Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Idaho National Lab (INEL)

Poll

INEL

Above Average
11 (17.2%)
Average
20 (31.3%)
Below Average
33 (51.6%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Idaho National Lab (INEL)  (Read 255887 times)

Atomic_Punk

Re: INEEL
« Reply #150 on: Feb 09, 2007, 02:35 »

Just remember what Rich used to say...  ;)

Used to say?  He still says it! ;)

asomo

Re: Idaho National Lab (INEL)
« Reply #151 on: Feb 09, 2007, 01:26 »
I am looking into working at the lab for an extended period and I was wondering if anyone could comment on child care facilities.  Is there one on site or do you have to use a facility in Idaho Falls?  Thanks! 

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #152 on: Feb 09, 2007, 01:57 »
Your best bet is to look into something in idaho falls....although be sure to check references and such I've seen a few not so nice things on the news about one local daycare but I dont recall its name. 

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Re: Idaho National Lab (INL)
« Reply #153 on: Feb 10, 2007, 11:57 »
I am looking into working at the lab for an extended period and I was wondering if anyone could comment on child care facilities.  Is there one on site or do you have to use a facility in Idaho Falls?  Thanks! 

Definitely nothing on site.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2007, 11:01 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline elwood

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #154 on: Feb 10, 2007, 02:30 »
There are several facilities in Idaho Falls, I beleive the one in the news was closed down.  Should not be a problem to find one though.  good luck

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #155 on: Feb 17, 2007, 10:56 »
Based on the recent job posting by Big-Blue, I'm assuming everyone north of the highway got their diem back...?
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

ladyinrad

« Reply #156 on: Feb 17, 2007, 11:14 »
Based on the recent job posting by Big-Blue, I'm assuming everyone north of the highway got their diem back...?

Yeah, read that posting yesterday....not sure about it since it did not specify a facility. Techs at AMWTP were notified yesterday that their per diem was being pulled in 60 days. Very interesting....anyone check on the job and find out the facility that was hiring?

Offline let-it-ride

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #157 on: Feb 17, 2007, 11:20 »
I also heard that even EG&G is meeting with the DOE next week and they expect to have their per diem either cut or taken away too.
It seems as if the government wants only house people and is now on a trip to start eliminating road techs.
Is this happening at other DOE sites? Or is just the start of things to come?

illegalsmile

« Reply #158 on: Feb 17, 2007, 09:26 »
I'm thinking that Marie x-1308 might know the answer.

alphadude

« Reply #159 on: Feb 19, 2007, 09:30 »
there isnt any support for perdiem on most gov jobs. If the job is expected to last over a year no perdiem planned for by the gov or the contractor. The road tech concept dont really fit into the DOE and IRS rules for perdiem.

Offline elwood

• Moderate User
« Reply #160 on: Feb 20, 2007, 10:59 »
OK couple of things per diem is not back north of the highway. 60 days thats it.  At amwtp DOE is pulling the plug on Diem not the company.  Bechtel is trying to stop it so that they don't lose 1/3 of their techs.  Final word this week.  keep your fingers crossed.

illegalsmile

« Reply #161 on: Feb 22, 2007, 02:16 »
there isnt any support for perdiem on most gov jobs. If the job is expected to last over a year no perdiem planned for by the gov or the contractor. The road tech concept dont really fit into the DOE and IRS rules for perdiem.
this is a true statement. If a job is expected to last 1 yr or more.....or even if it might, then IRS does not allow you to claim expenses for temp living and your employer is supposed to report EVERY CENT they pay you as earned income.
At Rocky Flats, after 1 yr we went on a taxed "subsistance" allowanc. Perhaps INL/CWI should look at doing that. It is kinda hard to argue that your job is permanant when your job is to tear down the place you're working.

Offline elwood

• Moderate User
« Reply #162 on: Feb 24, 2007, 05:38 »
Well it happened no mor diem at AMWTP.   >:(  The doe letter to that effect stated  "in the best interest of the U.S. government"
they just don't get it I guess.  No diem no see um. 

Offline tntplayer

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #163 on: Feb 25, 2007, 09:26 »
What are the working conditions like out there?  Are they hiring?  Who would one contact in order to obtain employment?  Is there a direct contact with the prime contractor that does the hiring of RCT's?

