Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Entry level pay after Navy honeypot

Author Topic: Entry level pay after Navy  (Read 108901 times)

visserjr

Re: Entry level pay after Navy
« Reply #50 on: Apr 24, 2007, 08:10 »
Well said mike. I personally am not in an SRO pipe line, but there are a couple at my plant. And yes 6 month Minimum is required by the NRC. As far as the private industry SRO's at my plant 135K/year sounds more like Shift Manager 20+ years. Heck there are RO's at my plant make more than some SRO's just due to OVERTIME. I am on track to make 80-90K this year, and I haven't really worked that much overtime, and that doesn't include outage money(SIGH) 8), or take into account we are going to 12 hour days.

jorji

« Reply #51 on: Jun 06, 2007, 07:17 »
Ok, so how about this situation??

MM2 ELT getting out after 6 years (no LELT experience or anything like that). I have an interview for a chemistry job and I'm not sure how much to ask for if they bring up salary in the interview. If you ask for too little, they think that you don't think you're worth much, and you may end up getting paid less than if you had asked for more money. But, you also can't ask for too much, or they think you are being unrealistic. So, what is realistic to ask for? As an E-5, I make base salary of $26000 (very roughly), but with allowances, it's probably between 45K and 50K total for the year. The job I am going for is a company in Virginia that does water and metal testing, and they are getting ready to add a radiochemistry lab.

Any advice would surely be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #52 on: Jun 06, 2007, 09:48 »
Its all about not putting all your eggs in one basket.  Make sure you have other options so you don't have to take this job. For instance, I know how much money I want to go back to a house job (not a contracting job), and it is very high, so high the likelyhood of me being offered a house job that pays that much is fairly low unless my situation changes.  My point is part of the reason you can even ask for "more money" is because you have some amount of experience that gives you knowledge of the job market you are in, and are in a stable enough position so you don't have to take it.  if you really want that job, then take it.  If you don't then don't take it.  So in my position, I would ask for 45 bucks an hour TO START with 4 weeks vaca and they would tell me "thanks for your time". But I like to contract.

I know you can easily make over 30 bucks an hour at most nuclear plants as a chem tech after a couple years.  So maybe ask for 25$ an hour?  But I don't know how bad you need the job, i don't know how much you like the company, i don't know the standard of living in the area, I don't know alot of things.  if you are in a position where you need this job, you may just have to take what they give you. I certainly wouldn't take any less then 20$ an hour period, unless you really want to live right there....

Its not about figuring out if the money is worth it in an arbitrary fashion based on the "chem tech job marker", think about the offer and if it is enough money for you to live on and if you like the job and the area. Then compare it to your other options (you do have other options, don't you)?

http://bhuvans.wordpress.com/2006/08/19/50-common-interview-qa/        see #11 for a nice canned answer

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #53 on: Jun 06, 2007, 10:07 »
Very well said, hamsamitch -- and right on the mark.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Fermi2

« Reply #54 on: Jun 06, 2007, 01:18 »
There's no harm asking. If it's a Union Job it's a moot point as you'll get whatever the contact says you'll get.

Mike

Offline Limited Quanity

• Moderate User
  • Don't worry about the mule just load the wagon!
« Reply #55 on: Jun 06, 2007, 01:43 »
Hi Jorji.  I know here at our plant that they bring in people to go through sign offs and OJT that they start at about $44K.  You do get progression raises during the time after certain modules are competed.  After ward when you are signed off and can stand shift by yourself you would be looking at $62K roughly.  I'm certain that all cases are somewhat different.  If they already consider you a senior tech, you would come in much higher than the $44K.  We have a opening now that will close on June 24th for chem techs.  We also have a posting for HP's too that closes the same date.  I'm not sure this helps.  It depends if your going in as a junior or senior tech. 
I used to be a lifeguard until some blue kid got me fired.

LaFeet

« Reply #56 on: Jun 07, 2007, 06:50 »
Wow   what a difference...

