Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Navy life
honeypot

Author Topic: Navy life  (Read 14291 times)

Robert Hall

Navy life
« on: Feb 24, 2007, 11:32 »
 First of all I want to thank everyone who is a part of the Armed Forces and no matter what job you are doing it can be considered a noble act. My son has recently enlisted in the Navy and scored well enough to be entered into the Nuke program. It was something that neither of us were actually looking for but after understanding the possibilities my son enlisted.
I guess one of my questions for anyone that would like to answer it is the concern that I have with the public school system in our part of the country and the lack of what I call real discipline in the class room.   My son is allways complaining that the teachers do not have control of the students and he has a hard time learning in class.  He is one of the top 5 students in his graduating class but he has not been challenged or been forced to study hard.  That gets me to my question.  This school sounds like none that my son has ever seen or heard of and my fear is that the shock will be overwhelming.  He is by no means a wimp and has competed in sports and is in JAROTC now but he has never been challenged.  He has been given the opportunity to skate thru life without giving his 100% to anything.  I guess I need some one to reply that has or is finding themself in a similar situation and give me some insite into the effect that this type of school had or is having on you.

I feel that my son has all of the attributes of becomming a great leader some day but his button has not been pushed yet, and I really hope Navy Nuke school will do it.
I hope this does not come off like I am overprotective of my son but rather just concerned and excited for him.

Thanks for looking at this post and if you have anything at all to encourage us please feel free to respond.

Offline Shawnee Man

• Moderate User
Re: Navy life
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2007, 02:18 »
There have been many smart people that have attended nuke school. But the real key is the balance between a focused study program, making sure you understand and ask questions while in class, and have a break away from things on Friday and Saturday. Then key into his study and homework on Sunday afternoons to get ready for the new week.

I saw too many people that put in 60 hours and more a week after classes. They were fried.

If your son has as much character as I gather from your brief comments, he should do fine.

PS: This is not on the same level as a summer college. This is like attending all the high levels of a bachelors degree in six months. In other wards this is not a time to romance the ladys, but be focused!
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2007, 02:20 by shawneeman »

joncashk

« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2007, 03:08 »
Hi there.  I'm currently on the USS Enterprise and I went through nuke school from 11/03-5/05 and I can tell you it's going to be a challenge for him, but it's up to him how much of a challenge it is.  The way and pace that you learn at nuke school is way different from anything I ever experienced in high school.  You go through topics at a lightning pace, and he will be putting in an average of 20 hours of extra study hours a week.  At first it probably will be a challenge, but after you get used to it, it honestly isn't that bad.  From what I've heard from my chief's and other people who went through 10+ years ago, the school has relaxed its standards quite a bit, and the attrition rate has dropped so much as to more than 80% who start the program finish it  When he gets to prototype school will probably be the real challenge.  You work at your own pace, but you do 12 hours a day while on a rotating shift.  I'm pretty sure if he was top 5 in his class he will make it through, because he has already proven he has the brainpower.  Now he just has to show he has determination.

shovelheadred

« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2007, 05:48 »
,,Mr Hall..be assured your son will not skate through NPS, Prototype or if he gets selected ELT school...He will be challenged until he figures out how to take a test..once he does he will be like the rest, and study a little and take a test...and at prototype he will have an oral test from his supervisors, as to what hehas learned...80% is knowledge 10 % commonsense, and the other 10% is his attitude...as far as being a wimp, that has no effect on his Nuclear power career..I have known 6'5", 250lb nukes, and had a 5'6" supervisor....physical has nothing to do with it..I agree with you about being proud of our young people..My daughter joined the Air Force right after 9-11, her husband was already 82nd Airborne and just returned from Afghanistan...Yea I am proud...your son will do fine.....I have been in this business since 1979, had some great experiences, met some great people, and made some darn good $$...now I work a little stay at home alot,,and draw that Mass unemployment,,,how about it Spankee, you been around longer than I have..........

Robert Hall

« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2007, 06:35 »
Thats great to hear back so soon from some of you all.  It will be interesting to follow his journey as I learn more about the Navy.  I am feeling much better now about his opportunity for growth.

