Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu H.P. HALL OF FAME what if? ???

Poll

Where would you put the first HP hall of fame and who would be in the first 10 people to be inducted and why

Chicago University
23 (31.9%)
T M I
22 (30.6%)
Plymouth
6 (8.3%)
nevada test site
6 (8.3%)
Hiroshima and Nagasaki
3 (4.2%)
Los  Alamos
12 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: H.P. HALL OF FAME what if? ???  (Read 92828 times)

RADBASTARD

H.P. HALL OF FAME what if? ???
« on: Mar 31, 2007, 07:46 »
We all know people over are long careers who were characters and legends,so lets hear who you would induct and why?
Where would you like to put the hall also?
Please be kind so nothing gets deleted.
I want to hear of some different people besides your getz's and boogers.
Lets have fun with this!

shovelheadred

Re: H.P. HALL OF FAME what if? ???
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2007, 08:02 »
,,SPANKEE McFARLAND.house tech for Oconee startup in 72'.....been a rent-a-tech since the early 70's...he should be grandfathered in because of that,,,,he got alot of techs started in this business from the Toccoa, Ga,,Oconee,SC area..worked Turkey Point prior to the S/G replacement..first ALARA rent-a-tech  I met in the Duke system..bout 87'.....he had his troubles like all of us,,prior to 1990...thought we had lost him....then he shows back up wearing a safety hardhat.....Thats why he needs to be in the hall of fame.....he came back from the isle of doom, to standout in the safety field, as a Certified Safety Professional...red

RADBASTARD

« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2007, 08:19 »
1#I would have to vote for the late bill mahoney.I met him in 82 at salem I think,and he taught be the ropes early about being a road tech,especially drinking.
I remember we were on nights he would have been drinking during the day and finding the best places to sleep at work."under the S/G table in the bio shield.
God I miss the 80's!!!
He was very smart tech.I was a house tech back then.

2#Then there is Captain Neutron aka mike neuroth.I remember him in the early 80's at salem,when he use to move rad trash and wear a hard hat with a red flashing light on it.We use to die laughing and his ollie and lena jokes.
you can buy his hat on his web site I think?
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2007, 06:32 by RadBastard »

Offline elwood

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2007, 12:04 »
ahh  Captain Neutron, worked with him at fernald.
what about Mike Getz??? talk about a legend :) and all of it true. ???

Offline hoghunter

• Moderate User
  • I have often regretted my speech, never my silence
« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2007, 01:18 »
I agree with SPANKY,but I have been around and met some good techs. I could make a long list of Techs that have  had an impact, but to single out  a few wouldn't be fair to the rest.
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 2007, 01:57 »
   Perhaps a number of categories would be important. Such as the Most Colorful (to be tactful), Biggest Contribution (company owners, authors, etc.) and Best Coworker ( someone you always look forward to working with). CFCC and Anapolis (IRM) are also locations that could be considered for the HPHoF (Hip Hof) though we now live in a world with a diminished importance of the sense of place. In this internet world a web site may the place to locate a shrine to transient rad workers. Realistically who would be the governing body (Nukeworker Gold Members?). Rennhack could be put up for a couple of these categories. Any volunteers?

P.S. Its Apr 1st

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 2007, 06:13 »
Now this is the type of thread that could go on forever!  I have never really figured out why the HP arena has so many colorful people.  It seems of all the traveling trades the HP's are the most interesting in terms of diversified personalities.  I have met the most interesting people on the road, one of the reasons I love my job so much.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 2007, 07:47 »
Well here are my nominees and their category:

Most one-liners: Spanky McFarlane

Cribbage Board King: Henry "Deal 'Em" Black

Best Party Host: Tied between Bobby & Gary Leonard

Biggest Penny Pincher: Big ‘Un from T.P. for all the Frozen Pot Pies he ate

Most Controversial Poster: Female: JessJen, Male: Roll-Tide

shovelheadred

« Reply #8 on: Apr 02, 2007, 12:57 »
,,Gerald Parker...rest his soul...started at Pacagula shipyard in the 60's...was a supervisor to Omar, Larry Werner, Gordie, TP, Syd, at Ingles,,,was well known in the PSESI circle...around CP&L..and later COMED,,,,,always a professional...Gerald was a righteous guy...always backed us up on issues that needed office help...raised a whole houseful of Rent-a-techs....who else gives Gerald a nod to the Hall of Fame..........I think the hall should be at TMI, because when that accident happened, the HP business really got into high gear..prior to then HP support was minimal.....red

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Apr 02, 2007, 01:09 »
I would put the Hall of Fame in Powell, TN (Near Oak Ridge), the Global headquarters of NukeWorker.com

