Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Need to know more about NLO / South Texas Project honeypot

Author Topic: Need to know more about NLO / South Texas Project  (Read 15415 times)

exA4Wem

Hey guys, I am now retarded (oops, I mean retired) Navy and got a bit of a quandry here.  Without going into too much detail, I have an opportunity to interview with STP for an NLO position.  My problem is I have just been made an attractive offer for a supervisory position with another company (not power generation) and must let them know yes or no by the end of next week (8 March).  My interview with STP is not until the following week.  The company that made the offer is within 45 miles of STP, so location really isn't a consideration.  Both jobs are 12 hour rotating shiftwork.  Starting pay with company is higher than STP starting, but within 2 years STP is higher.  What I really would appreciate is some more info, especially from some STP folks, about the facility.  What is the norm for career progression coming in as an NLO?  What is the working atmosphere like?  Will I spend the next 2-3 years buying senior guys sodas and being called "nub"?  Once on shift, what is a routine shift like?  I appreciate any info you guys can share with me.  I basically have to decide if I am going to turn down a job offer based on the possibility of getting another.  Convince me guys!
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2007, 07:00 by exA4Wem »

Rad Sponge

Re: Need to know more about NLO / South Texas Project
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2007, 07:15 »
Try PMing      kwicslvr about STP.

He works in chemistry, but could most likely give you some insight.

Thanks for your service.

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Chemistry Technician CCNPP
  • Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2007, 12:38 »
Just because you accept doenst mean its written in blood.  Accept plan B and hope for plan A, at worst you still got a job out of the deal.

Career progression and the other stuff I cannot comment on based on experience being a newbie to the commercial world.  In fact I am not even working yet, still waiting.

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2007, 02:43 »
Most utilities, once you get on shift you'll be treated well. You might get called a nub every now an then just for a laugh. Both utilities I've worked for the new operators were treated well, they were accepted on shift and within days were just one of the "guys". You'll find Operators are Operates everywhere. In fact within my first day at my new plant I was engaged in a BS session that was not much different from my old plant. It's a great life. My only big regret when I changed utilities was I said something that was misconstrued and I hurt a LOT of peoples feelings. Given I had to work with these people I wasn't too pleased with myself. After working with me I think they found I was just another guy, a bit more outspoken than most but not malicious or arrogant by any means.

Not sure how much convincing you need but you will be treated very well.

Mike

exA4Wem

« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2007, 04:33 »
Thanks for the info folks, your really making my decision that much harder.  ;D  I am heading down to the area to compare living arrangments between Victoria and Lake Jackson this weekend to get more info.  Thanks again.

M1Ark

« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2007, 07:46 »
Accept the supervisory job and stil interview for the STP job.  One aspect you should consider is the culture shock of working in the non-nuclear world.  You have had the privilige of working with elite minds the past 20 years.  That is an often overlooked benefit of being in the canoe club.  Operations dept in the nuclear world is fun and rewarding and is missing the navy bs.  Also, the non-nuclear world will always try to trivialize your navy nuke experience.  Sort of like the way we trivialize coners, engineers, target pukes, etc.  Your 20 years is valuable experience and an nlo position is an excellent extension of your military service.

Your worst day in commercial nuclear power will be better than most of your best days in the navy for several reasons:

1.  You go home everynight
2.  You don't pull duty
3.  You get paid time and double time for overtime plus paid meals
4.  In MOST cases the top performers are promoted and not the lifer 20 year pukes or the college graduate who received his commision yesterday.
5.  You are able to become the plant manager without being a ring-knocker

The list goes on...

An NLO position is an excellent choice with lots of options for you down the road.

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2007, 09:15 »
As a recently retired Chief who just started as an NLO for DUKE let me say that so far I am so stoked by my new job that I am not sure that I will not feel guilty about taking my pay checks!!!!  I have yet to see anything that would make me regret in any way I choose to turn down non-power jobs to do this.  The future is bright for those who are willing to put forth effort and I think in the medium term pay will haveto go up because everywhere they are hurting for people due to pending retirements! 
One other consideration not mentioned so far is job security, given the need for operators and the basic dynamics for power in this country I think you can see there is huge job security in this feild for operators as for other civilian careers .....