Simper Fi

Robert Hall

shovelheadred

« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2007, 08:58 »
..Whoa there...Robert Hall..you didnt tell us you were "UH-RAH"....this son of yours gonna have a long row to hoe, coming from a GyRene family...my old man was a Marine...and a preacher..and he asked me if my partiality to women had changed when I joined the Navy......red

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2007, 12:12 »
Mr Hall,

I can assure you that your son will have all the challenge he can handle...but yet he will be fine...I skated through all school with no problem...tests liek the act i got scores high enough to any school i wanted....but comin ghere Ive never been more challenged...Im struggling and putting in my best effort and have a 3.0 and yet im more than satisfied. High school made me a slacker at everything and I never put in any effort, but Nuke school has changed me already and now Im not satisfied with anything less than my best effort...any questions just let me know... currently im in power school so I think my advice might be more helpful about the schooling now than many others...

Good luck to your son and yourself,

Dennis

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2007, 03:19 »
First of all I want to thank everyone who is a part of the Armed Forces and no matter what job you are doing it can be considered a noble act. My son has recently enlisted in the Navy and scored well enough to be entered into the Nuke program. It was something that neither of us were actually looking for but after understanding the possibilities my son enlisted.
I guess one of my questions for anyone that would like to answer it is the concern that I have with the public school system in our part of the country and the lack of what I call real discipline in the class room.   My son is allways complaining that the teachers do not have control of the students and he has a hard time learning in class.  He is one of the top 5 students in his graduating class but he has not been challenged or been forced to study hard.  That gets me to my question.  This school sounds like none that my son has ever seen or heard of and my fear is that the shock will be overwhelming.  He is by no means a wimp and has competed in sports and is in JAROTC now but he has never been challenged.  He has been given the opportunity to skate thru life without giving his 100% to anything.  I guess I need some one to reply that has or is finding themself in a similar situation and give me some insite into the effect that this type of school had or is having on you.

I feel that my son has all of the attributes of becomming a great leader some day but his button has not been pushed yet, and I really hope Navy Nuke school will do it.
I hope this does not come off like I am overprotective of my son but rather just concerned and excited for him.

Thanks for looking at this post and if you have anything at all to encourage us please feel free to respond.

Sounds like a typical nuke to me! And I mean that in a good way. :) Your typical nuke, in my 9 years as one, is the kind of kid that kinda just skated through HS never really applying himself. This is only because he was never really challenged and possibly thought that he was "too good" for the place. Then he may have went to college and tried to apply the same philosophy, much to his chagrin. A rude awakening occurred when he realize that he couldn't go through life like this anymore. So, he drops out or fails out and becomes a nuke... and usually a great nuke. On the other hand, he may not have gone to college and went straight into nuke. He will be faced with the same rude awakening. But once he catches on that he has to hunker down and really put his nose in the books, I am sure he will be fine. I managed to skate through HS then College (physics degree) and when I couldn't find a job, I became a nuke. Thought that I was going to skate through that too. Boy was I wrong. When I failed my very first exam my eyes were opened. After that, and about a week of 20 assigned extra hours, I knew what I had to do and finished very high in the class. As far as Navy boot camp, it really is a joke compared to say the marines or army. But thats to be expected since sailors aren't typically asked to march on a hill or storm a beach. Good luck to him and don't worry, he will be fine.

Justin
« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2007, 03:24 by JustinHEMI05 »

Robert Hall

« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2007, 10:07 »
Thanks again for the responses I am trying to relay some of the key nuggets to my son. He thinks I am a little to worried about it.  typical of a slacker.  I have told him that he must adapt and overcome from a very young age.  He also has an older brother who drove HETS in the Iraq war who he wants to show him he 's got game too.  Nothing like a little sibling rivelry.  Thanks again for the responses.

Fermi2

« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2007, 12:29 »
All he needs to do is remember:

1: It doesn't matter what he already knows. The Navy Nuclear Program doesn't care.

2: It doesn't matter how he learned or was taught something. The Navy Nuclear Program will teach it their way.

3: Past is Past. Best way to succeed as a nuke is to plan for the future and work your plan. The best nukes are those who were able to adapt and in many cases think "This too shall pass".

4: It's all about attitude and personal motivation. Have a good attitude, and stay motivated and he'll be ok.

Mike

neitzezc

« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2007, 08:04 »
almost all of it depends on 2 things:

how well can your son manage time?

how well can your son take test?

if your son is a naturally good testtaker, who probably will be like me and spend <100 hours total after class studying.  if he is only fair he'll have to spend more time for some of the test, but not so much for others (matc classes, physics classes etc were really easy).  if he is good at memorizing specific quotes hes golden

managing time is important too.  lunch hour is a waste of time. i spent mine grabbing a quick lunch (they handed out brown paper bag lunches) and finishing my homework from the first half of the days classes.  i stayed directly afer class and finished the rest of my homework at the end of the day.  if i felt i needed to study some more, i normally did it via helping friends do their homework.