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #10 on: Apr 02, 2007, 03:57 »
The University of Chicago, no contest. It is where the term Health Physics was coined (reportedly by Fermi himself), to differentiate between the physicists concerned with the nuclear reaction and the physicists concerned with the health affects. Imagine having a HoF in the city where it all began (as opposed to the Rock 'n Roll HoF in CLEVELAND, of all places!)
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Apr 02, 2007, 07:01 »
The University of Chicago, no contest. It is where the term Health Physics was coined

What he said...
I can't see it going somewhere that was a site of mass destruction like Hiroshima or Nagasaki or the site of a disaster like TMI.  I think it would be better in an area that celebrates the accomplishment of Nuclear energy and it's contribution to clean power
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2007, 07:02 by Bat Man »
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Gonzo

« Reply #12 on: Apr 03, 2007, 05:34 »
I would put the Hall of Fame in Powell, TN (Near Oak Ridge), the Global headquarters of NukeWorker.com

put it here...   i second the vote

wouldn't such a hall of fame be worthy of a virtual museum?  people could upload pix of their best outage tee shirts (if any have survived all these years)...   or how about the dollar bill kj carries (it has i think six sevens in the serial number)...   trinkets...   i have an old IRM tote bag i could photo and upload...   

as for legends of the business...   you'll need a whole book of rules to figure it out...   and probably the biggest two legends were mentioned in the first entry by RB...   however, does anyone else remember the hood boys? 

Offline Shawnee Man

• Moderate User
« Reply #13 on: Apr 03, 2007, 06:51 »
I vote for the Paris Municipal School in Paris, France; where the concepts of radioactivity began.

I vote Maria Sklodowska for HP Hall of Fame, of course she would be in the shadow of Bill "Head-Butts" Campbell.

http://www.aip.org/history/exhibits/curie/brief/01_poland/poland_1.html
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2007, 06:54 by shawneeman »

BONERATLER

« Reply #14 on: Apr 03, 2007, 07:58 »
...Lydia Jacobs....she could out cuss, out argue,out drink any HP Manager she worked for...and she has put up with Jake for alot of years..........

HAIRDUDE

« Reply #15 on: Apr 04, 2007, 03:27 »
Chris Morley ...? Yer sick Marssim 8)
Let's see ... Ron Scanlon.
He was about 900 years old when I ran into him at HB Robinson in '87 or so. Everyone thought he was carzy because he wondered around muttering under his breath all the time and no one could tell what he was thinking. Then I ran into him one night at a Chinese place in Hartsville and got a seat at the bar close enough to make out what he was muttering about. It was Shakespere ... no kiddin. I had to go over and ask him what he was doing quoting that stuff ... word for word and correct mind you ... He said that every day life and work etc. weren't enought o keep his mind busy. He had to quote Shakespere on top of it all to keep his brain from getting bored to death. He claimed to have worked in the Nevada underground testing days. He said they would set one off underground and then he would ride a mine elevator down and do a survey. I laughed and asked him if he was Openheimer's pencil boy and he looked me dead in the eye and said "yes".

Go figger. The old coot was sharp as a tac and taught me a lot about the biz. I can't imagine he's around anymore considering he had a pretty good coating of dust on him already way back then. I imagine he's long gone and burried. But he gets at least one vote from me in the old fart catagory.

Funniest? No question: (Gerald) Wayne Mandrell: He knows more jokes than anyone I have ever met and has the ability to tell them in such a way that most times you ended up on the ground holding your side by the time he was finished. He was my best buddy for years ... heck ... we even have our names on the same US Patent. But we drifted apart over time. He's still around ... doing site coordinator type stuff for Bartlett last I heard. He's probably all growed up just like me now, but I doubt he could possibly have lost his joke telling magic :P

Coolest: Tony McCall

Hardest Working: Toss up between Brad Pittman and Dave Rochester

The one that made me feel funny (yah ... you know ... like climbing up the rope in gym class funny) Suzie ... Don't worry. No last names on that one.

Most Moral: "Rapid" Ray Roseberry

Overall Knowledge Level: Jim Foster

Most Fun In A Bar:Stan Kissiah

Best Basketball Player: Carl Moeller

Best Schmoozer: Jimmy Price

Biggest Lady-Killer: Steve McCleoud (sp?)

Best to work for: Rich Kelly (I never actually worked for Rich but I saw how he treated his people and if I were a contractor again he's be the one I'd wanna work for.)

Most Grounded: Ray "Honest Fox" Frank.

