Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Tina’s Training Trauma (From Bartlett thread) honeypot

Author Topic: Tina’s Training Trauma (From Bartlett thread)  (Read 39548 times)

gastech

Re: Tina’s Training Trauma (From Bartlett thread)
« Reply #25 on: Mar 15, 2007, 05:00 »
correct
I will be taking the test in aug.
i am not an rct ,I just happen to be wearing an RCT hat at this time.
hp tech / rp tech is what I prefer to be called,since I spent over 20 years
working in nuke plants.
I have been here at the nts (doe)for 4 yrs, I did a couple of jobs at Hanford site also
I would say, tina since I am not currently nrrpt yet, that  mostly it will be a
personal achievement for you ( you can say you are nrrpt and you will get a plaque for your office). If you are good at job coverage,know all the systems and got your nrrpt then you got it all (or at least you should have no problem getting called
back to the next outage) . Oh and of course most important a good personality. 
it has been rumored that some sites give you an extra $1. (buck / hr)   
I also think most DOE sites give you credit for the core,maybe some plants give you credit for there site tect (neu or whatever the new version is now).
  ps:                                                                                                                             did I mention that if you can get around the friends and family clubs at some places you might get moved to the front of the line for promotions.

mostly it is personnal pride for you!

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
« Reply #26 on: Mar 15, 2007, 07:57 »
Progress Energy and Dominion will take an NRRPT in lieu of the NUF.  Some DOE will take the NRRPT instead of the core. However in my opinion the NRRPT is about 5 times harder.  So there is good reason that they do. I doubt anyone who has passed the NRRPT could fail a NUF or Core test. If there is anyone who will admit this I would like to know. I know a NRRPT who let his NRRPT qual lapse and he had to take the NUF cold, no studying, he made a 96.  Everyone else failed.  NRRPT will also get you more money and consideration in some cases.  Especially if the person hiring has a NRRPT.

Offline Tina

• Moderate User
  • Face wht your afraid of, Find out wht your made of
« Reply #27 on: Mar 15, 2007, 11:54 »
 ;) Thanks thenukeman...just was woundering if the NRRPT has as much differance in acceptance as the Core dose. throughout the industry .. While here at INL in the training group only one person had a NRRPT and he didnt have to take the core because of it ... just out of curiosity why is the NRRPT respected more than the core is it just because its a harder test or some other reason ??? what are the annual quals for an NRRPT and dose it just consist of the fees ???? and are the fees the reason the test is so repected ???  :) just woundering  ::) 

I actually would have like to see the core treated with the same respect ... throughout the industry aswell ..   8)

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #28 on: Mar 16, 2007, 05:17 »
Tina,

I suggest taking a look at the practice test http://www.nukeworker.com/quiz/quiz_info.php?quiz_id=16

That will give you an idea of what questions may be on it...

Here is information on requirements to take the test:

"# Education
The applicant shall have a high school diploma or equivalent. In addition, the applicant must submit to the Board evidence of operational abilities as a Radiation Protection Technologists.

# Age
The applicant shall be at least 21 years old at the time of application.

# Experience
An applicant must have a minimum of five years experience. Training may be substituted for experience if the applicant will submit to the Board information about the program and proof of completion. This information should include curriculum, typical examinations, and passing requirements for radiation related subjects.

Experience credit allowed for formal education, company training programs and applicable military training is cummulative up to a maximum of two years. Note that an applicant may not claim work experience while in formal classroom study.

# Examination
After approval of the application, the prospective registrant must successfully complete a national examination.

The applicant shall have a high school diploma or equivalent. In addition, the applicant must submit to the Board evidence of operational abilities as a Radiation Protection Technologists.The applicant shall be at least 21 years old at the time of application.An applicant must have a minimum of five years experience. Training may be substituted for experience if the applicant will submit to the Board information about the program and proof of completion. This information should include curriculum, typical examinations, and passing requirements for radiation related subjects.Experience credit allowed for formal education, company training programs and applicable military training is cummulative up to a maximum of two years. Note that an applicant may not claim work experience while in formal classroom study.After approval of the application, the prospective registrant must successfully complete a national examination."