My understanding is that theyve changed the coursework a little though.  its no longer writing all of your notes its following a power point and filling in a few blank slots (which is bad, i know i would fall asleep right away).  theyve also taken out a lot of the "useless" information from my understanding too.

mostly he needs to relax though.  enjoy Charleton (tell him to say HI to the girls at the Southern Belle for me :P).  nothing will make you do worse on the tests then constantly worrying about them

oh and as far as the other schools go?  the pace on those is so rediculously slow its hard to actually fail.  it happens, but i have no idea how :P

Robert Hall

« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2007, 09:35 »
Nettzezc,

The first thing my son ask when I read this to him was what is the Southern Belle? LOL

As far as test taking My son Matt thinks he tests very well.  He always thinks he will do worse than he ends up doing.

I could not get him to study for any of the tests like the ASBAB or the Nuke test but he did well enough to get in.  He did not get real high scores but he did not even study.  That is the only thing that bothers me is the lack of good study habits.

I think the thing that will help him out is that he is very competitive.  He does not like to be beat and he will do what ever it takes to beat "the other guy".  

Thanks for the comments and advice keep it comming

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2007, 10:30 »
All he needs to do is remember:

1: It doesn't matter what he already knows. The Navy Nuclear Program doesn't care.

2: It doesn't matter how he learned or was taught something. The Navy Nuclear Program will teach it their way.

3: Past is Past. Best way to succeed as a nuke is to plan for the future and work your plan. The best nukes are those who were able to adapt and in many cases think "This too shall pass".

4: It's all about attitude and personal motivation. Have a good attitude, and stay motivated and he'll be ok.

Mike

Mike is absolutely right. Look at some of my old posts. Trust me, this program is extremely humbling to all but the most extreme people. Your son will learn discipline. Your son SHOULD do fine if he puts the effort in.

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #13 on: Mar 20, 2007, 11:00 »
I agree 100% with neitzezc about the power points...Many times in class I might find my thoughts wandering of to non related school topics...The good thing though is the instructors notice it immediately and call me to answer a question. But still I think Id rather write the notes myself.

znowman

« Reply #14 on: Mar 26, 2007, 09:16 »
Quick Question..

I'm assuming that we will be able to have a computer in A school, and aboard a carrier.  This is what my recruiter told me at least.  Would it be wise to get a laptop or a desktop? I doubt we can use the laptop in 'A' school, and I doubt there is enough space aboard a carrier for a desktop.. However I just wanted to make sure, before I shell out a fair amount of money for a new laptop.

Charles U Farley

« Reply #15 on: Mar 26, 2007, 09:40 »
Your recruiter is full of s**t.  The material is classified to some degree or another.  NOFORN, CONFIDENTIAL, NNPI.  If you dare think about putting any of it on a personal, portable, electronic device of anysort, stand by.

What else did your recruiter tell you?  We'll just dispell anymore BS right here and now.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #16 on: Mar 26, 2007, 09:56 »
Quick Question..

I'm assuming that we will be able to have a computer in A school, and aboard a carrier.  This is what my recruiter told me at least.  Would it be wise to get a laptop or a desktop? I doubt we can use the laptop in 'A' school, and I doubt there is enough space aboard a carrier for a desktop.. However I just wanted to make sure, before I shell out a fair amount of money for a new laptop.

haha.. heehee... oh boy that made me chuckle :)  Heres the thing about the rickover center (where you study) - you cant bring ANY ANY ANY electronics ( not even a cell phone) Into the building. You may NOT take anything out of the building except your mail. the only reason you'd get a computer in this place is for personal enjoyment. And I suggest getting whatever is cheapest, but a laptop IS nice to have...

znowman

« Reply #17 on: Mar 26, 2007, 09:59 »
Lol, I kinda figured that I couldn't use it at school because of the clearance issues.

My main question is for personal use, will having a laptop be a lot nicer and more convenient than a desktop?

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #18 on: Mar 26, 2007, 10:04 »
Lol, I kinda figured that I couldn't use it at school because of the clearance issues.

My main question is for personal use, will having a laptop be a lot nicer and more convenient than a desktop?

It wont matter. You are stuck in a room the size of a large closet anyway, so desktop, laptop, doesnt really matter. I chose to get a laptop so I could tune my car's engine management, but otherwise I'd have gotten a PC (cheaper, more powerful, last longer).

