Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu H.P. HALL OF FAME what if? ???

Poll

Where would you put the first HP hall of fame and who would be in the first 10 people to be inducted and why

Chicago University
23 (31.9%)
T M I
22 (30.6%)
Plymouth
6 (8.3%)
nevada test site
6 (8.3%)
Hiroshima and Nagasaki
3 (4.2%)
Los  Alamos
12 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: H.P. HALL OF FAME what if? ???  (Read 92827 times)

RADBASTARD

H.P. HALL OF FAME what if? ???
« on: Mar 31, 2007, 07:46 »
We all know people over are long careers who were characters and legends,so lets hear who you would induct and why?
Where would you like to put the hall also?
Please be kind so nothing gets deleted.
I want to hear of some different people besides your getz's and boogers.
Lets have fun with this!

shovelheadred

Re: H.P. HALL OF FAME what if? ???
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2007, 08:02 »
,,SPANKEE McFARLAND.house tech for Oconee startup in 72'.....been a rent-a-tech since the early 70's...he should be grandfathered in because of that,,,,he got alot of techs started in this business from the Toccoa, Ga,,Oconee,SC area..worked Turkey Point prior to the S/G replacement..first ALARA rent-a-tech  I met in the Duke system..bout 87'.....he had his troubles like all of us,,prior to 1990...thought we had lost him....then he shows back up wearing a safety hardhat.....Thats why he needs to be in the hall of fame.....he came back from the isle of doom, to standout in the safety field, as a Certified Safety Professional...red

RADBASTARD

« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2007, 08:19 »
1#I would have to vote for the late bill mahoney.I met him in 82 at salem I think,and he taught be the ropes early about being a road tech,especially drinking.
I remember we were on nights he would have been drinking during the day and finding the best places to sleep at work."under the S/G table in the bio shield.
God I miss the 80's!!!
He was very smart tech.I was a house tech back then.

2#Then there is Captain Neutron aka mike neuroth.I remember him in the early 80's at salem,when he use to move rad trash and wear a hard hat with a red flashing light on it.We use to die laughing and his ollie and lena jokes.
you can buy his hat on his web site I think?
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2007, 06:32 by RadBastard »

Offline elwood

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2007, 12:04 »
ahh  Captain Neutron, worked with him at fernald.
what about Mike Getz??? talk about a legend :) and all of it true. ???

Offline hoghunter

• Moderate User
  • I have often regretted my speech, never my silence
« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2007, 01:18 »
I agree with SPANKY,but I have been around and met some good techs. I could make a long list of Techs that have  had an impact, but to single out  a few wouldn't be fair to the rest.
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand

Online Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 2007, 01:57 »
   Perhaps a number of categories would be important. Such as the Most Colorful (to be tactful), Biggest Contribution (company owners, authors, etc.) and Best Coworker ( someone you always look forward to working with). CFCC and Anapolis (IRM) are also locations that could be considered for the HPHoF (Hip Hof) though we now live in a world with a diminished importance of the sense of place. In this internet world a web site may the place to locate a shrine to transient rad workers. Realistically who would be the governing body (Nukeworker Gold Members?). Rennhack could be put up for a couple of these categories. Any volunteers?

P.S. Its Apr 1st

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 2007, 06:13 »
Now this is the type of thread that could go on forever!  I have never really figured out why the HP arena has so many colorful people.  It seems of all the traveling trades the HP's are the most interesting in terms of diversified personalities.  I have met the most interesting people on the road, one of the reasons I love my job so much.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 2007, 07:47 »
Well here are my nominees and their category:

Most one-liners: Spanky McFarlane

Cribbage Board King: Henry "Deal 'Em" Black

Best Party Host: Tied between Bobby & Gary Leonard

Biggest Penny Pincher: Big ‘Un from T.P. for all the Frozen Pot Pies he ate

Most Controversial Poster: Female: JessJen, Male: Roll-Tide

shovelheadred

« Reply #8 on: Apr 02, 2007, 12:57 »
,,Gerald Parker...rest his soul...started at Pacagula shipyard in the 60's...was a supervisor to Omar, Larry Werner, Gordie, TP, Syd, at Ingles,,,was well known in the PSESI circle...around CP&L..and later COMED,,,,,always a professional...Gerald was a righteous guy...always backed us up on issues that needed office help...raised a whole houseful of Rent-a-techs....who else gives Gerald a nod to the Hall of Fame..........I think the hall should be at TMI, because when that accident happened, the HP business really got into high gear..prior to then HP support was minimal.....red

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Apr 02, 2007, 01:09 »
I would put the Hall of Fame in Powell, TN (Near Oak Ridge), the Global headquarters of NukeWorker.com

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #10 on: Apr 02, 2007, 03:57 »
The University of Chicago, no contest. It is where the term Health Physics was coined (reportedly by Fermi himself), to differentiate between the physicists concerned with the nuclear reaction and the physicists concerned with the health affects. Imagine having a HoF in the city where it all began (as opposed to the Rock 'n Roll HoF in CLEVELAND, of all places!)
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #11 on: Apr 02, 2007, 07:01 »
The University of Chicago, no contest. It is where the term Health Physics was coined

