Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Senior Pay Scale  

Author Topic: Senior Pay Scale  (Read 25595 times)

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
Senior Pay Scale
« on: Mar 24, 2007, 08:08 »
Is it FAIR for a 20 year Senior with loads of experience to be paid the same as a tech who is working his first job as A Senior?
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Re: Senior Pay Scale
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2007, 09:25 »
Hell No!
They ought to pay the kid twice as much because he can actually climb the ladder to do the survey.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2007, 09:37 »
Fair is a loaded word.  Surely the 20 year tech has more experience. But are they a better?   I've worked with a few techs with lots of experience that weren't worth a good Jr.  So how do you quanitfy good tech vs experience?  Performance reviews?  We've all seen problems with that too.
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

alphadude

« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2007, 10:09 »
when you apply for the same job -20 year or 20 day -its still the same job- and the pay is the pay- if you are a 20 year sr you should be looking into engineering or alara- those ladders get higher every year.  why should somebody get extra pay for a non-union-non seniority building job?  business is business

ageoldtech

« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2007, 11:54 »
In ALARA the blankets do not get lighter with age!

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2007, 12:11 »
Hell No!
They ought to pay the kid twice as much because he can actually climb the ladder to do the survey.

HA!!
Good one!
No doubt...doesn't even have to be a kid....Got hosed like that at SSES a couple years back..really opened my eyes...i ain't no kid but i ain't in my 50's yet

illegalsmile

« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2007, 08:16 »
That would depend on whether or not the job expectations were the same. Also, as others have pointed out, there are a lot of 20 yr techs who ain't worth a piece of used toilet paper.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2007, 12:01 »
In ALARA the blankets do not get lighter with age!
Your right.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

ulsbya

« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2007, 12:11 »
they should have steps.. I am new to the nucluear way {crane operator}, I have worked one outage in Monticello, Mn and already drug up {along with others} after 3 and a half weeks of there bulls**t, checks not right, cuts in hours, mandatory days off after being promised 7.. 12's dont head to monticello if anybody is a boomer 

Sincerely,

al
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2007, 01:48 by Nuclear NASCAR »

Offline Radconrob

• Very Lite User
« Reply #9 on: Mar 26, 2007, 01:15 »
A 10 yr Senior will get $45 hr with Nelson Nuclear.  He has a post in Nuke News under Nelson Nuclear Cooperation if you have questions.  You might want to check it out if you are tired of the current wages.  I think he is currently getting contracts and is accepting resumes.  It is worth a shot.
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2007, 06:48 »
Rock is a standup guy.  I just don't see a lot of opportunities to work for him.  Has he posted any jobs?  If so, I'm game.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

illegalsmile

« Reply #11 on: Mar 26, 2007, 08:19 »
I don't know Rock. I looked for his ad in NN and couldn't find it. I called his number this afternoon......got voicemail, no call back yet. It sounds real good.

Offline HenryBlack

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #12 on: Mar 27, 2007, 10:01 »
Post his phone or address and fax. I'll be interested in talking to a new Brand X.

Offline Radconrob

• Very Lite User
« Reply #13 on: Mar 27, 2007, 01:16 »
If he has the resumes he can bid for more contracts.  When I talked to him he was in the process of getting some contracts.  You may want to give him a call at 509-539-4902.  His forum topic is in Nuke News, scroll down to Nelson Nuclear Cooperation, and open that.  I just looked and it was there.  He does have a web site www.nelsonnuclear.com . It looks like it is still under construction but you can submit your resume.  I don't know the money sounds good and it is worth a shot.  It can't hurt.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #14 on: Mar 27, 2007, 01:29 »
If he has contracts, he should post his jobs in the job board, other wise, this is an unauthorized advertisement, and fishing for resumes without a contract.  Technician beware.  $45/hr for an RCT/HPT?  If it sounds too good to be true, it is.  When he posts a job in the job board, I'll believe it.  When he calls me with an offer, I'll believe it.  Untill then, its just a bunch of smoke.

"If he gets resumes, he can bid it"... Hell there are about 2,000 HPT/RCT resumes in our database.  Every HPT/RCT job posting gets over 1,000 views a month.

Having the resumes isn't the problem.  Getting a contract that pays TWICE what anyone else will staff it for is the problem.  You'll get more people than you can handle if you get ONE contract.  Techs would drag up for that pay diff.

Lets stop blowing smoke now, ok?

alphadude

« Reply #15 on: Mar 27, 2007, 02:50 »
interesting web page- a picture of the ROCK... and blank spaces--and as Mr. Rennhack knows presentation is EVERTHING.. so ROCK if ya's wants to play- make it purty- finish the web page..As someone that evaluates viable partners, I look at their webpage first- no web page -HELLO this is the 21st century, a single web page that is well done- usually mom and pop operation with one or two contracts, multiple webpages with portals- they gots sum money... soooo as I said presentation is everything-especially in a smokey room.

