Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Getting out of the navy soon- I dont know what to do!
honeypot

Author Topic: Getting out of the navy soon- I dont know what to do!  (Read 9931 times)

victoria1368

Hey everyone,
I am a Nuke MM3, Ive been in the navy a little over 3 yrs and am waiting for a parental discharge (basically i am a single mom and am not world wide deployable so out i go) i want a good job, and im not picky, ill do anything relly as long as the money is good. i just dont know where to start, ive never had to write a resume and not sure how to translate all of our training and experiences into the civilian world if anyone can give me some ideas of jobs to look for or examples of resumes that would be a great help!!!
thanks much in advance!

dav8

Re: Getting out of the navy soon- I dont know what to do!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2007, 09:03 »
Have you been to SEPS yet?  That should help out with the resume writing.  Other than that, talk to headhunters for job hunting.  Bradley Morris is the biggest ex-military headhunter.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2007, 06:45 »
Have you been to SEPS yet?  That should help out with the resume writing.  Other than that, talk to headhunters for job hunting.  Bradley Morris is the biggest ex-military headhunter.

Recruiters are great, but they do have an agenda.

They make money off you taking their job.

Make sure you do your homework.

Feel free to ask anything here about any job offer you get.

R/ JMK

Mitch257

« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2007, 04:05 »
First, figure out what you really want to do - you are more likely to get hired if you apply for a specific position, and owe it to yourself and to the job to find one you are really interested in.  As an MM, what did you like/not like about your job, did you like maintenance or ops better?  What location do you want, or do you care?  Are you OK with shift work, moving around for outage work, overtime, or do you want a regular-hours day job?  All are out there, no surprise that the shift/outage work pays more because it's harder.. 8)

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2007, 04:28 »
Umm... not sure they are around anymore.  ;)

Justin

Offline Len61

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2007, 06:56 »
First, figure out what you really want to do - you are more likely to get hired if you apply for a specific position, and owe it to yourself and to the job to find one you are really interested in.  As an MM, what did you like/not like about your job, did you like maintenance or ops better?  What location do you want, or do you care?  Are you OK with shift work, moving around for outage work, overtime, or do you want a regular-hours day job?  All are out there, no surprise that the shift/outage work pays more because it's harder.. 8)

A 3 year nuke probably has little to no experience with either the ops or maintance side of how things really are in the fleet, maybe a year in the fleet, part of that spent in RT div.
That being said, the door is open if you want to work shift work (and make good money as an AUO), day shift job may more difficult. Best of luck in your search.

ddklbl

« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2007, 07:48 »
Victoria,

I am going to go on the assumption that your child was a surprise (If not, then I would have to assume your motives for a child are nefarious).  I'd rather not assume anything, regardless, you need to figure out what you want to do.  You have a family now.  The navy is going to release you because you are unable to provide adequate dependent care while otherwise busy.  Will you be able to provide adequate care outside of the Navy?  You are going to need work (i.e. money) but you're also going to need time.  Just as the navy had demands for your time and service, so will a new employer. 

You say you need help because you don't know where to start.  You decide where to start.  To do so, you need to ask yourself hard questions.  First figure out where you are in you life now.  Next figure out where you want to go.  Then ask your specific questions.

Best of luck.  Enjoy the holidays with your newborn.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?