Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Idaho National Lab (INEL)  

Poll

INEL

Above Average
11 (17.2%)
Average
20 (31.3%)
Below Average
33 (51.6%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Idaho National Lab (INEL)  (Read 255881 times)

Valkrider

Re: Idaho National Lab (INEL)
« Reply #175 on: May 21, 2007, 02:14 »
I have been here 15 months and have one thing to say.  If you can go anywhere else go.  This place is a black hole.  No decent restaurants, only a couple of decent bars, no nightlife worth anything, Mormons own most of everything so a majority of the stores are not open on Sundays, a couple of theaters that are at best so-so, a 70 minute drive on one of the sh--est roads known to man that supports thousands of vehicles a day, and the worst drivers anywhere and I have lived in over 30 states, no perdiem, and some very, very questionable people in some strategic positions.  What a hole!!!!!!!

hahaha...the best laugh today.  thanks for your honesty!!

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #176 on: May 21, 2007, 06:10 »
I have been here 15 months and have one thing to say.  If you can go anywhere else go.  This place is a black hole.  No decent restaurants, only a couple of decent bars, no nightlife worth anything, Mormons own most of everything so a majority of the stores are not open on Sundays, a couple of theaters that are at best so-so, a 70 minute drive on one of the sh--est roads known to man that supports thousands of vehicles a day, and the worst drivers anywhere and I have lived in over 30 states, no perdiem, and some very, very questionable people in some strategic positions.  What a hole!!!!!!!

I haven't been there since 1972 but it does not sound that much different. By the way the roads usually get worse in the spring when the frost boils open new holes in the roads.

LaFeet

« Reply #177 on: May 23, 2007, 06:22 »
Are they still wearing guns on their hips out there.... I remeber freaking out when several guys walked into K Mart in front of me that way... of course , that was in the early 80s

RNN

« Reply #178 on: Jul 23, 2007, 02:06 »
Well Bechtel has managed to shut down shipments to the WIPP nation wide. It seems that a drum that had not been assayed and had liquid in it was over packed and sent to NM and now is in the salt mine 139 rows back from the face. WIPP is in the process of writing a procedure to retrieve this drum and send it back and the AMWTP is in the process of inventorying 30,000 plus drums to see if anymore have been sent.

The contract for Bechtel is up in May 2008 and I would think this will impact thier chances to renew it.

RNN

Offline Mike_Koehler

• Heavy User
  • I love nukeworker.com!!!!
« Reply #179 on: Jul 24, 2007, 01:21 »
Be careful what you wish for.......Folks at the lazy H used to wish for Bechtel to leave. Once it happened people realized that it wasn't all the company's fault........

Mike
"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented
  immigrant" is like calling a drug
  dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist."
unknown
"If you seal the borders and you stop giving federal benefits to people who are in the country illegally... many of them will simply go home."
Lou Barletta, Mayor of Hazelton, Pa.

Fermi2

« Reply #180 on: Jul 24, 2007, 02:12 »
Are they still wearing guns on their hips out there.... I remeber freaking out when several guys walked into K Mart in front of me that way... of course , that was in the early 80s

Stockmans, down by the stockyards. In 1985 if you didn't walk in there with a gun they'd issue you one. One night a squid from my class walked in there with a pink shirt and got his A** royally kicked.

Remember The Hub? How about that bar on the other side of the river that had the Harley hanging from the ceiling?

Great place, great times.

Mike

RNN

« Reply #181 on: Jul 24, 2007, 05:09 »
Be careful what you wish for.......Folks at the lazy H used to wish for Bechtel to leave. Once it happened people realized that it wasn't all the company's fault........

Mike

Not wishing for anything here Mike just an observation  :) I don't work for Bechtel so it makes no difference to me one way or the other

RNN

Offline Mike_Koehler

• Heavy User
  • I love nukeworker.com!!!!
« Reply #182 on: Jul 24, 2007, 05:18 »
Nothing meant by my observation other than the grass isn't always greener.....
"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented
  immigrant" is like calling a drug
  dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist."
unknown
"If you seal the borders and you stop giving federal benefits to people who are in the country illegally... many of them will simply go home."
Lou Barletta, Mayor of Hazelton, Pa.

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #183 on: Sep 10, 2007, 04:07 »
I am looking into working at the lab for an extended period and I was wondering if anyone could comment on child care facilities.  Is there one on site or do you have to use a facility in Idaho Falls?  Thanks! 

I know the need isnt as urgent but I just recently found a listing of reviews of local daycares on idahofallz.com which could definitely help someone

RNN

« Reply #184 on: Nov 16, 2007, 02:27 »
Well the vote is in.

The AMWTP side of the fence at INL has voted in the Union, Brotherhood of Operating Engineers local 302 ( I think it is, could be wrong about the local ). I hope the techs get a good deal by this but 350+ operaters to about 80 techs is not a good thing seeing as ops thinks we are overpaid as it is.

I'm a contractor so I don't care one way or the other about the Union but I see my time in Idaho might be getting shorter.