I could go on for a very long time on this thread but I'll lay off for a while and let someone else get a vote in  ;)

HAIRDUDE

HAIRDUDE

« Reply #16 on: Apr 04, 2007, 04:00 »
Well ... Yah ... Red's a color  8)

alphadude

« Reply #17 on: Apr 04, 2007, 05:52 »
wow most of these i never heard of-too young to be in da hall of fame...

i think

vita abar-mr natural
bill gooey-dr strange love
Frank McFaddin- mr. SL1
t. moseley-pecker
bama mcknight-god father
Kiman and Mahoney- say hello to my little friend
anybody that worked for RAD Services- wild hogs
Linda Liberatori- mmmmm

now dem is sum techs
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2007, 05:55 by alphadude »

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #18 on: Apr 04, 2007, 06:13 »
Ron Scanlon, now there's a name I haven't heard since SONGS in 1981.  He was definitely the best of the Las Vegas class that came out there with Combustion Engineering.  I second that nomination.

RADBASTARD

« Reply #19 on: Apr 04, 2007, 07:17 »
Hardest working TECH to the point of over kill: ron grippen.

Tech with the highest rank from the navy:The ADMRIAL Paul Patterson in name only

MOST WORTHLESS TECH and still getting jobs: Oh thats to long of a list.

Laziest tech: see above and X by 3

Biggest ladies man: Rick keely he could talk a nun out of her habit and the SLAB BOYS from the duke system late 80's-early 90's,and Mike Bertuca his nickname at beaver valley was RICO SAUVE

Biggest B.S. ER; Jimmy Winburn he's done it all and better.

Best contract supervisor to work for: Adam Aft

Funniest to work at an outage with: both cam and jimmy gibson,dave llyod,romo,
rick keely,jim faulkner,vinny petreono,randy schultz,vic maldanaldo,tom gerrlinger

Biggest salesman/WHEELER DEALER:  The Bertuca brothers and john lingle

Best tech to have fun with at a bar:  Hubcap Or BILL MAHONEY

1 of a kind tech they broke the mold:  captain neutron the flashing red light on his hard hat was a trip and mike getz,who could touch him.

Best PHYSICALLY FIT TECH: #1 Bob Norris  mr. new york and
#2 Randy Schultz and Todd Willard and ft calhoun,when they would take and do a cycle of Ejaculoid and drink Badger milk to get huge when they work out.
#3 I agree with george hebinko when he was training.

« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2007, 03:21 by RadBastard »

Offline uRiaL

• BELIEVING RCT
  • Moderate User
  • God knows the path I take......
« Reply #20 on: Apr 04, 2007, 09:01 »
while reading these post i sense a pattern  :D
I thank  GOD for you with every remembrance of you.

HAIRDUDE

« Reply #21 on: Apr 05, 2007, 09:47 »
Don't worry Marssim, I got rid of that old Blue Pariseinne (sp?) the old fashioned way ... i gave it to my sister-in-law. She made my brother's life miserable so I returned the favor. I opted for the Jaguar after that. Many, many sedans later I'm into the  '06 Ford 500 AWD now. Then I keep the '05 SUV around as well since winters up here get to be a little harsh. I think I've owned a little of everything over the years ... Heck, I even bought a Yugo as a disposable car way back when  :P

More Hall of Famers:

Biggest Drinker: Adrien Lucy
Best Cook: John Mohicah
Sexiest Containment Coordinator: Radbitch
Looks the most like George Clooney: Steve Rupp (A less fit, less attractive, heavier, funnier George Clooney 8)  )
Most Buff: Don Lockard
Most Frugal: Goetz (Worked with him for a few years ... most of the soories are mostly true)
Most 'Country': Strawberry Layman

HAIRDUDE

BuddyThePug

« Reply #22 on: Apr 07, 2007, 05:37 »
Chicago Pile

nominee: "Where's Waldo?" Fenton! ;)

Offline Jack U. Loyd

• Light User
« Reply #23 on: Apr 07, 2007, 07:52 »
Badger milk Rocks!

Ripped:  George Herbinko looked solid when he was training ...Hair..Donny is always in shape!

Hottest: My honey CC

Laziest: You pegged that one Radbas

Hardest worker :  The Grip is in a league of his own

Hardest Partier:  Can't remember 8)

Best coordinator: Catfish was pretty solid...Badge wasn't ready, see ya tomorrow!

Intensity level during a conversation: Yeah you Romo !

Baddest Rocker( next to me of course ): Lee Harvey cause he plays a studio light.

