Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Get Out or Stay In? Let the Debate Begin  

Author Topic: Get Out or Stay In? Let the Debate Begin  (Read 17639 times)

Rad Sponge

Re: Get Out or Stay In? Let the Debate Begin
« Reply #25 on: Mar 29, 2007, 10:03 »

PS HR reps on the outside can spin it however they want because I am 1000% sure that the worst day at my next job will be 1000% better than my best day in the navy. I formed that opinion based on talking with dozens of individuals at prospective employers and their response has all been pretty much the same.... "Ya its nuke power so you still have typical nuke bull crap to deal with, but at the end of the day you still feel like a human and you get paid for it."
[/quote]

You are absolutely accurate. I get to go home. Its nice. I get OT. I get 2OT sometimes too. That's real nice.

I wasn't lucky. I make my own. Plenty of bitter people at all my commands.  Plenty of bitter people where I work as well.

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #26 on: Mar 29, 2007, 11:03 »
Thanks for the comments,

I should have just realized it much earlier that no matter which way you look at it, we will be partially manipulated by anyone in or out. But I like the advice you all give. Maybe I should have searched a little more instead of trying to get opinions on something that will be very bias. Haven't had much time to look on the search engine or browse too much on here(Have a 2.98 in power school and I requested to be put on higher mandatory hours so I can ensure I study, and not slack like my friends.) thank you for the advice though.

Dennis

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #27 on: Mar 29, 2007, 11:10 »
Thanks for the comments,

I should have just realized it much earlier that no matter which way you look at it, we will be partially manipulated by anyone in or out. But I like the advice you all give. Maybe I should have searched a little more instead of trying to get opinions on something that will be very bias. Haven't had much time to look on the search engine or browse too much on here(Have a 2.98 in power school and I requested to be put on higher mandatory hours so I can ensure I study, and not slack like my friends.) thank you for the advice though.

Dennis

Karma to ya for thinking it through, full circle!  We'll look forward to reading of your success :)

Rad Sponge

« Reply #28 on: Mar 30, 2007, 04:35 »
Thanks for the comments,

Dennis

Good luck, don't let bitter people bring you into their bitterness just so they can have some company.

With your attitude, you will be just fine.

JMK

M1Ark

« Reply #29 on: Mar 31, 2007, 07:45 »

I am not really sure how my chosen profession post Navy has any bearing on my opinion.

A lot of the navy nukes looking for info on commercial nuclear power are looking for info on Ops.  I find comments you make are skewed w/ you being a Chem Tech.  Your perspective is a little off. 

Rad Sponge

« Reply #30 on: Mar 31, 2007, 10:34 »
A lot of the navy nukes looking for info on commercial nuclear power are looking for info on Ops.  I find comments you make are skewed w/ you being a Chem Tech.  Your perspective is a little off. 

My perspective is general.

I come to work early. I am receptive to peer coaching. I do the job. I go home satisfied.

Whether I am swinging valves or mixing beakers, the attitude is still the same.

I could have gone into whatever I wanted to do. I chose chem because it pays better in the short term.

Chem Ops HP Maint IC whatever. Attitude is attitude.

Offline Limited Quanity

• Moderate User
  • Don't worry about the mule just load the wagon!
Re: Will the Navy ever stop their tactics?
« Reply #31 on: Apr 02, 2007, 03:12 »
Well, the purpose of this is to find out if the next 5years of my naval career is that I am going to hear about how much more the Navy has too offer then the civilian sector. Today we class had a 2 hour brief of why it would be "wise" of us to stay in and reenlist...They made these little charts all about money and how if you stay in that you will make more than if you get out at 6 or 8. Then it was continued to trying to tell us that none of us will get higher than a job as an AO making on 40K and that it is not too likely for any of us to get into other spots higher than that. I think I made the MMCM who ran the show today quite mad with all my comments. But will they ever stop? Today we were told the difference in money is only 4%. Ha, these guys have 90% of my class fooled and it's sad that they are acting like recruiters all over again.

Thanks for the time,
Dennis

Dennis,
Good luck the next 5 yrs during your tour and much success in what ever you decide to do after that.
It's hard for me to give much advice on what to do since I wasn't a bonafide Nuke.  I was one of the guys that didn't make it through NPS with out the door advice from a guy named Capt. Groth that "I hope your children don't turn out to be like you". 

Long story short I ended up on a tender, qualified everthing you can think of in R7 (Radcon) up to the point of having the CO sign off my RCSS quals.  I was the divisions prodigy since I was a non nuke but it paid off for me$   

I got out having done 5yr. 3mo.  and haven't regretted it.  I've never regretted enlisting either.  I got out of it exactly what I wanted and the Navy, except for one individual, got everything it wanted.

I think I am one of the exceptions to the rule.  Most academic drops don't luck out but hopefully I can inspire those who can make it through.  It should be so much easier for you guys. TVA hired me without an interview based on my resume for HP, (back then).  Lately a Shift Manager has been pushing me to complete my degree and enter a SRO class.  There are all kinds of opportunities out here for you guys.  We are short staffed in most disiplines and the average age of the work force keeps getting older.   My reup bonus was $16K for a MM2, made $126K last year including bonus.  I say it worked out for me.

By the way, my four kids are just wonderful, smart, and have brought joy to my life.  Good thing they didn't turn out like me. ;D
I used to be a lifeguard until some blue kid got me fired.

Fermi2

« Reply #32 on: Apr 02, 2007, 03:57 »
I'd like to point out something. Dennis and I got off on a bad foot because I felt he needed to present himself better. I know for a fact he's worked his rear off to get his average and has a great attitude as from time to time we exchange emails and PMs. He has an opening and questioning mind and I think he's going to make a fine nuke.

Mike

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?