Offline elwood

• Moderate User
« Reply #164 on: Feb 25, 2007, 11:24 »
For contractors contact Bartlett, Marcom, or EG&G.  For house contact CWI throught www.inl.gov or Bechtel (BBWI)

Offline tntplayer

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #165 on: Feb 25, 2007, 03:37 »
Thanks for the info!!!  Would you recommend getting a job there?  Any other words of wisdom?

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #166 on: Feb 26, 2007, 03:01 »
What are the working conditions like out there?  Are they hiring?  Who would one contact in order to obtain employment?  Is there a direct contact with the prime contractor that does the hiring of RCT's?

So far from everyone I've spoken to that is employed by Marcom  really enjoy the experience compared to other staffing companies.  The contact info is available on the job boards. 

Offline elwood

• Moderate User
« Reply #167 on: Feb 26, 2007, 02:19 »
bartlett is bartlett, everyone prefers Marcom.  Eg&G only has amwtp, but has great benefits.  Work is DOE work, cold, windy and snowy in the winter.  If you like the outdoors life there is a lot of that here. 

Offline tntplayer

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #168 on: Feb 26, 2007, 04:22 »
Are they looking for people right now?  I have seen the postings for RCT's there but they say that they are collecting resumes.  Not really sure if there are any slots open.

DDD

« Reply #169 on: Feb 26, 2007, 04:30 »
TNT, Pick up the phone and gas up the RIG ( that's what they call their trucks out here )
Good luck hope to see you soon, We could use the help !

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #170 on: Feb 26, 2007, 09:33 »
I recommend Marcom. they were great for me. Marcella will give you the complete lowdown. if you like it once you get there then look into going house

I was there 18 months and met alot of great people and had a great time and the work was ok
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline tntplayer

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #171 on: Feb 27, 2007, 09:46 »
Thanks guys!!!  The rig is packed and gassed up.  Just waitin' for the word!!  Talked with Marcella, just waiting to hear back from her.

TWillis

Re: INEEL
« Reply #172 on: Apr 07, 2007, 09:28 »
Doin' time at the INL.  A good place for the outdoor life if youcan find time for it with all the driving/riding.  Not a great place for food or nightlife.  You might try Sneekers on Northgate for a great steak at a great price ($7.50) on Wednesdays.  For the young'ns Hip Hop DJ on the weekends.

RNN

« Reply #173 on: May 20, 2007, 10:33 »
Ok I have now been out here for the last couple of months and I have to tell you it is by far the most interesting site I have been to yet. The clean up of the waste pits are split into two areas, ran by the same company, and there is no communication between the two.

I'm working on the AMWTP side and working with what are known as the "One Year Wonders" because Bechtel has hired a bunch of folks that passed the core and after one year they pay them senior wages. Now don't get me wrong, I don't hold the wage thing against these folks and some of them do have a basic understanding of Radcon but I do have a problem when a one year " Senior " try’s to coach me on what I need to be doing (I have 16 yrs in btw ) and it happens often.

On the AMWTP side of the site everything is clean until proven dirty,we are digging up drums and boxes from Rocky Flats and The Mound dating back to the 60's - 80's and we wear a 1/2 mask only for IH concerns for Beryllium (which no Baseline is given unless you request it). So far they have been very lucky they haven't given someone an uptake.

As for the Area,  it's great if your the outdoor type of person, rent is cheap, food prices are about normal, allot of places to eat and I can buy beer on Sunday  :)

RNN

NC Bound

« Reply #174 on: May 21, 2007, 02:04 »
I have been here 15 months and have one thing to say.  If you can go anywhere else go.  This place is a black hole.  No decent restaurants, only a couple of decent bars, no nightlife worth anything, Mormons own most of everything so a majority of the stores are not open on Sundays, a couple of theaters that are at best so-so, a 70 minute drive on one of the sh--est roads known to man that supports thousands of vehicles a day, and the worst drivers anywhere and I have lived in over 30 states, no perdiem, and some very, very questionable people in some strategic positions.  What a hole!!!!!!!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?