Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Idaho National Lab (INEL)

Poll

INEL

Above Average
11 (17.2%)
Average
20 (31.3%)
Below Average
33 (51.6%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Idaho National Lab (INEL)  (Read 255896 times)

illegalsmile

Re: INEL (Idaho Falls)
« Reply #100 on: Jul 02, 2006, 04:43 »
I don't think it's a matter of poor bidding. CWI has bonus money for managers who come in under budget and let's face it, paying per diem costs a hefty chunk o' change. They obviously think the long term nature of the work will tempt a goodly number of people to stay on, even w/o p/d. I mean, after all, they haven't had a lay-off there since ...... well, in the last six months or so, right? ;)

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #101 on: Jul 02, 2006, 11:18 »
the house RCT jobs are currently internally posted. i haven't seen them myself, but i was informed of them by my manager. i'll be checking the intranet this week.
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

McNavy

« Reply #102 on: Jul 11, 2006, 08:57 »
House jobs have been posted internally for a while, but as of this morning none are listed.  House jobs here ROCK!  oh, wait, sorry.  They don't rock.  As one of the lucky ones to get laid off after the drum non-fire and rehired, there wasn't many choices at the time.  They picked it well, knowing that the outages weren't starting up for a while and many of us couldn't take off.  Just about the time the outages were starting back up, they hired us back in as house techs.  Relocation Bonus made it worthwhile at the time, but sudden loss of per diem means that all of us are slowly going broke.  Don't know if they are still offering a relo if you go house, still not worth it.  For those of you that pay attention to benefits, here is a company that is worse than Bartlett.  I personnally would like to see all you sub-contractor scums take off out of this place.  Getting sick of you taking up the break room.  ;D  That and maybe, just maybe, it would help these guys wake up. 

voodoo1

« Reply #103 on: Jul 11, 2006, 04:16 »
I think you may get your wish. bartlett posted more jobs today and even told the truth,(Accepting resumes for immediate positions at Idaho National Laboratory. Hours are 40 per week possible overtime.
Currently, these positions offer an hourly rate with per diem.
Effective August 28, 2006 per diem reverts to Federal Travel Rate for a maximum of 60 days on site.) so it seems as if the decissions have been made and PD is going away on the 28th. I do hope that us leaving, helps the folks that want to stay, for whatever reason, and your pd comes back soon. Just remember it is kinda hard to run this place with no RCT's, and they are not going to shutdown, so the next step would be to pay enough to get the RCT's back on site.

dirtbikeracer

« Reply #104 on: Jul 17, 2006, 05:22 »
I was one of the ARP's that got laid off about 7 months ago as well.  Really funny one there.  I was especially amused by the  "We're laying you off but coincidentally there are 20 house jobs open."  Any of you folks know how AMWTP is going?  How is the ARP going?  Just curious. Hope ya'll that went back are well.

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #105 on: Jul 18, 2006, 05:32 »
This may come as a big surprise, but I don't think theirs a whole lot of techs with a Pioneering Spirit!  Obviously if you're already being held prisoner in Idaho, about a thousand miles from civilization, the house jobs do have an appeal, but as McNavy summated, it isn't economically appealing!  Everybody seems to be mystified by the end of August date, for PD cut off?  It may be coincidental, but this date aligns with an anticipated large reduction of personnel, from a couple of other DOE facilities.  Obviously somebody is talking to somebody!

Nice comment McNavy, "Contractor Scum"......How soon we forget!  You are also a contractor, working for the prime contractor!  I'm sure it would be somewhat refreshing to pack up the car, drive a couple of thousand miles and be greeted by the likes of you!  Brings back memories of my last prostate exam!  Not to worry, I'm sure you will have plenty of seats in the breakroom, of course I don't know if you'll have time to sit in them!

Your Onemanship has obviously overwhelmed me and I wish you all the luck in the world!  So long as your luck holds out there, I know over here is a much nicer place!

Have a Great Day,

RG

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #106 on: Jul 18, 2006, 06:54 »
Nice comment McNavy, "Contractor Scum"......How soon we forget! 

RG, I could be wrong, but I think that was a joke.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #107 on: Jul 18, 2006, 07:26 »
Yes, he was joking. some people have problems seeing sarcasm in the printed word.

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

DesertRad

« Reply #108 on: Jul 19, 2006, 08:33 »
Mike, I tend to agree with you, McNavy's comments I believe were in jest

McNavy

« Reply #109 on: Jul 21, 2006, 12:37 »
To all you that I may have offended with my "subcontractor scum" comment.  To those that work with me, they know I am kidding. I apologize.  Get over it.  I would gladly go back with per diem than stay here and go broke as a house tech. And as for being a house tech, the WIFE and I are looking at going back to the NAVY as an option to get out of Idaho.  For those ex-nukes out there, the herd of goats isn't as much fun as being at sea after all.  House tech doesn't pay enough to go back sub contracting.

Fermi2

« Reply #110 on: Aug 05, 2006, 04:47 »
How much of the Naval Reactors Facility is left? Everytime I search online I can access the Environmental reports but I can never find the status of the actual facilities.

Mike

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #111 on: Aug 09, 2006, 10:16 »
Now the official news is out.

this takes effect August 28

all the jobs at the INL are long term. Per Diem is $95 a day for 60 days with reciepts.

if you have been here more that 60 days you will recieve no Per Diem.

