Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Get Out or Stay In? Let the Debate Begin honeypot

Author Topic: Get Out or Stay In? Let the Debate Begin  (Read 17600 times)

Wirebiter

Get Out or Stay In? Let the Debate Begin
« on: Mar 11, 2007, 09:30 »

Bottom line EMCS.  Who is doing these kids a dis-service?  Being a hot-runner in the navy past your 6 year point is futile.  Be a hot-runner where you can actually get somewhere.

I'm sorry some people feel this way.  Such statements can be driven by greed or bitterness. 

I agree that all the facts should be compared before making any significant life decision.  I just disagree with the implication that anything >6 years and out is leading somone nowhere.

-Rob

"Never work just for money or for power. They won't save your soul or help you sleep at night."
-Marian Edelman

M1Ark

« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2007, 12:00 »
Someone has to stay in, Wirebiter.  Better you than me. 

I will not argue the merits of staying in with someone doing it for duty.  Just don't use the financial argument as the original poster did by claiming young kids are being swayed by false financial promise in the civilian fleet.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2007, 12:40 »
while a great place to start, the problem with the navy is that it is a crapshoot on whether or not your blood sweat and tears will get you anywhere after you do your 6 to 8yrs.  it is this way to some extent on the outside, but the navy forces you to stay at a bad command or a bad situation where it would have been way better to leave.  and the possibility of being sent to another REALLY BAD command always looms.  good for 6 years, possibly good for more, but a real crapshoot with alot of "money"(14 more years of your life in hell) on the table that arguably isn't worth the risk. in the real world you can just leave. 

I think even getting a job making 40 or 50k (and there are PLENTY of them out there) and working your way up is a better option than wasting 14 more years of your better years shooting craps at a table where the odds are stacked against you.  So even if 80 to 100k isn't automatic in THE FIRST YEAR (although I think it is possible, especially with OT), don't let that be a big difference maker.  the fact that you are making some good cash and are now master of your own destiny (if you can handle that) makes it the only option for many of us.

I think MARK's statements, while blistering, are right on the money, especially when concerning overall compensation (LDO vs Asst Ops Man).  Hell, look at the lower end of the stick too, 20yr 1st class vs a guy who has been an NLO for 15 years, the NLO is probably pulling down 80-100k with good overtime fairly easily, and has been for 10 of those 15 years unless working at one of the very low paying plants.  Anyway, I think these kids need that blistering, because the Navy sure is going to take thier best shot at bamboozaling them with statements like "your benefits are worth 80 to 100k a year alone, so stay in!", which is what they told me and is NOT true unless you use all those benies, and the Navy won't let you usually!  Besides, quality of life, though to each his own, is going to be better for roughly 80% of people getting out, just a guess.

Today I look back on my Navy years as a real character and confidence booster "I made it thru that crap!!!".  But there is NO WAY IN HELL I would stay at a place that treated me like about 50% of the officers and chiefs did in the Navy, not to mention the times you were treated like a pool of slave labor (officers included) for no good reason to be seen then or in hindsight today.  No bitterness here, just the simple fact that officers and chiefs had no reason to treat you with respect, because you couldn't quit, so many of them did it!  It's not a bitterness thing Biter, just a common sense thing.  I wish I would have had the grand time you obvioulsly had in the Navy, but I didn't, and neither did most of us. I'm glad for what the Navy did for me, but I'm even more glad I'm not in it anymore!

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2007, 01:42 »
Again well said.

The other day I figured out what I would have made had stayed in and retired. By my 7th year out I'd made enough to compense for what I would have made had I stayed in 20. That counts the 2 years I worked minimal OT. Everything since then I consider gravy.

Exactly what other Retirement Benefit is there thats worth it besides the pay. PLEASE don't say medical or dental.

Mike

Offline Longhornfan

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2007, 08:49 »

I will not argue the merits of staying in with someone doing it for duty.  Just don't use the financial argument as the original poster did by claiming young kids are being swayed by false financial promise in the civilian fleet.

