needed answered.  I didn't find anything.  I did a keyword search...same results.  I take my job seacrh very seriously and just because I said that I was new to the forum and I don't have a lot of time doesn't mean that I blew off searching.  I know you have a ton of experience in the field, which is great.  I was just hoping that you could use that experience to help answer a question instead of criticizing my "lack of research."  You might as well called me lazy by saying that I take the "easy way out."  I've never taken the easy way out in my entire life.  I've managed to hold a full-time job while completing my BS in three years to help support me and my family.  Please stop insulting me and try to help answer my question.

It would be much appreciated,

Mike

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
I'm new to the forum and I was wondering if I could use my Chemical Engineering degree in the nuclear field. 

Yes, your Chemical Engineering Degree will qualify you to become as STA. Yes, there are a few STA threads on the site. No, I have never seen the particular question regarding Chemical Engineering (and I DO take the time to read every posting under "Career Path").

One possibility is to get a job with a company that processes pure water or rad waste for a commercial nuke. Ecolochem was prevalent a few years back, but I don't know about now. I considered working that route a few years back, but it doesn't have as much potential as OPS, IMHO.

BZ did make a snap judgment on your situation: he would do the same thing if he were the one interviewing you for a job in OPS. I think that is the perspective he usually uses for these questions.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline mbrasi

• Light User
Yes, your Chemical Engineering Degree will qualify you to become as STA. Yes, there are a few STA threads on the site. No, I have never seen the particular question regarding Chemical Engineering (and I DO take the time to read every posting under "Career Path").

One possibility is to get a job with a company that processes pure water or rad waste for a commercial nuke. Ecolochem was prevalent a few years back, but I don't know about now. I considered working that route a few years back, but it doesn't have as much potential as OPS, IMHO.

BZ did make a snap judgment on your situation: he would do the same thing if he were the one interviewing you for a job in OPS. I think that is the perspective he usually uses for these questions.

I checked out Ecolochem and everything seemed great.  I was looking forward to submitting a resume, then I saw that I would be away from home for up to 275 calender days a year.  I don't think the wife would find the job too great.  I'll have to dive a little deeper into that area and see if I can possibly find something a little more stable. 

It seems as though I would get more advancement and salary going into OPS, is this why you chose OPS or maybe there is more flexibilty in where you can go in OPS?

I looked up some things about STA but I'm still not too solid on the job description.  It seems as though it's kind of a stepping stone to SRO.  I'll have to spend some more time looking it up later. 

Thanks a lot for the input, I've been actively trying to find out what direction I want to go since the start of my senior year and I'm just ready to find a path and run with it.  At first I was looking strictly at Chem E jobs, but I liked the nuclear field in the navy.  Now I'm thinking that the nuclear field has a lot to offer and it would be challenging too.  I'm glad that the commerical nuclear industry is more complex.  For some crazy reason, that's what's pulling me back into the field. 

Thanks again for your help,

Mike

Offline mbrasi

• Light User
Try some of the non-utility companies,....radwaste, waste processing, waste disposal, etc.,...
utility and power generation are not the only game in town, there are universities with test reactors, medical/pharmeceutical companies, a plethora of opportunities,....
Except for outage support as an HP (<16% of my total time since EAOS), I've made my living at non-power facilities, and I've lived well, this is still a great country,...
now that we're past the rash statement phase of our dialogue on this thread you should be able to get more constructive help,....
to paraphrase the last couple of days,...
as a Navy trained ELT you had to know that if you walk into a room full of senior watchstation qualified salts and blurt out "Hey guys I can't find the answer to what I'm looking, for and it isn't worth my time 'cause I'm too busy with quals and stuff, so would one of you tell me where to find the answer?", you just had to know what the responses were gonna be!!!!
I would say the percentages of watchstanders who replied with "get the hell out of here", "first fix your attitude, dink!", or "come over here and I'll help you out, but you gotta work on your delivery" were just about right,....
good luck mbrasi,
marssim  8)

Yeah I understand what you're saying.  I was just hoping to find someone that was in a similar position and found a way to use their Chem E degree in the nuclear field.  Not just to help them advance but to actually use what you learn.  It probally seemed like I rolled into room and just said to "serve it up on a platter for me"  but the truth is, if you read my previous post I've been working non stop trying to find something that I could really enjoy working my butt off in (if that makes any sense).  I got fat notebook filled with job stuff, and I'm glad I have it because by researching companies and positions, I was able to avoid some pretty bad jobs. 

Well it's late and I have to get up early,

thanks for the comment

Mike

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
In no particular order:
STA is a side job for SROs that qualify at many sites. I am not aware of any companies currently hiring someone only to be an STA. No extra money, but could make it easier for you to get hired.

I was considering any way to get out of a very family-unfriendly environment and still have the security of a full-time job. My temperaament is terrible for a Roadie; I didn't enjoy the time off between outages. I would have been a decent house HP Tech, but got an opportunity to go back into OPS and jumped on it. I am happy with my decision.

You will never advance beyond a certain point at a nuclear plant without getting the SRO license. Did you get out of the Navy and get a degree with the goal of reaching middle management? If you set your sights higher than that, the SRO license is a requirement. There is much competition for Department Head in the other disciplines, but that is the end of the career unless previously SRO.

275 days? When you hire on at most of these companies, you initially fill short-term holes. When you have proven yourself, you will be offered a long-term assinment on a site. You would be surprised how many of these contract processors have worked at the same site for over 10 years. Chem Nuclear and Naldecon also come to mind as companies doing this job. It looks like a decent job. (But I would still chose OPS if I had my choice of any job!)
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?