RNN

ExplorerOne

« Reply #185 on: Mar 12, 2008, 05:21 »
I'm considering working for EG&G there as an RCT. Could anyone tell me about how they are to work for there?  Thanks, J

madhatter

« Reply #186 on: Mar 12, 2008, 05:42 »
I worked for them for three years in Ohio and I've been with them in Idaho at AMWTP
for a year and a half. The benefits are great and the checks are on time. The Site Manager
is honest, laid back and dosen't mess with the techs but is always there if you need something.
No complaints from me...

RNN

« Reply #187 on: Mar 12, 2008, 06:16 »
This is my first gig with EG&G and I so far have no complaints. Checks are on time, money is good and if you don't create waves the site coordinator is easy to get along with.

Offline Bingo

• Rad Supervisor
  • Light User
  • GO Cubs !!!
« Reply #188 on: May 06, 2008, 06:28 »
This just released today. Just East of the INEEL. 18 miles West of Idaho Falls.  http://www.areva.com/servlet/cp_06_05_2008-c-PressRelease-cid-1209581724309-en.html

rjjohnson83404

« Reply #189 on: May 06, 2008, 07:42 »
..and it's gonna be great!

Offline uRiaL

• BELIEVING RCT
  • Moderate User
  • God knows the path I take......
« Reply #190 on: Sep 01, 2008, 01:36 »
 ;Djust arrived to idaho falls,i'm not mormon but a believer in God,no crime,no litter,.if you can actually see the green earth GOD has created it can't be bad.Some times its good to be quiet and  hear.(those who understand will understand) 
I thank  GOD for you with every remembrance of you.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Re: Idaho National Lab (INL)
« Reply #191 on: Mar 15, 2009, 11:09 »
Did INL get a chunk of the stimulus package? 

(I saw the usual suspects are advertising for contractors...is that additional work starting, or just normal attrition replacement?)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

longbow55

« Reply #192 on: Mar 15, 2009, 07:06 »
No, just more of the same work.  Digging up legacy waste.  No overtime, 60 miles one way twice a day. If it's your thing?

go.nukes

« Reply #193 on: Mar 16, 2009, 06:04 »
I just talked to the EG&G Site Coordinator at AMWTP. They have April 6th report dates for techs. with current qualifications. They are waiting for Bechtel to give them start dates for first timers to AMWTP.

RNN

« Reply #194 on: Mar 16, 2009, 10:08 »
Ok here is the deal with the AMWTP

I worked for EG&G for over a year there and it wasn't a bad gig and the money wasn't bad.

Bechtel decided that subs had to go and if you wanted to stay you had to roll house and for me that would have been a Major pay cut so I left along with most of the techs that had any experience.

Now they are rehiring subs at less than I was hired for and until they get the diem restructured it's still only 86/day with recipets for two months and in my opinion you will have less than a year there until the subs go away again. I could be wrong and for those thinking of going there I hope I am.

EG&G did me right while I was there and I would work for them again but wait a bit folks if you are thinking of going there and let them get the Diem issue fixed.

RNN

go.nukes

« Reply #195 on: Mar 18, 2009, 09:06 »
RNN,
 I agree. If you're interested in going to AMWTP wait until they have their pay restructuring resolved. Current pay is. Hourly wage, hourly bonus and $86.00 a day for 60 days (no receipts). Bartlett and Marccom are trying to get a pay increase here on the cleanup side too but still no word. We can only keep our fingers crossed that the rates go up to where they should be. I agree with you in regards to EG&G too. I've only worked for them once but they treated me good and they have good Bennie's.

Offline uRiaL

• BELIEVING RCT
  • Moderate User
  • God knows the path I take......
« Reply #196 on: Apr 02, 2009, 07:07 »
Valkrider,stayed at INEEL FOR  6 months.Biggest issue I saw was drunk drivers.Istill think  the area is quiet and a lot safer than some areas.I would like to say sheltered.
I thank  GOD for you with every remembrance of you.

Evl_Twn

« Reply #197 on: Apr 15, 2009, 11:51 »
Hey guys,

new to this site, not new to the whole navy nuke thing. I'm currently on my way of processing out, decided the navy just wasn't me and had a couple questions about INL. How is it working out there? I know about the bus ride every morning and evening and that don't bother me, i'm more concerned of what kind of jobs are out there for someone like me just coming out of the navy, qualified EWS on an ohio class sub. I do plan to attend ISU to finish my degree in NE but want to know what is out there and what i may expect.

Appreciate the responses

decibel

« Reply #198 on: Jun 18, 2009, 02:02 »
Just applied through Bartlett. Quite a handsome hiring package in place. Check out their posting. I'm considering taking this job. I currently work at Sandia National Labs and have worked for LANL, so I'm used to the Gov't/DOE sites.

Anybody have any words of advice on this site? Town? What to expect.... I have over 6 years experience with DOE sites, and have *pretty* much seen and done it all, even if it was just a little or for a short period of time.

Any feedback would be great! Thanks!

RNN

« Reply #199 on: Jun 18, 2009, 03:27 »
If you read the other posts on this thread you will find all the answers you want on the area, the good points, and bad points.

I do not know what project you would be working on but can tell you if you live in the larger towns your commute will be 120 miles/day round trip.

RNN

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?