First off my comments had nothing to do with staying in the Navy...we were talking about someone who isn't even there yet and I said if we don't tell them EVERYTHING straight (I think you will see I mentioned hard work and time away as well) then they will feel like they were lied to and like many of you here will hate the time they spend in.  I have never and will never attempt to sway someone's decision of staying in or not...that is a personal decision they need to make with their families.  I never let anyone talk me into anything, I made my decisions for reasons that were my own...just as I made the decision when it was time to walk away 6 years ago.

Even if we give the actual numbers without OT the pay on the outside is better than what you make inside...why inflate it?  I can't argue with your numbers M1ark...and really I wasn't trying to if you take the time to actually read my posts...but maybe it was that Chief that peeved you off you heard in your head since it obviously wasn't what I was writing.

Anyway...this horse is dead.  Thanks for all the responses.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2007, 08:55 »
The other day I figured out what I would have made had stayed in and retired. By my 7th year out I'd made enough to compense for what I would have made had I stayed in 20. That counts the 2 years I worked minimal OT. Everything since then I consider gravy.

I realized the other day that my employer (and many others) actively support the Guard & Reserves. Some may choose to do both: get out AND get the military retirement. Dad retired from the Navy Reserve; he got enough points over his 26 year Reserve & 6 year active time to get almost 50% of base for E-9 with 26 years (I don't think there were raised for >26 years, but could be wrong).
While I can give many reasons to go in the Reserves after discharge, I have a hundred or so of my own to not go in.  ::)

But if I did go in, I would make more in my real retirement just from the military than if I had stayed for 20 active duty.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Rad Sponge

Re: Get Out or Stay In? Let the Debate Begin
« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2007, 10:08 »
I split this post because it was veering into a debate between getting out or staying in.

R/ JMK

M1Ark

« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2007, 10:25 »
SUBEMCS,

I read your post. I enjoyed my 6 years.  The salary numbers are not inflated.  That Chief was you... you just don't realize it.  If there was anything missing from my post then read hamsamich's post.

M1Ark

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2007, 12:50 »
Its been a long time since I had to make the decision to stay or go and I'm sure the Navy is very different today but some things probably do not change. I got out because I heard "your wife didn't come in your seabag" one too many times. Up to the point I qualified as EWS I had not doubts that I would get out of the Navy but at that point my perspective changed (but not my decision). One day I couldn't do anything without seeking permission the next nothing happened in the engineering spaces unless I was consulted, this was not the Navy I had been serving in before. Those who stay in for a career experience a different Navy than those in for one tour of duty. There are those who stayed for the financial security but then there are those that are just "ate up with it" and I mean that in a good way. Could you imagine the Marine corp without its Gunny Sargent's? I heard jokingly that the Chiefs ran the Navy and there is a lot of truth in that. Consideration of reducing staff by eliminating some junior officer positions has happened a number of times because the chiefs were effectively running the divisions anyway. If money is the only gauge to your success why not enter sales? The highest average income is in this profession. If you are making a decision to stay or go I would ask yourself....are you ate up with it? do you have a strong stable family? is the sacrifice worth it? I belong to SubVets and it is a mix of one termers and lifers (most not nukes but a few are) and what I see are people who are happy with their decision what ever it was. Staying in is no guarantee that everything will work out. I ran into my first Leading ELT ten years after I got out, he was faced with going to sea as a single parent with two teenage sons or getting out at the 18 year mark, he got out as the Navy would not budge.
   Now that I've wandered through all of that to make it simple, if money is an issue get out, if family is an issue get out. Staying in is a career of service and I am grateful for those who make that decision and are "ate up with it". Thanks for your service.
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2007, 12:54 by Marlin »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2007, 06:42 »
WARNING complaining and whining enclosed so skip if you want.  :P