DT jr came over and played the first three songs on 5150 ...pretty impressive..then he got a computer

Offline radbitch

• Heavy User
« Reply #24 on: Apr 07, 2007, 09:32 »
Don't worry Marssim, I got rid of that old Blue Pariseinne (sp?) the old fashioned way ... i gave it to my sister-in-law. She made my brother's life miserable so I returned the favor. I opted for the Jaguar after that. Many, many sedans later I'm into the  '06 Ford 500 AWD now. Then I keep the '05 SUV around as well since winters up here get to be a little harsh. I think I've owned a little of everything over the years ... Heck, I even bought a Yugo as a disposable car way back when  :P

More Hall of Famers:

Biggest Drinker: Adrien Lucy
Best Cook: John Mohicah
Sexiest Containment Coordinator: Radbitch
Looks the most like George Clooney: Steve Rupp (A less fit, less attractive, heavier, funnier George Clooney 8)  )
Most Buff: Don Lockard
Most Frugal: Goetz (Worked with him for a few years ... most of the soories are mostly true)
Most 'Country': Strawberry Layman

HAIRDUDE

Thank you HAIRDUDE!!!!! But I thought Gerry was much sexier than I am..... :)

RADBASTARD

« Reply #25 on: Apr 08, 2007, 03:34 »
Badger milk Rocks!

Ripped:  George Herbinko looked solid when he was training ...Hair..Donny is always in shape!

Hottest: My honey CC

Laziest: You pegged that one Radbas

Hardest worker :  The Grip is in a league of his own

Hardest Partier:  Can't remember 8)

Best coordinator: Catfish was pretty solid...Badge wasn't ready, see ya tomorrow!

Intensity level during a conversation: Yeah you Romo !

Baddest Rocker( next to me of course ): Lee Harvey cause he plays a studio light.

DT jr came over and played the first three songs on 5150 ...pretty impressive..then he got a computer
Jack u loyd you can't forget about some of the intense discussions me and gary lightfoot would have at ft calhoun with some of those tree hugging ,hippie, liberals that don't watch fox news,and like al frankin, and want us to hug the terrorists and the middle east countries so they will like us better.They could get heated.
so I think we should be on there too.

You need to have todd on there for best work out form for sure.

you are dead on about the Grip I love watching him a mike tabber seeing who was right and who was wrong when they were working together,it was quite entertaining

craps7

« Reply #26 on: Apr 08, 2007, 03:55 »
Biggest suckup Radbastard (let me guess Adam is at ST Lucie and where is the next SGR at?)   For the hardest worker Mr. Keith who is now house at Clinton.  Best Cordinators BTKeele and hotdog cooking Schenna.  Funniest Tony Canale who is also a hard worker.  Favorite House Tech  ED Breault. 

RADBASTARD

« Reply #27 on: Apr 08, 2007, 04:16 »
Biggest suckup Radbastard (let me guess Adam is at ST Lucie and where is the next SGR at?)   For the hardest worker Mr. Keith who is now house at Clinton.  Best Cordinators BTKeele and hotdog cooking Schenna.  Funniest Tony Canale who is also a hard worker.  Favorite House Tech  ED Breault. 
Craps7  do you want me to do a little sucking up for you while im here,tony canale and eric simon together were a riot
Also I nominate you and boloxi blues for always getting screwed with the s**t jobs at calvert.
Hey can you go in the pump bay for us,we got briefs to go too.
« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2007, 05:01 by Nuclear NASCAR »

craps7

« Reply #28 on: Apr 08, 2007, 07:35 »
Hey some things dont change Biloxoi was in the can for 11 hours here at Calloway.  Yeah if your not busy can you do a little brown nosing for us at ST lucie?   Everyone is going there ya know what that means.  Lower wages.

Offline Jack U. Loyd

• Light User
« Reply #29 on: Apr 08, 2007, 09:25 »
Hey craps ...I second on Keith.......Down at peach we would beg him to take a break.....Kinda of scary ....even offered to  let us take his breaks......of course I was OK with that.....the slacker that I am !

sweetpea

« Reply #30 on: Apr 08, 2007, 09:45 »
dave lloyd, romo, randy schultz, keith abercrombie, ed breault are some of my favorites

Offline incrediblehulk

• Moderate User
  • Dum vivimus, vivamus!!
« Reply #31 on: Apr 09, 2007, 01:44 »
As we've already seen, you could probably make a "Top Ten List" in all the various categories. Rather than taxing my admittedly addled brain, I'm gonna just make a list of my all-time favorite "characters". These are the folks who always made me laugh and don't include those who became famous for being disgusting or slackers. In no particular order, they are:
       - Bill Mahoney
       - Wyatt Wood
       - Ray "Wildman" Perry
       - Billy Sullivan
       - J.R. Box
       - George Basquette
       - Dave McDaniel
       - Chris Brevig
       - Lou "Chin Loo" Lyons
       - Jack "Gonzo" Conrad