Im not planning on taking my 1200$ laptop out on deployments so it can get stolen. I should also point out, your computer time shuold be the last thing on your mind. Do well in class and get good evals instead of playing a dumb video game for 4 hours after school every day.

znowman

« Reply #19 on: Mar 26, 2007, 10:19 »
Hmm ok. 

I'm not really worried about my computer time, its a secondary or tertiary thing for me to do.  I'd rather be outside playing tennis than a video game.

Its just really handy to have one.  On deployment, is it pretty easy for someone to steal stuff?

kreliav

« Reply #20 on: Mar 26, 2007, 10:21 »
If having a computer on board is impractical or not advisable, then do carriers have some kind of public access computer lab somewhere on board so sailors can at least check e-mail and browse the internet during off-duty hours? I believe it would be some sort of human rights violation to make us do without this, and if the answer is no, then I would see little incentive not to just go ahead and volunteer for subs.

Charles U Farley

« Reply #21 on: Mar 27, 2007, 06:05 »
I believe it would be some sort of human rights violation to make us do without this

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, and unlimited internet access for all the noobz do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

These are warships, not cranival cruises.  Your free time underway is occupied by maintenance, drills, qualifications, then and only then, this "off duty" time.  Underway, you are always on duty. 

Yes, a laptop would be nice to have.  Thievery on a sub isn't unheard of, but whoa be the sailor who tries to steal something and get away with it.  The one time someone had something come up missing, it was found 6 hours later and the offender was dealt with immediately.  Carriers, I have no data. 
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2007, 05:33 by Charles U Farley »

Rad Sponge

« Reply #22 on: Mar 27, 2007, 06:48 »
I believe it would be some sort of human rights violation to make us do without this, and if the answer is no, then I would see little incentive not to just go ahead and volunteer for subs.

Ok my man, it is time to calibrate your definition of "human rights violation".

Pol Pot: Human Rights Violation
Darfur: Human Rights Violation
Third Reich: Human Rights Violation
Trail of Tears: Human Rights Violation
Slavery: Human Rights Violation
Bataan Death March: Human Rights Violation
Islamic Fascism: Human Rights Violation
Sexual Slave Trade: Human Rights Violation
Milosevich: Human Rights Violation
Siberian Gulags/Stalin: Human Rights Violation

Not being able to play online WoW or use myspace while underway chasing bad guys, conducting maritime operations, littoral spooking, protecting the assets of our country, protecting the assets of our allies and generally being a silent bad-ass in a great big blue sea:

NOT A GD-MF-ing human rights violation.

Please do not volunteer subs until you re-examine your view of the world around you.

BartKDR123

« Reply #23 on: Mar 27, 2007, 07:50 »
Hey,

I am about to join the Navy and I qualified for the Nuke program but I have a few questions about it.  Such as what are the shifts like or working hours as well as the working area or conditions aboard an aircraft carrier?  I was alos wondering about my grades,  in high school i maintained a 3.8 with ease and without studying as far as college goes I found the classes easy and I did not put forth much effort.  In that being said my grades in college reflect that lack of effort and is that a problem to have a sub-par GPA going into Nuke school or do they eve really look at that?  Any responses, comments, or even suggestion are greatly appreciated and thanks in advanced.

-Bart-

Rad Sponge

« Reply #24 on: Mar 27, 2007, 08:32 »
Thank you for thinking about the service and welcome.

Search all the thread under "getting in".

You are bound to find everything you ever wanted to know about life aboard a carrier as a nuke.

You are bound to find all types of threads about school.

Have a blast.

Once you have exhausted your search, if you still have any specifics, feel free to ask openly or PM us.

R/ JMK

znowman

« Reply #25 on: Mar 27, 2007, 08:38 »
Thank you for the info!

EDIT:  Its just me but how exactly is denying people the right to use a computer or internet a human rights violation?!  20 years ago they probably wouldn't even have computers onboard, you would probably rely on snail mail.  (not speaking on personal experience, just a fair assumption I think)
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2007, 08:42 by znowman »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #26 on: Mar 27, 2007, 08:46 »
If having a computer on board is impractical or not advisable, then do carriers have some kind of public access computer lab somewhere on board so sailors can at least check e-mail and browse the internet during off-duty hours? I believe it would be some sort of human rights violation to make us do without this, and if the answer is no, then I would see little incentive not to just go ahead and volunteer for subs.