Well, someone has to stay in so that I can get out. That being said, I have nothing but respect for those who stay in because the military is what they want to do. I would just prefer it if they didn't try to force their beliefs on me as to the benefits of retirement from the military. In this day and age, it isn't worth it IMHO. I thank the Navy for the opportunities it has opened up for me, but I also thank them for treating me the way they have the last several years so that the decision to get out was easier, despite promises of 100K bonuses, etc. No longer do I want to be treated as a second class citizen because of some outdated officer vs enlisted tradition. No longer do I want to have my upper enlisted stand on my shoulders to reach that next level. No longer do I as a 31 year old man want to be told how to wipe my a** and I am sick of getting paid the same as that YN1 that lost my paperwork and had no repercussions except to say OOPS SUCKS TO BE YOU. Simply, the nuclear Navy is hurting bad in the 10-16 year range because those of us at that point are getting out. It is only going to get worse because before looking up the chain, the navy looks down and blames ME and those like me for the problems that are causing people to get out. The nuclear navy needs to wake up and smell the coffee, and realize that they cannot compete anymore under the current conditions. And I don't feel bad or wrong about educating the curious young minds that come through my prototype to the real facts. The chiefs and officer don't want the truth out there and want us to continue pushing navy propaganda such as "YOU HAVE TO MAKE 11ty BILLION DOLLARS TO MAKE UP FOR WHAT WE GIVE YOU FOR FREE AND YOU ARE NEVER GOING TO DO IT." So much for integrity huh?

/end first rant.

Sorry I am just a little bitter because the stupidity here gets deeper by the minute. Would you believe that it is now "informal," "unprofessional," "unmilitary," and "unholy" to be friendly in the nuclear navy these days? I was "talked to" because a WMFO guy (think NRC maybe?) told my superiors that he thought that I as the EDO was... and I quote... "too buddy buddy" with him. At the time I didn't realize "good morning sir how are you? How about that snow storm" was doing damage to the core of the nuclear navy, but I was wrong. And "they" made sure I knew it. I am done. I win... "they" lose.

/end secong rant

:)

Justin
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2007, 10:41 by Nuclear NASCAR »

Wirebiter

« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2007, 06:54 »

I agree that over inflating post Navy incomes is a disservice to anyone considering this carear path. Salesmen are salesmen, no matter what the product.  I just find it very hard to believe that money was/is the single force for many peoples decision to seperate or stay.  I understand the duty aspect, but maybe its just me thinking that there is more sustanance to our characters than simply chasing greenbacks.
Bad navy experiances aside, I think everyone of us at one point in their enlistment/commision was damn proud of the work they did and the job they were doing.  I know it didn't outwiegh the S---head LPO's or the draconian C.O.'s for some, but their were those simple, sometimes fleeting moments, when it all fit together. 

I guess, as many have already posted, its what YOU want out of life.  Some hard chargers just live it for differant reasons.

Thanks for all the posts.  I really didn't mean to start an uproar on the boards.  Funny how a few little keystrokes can get the blood flowing.

-Rob

M1Ark

« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2007, 07:03 »
Wirebiter,

We are having a communication problem.  The money has not been inflated.  80k-100k is for the degreed sailors that can get into an instant-SRO class.  60-80k is for the 6 and out guy wanting to be an NLO.   Greenbacks is NOT the main motivator but what JustinHemi05 said so eloquently.  Going to sea and the outdated leadership structure is why I got out. 

M1Ark

« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2007, 07:12 »
A nuke plant in South Florida has guys sitting in an instant-RO class with just 6 years experience making 77k/year base.  The class has 6/8/11/12 year enlisted nukes in it.  We also have 9 year enlisted nukes EOOW qualified w/ degree sitting in an instant-SRO class making 98k/year.

Just some real facts to back up what I'm saying.  Again... we must all respect those staying in for the sake of duty.  Those looking for those fleeting moments of accomplishment.

Offline Longhornfan

• Light User
« Reply #13 on: Mar 13, 2007, 08:08 »
Wirebiter,

We are having a communication problem.  The money has not been inflated.  80k-100k is for the degreed sailors that can get into an instant-SRO class.  60-80k is for the 6 and out guy wanting to be an NLO.   Greenbacks is NOT the main motivator but what JustinHemi05 said so eloquently.  Going to sea and the outdated leadership structure is why I got out. 