What he said...
I can't see it going somewhere that was a site of mass destruction like Hiroshima or Nagasaki or the site of a disaster like TMI.  I think it would be better in an area that celebrates the accomplishment of Nuclear energy and it's contribution to clean power
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2007, 07:02 by Bat Man »
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Gonzo

« Reply #12 on: Apr 03, 2007, 05:34 »
I would put the Hall of Fame in Powell, TN (Near Oak Ridge), the Global headquarters of NukeWorker.com

put it here...   i second the vote

wouldn't such a hall of fame be worthy of a virtual museum?  people could upload pix of their best outage tee shirts (if any have survived all these years)...   or how about the dollar bill kj carries (it has i think six sevens in the serial number)...   trinkets...   i have an old IRM tote bag i could photo and upload...   

as for legends of the business...   you'll need a whole book of rules to figure it out...   and probably the biggest two legends were mentioned in the first entry by RB...   however, does anyone else remember the hood boys? 

Offline Shawnee Man

• Moderate User
« Reply #13 on: Apr 03, 2007, 06:51 »
I vote for the Paris Municipal School in Paris, France; where the concepts of radioactivity began.

I vote Maria Sklodowska for HP Hall of Fame, of course she would be in the shadow of Bill "Head-Butts" Campbell.

http://www.aip.org/history/exhibits/curie/brief/01_poland/poland_1.html
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2007, 06:54 by shawneeman »

BONERATLER

« Reply #14 on: Apr 03, 2007, 07:58 »
...Lydia Jacobs....she could out cuss, out argue,out drink any HP Manager she worked for...and she has put up with Jake for alot of years..........

HAIRDUDE

« Reply #15 on: Apr 04, 2007, 03:27 »
Chris Morley ...? Yer sick Marssim 8)
Let's see ... Ron Scanlon.
He was about 900 years old when I ran into him at HB Robinson in '87 or so. Everyone thought he was carzy because he wondered around muttering under his breath all the time and no one could tell what he was thinking. Then I ran into him one night at a Chinese place in Hartsville and got a seat at the bar close enough to make out what he was muttering about. It was Shakespere ... no kiddin. I had to go over and ask him what he was doing quoting that stuff ... word for word and correct mind you ... He said that every day life and work etc. weren't enought o keep his mind busy. He had to quote Shakespere on top of it all to keep his brain from getting bored to death. He claimed to have worked in the Nevada underground testing days. He said they would set one off underground and then he would ride a mine elevator down and do a survey. I laughed and asked him if he was Openheimer's pencil boy and he looked me dead in the eye and said "yes".

Go figger. The old coot was sharp as a tac and taught me a lot about the biz. I can't imagine he's around anymore considering he had a pretty good coating of dust on him already way back then. I imagine he's long gone and burried. But he gets at least one vote from me in the old fart catagory.

Funniest? No question: (Gerald) Wayne Mandrell: He knows more jokes than anyone I have ever met and has the ability to tell them in such a way that most times you ended up on the ground holding your side by the time he was finished. He was my best buddy for years ... heck ... we even have our names on the same US Patent. But we drifted apart over time. He's still around ... doing site coordinator type stuff for Bartlett last I heard. He's probably all growed up just like me now, but I doubt he could possibly have lost his joke telling magic :P

Coolest: Tony McCall

Hardest Working: Toss up between Brad Pittman and Dave Rochester

The one that made me feel funny (yah ... you know ... like climbing up the rope in gym class funny) Suzie ... Don't worry. No last names on that one.

Most Moral: "Rapid" Ray Roseberry

Overall Knowledge Level: Jim Foster

Most Fun In A Bar:Stan Kissiah

Best Basketball Player: Carl Moeller

Best Schmoozer: Jimmy Price

Biggest Lady-Killer: Steve McCleoud (sp?)

Best to work for: Rich Kelly (I never actually worked for Rich but I saw how he treated his people and if I were a contractor again he's be the one I'd wanna work for.)

Most Grounded: Ray "Honest Fox" Frank.

I could go on for a very long time on this thread but I'll lay off for a while and let someone else get a vote in  ;)

HAIRDUDE

HAIRDUDE

« Reply #16 on: Apr 04, 2007, 04:00 »
Well ... Yah ... Red's a color  8)

alphadude

« Reply #17 on: Apr 04, 2007, 05:52 »
wow most of these i never heard of-too young to be in da hall of fame...

i think

vita abar-mr natural
bill gooey-dr strange love
Frank McFaddin- mr. SL1
t. moseley-pecker
bama mcknight-god father
Kiman and Mahoney- say hello to my little friend
anybody that worked for RAD Services- wild hogs
Linda Liberatori- mmmmm

now dem is sum techs
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2007, 05:55 by alphadude »

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #18 on: Apr 04, 2007, 06:13 »
Ron Scanlon, now there's a name I haven't heard since SONGS in 1981.  He was definitely the best of the Las Vegas class that came out there with Combustion Engineering.  I second that nomination.