Good Luck
Rob
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2007, 11:42 »
within my first day at my new plant I was engaged in a BS session

Really?  :o :o :o

As the other ex-Navy guys who have chosen to go OPS have said, it is a great route. I realize it isn't the only route, but I am sure glad I took a position in commercial nuclear power. And my Navy experience is most valuable in OPS.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

exA4Wem

« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2007, 11:54 »
I actually drove out there this weekend to look around.  Middle of nowhere.  Nearest non-rural place to live is 50 miles away.  Not too sure about doing 12 hour shifts with 2 hour commute on top of that.  Maybe I missed something, like the bunkhouse like they had in Idaho  ;D.  Thanks for your replies, still not sure tho due to nearby living situation.

exA4Wem

« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2007, 03:44 »
Well, I'm going for it!  Any advice?  Supposed to do 5 hours of testing followed by 2 interviews.  Anyone have any insight into that?  Thanks for your help.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2007, 05:26 »
The best advice I can give is to search this site using POSS and NLO as criteria.  You'll probably find a few hours worth of info just with that. 

Best of luck with the tests & interviews.  There are many times I wish I'd gone into Ops, just because I like to know how stuff works.

Peace,
Tom
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2007, 01:40 »
Good luck! You can get some study info at this link (from this site):

http://www.nukeworker.com/study/POSS.shtml

Your interview will almost certainly not be related to the exam sections. On the exam (I presume EEI POSS) you need to work as fast as possible (they are designed to not finish) on each section involving math.

On the interview you will be asked about previous experiences that you have had. They don't want to know if you already know how to operate their plant (though they will appreciate the fact that you have previously operated small scale systems). Most relevant will be when they (I am assuming 3 people together) ask you about things like:

1) Tell us a time when you made a mistake. How did you react when you realized it was a mistake.
2) Have you ever bought a product with some assembly required? How do you approach the project? What if the directions are missing?
3) If you are given an order to operate equipment that is damaged, how will you react?
4) What are your two greatest strengths? How do you use them?
5) What are your two greatest weaknesses? What is your action plan to correct them?

You have been involved with many boards over the years. You know they will attempt to take you out of your comfort zone to see what lies beneath.

Final advice on the interview: the interviewers should be funnier that the interviewee

Advice on the area: you will have more people within 10 miles than you had for many of your days at sea, and unlike the Navy you get to choose which ones of your neighbors you see on any given day.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

M1Ark

« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2007, 02:02 »
Well, I'm going for it!  Any advice?  Supposed to do 5 hours of testing followed by 2 interviews.  Anyone have any insight into that?  Thanks for your help.

Don't close the door on your other job offer.  The POSS test is not a cake walk even for a nuke.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2007, 04:23 »
Karma to you.

Good luck on the test.

I remember taking the technician version of the test and for about 58 seconds I forgot how to do simple fractions, arithmetic, and other seemingly base computations.

At 59 seconds I had an epiphany and all my third grade learnings emerged and I passed the test.

Moral: You will be nervous, you might brain blurr, breathe, continue.

Do well.

exA4Wem

« Reply #14 on: Mar 14, 2007, 06:00 »
Well, finished up the testing and interviews.  I think it went well, but you never really know until you get the call.  Hoping for the best.

Fermi2

« Reply #15 on: Mar 14, 2007, 08:25 »
Karma to you.

Good luck on the test.

I remember taking the technician version of the test and for about 58 seconds I forgot how to do simple fractions, arithmetic, and other seemingly base computations.

At 59 seconds I had an epiphany and all my third grade learnings emerged and I passed the test.

Moral: You will be nervous, you might brain blurr, breathe, continue.

Do well.

That is probably one of the funniest and at the same time poignant things I've ever seen posted here.

Mike

exA4Wem

« Reply #16 on: Mar 15, 2007, 12:49 »
Woo Hoo! Got the call this morning and got the job!  Thanks everyone for your help, I think I made a really good choice here.  I'm very excited about this and can't wait to get started.  Thanks again everyone!

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #17 on: Mar 15, 2007, 12:58 »
Congratulations! I am sure you realize that this is an incredible opportunity. Make the most of it.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #18 on: Mar 15, 2007, 03:26 »
Congratulations! I am sure you realize that this is an incredible opportunity. Make the most of it.

Congrats.

Have fun. Be safe.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?