Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu MM2 exam

Author Topic: MM2 exam  (Read 21522 times)

Cycoticpenguin

MM2 exam
« on: Feb 25, 2007, 11:57 »
Yeah, I take Advancement exam in a couple weeks. I need some advice to pass this test! :)

If i miss it now, I can take it again in nov dec range(? not sure when).

Is it even feasible for a 1 year mm2? I had a 3.5 eval at least :)    Stupid Star reenlistments.... :(

Id like to have some kind of foresight as what to see on this exam, any help is VERY much appreciated.

Offline flash396

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: MM2 exam
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2007, 12:12 »
You gotta remember that time-in-rate, last eval, PNA (passed not advanced) points, and awards-medals (don't remember if they stopped using award points or not) as well as your test score go into your total score to decide if you're advanced.  Your total score has to be in the top whatever percent (% being advanced) to make it.  I don't remember anyone making E-5 until the end of prototype.  Don't sweat it, you have much bigger fish to fry right now.  If you're at the end of power school you should know enough to pass the test and at least have some points socked-away for the next one.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2007, 11:40 »
Perhaps you wonder what is on the exam? Everything you should have learned working and training in the field. The FN books have much test fodder that is validly testable.

(BTW, last rating exam I took they didn't have separate Nuke tests. But this is my understanding that if you are going to study, spend time on the previous required materials as well!)

And thanks for your service!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2007, 12:34 »
I was a one year 2 month MM2. It depends on how well you do on your exam.

Mike

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2007, 01:07 »
You can see whats on the exam. go to the navy nko website and look for the pubs and bibs for the exam cycle. It tells you exactly what to read. Then go read those and you have all the answers.

Justin

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2007, 02:53 »
Rolltide-  are you talking about our A school books?

No, the actual Fireman Rate Training Manual. While you didn't have to complete the FN course for E-3, you are presumed to have that knowledge. I found quite a few questions over the years that were actually answered in the FN course. That was advice I finally took from Dad, who retired from the USNR as ENCM. He said he improved his Chief scores more by doing the FN course than by doing EN1&C again.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

joshdawopp

« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2007, 03:51 »
Its not really that feasable to make 2nd at your 1 year point.  in fact its not even common to have made 2nd by your 2 year point for an MM (ET's are a different story they will make rate faster).   Unless you get injured and stay on limdu forever and receive non-observe evals back to back to back (hopefully that doesn't happen to you)...you should make 2nd after about a year on your first sea duty.  All of my buddies that didnt star re-enlist and didn't get an EP made 2nd just before their 3 yr. point.  If you can get an EP out of prototype you might be able to make rate 1 cycle early.  In my opinion I would say that getting an EP weighs more heavily than anything else in advancing.

Charles U Farley

« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2007, 05:14 »
You need to talk to your LPO or Chief in person.  Obviously, there is a communication breakdown wherever you are.  Most of these advancement questions should be covered in you midterm counseling.  If you don't know what that is, then you definately need to talk to your chief or LPO.

M1Ark

« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2007, 06:17 »
I made MM2 at my one year point.  I had 4.0 evals and my buddy had a 3.8 eval. We calculated that he would have to nearly ace it to advance with a 3.8 eval (78/80).  We also calculated that it was impossible to advance with a 3.6 eval at the one year point.

I was working nightshift as a student at prototype and I crammed the test from midnight to 0800 with 4 other guy's and took the test at 0900.  We all advanced on that test.  I'm not sure if the exam is the same today as back in the day.  We studied the MM 3 & 2 manual.  Each one of the 5 of us studied a 2 major chapters for 3 hours and then taught the chapters to the rest covering what we each thought was the highpoints of the chapters.

Good luck!

MM1
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2007, 07:34 by M1Ark »

Fermi2

« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2007, 06:54 »
Don't blame the STAR Reenlistments, after all they have actually passed a nuclear course and qualified something besides barracks Rover. As M1Ark, myself and others proved you can do it in about 1 year if you apply yourself. I read the FN Manual, MM 3 and2, MM 1 and C and the Principles Of Naval Engineering. I made it while an Outhull Student at Prototype. I made MM1 on my first exam cycle too at about my 4 year point.

Stop blaming the system and apply yourself. You might like the results.

