Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Did you know?  

Author Topic: Did you know?  (Read 47767 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Did you know?
« on: Mar 04, 2007, 02:29 »
Famed French scientist, Marie Curie, died of radiation poisoning. The books she used to take notes in during her experiments are available to the public, but you have to sign a discharge before you can have access to them. Basically, you agree not to sue the French National Archives if you suffer adverse effects because of the radiation. The books are actually kept in a container lined with lead, hidden in the vaults of the National Archive Building. Their access is limited to scientists and researchers.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: Did you know?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2007, 02:42 »
World War II made Einstein sign a 1939 letter to President Roosevelt, warning him that the Germans could create an atomic weapon. This led FDR to set up the Manhattan Project, an effort to secretly develop an atomic bomb. Though Einstein's formula E = mc2 was key to the project, Einstein was considered a security risk and was not involved.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2007, 02:55 »
Nucleomituphobia is the unreasonable fear of nuclear weapons.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2007, 06:18 »
The human head weighs eight pounds.

It also represents 9% of an adults total surface area (skin) and 19% of a childs.   :)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2007, 12:25 »
The Japanese military did not consider the three aircraft approaching Hiroshima a significant threat. Anti-aircraft guns were not fired and fighters remained in their hangers as they believed that these were probably weather planes and not worth the expediture of waning resources.

ageoldtech

« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2007, 09:28 »
We flew a B-29 over Hiroshima at the same time everyday for a month and dropped no ordinance. The Japanese were used to seeing it and did not run for cover, then BOOM!

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2007, 12:45 »
The last Confederate survivor of the War of Northern Oppression died on 3-16-1958.....

he was 112 years old!   :o

Thanx Melrose, this is the kind of response I had hoped for, I had not intended to spark any debates. I had hoped for responses like;

Turkey Points cooling canals are a nesting ground for the American Crocodile.
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2007, 12:46 by Marlin »

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2007, 03:49 »
The names of the three monkeys are Mizaru (see no evil), Kikazaru (hear no evil), and Iwazaru (speak no evil).

Isaac Asimov is the only author to have written a book in all 10 Dewey-decimal categories.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

ageoldtech

« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2007, 10:05 »
The first Sub
William Bourne, a British mathematician, drew plans for a submarine in 1578. But it was only in 1620 that Cornelius van Drebbel, a Dutch inventor, managed to build a submarine. He wrapped a wooden rowboat tightly in waterproofed leather and had air tubes with floats to the surface to provide oxygen. Of course, there were no engines yet, so the oars went through the hull at leather gaskets. He took the first trip with 12 oarsmen in the Thames River - staying submerged for 3 hours.

toz

« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2007, 07:18 »
Five Jell-O flavors that flopped: celery, coffee, cola, apple, and chocolate.

There are coffee flavored PEZ.

Apples, not caffeine, are more efficient at waking you up in the morning.

metermaid

« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2007, 09:52 »
The bacterium Deinococcus radiodurens, which has been found growing on the fuel rods of nuclear reactors, is a famous example of an extremophile that can tolerate high levels of radiation.  Some believe that it thrives on radiation.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2007, 06:16 »
1/4 to 1/3 of the static on your television is from background radiation.

http://www.turnoffyourtv.com/commentary/static.html

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #12 on: Mar 11, 2007, 06:32 »
Did you know, if the palm of your hand is bigger than your face, you will get cancer.

<Punch>  Gotcha!  I bet a few of you checked :)

Offline darkmatter

• Heavy Metal Poster Child
  • Heavy User
  • you don't know the power of the dark side.
« Reply #13 on: Oct 12, 2009, 09:10 »
The Peter Principle is a special case of a ubiquitous observation: anything that works will be used in progressively more challenging applications until it fails. This is "The Generalized Peter Principle." It was observed by Dr. William R. Corcoran in his work on Corrective Action Programs at nuclear power plants.
"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Klown"

Darkmatters website is no more, nada, gonzo, 
http://darkmatter.nukeworker.net.istemp.com  this will get you there, but I can't update it anymore. Maybe nukeworker will host personal sites eventully

Chimera

« Reply #14 on: Oct 13, 2009, 02:54 »
   ...what is the origin of the phrase "intuitively obvious to the most casual observer"...