The whole nuclear life and pipeline are going to interfere with your pursuits. The conventional ratings, such as conventional ET (meter cal shop, repair shop), EM (rewind shop ,maintenance) and MM (operating HVAC equipment) have a lot more free time where you can take college courses online,personal development,etc. Sub life is very busy as well, as mentioned in the other posts. There are plenty of other rating jobs on the carrier that have a lot more time with less hassle.

kreliav

« Reply #27 on: Mar 27, 2007, 08:36 »
Not being able to play online WoW or use myspace while underway chasing bad guys, conducting maritime operations, littoral spooking, protecting the assets of our country, protecting the assets of our allies and generally being a silent bad-ass in a great big blue sea:

NOT A GD-MF-ing human rights violation.

Please do not volunteer subs until you re-examine your view of the world around you.

I'm getting a bit of a kick out of this. But it sounds like you're not. So let me assure you that the 'human rights violation' quip was tongue-in-cheek sarcasm. If you take yourself so seriously that a ridiculous quip like that warrants an immediate, vehement correction, then I would humbly suggest that you might consider reexamining your view of the world around you.

By the way, I understand that you have to do work as a nuke in the Navy. ZOMG! Is this true?! Also, do I have to do my own laundry? Roughly how many coffee shops and ice cream parlors are on board? I was planning on playing World of Warcraft at least four or five hours a day, so if I can't bring my computer stereo system with me, I'll just have to contact Amnesty International.

In all seriousness though, are there public access computer labs on board carriers? Does anyone know? I've read that libraries are on board. I've read that classes are offered on board. Am I to understand that sailors taking those classes are typing up their papers with typewriters?

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #28 on: Mar 27, 2007, 10:04 »
I'm getting a bit of a kick out of this. But it sounds like you're not. So let me assure you that the 'human rights violation' quip was tongue-in-cheek sarcasm. If you take yourself so seriously that a ridiculous quip like that warrants an immediate, vehement correction, then I would humbly suggest that you might consider reexamining your view of the world around you.

By the way, I understand that you have to do work as a nuke in the Navy. ZOMG! Is this true?! Also, do I have to do my own laundry? Roughly how many coffee shops and ice cream parlors are on board? I was planning on playing World of Warcraft at least four or five hours a day, so if I can't bring my computer stereo system with me, I'll just have to contact Amnesty International.

In all seriousness though, are there public access computer labs on board carriers? Does anyone know? I've read that libraries are on board. I've read that classes are offered on board. Am I to understand that sailors taking those classes are typing up their papers with typewriters?

Kreliav,

Just a suggestion, use the smileys if you intend to evoke sarcasm and to help avoid an unnecessary flame war as you've experienced so far.  You'll learn a ton from the wise folks here who are unafraid to help anyone as you've already seen, however I don't think you need to do any further practice on your "people tweaking" skills, OK?  Thanks for your service to our country.

Everyone else, points have been made and they don't need to made anymore, OK?  Thanks in advance to everyone. 
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

jdaniel

« Reply #29 on: Mar 28, 2007, 12:21 »
They won't care / it won't matter.  The ONLY grades and test scores the Navy cares about are Navy tests and classes.  Just remember - when you sign the papers, they own you.  The only thing you have to negotiate with (you) just became theirs, so make your deal and get it in writing up front... If you want to go into electronics AND go to nuke school, make them put it in a contract.  Something they don't emphisis is that if you do fail out / don't make it through Nuke school and prototype (which happens to more folks than do make it), they still own you and you get to be whatever else you went to school for (mechanic, electrician, electronics tech) without the nuclear part instead, for the duration of your tour.  Oh, and nuke school is a bit tricky.  Imagine 3 years of college crammed into 6 months.  We went from 2 + 2 to trig & calc in 3 weeks.  Then it started getting hard....  I didn't sleep on Tuesdays or Thursdays for the duration, and I aced the NFQT.

Anyway, it isn't a cake walk, but is definately interesting.  My dad told me that the Navy Recruiter was the lyingest SOB that I would ever meet...  He was right.  In spite of that, while I was in I visited 14 countries, made 5 major cruises (North Atlantic, 2 to the Med, & 2 Caribbean), and when my tour was over, I got out and quadrupled my salary.  Looking back (I got out in 1987), it was definately worth it.

Good Luck!

« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2007, 06:53 by Nuclear NASCAR »

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #30 on: Mar 28, 2007, 08:36 »

My info is dated (I spent much of my time on AD-41 typing procedures using PeachText on a Z-108) but based on what I saw and have heard: computers on board are for the work of the ship / department / division. Using the computers to type assignments for class would be allowed, on a not to interfere basis with the demands of the mission.

Of course, with the explosion of e-mail they may have made additional computers available. Perhaps someone with more recent info can reply.

AND
Thanks for your service!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?