Mike

M1Ark

« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2007, 07:35 »
Why are you still in power school at your 1 year point?

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2007, 08:32 »
I'm not RT but, I did stay at a holiday inn express last night.....(bad j/k)

haha i still laughed :)

OK get this darn FN book! :) any other advice ? Any online sources for this?

Rad Sponge

« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2007, 09:19 »
haha i still laughed :)

OK get this darn FN book! :) any other advice ? Any online sources for this?

Every single rate training manual can be found online at the cnet.navy.mil website in the advancement center. You can view them online or print them out.

Use your nko logon.

If you don't have one, you are dink.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2007, 05:35 »
Every single rate training manual can be found online at the cnet.navy.mil website in the advancement center. You can view them online or print them out.

Use your nko logon.

If you don't have one, you are dink.

I AINT NO DINK ;)

yeah I spoke with my chief again today, and asked about the rating manuals specifically this time. He said they were online. Anyway, thanks for the reply! Im SIQ for 2 days (fri, saturday) so I can put several hours in to study (test is next weds). I should be ahead of the game at least :)

JsonD13

« Reply #14 on: Feb 27, 2007, 07:43 »
-A good idea would be to check out the bibliography, you can find this at CNET.  There are questions regarding surface plants, sub plants (you have been taught an old sub plant of which there are only two operating, at prototype), and a lot of other stuff which you will not have a clue about (QA comes to mind).  Best bet would be do what your Chief says, dont expect to get it, and if you do, be surprised.

A few other thoughts to your comments:
-Your next opportunity to take the exam will be in september. 
-You have about as much "control" over what your eval says now as you will in prototype
-You call NNPS highschool, and compare it to how it used to be.  I am not an old salt by any means, but how do you have a clue of what it used to be?

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #15 on: Feb 27, 2007, 11:00 »
1)   -A good idea would be to check out the bibliography, you can find this at CNET.  There are questions regarding surface plants, sub plants (you have been taught an old sub plant of which there are only two operating, at prototype), and a lot of other stuff which you will not have a clue about (QA comes to mind).  Best bet would be do what your Chief says, dont expect to get it, and if you do, be surprised.

A few other thoughts to your comments:
2)-Your next opportunity to take the exam will be in september. 
3) -You have about as much "control" over what your eval says now as you will in prototype
4)-You call NNPS highschool, and compare it to how it used to be.  I am not an old salt by any means, but how do you have a clue of what it used to be?

1) I have stated several times, Im not looking to get mm2, Im merely looking to get PNA points for september
2) September will give me even more time to study, pending I should be well past qualified at prototype
3) Our evals in school are based 100% off our grades/leadersihp positions. Only class leader, and people with 3.7+ get anything above 3.0 evals.   is protoype the same way, or is it based off performance/leadership/military requirements?
4) I will call it rickover high for several reasons. 1) a LOT of people still dont know they are in the military, 2) the amount of grabassing that goes around is disgusting. Proffesionalism here is at a very low level 3) I actually speak with all my instructors more then most students, so I have gotten a good feel of what NNPTC used to be like (cheaters were GONE, nowadays most get 2nd chances; Field days EVERY FRIDAY, not once every 2 months; Pounding chalk all day vs using a computer mouse; military requirements much higher/strict. I was put in the wrong decade! lol)

I hear half the test is BMR, and the other half is what our inrate is going to be. Is this test the same for conventional MM's? Or is it nuke specific?

Thanks everyone

Samabby

« Reply #16 on: Feb 28, 2007, 01:04 »
" I AINT NO DINK Wink "

You are sooooo DINK that you don't even ..... ;)

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #17 on: Feb 28, 2007, 02:29 »
" I AINT NO DINK Wink "

X2 You will be dink from now until you are qualified senior in rate on you boat and you have a warfare device (at least on subs)... get used to it. :)

Justin

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #18 on: Feb 28, 2007, 04:03 »
" I AINT NO DINK Wink "

haha in due time! :)

Rad Sponge

« Reply #19 on: Feb 28, 2007, 07:30 »
You're dink.

Good luck Wednesday.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #20 on: Feb 28, 2007, 09:51 »
You're dink.

Good luck Wednesday.

haha thanks :)

Fermi2

« Reply #21 on: Mar 01, 2007, 02:18 »
DAM!!!!,....across all boards, threads and topics you are admirably consistent mike,.......not that there's anything wrong with that!