RADBASTARD

« Reply #19 on: Apr 04, 2007, 07:17 »
Hardest working TECH to the point of over kill: ron grippen.

Tech with the highest rank from the navy:The ADMRIAL Paul Patterson in name only

MOST WORTHLESS TECH and still getting jobs: Oh thats to long of a list.

Laziest tech: see above and X by 3

Biggest ladies man: Rick keely he could talk a nun out of her habit and the SLAB BOYS from the duke system late 80's-early 90's,and Mike Bertuca his nickname at beaver valley was RICO SAUVE

Biggest B.S. ER; Jimmy Winburn he's done it all and better.

Best contract supervisor to work for: Adam Aft

Funniest to work at an outage with: both cam and jimmy gibson,dave llyod,romo,
rick keely,jim faulkner,vinny petreono,randy schultz,vic maldanaldo,tom gerrlinger

Biggest salesman/WHEELER DEALER:  The Bertuca brothers and john lingle

Best tech to have fun with at a bar:  Hubcap Or BILL MAHONEY

1 of a kind tech they broke the mold:  captain neutron the flashing red light on his hard hat was a trip and mike getz,who could touch him.

Best PHYSICALLY FIT TECH: #1 Bob Norris  mr. new york and
#2 Randy Schultz and Todd Willard and ft calhoun,when they would take and do a cycle of Ejaculoid and drink Badger milk to get huge when they work out.
#3 I agree with george hebinko when he was training.

« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2007, 03:21 by RadBastard »

Offline uRiaL

• BELIEVING RCT
  • Moderate User
  • God knows the path I take......
« Reply #20 on: Apr 04, 2007, 09:01 »
while reading these post i sense a pattern  :D
I thank  GOD for you with every remembrance of you.

HAIRDUDE

« Reply #21 on: Apr 05, 2007, 09:47 »
Don't worry Marssim, I got rid of that old Blue Pariseinne (sp?) the old fashioned way ... i gave it to my sister-in-law. She made my brother's life miserable so I returned the favor. I opted for the Jaguar after that. Many, many sedans later I'm into the  '06 Ford 500 AWD now. Then I keep the '05 SUV around as well since winters up here get to be a little harsh. I think I've owned a little of everything over the years ... Heck, I even bought a Yugo as a disposable car way back when  :P

More Hall of Famers:

Biggest Drinker: Adrien Lucy
Best Cook: John Mohicah
Sexiest Containment Coordinator: Radbitch
Looks the most like George Clooney: Steve Rupp (A less fit, less attractive, heavier, funnier George Clooney 8)  )
Most Buff: Don Lockard
Most Frugal: Goetz (Worked with him for a few years ... most of the soories are mostly true)
Most 'Country': Strawberry Layman

HAIRDUDE

BuddyThePug

« Reply #22 on: Apr 07, 2007, 05:37 »
Chicago Pile

nominee: "Where's Waldo?" Fenton! ;)

Offline Jack U. Loyd

• Light User
« Reply #23 on: Apr 07, 2007, 07:52 »
Badger milk Rocks!

Ripped:  George Herbinko looked solid when he was training ...Hair..Donny is always in shape!

Hottest: My honey CC

Laziest: You pegged that one Radbas

Hardest worker :  The Grip is in a league of his own

Hardest Partier:  Can't remember 8)

Best coordinator: Catfish was pretty solid...Badge wasn't ready, see ya tomorrow!

Intensity level during a conversation: Yeah you Romo !

Baddest Rocker( next to me of course ): Lee Harvey cause he plays a studio light.

DT jr came over and played the first three songs on 5150 ...pretty impressive..then he got a computer

Offline radbitch

• Heavy User
« Reply #24 on: Apr 07, 2007, 09:32 »
Don't worry Marssim, I got rid of that old Blue Pariseinne (sp?) the old fashioned way ... i gave it to my sister-in-law. She made my brother's life miserable so I returned the favor. I opted for the Jaguar after that. Many, many sedans later I'm into the  '06 Ford 500 AWD now. Then I keep the '05 SUV around as well since winters up here get to be a little harsh. I think I've owned a little of everything over the years ... Heck, I even bought a Yugo as a disposable car way back when  :P

More Hall of Famers:

Biggest Drinker: Adrien Lucy
Best Cook: John Mohicah
Sexiest Containment Coordinator: Radbitch
Looks the most like George Clooney: Steve Rupp (A less fit, less attractive, heavier, funnier George Clooney 8)  )
Most Buff: Don Lockard
Most Frugal: Goetz (Worked with him for a few years ... most of the soories are mostly true)
Most 'Country': Strawberry Layman

HAIRDUDE

Thank you HAIRDUDE!!!!! But I thought Gerry was much sexier than I am..... :)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?