Ok  I never made chief (drinks required for the reasons), never qualified EOOW..... and made over 80K out of the Nav on my first year.  Since then I have only made more, especially as a carnie now.

Is it hard to make that much... yeah, I hate being away from the family.  Did enough of that on the boats.  But the pay is great if you don't mind the work.  And with my blue card.. I don't need to worry about all that medical crap. 

80 - 100K is out there, and easily attainable.  Just find it.

OCnuke

« Reply #57 on: Jul 21, 2007, 09:13 »
I havent seen it listed anywhere but what about QA jobs at a civilian plant. I still have a couple of years before i get out but ive heard stories of getting paid pretty well for jobs on the outside that would be the same as some of our collateral duties. right now im training and gage cal but soon to be qai guy on my boat and just curious about it. I'm still debating switching career paths completely but i'd like to keep my options open. thanks in advance for replies.

Fermi2

« Reply #58 on: Jul 21, 2007, 09:28 »
QA in a commercial plant is not what you think it is. And coming straight out of the Navy you don't come anywhere near qualifying for the job.

Mike

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #59 on: Jul 22, 2007, 12:32 »
But being a QA guy and a Navy nuke would make you look good for an entry level position in the QA department at many nuc plants. Of course you won't be qualified to be a QA guy at a nuc plant before you get there and get some experience.  My buddy Bob E down at st. lucie was an ELT and our QA guy on the boat.  He just gave up his QA job at st. lucie to be a project manager.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #60 on: Jul 22, 2007, 07:38 »
I still have a couple of years before i get out but ive heard stories of getting paid pretty well for jobs on the outside that would be the same as some of our collateral duties. right now im training and gage cal

Gage cal is all performed by I&C department. If you are ET, that is a definite possibility. But since most indication is meters, actual gage cal is just a sideline for an instrument guy. No provisions for the best gage cal guy in M-Div to cross over. Sorry, just my experience.

Training is definitely a possibility. You will have to get instructor certified and do at least a prototype but preferably NNPS tour. I ran across my old MTMO instructor. He quickly moved up the training ladder.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #61 on: Jul 28, 2007, 05:41 »
Chip, no soliciting for jobs. It is not fair to the companies that purchase banners and space on the Jobs board.

I have edited your post.

Peace,

Jason
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2007, 12:12 by Nuclear NASCAR »

Rad Sponge

« Reply #62 on: Jul 28, 2007, 05:49 »
I think the answer to this question is this:

Yes, it is realistic, but you must be flexible in relocating, willing to work a crap ton of OT as scheduled or on a voluntary basis.

Once you get some time and quals under your belt, you can make this as your base salary.

A degree helps.

The Operations path is usually the most lucrative path for a guy or gal fresh out the Navy. Depends on the plant, though.

For Junior Officers, I have met many that are Plant Operators. Plant Operators make good money and in my reality, the operators and techs make much more than the Engineers or similar age.

My first year with only a few quals I made nearly 80K. Find a plant that is hurting for bodies and you will find a plant with lots of OT and Shifts to cover.

This year I will go over 90K. By the time I am fully qualled, I won't even have to try hard to go over 100K.

Its all relative to the needs of the plant.

Offline nowhereman

• Moderate User
« Reply #63 on: Jul 29, 2007, 09:40 »
rather than asking is 80-100k realistic...........try how much time do I want to spend at work?

Offline Limited Quanity

• Moderate User
  • Don't worry about the mule just load the wagon!
« Reply #64 on: Jul 30, 2007, 12:00 »
rather than asking is 80-100k realistic...........try how much time do I want to spend at work?

That depends on what your reference point is?  What do you call alot?  No matter where you work in the commercial field you'll be subject to outage periods.  That's a given for most jobs. 