Isn't that exactly what I was saying in my post?  6 years and 60 to 80 vice 80 to 100k?  How did my saying that get twisted to somehow preaching that staying in was more financially advantageous because every time I go back and read it I can't find where I said that.  Maybe because I quoted the FPL employment ad that specified E-8 or 9 for instant SRO but again I don't see how that advocated staying in...you can get to SRO faster through the NLO than you can by staying around even if that requirement was standard industry wide...which I am assuming it is not by the info posted here.

Disgruntled sailors come from feeling like they are abused by the chain of command...and unfortunately many of them are.  There are a whole lot of chiefs and officers out there who actively participate in that...and a whole lot who just sit back and accept it for normal.  But there are also a whole lot who don't and try to make things better.  I worked with and for both types of commands.  I have worked for both types of managers since I retired as well so it is not only in the military...though out here you have the option to walk away if it gets unbearable.

Like I said I am not sure how people read my posts and get worked up that I am trying to influence anyone to stay in...or to get out for that matter.  My whole point was that after 6 years the young man who doesn't seem to like anyone in authority will probobly not be starting out at 80 to 100K like he seems to think he has guaranteed to him.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #14 on: Mar 13, 2007, 09:16 »
I think this all boils down to money.

Staying in just for the monetary benefits is ludicrous if you are a fully functioning nuke.

If you enjoy the job, enjoy the life, enjoy the port calls and all that stuff then by all means, stay in and we as Americans are greatful for your sacrifice. We need to be forward deployed and that takes Sailors re-upping in order to make that happen.

When you are at your crossroads for re-enlistment, if you are a motivated individual with a clean record and your number 1 focus is money, think twice about re-upping for the cash. There is more to be had in this industry.

ranger2

« Reply #15 on: Mar 13, 2007, 10:10 »
I wasn't going to post in this or the previous topic, but here goes:

We have one 6-yr sailor in my SRO class pulling down approx $130k with bonuses and shift premium (no overtime) his first year out; and we had a prototype SPU who had never been to sea (medical) pulling down the same until academics got the better of him. The rest of the class had more time in before separating (and a few retirees).

It is not abnormal at some plants/utilities.

Fermi2

« Reply #16 on: Mar 14, 2007, 08:21 »
I rather liked the Navy but I couldn't see myself staying in. After a certain point I knew there was not much else for me to learn in the Navy. My 3 best friends are guys I met in the Navy and about once a week I'm starting to hear from other guys who served with me (magic of the internet)

If a young guy came up to me and asked for advice I'd say sure join the Navy but if you value your economic future get out at the 6 year point.

Also, during my 6 years in the Navy I can't think of one Chief or Officer I viewed as a hugely effective leader or one that really taught me a leadership skill. The only one I viewed as effective was a Lt who ended up being the Ops Manager at Texas Utilities.

That's not to say there isn't a potential. I'm working with a guy now, an Academy Grad who I view as one of the most effective and best leaders I've ever met. I'd imagine he must have been good in the Navy because leadership isn't something you learn, it's something you are.

Mike

« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2007, 08:23 by Broadzilla »

Beta_effect

« Reply #17 on: Mar 14, 2007, 09:55 »
I was in the STAR program and then extended to get Prototype instructor duty...glad I went that route. It was a great experience and I managed to get a degree before I got out...then I turned around and got on reactor staff at a university research reactor and stayed till I completed a BS and MS in Nuclear Engineering. I was in 8 y 8 months and I probably never would have gotten the reactor staff job without the Navy experience. Since reactor staff also taught the operations portion of a Reactor Ops class, the protoype instructor experience sure did not hurt.
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2007, 09:59 by Beta_effect »

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
Will the Navy ever stop their tactics?
« Reply #18 on: Mar 29, 2007, 12:04 »
Well, the purpose of this is to find out if the next 5years of my naval career is that I am going to hear about how much more the Navy has too offer then the civilian sector. Today we class had a 2 hour brief of why it would be "wise" of us to stay in and reenlist...They made these little charts all about money and how if you stay in that you will make more than if you get out at 6 or 8. Then it was continued to trying to tell us that none of us will get higher than a job as an AO making on 40K and that it is not too likely for any of us to get into other spots higher than that. I think I made the MMCM who ran the show today quite mad with all my comments. But will they ever stop? Today we were told the difference in money is only 4%. Ha, these guys have 90% of my class fooled and it's sad that they are acting like recruiters all over again.