I don't know what the actual origin may be but the first time I ever heard it was at prototype in early 1970.  It was given as the function of the "off" position on the Low Pressure Cutout Switch.  Needless to say, it was not considered to be the correct answer.

Offline Adam Grundleger

• Moderate User
« Reply #15 on: Oct 21, 2009, 02:35 »
Regarding coffee:

It has a clinically observed antidepressive effect, not solely due to caffeine

The prized Kona and Jamaican Blue Mountain coffees have less caffeine than other types

Darker roasts have less caffeine than lighter roasts

You don't need an espresso roast to make espresso

The term espresso refers to the expression of the coffee under pressure and is not a reference to speed

The best espresso is expressed by hot water at 9 bar or about 132 psi at 190-200 F

Offline HousePuke

• ALARA Coordinator / Rad Engineer
  • Heavy User
  • If you don't like it here, go somewhere else!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 23, 2009, 11:52 »
A healthy individual releases 3.5 oz. of gas in a single flatulent emission, or about 17 oz. in a day. :D

Irish diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell such that he looks forward to making the trip.

Inspite of inflation, a penny is still a fair price for most peoples thoughts.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #17 on: Oct 23, 2009, 12:38 »
A healthy individual releases 3.5 oz. of gas in a single flatulent emission, or about 17 oz. in a day. :D

I can do that in a single shot.... :o
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #18 on: Oct 23, 2009, 09:28 »
Did you know, if the palm of your hand is bigger than your face, you will get cancer.

<Punch>  Gotcha!  I bet a few of you checked :)

SO!!  I...I...YOUR HAND IS BIGGER THAN YOUR.......FACE!!

Did you know that the first real jet aircraft flew in the year 1939 by the Germans,  And Henry Ford help car developer Porche to stream line the assembly plants of thier auto manufacturing in 1940.

BuddyThePug

« Reply #19 on: Oct 23, 2009, 10:16 »
Did you know that the first real jet aircraft flew in the year 1939 by the Germans, 

Not exactly...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coand%C4%83-1910

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #20 on: Oct 23, 2010, 09:24 »
Did you know,

the Bible is the most widely read book of all time, has the most authors inspired by One, is the most scrutinized book of all time, has more historical proof of it facts than any other book in history, has changed more lives in history, has been the source of many wars, used by the founding fathers to establish this great coutry, has been translated into more languages then any other document, and there are so many other facts that I dont have enough space for it all.   

You would enjoy the Ink and Blood exhibit, it is about the history and influence of the Bible from a secular viewpoint (the creator of the exhibit is not secular). There are a lot of "did you knows" in it. I saw the exhibit in Cincinatti and found it very informative.

http://www.inkandblood.com/

radbrat

« Reply #21 on: Oct 24, 2010, 09:40 »
what is the origin of the phrase "intuitively obvious to the most casual observer"...

It wasnt Broadzilla?????

Offline jjack50

• Heavy User
  • Now, LEARN DAMIT!!!!
« Reply #22 on: Oct 25, 2010, 02:47 »

You can triple that in a single shot...

[Flamer]

stownsend

« Reply #23 on: Oct 25, 2010, 03:28 »
On October 22 2010 the Texas Rangers ended the hopes and dreams of the New York Yankees  quest of a 28th world championship.Just in case anyone missed it. ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2010, 09:09 by stownsend »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #24 on: Oct 25, 2010, 03:34 »

This almost sounds like a good setup for an NRRPT problem...

" Assume HouseDad (as the Reference Man) has been in a workspace inhaling an atmosphere of 0.3 DAC of the nuclide of concern for 4 hours. At lunch, he expels the stated flatulence in a break room of 150 m3. What is the CEDE to JJack50's lungs from a 15 minute lunch exposure?  ;)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?