I found this information on NRRPT.org which is the official site of The National Registry of Radiation Protection Technologist.  It contains more information on what is needed for the test such as study information and fees. 

I suggest looking under Examination Information and FAQ's

The NRRPT.org site and this site should be able to answer your questions on why the test is so esteemed in our circles. 

Have a good one!

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #29 on: Mar 16, 2007, 07:55 »
My opinion on NRRPT why it is more respected is that it requires far more knowledge than what you have to know for core or NUF.  Some DOE and Nuke plants realize this and give an automatic pass for it.  You have to submit a list of items that you have done to keep your quals up every 5 years, this includes, dues (35 ayear), college, proof of working in the nuclear field, belonging to nuclear organizations and other items, Jess has given good reference for NRRPT.org.  Hope this helps.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator

jjordan

« Reply #31 on: Mar 17, 2007, 08:32 »
Hmmmm Tina!
Lets see: inequalities, broken promises, unclear expectations, favoritisim. Sounds to me like you would have fared a little better if you had a union1 Everyone thinks it won't happen to me. i do my job, don't make waves, kiss a little butt. I'm good to go! It can ,and will happen to nearly anyone working in this industry. I try very hard to do a good job, go the extra mile, and I'm still not immune, nobody is. They got rid of Neil Gannon at Harris, and he was a VP, the best I ever worked for, and he even had a contract. If some of us HP's think we are beyond all of that, stand a little closer to the mirror. The union would help level the feild. If one tech gets 3 chances, all techs get 3 chances. If travel in is in the contract, then you get travel in when you show up as agreed. If you only have one or two tries at the test, and blow it. The union could and would provide means to take another test, or take the test until you pass it at a location much closer to your home of record at no cost to you! (your dues at work) they could establish regional training facilities to administer any and all tests required by the employers,(NEU, NRRPT, DOE Core, ect.) and training for some of us that have difficulties passing tests in our chosen profession. Win, win!
Another 2 cents worth,
JJ 8)
PS I got a whole pocket full of change! :P

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #32 on: Mar 17, 2007, 10:02 »
;) Thanks thenukeman...just was woundering if the NRRPT has as much differance in acceptance as the Core dose. throughout the industry .. While here at INL in the training group only one person had a NRRPT and he didnt have to take the core because of it ... just out of curiosity why is the NRRPT respected more than the core is it just because its a harder test or some other reason ??? what are the annual quals for an NRRPT and dose it just consist of the fees ???? and are the fees the reason the test is so repected ???  :) just woundering  ::) 

I actually would have like to see the core treated with the same respect ... throughout the industry aswell ..   8)

OK Tina,
The NRRPT is a broader based test of knowledge - it covers commercial, medical, DOE, research, Xray, etc. It is still heavily weighted towards commercial, but it does require knowledge of most aspects of Health Physics.

When I went to RFETS with the first Bartlett crew there ('97), we all passed the core, but we had a class before we took it. The site wasn't sure what our knowledge base was, as they had no experience with commercial techs.

I was (and still am) active NRRPT, and took the core. I didn't find it challenging, but I'm a good test taker. The annual requirements for NRRPT active status are spelled out on their website. Would be a good learning project for you to look it up yourself.

I believe that everyone deserves a second chance. But if given a second chance, they darn well better improve.

I have been to sites where the pay rate if you failed the test was min wage until you passed it, retroactive, and it could take several days. Travel in usually depended upon passing the test (part of your obligation). Travel out depended upon completing your obligation (length of job and satisfactory performance).

Sorry you feel screwed over, but I bet next time you will pass.

Peace,
Snake
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

LaFeet

« Reply #33 on: Mar 18, 2007, 09:42 »
Tina,

I understand how you feel, especially about the travel.   But you need to be ready to take (and pass) those silly exams where ever you may travel.  I know some people have trouble taking/passing exams.  I believe that those that can pass should help those in need.   It only helps us all out in the long and short run.

Dont know if we crossed paths, but would be happy to help out if I can.

As for the per diem and travel, cant help you there.  I too live in Okieville and scoff at the travel caps imposed.   It takes almost the full check just for gas to get here, not counting food and rooms.  I still accept the position, mainly because I like to work.  But also because I like to work for the plants and with the people there.