Thanks for the time,
Dennis

RNN

Re: Will the Navy ever stop their tactics?
« Reply #19 on: Mar 29, 2007, 02:37 »
First off thank you for your service.

Well I can't speak for others here but I work in the DOE projects and have for the last 15 yrs and I can tell you for the last 3 yrs with overtime I have made over double of the 40K the navy is telling you will make if you leave and I'm just a meter swinger not supervision.

I can also tell you that the last three sites I put my resume in at were paying anywhere from $27.50 to $34.50/hr for seniors and that is also dependent if you take thier benifits so $25 - $30/hr without bennies as your base pay.

So your answer is yes for the next 5 yrs your going to have them lie to you.

RNN

« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2007, 02:50 by RNN »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #20 on: Mar 29, 2007, 04:24 »
I refer you to this post.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,10317.0.html

The Navy and all of their propaganda mongers (AKA Chiefs quarters) are full of s**t and they know it. Thats why they are scrambling and in fact begging folks like me (people at their 8-10 year point) to stay navy and accelerate their lives. They know we are becoming wise to the fact that the navy (nuclear) can no longer, if it ever has, compete with the civilian sector. They are realizing that they can no longer survive on diggits (those who stay navy for the love of their country and their duty... which is awesome and well respected by me). But, instead of fixing the real problems to keep me in, like bad officers and chiefs, they just toss money at me. Money that in the long run really doesn't add up to s**t and I know it. Get out. Everyone is doing it.

/rant

Justin

PS Yes I am a little bitter.  :P

« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2007, 06:52 by Nuclear NASCAR »

Rad Sponge

« Reply #21 on: Mar 29, 2007, 06:31 »
I refer you to this post.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,10317.0.html

The Navy and all of their propaganda mongers (AKA Chiefs quarters) are full of shit and they know it. Thats why they are scrambling and in fact begging folks like me (people at their 8-10 year point) to stay navy and accelerate their lives. They know we are becoming wise to the fact that the navy (nuclear) can no longer, if it ever has, compete with the civilian sector. They are realizing that they can no longer survive on diggits (those who stay navy for the love of their country and their duty... which is awesome and well respected by me). But, instead of fixing the real problems to keep me in, like bad officers and chiefs, they just toss money at me. Money that in the long run really doesn't add up to shit and I know it. Get out. Everyone is doing it.

/rant

Justin

PS Yes I am a little bitter.  :P

Its like this.

We have been covering this topic since the day nukeworker included a Navy thread.

I am going to merge this with another thread.

Here is my schpeal, again:

Everyone is a saleman.  Everyone has an agneda. Chief or HR rep, they will always show you their best side. There is no green pasteur that you don't have to fertilize yourself.

Make your own decisions.

M1Ark

« Reply #22 on: Mar 29, 2007, 02:32 »
JMK,

Were you a chief when you got out?  Your opinion might be a little skewed since you went Chem Tech out of the Navy.

M1Ark

Rad Sponge

« Reply #23 on: Mar 29, 2007, 06:17 »
JMK,

Were you a chief when you got out?  Your opinion might be a little skewed since you went Chem Tech out of the Navy.

M1Ark

I was an MM1. I mentioned "Chief" in reference to HEMI's post.

I am not really sure how my chosen profession post Navy has any bearing on my opinion. I was a motivated and positive Sailor while I was in and I am a positive and motivated employee now that I am out.

Admittedly I had a "charmed" career. ELT-SPU-Boomer,and always had awesome leadership, but I went through some serious roughness with how my wife's illnesses and my injury put my motivations on hold and ended my navy ambitions pre-maturely. I was lost for a couple of years, but in the end I fixed myself and moved on.

