Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu help me become an hp! honeypot

Author Topic: help me become an hp!  (Read 17281 times)

jess.addison

help me become an hp!
« on: Mar 23, 2007, 12:52 »
Hi, Although I am 21 years old and have very little college credit, and no experience with health physics, or the nuclear world. My husband is a MOV tech, he works for AMES and TELEDYNE, And my dad is a plumber and an electrician, and he also does wells and septic systems, if any of that would help me i do have experience in those areas, and also hold an apprentice electricians license for texas.  I would like to become a hp so that i could work on the road with my husband. Maybe a job with Bartlett or something. Anyway, I need to know how to get the job, is it possible with no experience and no degree? Im willing to start at the bottom and work my way up, if anyone knows the answers to any of my questions please let me know.
Thank you

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
Re: help me become an hp!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2007, 09:01 »
Call 800-225-0385.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2007, 09:52 »
Call 800-225-0385.
yeah, what he said.  i'd talk wit eric bartlett there, he is a genuine person, based on his postings here.  tell him the what, why, and wherefor of your employement search 'n iffen anybuddy can find a slot for you at a outage where yer hubby will be, it should be him.
be prepared to do labor work.  lots of hp have started in the biz as decon workers.  this is labor intensive, not necessarilly brain strain.  but it's a start and give the opportunity to work up the ladder.  good luck.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2007, 02:45 »
Well start off in decontamination...get your feet wet and see if you could handle or even want to swing a meter.  Knowledge  and appreciation of decon would make you a more solid HP if you were to become one down the road. 

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2007, 03:20 »
Well start off in decontamination...get your feet wet...

Bad combination of statements there.  :D
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2007, 03:29 »
ooops!  well you know what I ment ;)

Offline elwood

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2007, 09:53 »
Starting from the bottom up has made some really good techs, alot of work and time, but it can be done.  Some tech schools are offering entry training.  I do not know how this corresponds into a job, but maybe worth looking into.
Good Luck

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2007, 11:39 »
I started as a deconner...

My last job was a Rad engineer, writing a report to the NRC getting Yankee Rowe's liscense terminated.  ... The previous time I worked at Rowe I was a deconner... you have to love the irony...  Full circle... etc

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2007, 03:07 »
I started as a deconner...

My last job was a Rad engineer, writing a report to the NRC getting Yankee Rowe's liscense terminated.  ... The previous time I worked at Rowe I was a deconner... you have to love the irony...  Full circle... etc

Use a spell checker when you send that report mike! ;D

Decon was the path i took as well..now i got me one of them house tech jobs! ;)

jess.addison

« Reply #9 on: Mar 26, 2007, 09:51 »
Thank you for your reply. by chance do you know the names or the web sites of the schools that offer the training you mentioned?
Jess

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #10 on: Mar 27, 2007, 09:39 »
Thank you for your reply. by chance do you know the names or the web sites of the schools that offer the training you mentioned?
Jess
hover yer icon over da 'training' tab at da top of this page, some training sites will show up to be chosen.  google 'nrrpt' 'n check out training sites for that test.  etc.

allforthenukie

« Reply #11 on: Mar 29, 2007, 09:59 »
Contact the Atlantic Group

Atlantic
Norfolk Commerce Park
5426 Robin Hood Road
Norfolk, VA 23513

Tel:  800.332.0058
Fax: 757.233.7541

They have been staffing "Apprentice" Junior RP Techs to our outages fresh off the streets with no experience or education. They get trained and put to work doing very basic simple RP outage stuff such as checkpoint watch Etc, ussually assisting a more experienced Junior RP. The pay probably isn't that great but it's a start in the Nuke business, a First Job in the biz. Pay yer dues as a Junior RP for a few years and when you make the Senior grade the pay goes way up.

Getting that First Nuke Job was the hardest part for me to break into the business, starting out with no education, very little experience and nobody on the inside to pull strings for me. I started as a nonunion contracter doing decontamination and hot laundry. Now, years later, I'm a fulltime senior RP house tech.