I dont know if Bartlett was at fault.  I do believe that they have always treated me fairly and I always show up ready to work for them......even in the hot dry Nevada desert.  I try not to depend on the company for my needs, other than per diem and pay (and an occassional cheeseless pizza - with toppings).  This job is made easier by being prepared - including taking the exam.

My first outage I did not possess the "dreaded" NUE exam.  I was not even allowed to take it until the end of the outage for fear that I might fail.  I did (and still do) possess an active NRRPT certification.  I agree with the others that this is the way to go. 

Hope you have better results down the road. :)

:)Hey Gastech... good luck on the NRRPT
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2007, 09:47 by LaFeet »

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #34 on: Mar 19, 2007, 09:23 »
Even Though I am Anti-Union, In this case a Union and company can work hand in hand with everyone potentially winning.  I believe if someone fails they should be given a week to study and better themselves for a second chance.  The Union could give study materials to the worker and ask others to help.  However there should be no third or multiple attempts.  This keeps the best qualified in and keeps the majority of the people who pass the test some level of comfort that their hard work is worth something.  The company also benefits by not having to deal with this when the union supports them.  Unfortunately, this is not the case and it is obvious by JJ's post that the union will do their best to keep their dues by trying to over rule the company and allow mediocrity to flourish which is what alot of unions are about today.  I have seen it and thats why I do not want it.  I hope Tina studys up and passses the NRRPT and she may not ever have to take a test again for HP!!
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2007, 09:24 by thenukeman »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #35 on: Mar 19, 2007, 10:48 »
I believe if someone fails they should be given a week to study and better themselves for a second chance. 

In that case, I'll fail the first time, every time.  So I can get an extra weeks pay to do nothing.  Whatever happened to showing up ready and qualified for the job you accepted?  Someone should pay you to study to take a test you should already be able to pass?  Study on your own dime.
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2007, 02:43 by Rennhack »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #36 on: Mar 19, 2007, 11:14 »
What ever happened to showing up ready and qualified for the job you accepted?

What a concept. Maybe someday it will catch on.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

jjordan

« Reply #37 on: Mar 19, 2007, 11:17 »
Sorry azkidd, but I couldn't figure out how to quote these posts, and post it on "my" thread. I really wasn't aware that there was thread ownership here. I thought anyone could post their opinion as lpng as it pertained to the topic. since you brought it up, Tina didn't start this thread, the moderators did. They moved it from another thread (from Bartlett thread) now if i was as smart individual, and you all are quick to point out I'm not. I would have posted to both threads, and got this pro union rhetoric where it belonged. But the topic here was "Tina's Training Trauma". In my post I stated that "If" there was a union, a lot of training would be provided, just for the costs of your monthly dues. It already said that in the other thread, probably several places. But it seems when you don't agree with the posts, you close you minds. Once again you don't address the posts, you attack the poster. Why don't you say the union won't provide any training, or the union would never guarantee travel or wages as per a contract. You can't because they would! Tina always took the high road when posting, she has my respect, but now maybe she will see the benefit of having a contract. You know something written down and agreed to by all parties. This will protect and clarify things for anyone involved. one by one everyone will eventually be in a position like this without one. Nobody is immune, remember it's just business and you're just a number.
JJ 8)

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #38 on: Mar 19, 2007, 02:22 »
I was trying to be kind and thinking of a way to be pro union and help people out.  Thanks Renhack for helping me out and slapping me back to the anti-union guy that I am.  Showing up and passing the test the first time, what a concept, and studying on your own dime if you fail. OK, this sounds better.  Getting the NRRPT to stop all trauma even better.  If there ever was a union the person who failed would show up at the union hall for no pay to study and get study material for a second chance.  Then I would respect a union in that case.  However I doubt that would happen.  They would blame the company.  Kick me again Renhack when I get out of line.  :)

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #39 on: Mar 19, 2007, 07:45 »
author=Tina 
Re: Rent a tech Union debate
« Reply #484 on: Feb 13, 2007, 17:31 » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  I have a contract with my hiring company and I dont have a union due debt to get keep my job..