I admit, I am a diggit. That is the basis for my opinion.

What I was getting at with HEMI is that everyone has an agenda. An HR rep trying to hire you to fill their quota and satisfy their bean counters and KPIs and all that are going to paint a rosey picture of their company, as well.

There is no one Navy life standard for all future sailors. You take what you get and make the best of it. In retrospect did I enjoy the Navy because I had awesome leadership or did I have awesome leadership because they responded to my positive attitude?

Who cares? I'm out now. All the current Sailors on these boards can do is read our opinions, observe their worlds, and apply their best judgement based on the best information they can get here, there, anywhere.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #24 on: Mar 29, 2007, 09:26 »
I was an MM1. I mentioned "Chief" in reference to HEMI's post.

I am not really sure how my chosen profession post Navy has any bearing on my opinion. I was a motivated and positive Sailor while I was in and I am a positive and motivated employee now that I am out.

Admittedly I had a "charmed" career. ELT-SPU-Boomer,and always had awesome leadership, but I went through some serious roughness with how my wife's illnesses and my injury put my motivations on hold and ended my navy ambitions pre-maturely. I was lost for a couple of years, but in the end I fixed myself and moved on.

I admit, I am a diggit. That is the basis for my opinion.

What I was getting at with HEMI is that everyone has an agenda. An HR rep trying to hire you to fill their quota and satisfy their bean counters and KPIs and all that are going to paint a rosey picture of their company, as well.

There is no one Navy life standard for all future sailors. You take what you get and make the best of it. In retrospect did I enjoy the Navy because I had awesome leadership or did I have awesome leadership because they responded to my positive attitude?

Who cares? I'm out now. All the current Sailors on these boards can do is read our opinions, observe their worlds, and apply their best judgement based on the best information they can get here, there, anywhere.

Which is why I didn't get into a debate about whether or not the navy sucks. :) everyone has their own experience and opinion and its pointless to go on and on about it. I am happy you were lucky. I however, was not which leads to my bitterness today. Along those lines, I am pretty sure I am not in the minority.

Justin

PS HR reps on the outside can spin it however they want because I am 1000% sure that the worst day at my next job will be 1000% better than my best day in the navy. I formed that opinion based on talking with dozens of individuals at prospective employers and their response has all been pretty much the same.... "Ya its nuke power so you still have typical nuke bull crap to deal with, but at the end of the day you still feel like a human and you get paid for it."

Rad Sponge

« Reply #25 on: Mar 29, 2007, 10:03 »

PS HR reps on the outside can spin it however they want because I am 1000% sure that the worst day at my next job will be 1000% better than my best day in the navy. I formed that opinion based on talking with dozens of individuals at prospective employers and their response has all been pretty much the same.... "Ya its nuke power so you still have typical nuke bull crap to deal with, but at the end of the day you still feel like a human and you get paid for it."
[/quote]

You are absolutely accurate. I get to go home. Its nice. I get OT. I get 2OT sometimes too. That's real nice.

I wasn't lucky. I make my own. Plenty of bitter people at all my commands.  Plenty of bitter people where I work as well.

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
« Reply #26 on: Mar 29, 2007, 11:03 »
Thanks for the comments,

I should have just realized it much earlier that no matter which way you look at it, we will be partially manipulated by anyone in or out. But I like the advice you all give. Maybe I should have searched a little more instead of trying to get opinions on something that will be very bias. Haven't had much time to look on the search engine or browse too much on here(Have a 2.98 in power school and I requested to be put on higher mandatory hours so I can ensure I study, and not slack like my friends.) thank you for the advice though.

Dennis

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #27 on: Mar 29, 2007, 11:10 »
Thanks for the comments,

I should have just realized it much earlier that no matter which way you look at it, we will be partially manipulated by anyone in or out. But I like the advice you all give. Maybe I should have searched a little more instead of trying to get opinions on something that will be very bias. Haven't had much time to look on the search engine or browse too much on here(Have a 2.98 in power school and I requested to be put on higher mandatory hours so I can ensure I study, and not slack like my friends.) thank you for the advice though.