Gonzo

« Reply #16 on: Mar 27, 2007, 03:29 »
Is it FAIR for a 20 year Senior with loads of experience to be paid the same as a tech who is working his first job as A Senior?

to quote claude, "Does he have 20 years experience?  Or 1 year experience, 20 times?"

Always wanted to use that quote....   finally got to..

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #17 on: Mar 27, 2007, 08:52 »
A 10 yr Senior will get $45 hr with Nelson Nuclear.  He has a post in Nuke News under Nelson Nuclear Cooperation if you have questions.  You might want to check it out if you are tired of the current wages.  I think he is currently getting contracts and is accepting resumes.  It is worth a shot.
Sign me up!

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: Mar 27, 2007, 08:57 »
If he has contracts, he should post his jobs in the job board, other wise, this is an unauthorized advertisement, and fishing for resumes without a contract.  Technician beware.  $45/hr for an RCT/HPT?  If it sounds too good to be true, it is.  When he posts a job in the job board, I'll believe it.  When he calls me with an offer, I'll believe it.  Untill then, its just a bunch of smoke.

"If he gets resumes, he can bid it"... Hell there are about 2,000 HPT/RCT resumes in our database.  Every HPT/RCT job posting gets over 1,000 views a month.

Having the resumes isn't the problem.  Getting a contract that pays TWICE what anyone else will staff it for is the problem.  You'll get more people than you can handle if you get ONE contract.  Techs would drag up for that pay diff.

Lets stop blowing smoke now, ok?

I was trying to be polite (not my style, I know) but I really have to agree with Mike 100%.  Rock may have the best of intentions, but no actual contracts.  How many do you think he can get at those prices?  Even worse, how long can he survive in business if he actually does get some contracts?  This is one of those times when you have to say, "be careful what you wish for ..."

Maybe $45/hour looks good until you realize that they will be having a layoff after the first week.  A tech could go hungry that way.

Face it, a 10 year Sr. HP is just not properly priced $45 per hour.  Worth that much?  That's a different question.  Rock's apparent philosophy is that you can pick from the very best if you pay more than anyone else.  The problem is that nobody is willing to pay for the best when the average will do.  In a business where "80% is as good as 100" who is going to pay more to get a lot of 95's?  

Look around all the threads on NW.  You'll see an awful lot of talk about HP's placing a higher value on working at a specific plant or getting their girlfriends a job as a firewatch or their brother a slot as a deconner than things like pay rates.  As long as BS like that has ANY value at all, the money simply will not be forthcoming.  Period.  No, I mean really P-E-R-I-O-D.  

All you 95% techs can just kiss goodbye any hope of getting paid what you are really worth because there are too many who are willing to trade off for a chance to work at their favorite plant, which they will get as long as they can retain 80% of the required knowledge for the hour it takes to take the exam.

If you want to make more money, find a job where it actually matters that you are really good at it.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #19 on: Mar 27, 2007, 09:08 »

no, it ain't fair.  duz it happen?  every freeking day.  whatcha gonna due?
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #20 on: Mar 27, 2007, 09:23 »

And that picture sucks, can you take a picture with a real camera, and not a cell phone?

hay, c'mon.  itza brandy nue sight.  159 visiters.  eye yam gonna give hymn a resume when eye kin find won.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Radconrob

• Very Lite User
« Reply #21 on: Mar 27, 2007, 11:39 »
I didn't realize posting in a Q&A forum with information I found within this website was advertisement.  I thought this was an open forum for Q&A.  I saw the post for Nelson Nuclear in a forum and relayed that information to others, how would I know about who paid who for what advertisement on this website.  That has nothing to do with me talking about what is already in these forums.  So if you think my intent was to advertise for someone elses company I am sorry, because I just swing meters not advertisement.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #22 on: Mar 28, 2007, 02:35 »
I didn't realize posting in a Q&A forum with information I found within this website was advertisement.  I thought this was an open forum for Q&A.  I saw the post for Nelson Nuclear in a forum and relayed that information to others, how would I know about who paid who for what advertisement on this website.  That has nothing to do with me talking about what is already in these forums.  So if you think my intent was to advertise for someone elses company I am sorry, because I just swing meters not advertisement.
Calm down.  Everything is ok.

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #23 on: Mar 28, 2007, 06:31 »
This would probably depend on whether these disparante techs are performing the same tasks.  If so, then yes it is fair, much as a first year journeyman carpenter and a 20 year man who are both erecting scaffolding in containment.  Perhaps it would be less fair if the two techs were doing different level jobs, say the first year senior was taking care of the S/G platform and the 20 year tech was taking care of the entire elevation.  But, I imagine that those two job classifications do pay the same rate.

illegalsmile

« Reply #24 on: Mar 29, 2007, 05:25 »
....or if, as I have recently seen, a 5 yr tech covering the refuel floor and a 15 yr tech watching the PCM's and frisking out tools.....should the 5 yr tech be paid more?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?