These days with typical 25-30 day outages its fast and furious but over before you know it.  A little hetic before getting ready and the clean up afterward.  If your like us and work a variation of the dupont schedule, a 5 wk 12 hr/day rotation with a built in training week, you get quite a bit of time off. 

If you have your quals, your base salary is 65-70K , 8 hrs of built in OT 4 of every 5 rotations, outage OT, holidays, shift differential,,, and anyother perks your company may have,,, it's definitely achieveable.  We work 19 days and get 16 days off a rotation.  Take a vacation week during the training week and we get 14 days off for 5 days vacation time, what I'm doing right now.  Flipping from nights to days is the only problem I usually have.  Getting time off and making that kind of money hasn't been a problem.
I used to be a lifeguard until some blue kid got me fired.

Offline RodBottom

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #65 on: Sep 28, 2007, 05:06 »
8 years for me and out. MM1(SS), qualed EOOW. Started at 90k base (salary). Instant SRO. This doesn't take into account that you are getting paid 2/3 of the 18k annual licensing bonus while in ILT class, yearly incentives, shift differential pay, or OT during outages. I'm guessing I will gross around 110k my first year. So, yes, it is certainly out there, as many others have said. Just my .02 to add to the pile.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #66 on: Sep 28, 2007, 11:51 »
Sounds like the oyster creek deal :)

Justin

caerbannog

« Reply #67 on: Sep 29, 2007, 01:07 »
I bet someone else would have to make the tough calls. Like "OPS is $1 Million over budget for the year in OT due to overstaffing"  :o

(And you didn't see a need for an MBA!)
Which is laughable when they tell us how much the plant makes each day in profit.

I recently looked at the state of GA site for college search stuff ( www.gacollege411.org  if anyone is wondering) and saw they considered Nuclear Reactor Operators to be paid $60K. That isn't as much as a topped out AUO makes with TVA (no OT included)!

Bear that in mind as you are considering your resources
It might get that low if they sat in the training center and pulled 32 hour weeks all year.

Offline RodBottom

• Light User
« Reply #68 on: Sep 29, 2007, 10:57 »
Sounds like the oyster creek deal :)

Justin

Well...Exelon. But I'm in Chicago.   ;)

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #69 on: Sep 30, 2007, 12:07 »
Well...Exelon. But I'm in Chicago.   ;)

Is that braidwood? A buddy of mine from prototype just went up there.

Justin

Offline RodBottom

• Light User
« Reply #70 on: Sep 30, 2007, 12:23 »
Is that braidwood? A buddy of mine from prototype just went up there.

Justin

Yep, I am up here with a few guys from Protoypes, both SC and NY.

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #71 on: Nov 15, 2007, 12:28 »
I will work or one week(4 days) will be 48 hrs and the next (3 days) 36, yes we only work 7 outof "10 work" days!! This averages to (8*1.5= 12hrs+40+36= 88 hrs a week)
I only took two college level math classes, but I'm pretty sure your description and equation come to 88 effective hours in two weeks, or 44 hours per week...and as I recognize that his reply comes eight months after your post, how is the commercial world treating you?
"I'm not quiet; I just don't demand to be heard." ---George Harrison

JohnK87

« Reply #72 on: Dec 03, 2007, 03:25 »
The current job market is so hot, you should be able to do better than entry level.  Some plants are hiring control room supervisors right out of the Navy (EOOW qual officers mostly) at good pay.  I know we are hiring maintenance supervisors right out of the Navy.  Spread your resume around and take the best opportunity out there.

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
« Reply #73 on: Dec 03, 2007, 03:53 »
The current job market is so hot, you should be able to do better than entry level.  Some plants are hiring control room supervisors right out of the Navy (EOOW qual officers mostly) at good pay.  I know we are hiring maintenance supervisors right out of the Navy.  Spread your resume around and take the best opportunity out there.
Which plants would be doing that?

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #74 on: Dec 03, 2007, 06:44 »
Which plants would be doing that?

Palo Verde for one.

Justin

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?