I should also say that so far every single one of the "Apprentice Junior RPs" I've seen at our plant just happen to be the girlfriends of Senior RP techs. Coincidence? No! There's no denying that getting into a good nuclear RP job with no education/experience is almost impossible without some help from friends or family on the inside to help hook you up. Sounds like you have family working on the inside, see if they can help.

Also consider starting out in a Decontamination job as a start. The big thing is to get in, hit the road, work some outages and start building a resume. Then the rentatech employers start calling YOU offering jobs!

Hope it helps.

Allforthenukie

vikingfan

« Reply #12 on: Mar 29, 2007, 10:24 »
Have you considered any other trades and i use that literally such as general labor, scaffold erectors, decon, refuel techs, valves ect ??? the financial payoff is not as long as the hp trade just a little food for thought !

Offline snowman

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 29, 2007, 12:50 »
What about becoming an MOV like your husband? Most husband-wife teams in this trade are either both hp's, both deconners, or a combination thereof. Companies that employ these types of craft like knowing they can get two birds with one call.

I'd look at almost any other trade but health physics right now. Ya, the rental tech companies might call you after you have a couple of jobs under your belt or even with an entry level job offer, but your chances of lining up assignment after assignment with your husband's jobs are slim to none, and slim just left town.

Sorry to rain on this parade, but the outage jobs just aren't there like they were 20 years ago, and in spite of what was said earlier in this thread, the phone doesn't ring off the hook even for the experienced techs who still do these outages. There's simply too many people competing for too few assignments. And those assignments generally ain't worth going to anymore. The 4-6 month outages have been replaced by 4-6 week outages. This radiation rent-a-tech industry is a shell of what it was 20 years ago.

I'll climb off my soap box now. If that still hasn't talked you out of it, try looking at one of the 2yr schools for a degree. And get every cert you can, anything to set you apart. Good Luck.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #14 on: Mar 30, 2007, 09:02 »
jess.addison..... mebbe iffen ya post da next outage yer interested in, sumbuddy kin help yinz git in.

jess.addison

« Reply #15 on: Apr 01, 2007, 06:53 »
well im still trying to become an hp, and i would really like to get on before the up coming whoops/columbia job. if anyone can help on this please reply
thanks

Halcyon Daze

« Reply #16 on: Apr 02, 2007, 12:12 »
Go to www.bartlettinc.com and find out which recruiter is handling the staffing of that job. Then call them at 1-800-225-0385.....and send Eric come candy  ;)

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #17 on: Apr 02, 2007, 07:08 »
If you are wanting to do it, you can do it.  This field is in a prime position for new people coming in.  I have tried to stir interest in  some of my younger family members.  There are some great things about being a HP and the future looks good.  I will say that there are a lot of less gratifing ways to spend your time.  Bartlett or Atlan...never mind, call Bartlett.   ;D
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
« Reply #18 on: Apr 03, 2007, 12:27 »
well im still trying to become an hp, and i would really like to get on before the up coming whoops/columbia job. if anyone can help on this please reply
thanks
Well..it's a little late for that...we are pretty well staffed..Better luck getting in next outage..maybe a little more time under your belt will help too.

LaFeet

« Reply #19 on: Jun 03, 2007, 06:34 »
Get hold of the outage schedule and start calling at least three months ahead of time.  Be honest, but be persistent.

Good luck

Offline gammaman30

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #20 on: Jun 03, 2007, 08:43 »
Jess sounds like you are over qualified for the job. You might want to go for a Rad Engineer Job. HP techs are not too smart.Good Luck

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #21 on: Jun 03, 2007, 12:17 »
Since I didn't see any smilies I'll presume that you're serious.  How about reviewing the code of conduct?  Thanks.http://www.nukeworker.com/policy/code_of_conduct.shtml 
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

wlrun3@aol.com

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?