Thank you :) I just think Non Quals should be more worried about qualifying than to give opinions about things they know nothing about! plus personal responsibility is HUGE with me.

For instance the comment about making MM2 at prototype vice nuke School is totally inane. You might look at it this way, I made it at roughly the one year point AFTER getting out of power School while it was still a legitimate school, AND while doing 12s and 16s at Prototype. I didn't have 5 months of butt time to study for the MM Exam.

Mike

Mike

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #22 on: Mar 01, 2007, 08:49 »

Thank you :) I just think Non Quals should be more worried about qualifying than to give opinions about things they know nothing about! plus personal responsibility is HUGE with me.

For instance the comment about making MM2 at prototype vice nuke School is totally inane. You might look at it this way, I made it at roughly the one year point AFTER getting out of power School while it was still a legitimate school, AND while doing 12s and 16s at Prototype. I didn't have 5 months of butt time to study for the MM Exam.

Mike

Mike

How am I supposed to study for my MM2 exam, when im a fireman at boot camp...  Im SIQ in my room for two days (surgery tommorow), so I can study for several hours. Figured people would give me commendation for even caring :)

To each thier own I suppose.

Honeycomb- we have a FA in my class who got caught cheating. stories are true!  I hear this is largely due to the change of command from Adm   Bowman to ADM Donald. I've been told by my chief in A-school that ADM Bowman cared more about the job then the people, whereas ADM Donald is the complete opposite?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #23 on: Mar 01, 2007, 09:22 »
How am I supposed to study for my MM2 exam, 

ummmm, maybe less time spent here posting your innermost feelings about how things used to be (we actually LIVED them) and more time studying for the job and huge responsibilities that we hired you to do...

Figured people would give me commendation for even caring :)

And perhaps that is the root cause...ya can't be the hero, until you accomplish mighty things. The posters that have been the most blunt and direct in replies...guess what, they HAVE accomplished those mighty things. A wise young person might want to exercise the humility and wisdom to listen.

No one is going to "give you commendation", give you praise, buy you drinks at the Legion Hall, etc. for eating for free and soaking up a training billet in the Nuke pipeline, which is your current status. When you are on your ship, providing the return on our investment, getting some salt on your boots, and  senior qual'd training others, THEN we'll be glad to read what you have to say.

Fermi2

« Reply #24 on: Mar 01, 2007, 10:31 »
Thank you Dave!

Like I said get qualified SOMETHING. It won't get you praise but at least you'll have some credibility!

Mike

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #25 on: Mar 02, 2007, 12:14 »
Hydrodave63 - cute how you cut off the "in boot camp as a Fireman". Glad you saw the whole picture. What do YOU do when you are boot camp for 7 months? It SUCKS.

Rest of it -

Harsh words.

I think you guys are really misconstruing why I'm here.

You say "get qualified".  Why do you think I'm here asking questions. Asking people who HAVE qualified, who HAVE taken the MM2 exam, who HAVE gone through prototype and powerschool.

Im asking for advice, not for sarcasm.

I'm going to RE - ask I suppose -

Does anyone know of good places to get information for the MM2 exam I have coming up? I procured an MM3/MM2 book today, and I plan on surfing NKO all day tommorow, and any other good information I can get will be much appreciated.

thank you!

-jordan

Rad Sponge

« Reply #26 on: Mar 02, 2007, 07:34 »
Hydrodave63 - cute how you cut off the "in boot camp as a Fireman". Glad you saw the whole picture. What do YOU do when you are boot camp for 7 months? It SUCKS.

Rest of it -

Harsh words.

I think you guys are really misconstruing why I'm here.

You say "get qualified".  Why do you think I'm here asking questions. Asking people who HAVE qualified, who HAVE taken the MM2 exam, who HAVE gone through prototype and powerschool.

Im asking for advice, not for sarcasm.

I'm going to RE - ask I suppose -

Does anyone know of good places to get information for the MM2 exam I have coming up? I procured an MM3/MM2 book today, and I plan on surfing NKO all day tommorow, and any other good information I can get will be much appreciated.

thank you!

-jordan

This discussion has completely steered off course.

Cyco: Your question has been answered.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?