Career Path > Training, Tests & Education

graduating soon, considering nuclear career

(1/2) > >>

nocarbon:
hi all,

this is my first post, so thanks in advance for any replies. I have one semester remaining before i graduate with a BS in mechanical engineering from UF. As I begin narrowing in on the industry i want to work in, nuclear energy has become of interest to me. I took the POSS test during an FPL recruiting session a year ago and passed it, and have been contacted by FPL recruiters regarding non-licensed operator training after i graduate. so a few questions.

what opportunities are opened by passing the POSS test, and what does a non-licensed operator do?
What is the difference between a non-licensed and licensed operator, and what is the general career path of a new graduate with my degree?
what is to be expected in terms of general culture and conditions in the industry?

any advice is welcome.

thanks. 

thenuttyneutron:
Get 3 years of experience as a NLO and then you can go for an Instant SRO position.  NLO is a job that pays very well and can lead to getting a license from the NRC.  NLO are the people that operate the plant in the field.  The job entails performing tests on equipment, performing valve line-ups, possible breaker racking activities, and fire birgade duties.  To get a license you must go to RO/SRO class for 18-24 months and pass the class/final exams.  Licensed people are in the control room.

Roll Tide:
Before accepting a position with FP&L, scout out the area where you will be employed.
Talk to people that you will be working with (if your interview is at the plant, it will be close enough to the Training Center to talk to a current class as well as a Requal crew). Say "YES" to anything they offer to show you (simulator, plant tour, training center tour, etc.) There is no such thing as being too informed on taking a new position.

The mechanical engineering degree combined with NLO experience would put you in a very good position to pass SRO class.

I spent a few years at Turkey Point, as well as a couple of outages at St. Lucie.

jobsandwich:
why are you guys advised this person to take the slow road?
Do not take an NLO position, you are an engineer. Take an engineering position and if it's what you choose you can attend SRO school without three years turning valves. Engineering leads to SRO leads to management. Very few NLO's are degree'd

Roll Tide:
He didn't ask about Engineering positions. If he did, I would have told him to go NLO instead. With the turnover at that plant, he will be in SRO class less than 1 year after completion of NLO training. The NLO training will prepare him for a license class, a position in Engineering will not.

Getting the SRO leads to management

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version