Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Navy life  

Author Topic: Navy life  (Read 14303 times)

znowman

Re: Navy life
« Reply #25 on: Mar 27, 2007, 08:38 »
Thank you for the info!

EDIT:  Its just me but how exactly is denying people the right to use a computer or internet a human rights violation?!  20 years ago they probably wouldn't even have computers onboard, you would probably rely on snail mail.  (not speaking on personal experience, just a fair assumption I think)
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2007, 08:42 by znowman »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #26 on: Mar 27, 2007, 08:46 »
If having a computer on board is impractical or not advisable, then do carriers have some kind of public access computer lab somewhere on board so sailors can at least check e-mail and browse the internet during off-duty hours? I believe it would be some sort of human rights violation to make us do without this, and if the answer is no, then I would see little incentive not to just go ahead and volunteer for subs.

The whole nuclear life and pipeline are going to interfere with your pursuits. The conventional ratings, such as conventional ET (meter cal shop, repair shop), EM (rewind shop ,maintenance) and MM (operating HVAC equipment) have a lot more free time where you can take college courses online,personal development,etc. Sub life is very busy as well, as mentioned in the other posts. There are plenty of other rating jobs on the carrier that have a lot more time with less hassle.

kreliav

« Reply #27 on: Mar 27, 2007, 08:36 »
Not being able to play online WoW or use myspace while underway chasing bad guys, conducting maritime operations, littoral spooking, protecting the assets of our country, protecting the assets of our allies and generally being a silent bad-ass in a great big blue sea:

NOT A GD-MF-ing human rights violation.

Please do not volunteer subs until you re-examine your view of the world around you.

I'm getting a bit of a kick out of this. But it sounds like you're not. So let me assure you that the 'human rights violation' quip was tongue-in-cheek sarcasm. If you take yourself so seriously that a ridiculous quip like that warrants an immediate, vehement correction, then I would humbly suggest that you might consider reexamining your view of the world around you.

By the way, I understand that you have to do work as a nuke in the Navy. ZOMG! Is this true?! Also, do I have to do my own laundry? Roughly how many coffee shops and ice cream parlors are on board? I was planning on playing World of Warcraft at least four or five hours a day, so if I can't bring my computer stereo system with me, I'll just have to contact Amnesty International.

In all seriousness though, are there public access computer labs on board carriers? Does anyone know? I've read that libraries are on board. I've read that classes are offered on board. Am I to understand that sailors taking those classes are typing up their papers with typewriters?

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #28 on: Mar 27, 2007, 10:04 »
I'm getting a bit of a kick out of this. But it sounds like you're not. So let me assure you that the 'human rights violation' quip was tongue-in-cheek sarcasm. If you take yourself so seriously that a ridiculous quip like that warrants an immediate, vehement correction, then I would humbly suggest that you might consider reexamining your view of the world around you.

By the way, I understand that you have to do work as a nuke in the Navy. ZOMG! Is this true?! Also, do I have to do my own laundry? Roughly how many coffee shops and ice cream parlors are on board? I was planning on playing World of Warcraft at least four or five hours a day, so if I can't bring my computer stereo system with me, I'll just have to contact Amnesty International.

In all seriousness though, are there public access computer labs on board carriers? Does anyone know? I've read that libraries are on board. I've read that classes are offered on board. Am I to understand that sailors taking those classes are typing up their papers with typewriters?

Kreliav,

Just a suggestion, use the smileys if you intend to evoke sarcasm and to help avoid an unnecessary flame war as you've experienced so far.  You'll learn a ton from the wise folks here who are unafraid to help anyone as you've already seen, however I don't think you need to do any further practice on your "people tweaking" skills, OK?  Thanks for your service to our country.

Everyone else, points have been made and they don't need to made anymore, OK?  Thanks in advance to everyone. 
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

jdaniel

« Reply #29 on: Mar 28, 2007, 12:21 »
They won't care / it won't matter.  The ONLY grades and test scores the Navy cares about are Navy tests and classes.  Just remember - when you sign the papers, they own you.  The only thing you have to negotiate with (you) just became theirs, so make your deal and get it in writing up front... If you want to go into electronics AND go to nuke school, make them put it in a contract.  Something they don't emphisis is that if you do fail out / don't make it through Nuke school and prototype (which happens to more folks than do make it), they still own you and you get to be whatever else you went to school for (mechanic, electrician, electronics tech) without the nuclear part instead, for the duration of your tour.  Oh, and nuke school is a bit tricky.  Imagine 3 years of college crammed into 6 months.  We went from 2 + 2 to trig & calc in 3 weeks.  Then it started getting hard....  I didn't sleep on Tuesdays or Thursdays for the duration, and I aced the NFQT.

Anyway, it isn't a cake walk, but is definately interesting.  My dad told me that the Navy Recruiter was the lyingest SOB that I would ever meet...  He was right.  In spite of that, while I was in I visited 14 countries, made 5 major cruises (North Atlantic, 2 to the Med, & 2 Caribbean), and when my tour was over, I got out and quadrupled my salary.  Looking back (I got out in 1987), it was definately worth it.

Good Luck!

« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2007, 06:53 by Nuclear NASCAR »

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #30 on: Mar 28, 2007, 08:36 »

My info is dated (I spent much of my time on AD-41 typing procedures using PeachText on a Z-108) but based on what I saw and have heard: computers on board are for the work of the ship / department / division. Using the computers to type assignments for class would be allowed, on a not to interfere basis with the demands of the mission.

Of course, with the explosion of e-mail they may have made additional computers available. Perhaps someone with more recent info can reply.

AND
Thanks for your service!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?