Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Put in for this job-where does it lead?
honeypot

Author Topic: Put in for this job-where does it lead?  (Read 4091 times)

Offline flash396

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Put in for this job-where does it lead?
« on: Feb 24, 2007, 01:11 »
By reading this forum, I seem to be like so many others.  I am thinking of returning to the nuclear field after separating from the Navy three years ago.  Since my departure from making clean and safe nuclear power, I have held an electro-mechanical tech positon at a small R&D facility and I am currently a support plant operator/mechanic/electrician/coffee-brewer at the particle accelerator at Argonne Nat'l Lab. I haven't yet found employment bliss in the civilian world yet and I am thinking of returning to my operations roots.  I have retained a lot of OP's concepts and theory from the Navy, just a few cobwebs to shake loose (I think).  I was a little immature back in my Navy days and did not take my civilian future too seriously, therefore, I am without a degree and did not happen to qualify EWS before my EAOS (came close though). Let me assure you though, that since entering the civilian workforce, my eyes have opened.

What I am hoping to find is an NLO position with good probablity of it leading to RO. 

The only problem is that they seem a little too excited about my application for this job and I am supposed to take their entrance exam(?) in about a week.  The HR people that I have spoken with don't know anything about this position, just that they want a Navy nuke to fill it.

https://sjobs.brassring.com/1033/ASP/TG/cim_jobdetail.asp?jobId=95499&type=search&JobReqLang=1&recordstart=1&JobSiteId=5128&JobSiteInfo=95499_5128&GQId=0

Here are my Navy cred's:

MM1/ss M-Div
6 years active duty
1 SSBN tour
QAI
Did some cross rating (TH)
Lead Cal Tech
All the normal collateral duties: training PO, gage cal, hazmat, QA slave, etc

Will someone please help me decide if I am steering myself in the right direction? I'm not sure if this is a dead-end proposition. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
Re: Put in for this job-where does it lead?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2007, 10:23 »
never hurts to talk to them.  Might be what you are looking for .  Remember interview works both ways-- they are looking at you while you are looking at them
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2007, 12:37 »
Not all that glitters is gold....some plants that are always hiring, there is a reason for it! ;)

Shop carefully for the next employer, life is short, and you want to make sure the next prospect is something you truly want AND works well for your future. Sometimes a bird in the hand IS worth 2 in the bush...

Offline flash396

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2007, 12:43 »
Thanks for the input guys.  I'm wondering what this job actually is, very vague and the job titles vary from site to site, even within the same company. I'm new to this game and don't really have a feel for its lingo.  Is anyone aware of a high turnover rate at Dresden or at Braidwood?

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2007, 12:50 »
go interview, it will be good for you.  but good for you for questioning the job.  keep that type of questioning attitude and without being a jack-ass, go to the interview keep this attitude.  but before you go, ask yourself important questions like:

do I want to be an SRO eventually
do I want to work alot of overtime
do I want to be in management eventually
do I want to live in that location
if I don't really want this particular job, do I want to use this company as a stepping-stone for a better job elsewhere
do I want to work within a union
do I need a job RIGHT NOW, or can i wait 6 mnths - 1year and find the job I really wnat
do I want to be forced to work a large amount of overtime (there is a difference at some plants between lots of OT and lots of "forced OT"
do i want to be allowed to persue my degree while on shift
$$$$$ - moving expenses, bonus, starting pay, top pay, progression expected, raises based on merit or not

pick out the most important of the above (like 3 or 4 of them) and keep them first and foremost in your mind.  you can also bring this list with you to the interview and ask them all, then rate Q+A in importance later

then when you get to the interview, ask the interviewers direct questions pertaining to the above (and add to the list above things that are important to you).  ask if you will be given a tour of the plant.  ask if you will be allowed to talk to other operators on shift before deciding to accept.  don't be afraid to ask direct pointed questions, unless you are sure you want the job.  this process will make it clear whether you are right for them and if they are right for you.  if they are taken aback by questions like the above, and you aren't sure you want to work there, than that in itself might be enough to decide whether you want to work there.  if the people interviewing you are jerks, there is a good chance you will end up working for jerks.

don't be afriad to say no or maybe, unless you are sure you want the job.  interviewing 5 or 6 different plants will eventually give you the knowledge to make an informed and better decision for yourself.  if you screw up a little bit at the first interview, it won't stay with you, so don't be afraid to be bold yet respectful.  A good organization should recognize self confidence as a positive, you don't want to go to a place that expects you to allow yourself to be manhandled.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?