Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Graduating NPS in 4 weeks!
honeypot

Author Topic: Graduating NPS in 4 weeks!  (Read 6232 times)

Cycoticpenguin

Graduating NPS in 4 weeks!
« on: Feb 25, 2007, 11:26 »
MROG.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 07:30 by Charlie Murphy »

Offline flash396

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: GRADUATING POWER SCHOOL IN 4 WEEKS!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2007, 12:02 »
Boy, GPA's have come up at NPS. 

Granted, it's been a while since I was at prototype (1999), but generally, good evals were saved for the fleet sailors.  Meaning, even the best students got only marginal evals by fleet standards. The easiest way to become an officer is either STA-21 or getting picked-up for the academy.  Didn't seem like either one was very difficult, 'specially if you're willing to go submarines.  We had a quite a few go these routes, the only requirement seemed to be a go Navy attitude.  They picked up guys at E-4 as much as E-5.

JustinHEMI05

Re: GRADUATING POWER SCHOOL IN 4 WEEKS!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2007, 03:47 »
I know you are excited and I am happy for you. I don't think there is any relation to SPU vs non spu as far as numbers picked up. Also, GPA is important for SPU, but so is watch standing. When you get to prototype, if you want to stand out and become SPU, you have to be good at standing watch and turning a wrench.

Justin

Offline Longhornfan

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Graduating NPS in 4 weeks!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2007, 10:09 »
While my experience was admittedly a very long time ago...

I did not have the best grades in my class or even my section at prototype...and I wasn't the first to qualify....I was about middle of the road.  The reason I got picked up for staff was really very simple to me...I showed a bit of common sense...and I didn't freak out on watch when things started going to hell in a handbasket.

I am sure that things are different now but I would bet not too different.

As for officer programs....there seems to be a lot more available now than there used to be...if it is really what you are interested in I say go for it....and good luck.

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2007, 12:33 »
Get some time in the real Navy first son.

Mike

Rad Sponge

« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2007, 09:25 »
BZ is telling you what I told you.

Get some Sea Time b/c you might understand that the answers are within your command.  Not the Forums.

Sea Time tempers the restlessness (wasted motion of life) and allows time for thought on the more important issues.

He may even be telling you that:  Children are meant to be seen and not heard.  Hard to say with BZ.  He says things is such a way to be meant many different ways.  You have to read between the lines.

Patiences young nuke in training.

My advice would be NOT TO respond to things like that.  But, hey I made the same mistakes too.  How do you think I got wise.  I tried to not repeat my past mistakes again.

I was gung ho as hell to become a nuke officer until I went to sea and saw how they were treated.

I got out because I injured my back, but before I decided to get out I had an STA-21 interview and it was not to become a nuke officer. I could not pass the PRT because of my back, but I aced my interviews and figured out through the process that non-nuke officers smile more than nuke officers.

Sirveri

« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2007, 11:45 »
I thought prototype sucked. Stay away from Charleston, that's probably the best advice I can give you.

Have to stay there 12 hours a day while the entire staff is busy fixing the damned MTS and you can't make any progress and just fall further and further behind the curve. There is a reason they've got more medical outs than power school has. NPS was all disciplinary BS, but when you get to proto is where the pain actually starts (you get to meet all the SB's who just re-enlisted for the money and a shore tour).

But I suppose it's a good transition to the great fun of sea time.

Go subs, experience cranking. It's fun, you'll like it nub. Dumb nub... lift up your arm, I've got a present for you.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?