Looks like your belief that you have a contract, and no debt to the union, shows you to have the upper hand.
Karma to ya...
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #40 on: Mar 21, 2007, 07:35 »
In that case, I'll fail the first time, every time.  So I can get an extra weeks pay to do nothing.  Whatever happened to showing up ready and qualified for the job you accepted?  Someone should pay you to study to take a test you should already be able to pass?  Study on your own dime.
Why is there testing if people show up for a job and they have been vetted and qualified by the contracting company? 

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #41 on: Mar 21, 2007, 08:59 »
Why is there testing if people show up for a job and they have been vetted and qualified by the contracting company? 

Because it's their sand box, and their rules.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #42 on: Mar 21, 2007, 09:03 »
Because it's their sand box, and their rules.

...and because too many contractor-cats mis-used the sand box in the past...
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

stownsend

« Reply #43 on: Mar 22, 2007, 08:55 »
It's been awhile since I've been to a Plant,but at some plants my NRRPT registration only exempted me for 5 years before I had to retake the NEU. Each place has it's own rules.

ISOCS

« Reply #44 on: Mar 23, 2007, 03:27 »
I took the NRRPT 5 years ago and it's very comprehensive. I presently use the knowledge I gained from studying for that test. When I say studying I mean 2 hrs./day after work for 1.5 months. I have a CD with about 450 study questions and it's real good to hone your math skills but it really was about 10% of the test. Gollnick, Cember, and the Rad Health handbook are also useful tools. Tina, let me know if you want a copy of the CD. ISOCS

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #45 on: Mar 23, 2007, 07:16 »
Tina, let me know if you want a copy of the CD. ISOCS
It's probably copyrighted, you might want to reconsider that.

Offline JApluto

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #46 on: Mar 27, 2007, 10:09 »
Everyone needs to hold on for one minute. First you got to have some time in, I think 5 years to be eligible to take the NRRPT. 2nd someone's got to sponser you, and then you got to know SOMETHING! If you can't pass the DOE core, I don't care at any DOE site, than forget the NRRPT! Much harder test. I agree with Gollnick. If morons keep lowering the bar in this industry, they might as well hire illegal aliens!
That's my 2 cents. I didn't have to take the core at Idaho(because I'm NRRPT), but I passed the site specific with only two hours study time. And the sad thing is I would get paid the same as the moron that needs three times to pass any test! That goes for commercial or DOE!
Know your stuff if you want to be in this business please!
So quit complaining about money!

Offline Tina

• Moderate User
  • Face wht your afraid of, Find out wht your made of
« Reply #47 on: Mar 27, 2007, 10:27 »
 ;) well thank you for your two cents much appreicated, however, I do know my stuff, considering I orignated in a Commercial Nuclear Power Plant in Illinois... and went into a Marssims project... then into a Gamma Spec position then back to Marssims I feel I've learned a little over the past few years... I had a lot of exstinuating cercumstances going on at the time of testing which is'nt an excuse but it did play its roll... the fact that other's were give a much needed break I guess and I was'nt seemd like splitting hairs however, It did happen... I never complained about that part but, I do have a problem with someone telling me I'll receive .485 cents per mile and not telling me of their outs for payment... and as I said before my past experience as been travel pay upon arrival... then all other pay upon timed worked ... per diem as a second check with first hourly wage check... and No Im may not be ready today for the NRRPT however, I will be at my five year mark... and I dont want to have any unforseen excuses at that time... see if I've learned nothing through all of this, I have learned to dot ALL my I's and cross All my T's beacuse someone else could leave some little tidbit out and I'd have to accept it you know like (not getting paid my travel pay experience).... by the way I did retake my DOE Core test the very next week and pasted it with my usual good score so I dont feel Im lacking much & considering my  past experiences...  ;) and there always room to learn more  8)

Valkrider

« Reply #48 on: Mar 27, 2007, 01:06 »
anybody else see the humor in the above rebuttal?

Time to let it go.  Just my $0.02
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2007, 01:08 by Valkrider »

alphadude

« Reply #49 on: Mar 27, 2007, 02:54 »
Let confusion be my epitath... who said that.... i ferget.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?