Hourly pay is around 29.00 depending on with who you work. that's if you get all the benifits, if not, pay is more.

people are leaving, slots are opening, get in while you can

Valkrider

« Reply #112 on: Aug 10, 2006, 07:51 »
Now the official news is out.

this takes effect August 28

all the jobs at the INL are long term. Per Diem is $95 a day for 60 days with reciepts.

if you have been here more that 60 days you will recieve no Per Diem.

Hourly pay is around 29.00 depending on with who you work. that's if you get all the benifits, if not, pay is more.

people are leaving, slots are opening, get in while you can

I guess that's what we get for deciding to work and live in such a garden spot like Idaho.  It should be an interesting fall around here and I'm sure there are many beating the doors down to get one of the precious openings.

madhatter

« Reply #113 on: Aug 28, 2006, 07:06 »
It's too bad what has happened with the pay at INL. I called EG&G today and they are still paying $86.00 a day even for long term work on the Adavanced Mixed Waste Treatment Project. Unfortunately they had just filled the last opening. Oh well. Maybe next time.

Offline let-it-ride

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #114 on: Aug 28, 2006, 09:28 »
The folks at INL are really losing many Techs. At the RCT Facility, they are 21 Techs short!!  At another project, it was shut down last week and will be down for at least 6 months because the building is unsafe to work in.
The locals and people who want to stay aren't concerned because they have jobs.
The people who have been coming in stay because they have 4 weeks of training and just stay the 60 days that per diem is paid. After it stops, see ya. A training class started today and there is one on Sept 11. No more after that. (so far)
The attitude of some of the managers is don't be late, even by a minute, and make sure you only take 30 minutes for lunch.
The Bartlett coordinator left last week and today came back today with Marcom. Of course he is a local boy, nuff said.

paula

« Reply #115 on: Aug 29, 2006, 11:43 »
Does this apply to BBWI?

illegalsmile

« Reply #116 on: Aug 29, 2006, 03:07 »
It would appear that CWI has decided to cut costs and they're starting by putting the squeeze on the rent-a-techs. Hopefully it will come back to bite 'em and they'll see the foolishness of a penny-wise/pound-foolish policy.

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #117 on: Aug 29, 2006, 03:09 »
I do not think there is anything you can get for a penny a pound now-a-days!! Of course that is foolish!  ;) :P
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

illegalsmile

« Reply #118 on: Aug 29, 2006, 04:25 »
i think there is, Chief, but it's the same stuff the CWI beancounters are dumping on the people at INL for free :o

seahawk

« Reply #119 on: Aug 29, 2006, 05:08 »
whaaaaaa!!!

Blain

« Reply #120 on: Aug 29, 2006, 06:47 »
This place is not that bad but the drive sucks the winter sucks the road construction sucks and if you smoke or have a dog or a cat you better bring your own house with you I dont know how all the new Techs. will react when thay see that first check with out perdiem ................kinda like sticker shock ! ! wywywywhat !!!
Oh well CWI you'll get what you pay for !!
An un named trainer said that one of the new RCT canidates thanks that an isotope was something you say when you stump your toe !!!    hello.
Some the local RCT's are even baggin' ass
CWI will probably pay more  in Price Anderson Fines, Man Rem , over exposures and traning due to inexperienced tech's in the field than if thay just pony up, hell the power plants realize if you want experience you have to compensate .
CWI wants long term commitments but cant promise any long term job security in writing. Can I Get an Amen
out of the last 4 classes 50% of the tech's have gone DFR due to perdium issues hello !!

dirtbikeracer

« Reply #121 on: Aug 30, 2006, 03:22 »
I heard that they plan on pulling some of the locals off the street, give them some 2 week crash course, and turn 'em loose to fill the positions.  What facility did they shut down?  ARP?  It was a great place to work for a while, then went goofy.  Too bad too.  I'd love to go back, under better (per-diem, management) circumstances.

WADecay

« Reply #122 on: Aug 30, 2006, 06:44 »
A facility/project shut down, causing several techs to be re assigned to other projects, thus offsetting the the slots left open techs DFR. The D%D contractor has postponed the entry level core class for a few months. It truly is a differant world at INL, and you must be prepared to deal with various personalities, some good but most just wierd. And hey, if you were here and went to McGuire in a white car, you made a good move. White pants( saw her at the page) said to tell you hi!!! oh well, back to training zzzzzzzzzzzz

voodoo1

« Reply #123 on: Aug 31, 2006, 09:34 »
The "Page" was the best thing happening around Idaho Falls. Hey WAD if you see "White Pants" again tell her I said Hello. I think we all knew this Per Diem thing was coming and I find it hard to believe there were so many to stick around.
see ya, Elvis

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Re: INEEL
« Reply #124 on: Sep 01, 2006, 04:11 »
My first job was at INEL and I swore I'd never do another Idaho winter again...never got above freezing for three months straight...AND wind blew ALL the time.

Also, the 70 minute bus ride there and back every day got REALLY old.

That being said, the site itself (guess it's INEEL now?) was decent work...at least as far as government work goes.

OOPS! Never say "Never"...  ;)

20 years later I'm driving towards the INL with winter looming... :/
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?