Dennis

Karma to ya for thinking it through, full circle!  We'll look forward to reading of your success :)

Rad Sponge

« Reply #28 on: Mar 30, 2007, 04:35 »
Thanks for the comments,

Dennis

Good luck, don't let bitter people bring you into their bitterness just so they can have some company.

With your attitude, you will be just fine.

JMK

M1Ark

« Reply #29 on: Mar 31, 2007, 07:45 »

I am not really sure how my chosen profession post Navy has any bearing on my opinion.

A lot of the navy nukes looking for info on commercial nuclear power are looking for info on Ops.  I find comments you make are skewed w/ you being a Chem Tech.  Your perspective is a little off. 

Rad Sponge

« Reply #30 on: Mar 31, 2007, 10:34 »
A lot of the navy nukes looking for info on commercial nuclear power are looking for info on Ops.  I find comments you make are skewed w/ you being a Chem Tech.  Your perspective is a little off. 

My perspective is general.

I come to work early. I am receptive to peer coaching. I do the job. I go home satisfied.

Whether I am swinging valves or mixing beakers, the attitude is still the same.

I could have gone into whatever I wanted to do. I chose chem because it pays better in the short term.

Chem Ops HP Maint IC whatever. Attitude is attitude.

Offline Limited Quanity

• Moderate User
  • Don't worry about the mule just load the wagon!
« Reply #31 on: Apr 02, 2007, 03:12 »
Well, the purpose of this is to find out if the next 5years of my naval career is that I am going to hear about how much more the Navy has too offer then the civilian sector. Today we class had a 2 hour brief of why it would be "wise" of us to stay in and reenlist...They made these little charts all about money and how if you stay in that you will make more than if you get out at 6 or 8. Then it was continued to trying to tell us that none of us will get higher than a job as an AO making on 40K and that it is not too likely for any of us to get into other spots higher than that. I think I made the MMCM who ran the show today quite mad with all my comments. But will they ever stop? Today we were told the difference in money is only 4%. Ha, these guys have 90% of my class fooled and it's sad that they are acting like recruiters all over again.

Thanks for the time,
Dennis

Dennis,
Good luck the next 5 yrs during your tour and much success in what ever you decide to do after that.
It's hard for me to give much advice on what to do since I wasn't a bonafide Nuke.  I was one of the guys that didn't make it through NPS with out the door advice from a guy named Capt. Groth that "I hope your children don't turn out to be like you". 

Long story short I ended up on a tender, qualified everthing you can think of in R7 (Radcon) up to the point of having the CO sign off my RCSS quals.  I was the divisions prodigy since I was a non nuke but it paid off for me$   

I got out having done 5yr. 3mo.  and haven't regretted it.  I've never regretted enlisting either.  I got out of it exactly what I wanted and the Navy, except for one individual, got everything it wanted.

I think I am one of the exceptions to the rule.  Most academic drops don't luck out but hopefully I can inspire those who can make it through.  It should be so much easier for you guys. TVA hired me without an interview based on my resume for HP, (back then).  Lately a Shift Manager has been pushing me to complete my degree and enter a SRO class.  There are all kinds of opportunities out here for you guys.  We are short staffed in most disiplines and the average age of the work force keeps getting older.   My reup bonus was $16K for a MM2, made $126K last year including bonus.  I say it worked out for me.

By the way, my four kids are just wonderful, smart, and have brought joy to my life.  Good thing they didn't turn out like me. ;D
I used to be a lifeguard until some blue kid got me fired.

Fermi2

« Reply #32 on: Apr 02, 2007, 03:57 »
I'd like to point out something. Dennis and I got off on a bad foot because I felt he needed to present himself better. I know for a fact he's worked his rear off to get his average and has a great attitude as from time to time we exchange emails and PMs. He has an opening and questioning mind and I think he's going to make a fine nuke.

Mike

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?