Some pretty fine techs on this list, as well!
Life is short. That is all there is to say. Get what you can from the present - thoughtfully, justly.
                               - Marcus Aurelius

Liberty is never unalienable. It must be redeemed regularly with the blood of patriots or it always vanishes.
                          -R.A. Heinlein

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
« Reply #32 on: Apr 10, 2007, 06:00 »

I would have to put Eli Crosby, Jr in for this category also. 
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Asa1

« Reply #33 on: Apr 12, 2007, 09:07 »
Best site coordinator I ever had was Gerald Parker (Mississippi Mafia). We need more like him.

BONERATLER

« Reply #34 on: Apr 17, 2007, 06:51 »
..gotta put two together,because you never said one name without the other....RAPID RAY..and bless his soul...SLOW JOE...they started together at Lucie....they were legends.....the first HIPPIE rent-a-techs...they Lived it brother..heard Ray say, more than one time..."HP is MY LIFE" now he has given his life to GOD....talked to Ray today,,,he is still teching,,,and preaching when he gets the chance,,,he said some prayers for me, and I am sure he will for you if you ask him to.....didnt know Joe that well, but he was a legend...and I am sure some of you have some "Slow Joe " stories...I nominate these two, because I can guarantee that there is not an outage goes by, that doesnt include a break room story  about ......."RAPID RAY & SLOW JOE"

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: Apr 18, 2007, 07:24 »
..gotta put two together,because you never said one name without the other....RAPID RAY..and bless his soul...SLOW JOE...they started together at Lucie....they were legends.....the first HIPPIE rent-a-techs...

Sorry to tell you that there were MANY Hippie rent-a-techs years before St. Lucie existed... complete with the long hair, beards and beads. I knew a few of them very well. Some are still in the business and some are not. One memorable encounter in a bar near Kewaunee in 1976 had a 275 pound boilermaker turn and plant a kiss on the cheek of a 125 pound long-haired tech and call him 'sweetie.' The tech calmly turned to the boilermaker and said 'F***ing Faggot!' I thought I was going to die along with the tech and all of our friends. The boilermaker smiled and said 'I like this guy' and they were friends for the rest of the outage (a few months back then.) Da bidness was a lot different in the good ol' days...
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

RADBASTARD

« Reply #36 on: Apr 18, 2007, 09:03 »
Yeah roger I miss the good old days when a big fat boilermaker guy could kiss another long haired hippie HP guy on site and it wasn't a problem.  GEE time sure does fly by.

Offline incrediblehulk

• Moderate User
  • Dum vivimus, vivamus!!
« Reply #37 on: Apr 18, 2007, 03:11 »
Sorry to tell you that there were MANY Hippie rent-a-techs years before St. Lucie existed... complete with the long hair, beards and beads.

Aint it the truth. I can recall the plant maintenance guys at Pilgrim ( who were generally older, more "stable" types) saying "Lock up your daughters, the techs are in town" when the bunch of us would stumble into GET. Good times!
Life is short. That is all there is to say. Get what you can from the present - thoughtfully, justly.
                               - Marcus Aurelius

Liberty is never unalienable. It must be redeemed regularly with the blood of patriots or it always vanishes.
                          -R.A. Heinlein

diliigaf

« Reply #38 on: Apr 18, 2007, 03:25 »

8)  Any one remember a Tech named Wade Hannah, he was a true hippie... (What a burner)... :D

LaFeet

« Reply #39 on: Apr 20, 2007, 05:53 »
Romo   I didn't know you cared......

I am still relatively new to the industry... but I have been around elsewhere.

Most Obtuse -  Mountain Man -- looks great in a kilt and bag pipes

Most enjoyable conversationalist - Ellie Turner

Most Intense conversationalist - ROMO  da Man

Most Un Politically Correct House Super - Ray Wyvill---loved working for that man
                             Hey Ray - whats my dose rate now???

Most continuosly busy housie - Wiggie

The one I just cant seem to get along with - Dwayne Duncan,  I just dont know why he hates me

Most laid back House Lead - Brian Clow

Funniest "Hot" guy house - Scottie Too Hottie  Hey Scottie, wanna see my daughters??

Easiet to get a rise out of -  well that had to be MadCow

and the list goes on.....  to all those I have had the luck of working with, I hope our paths cross again.

Good Luck and take care

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #40 on: Apr 20, 2007, 08:22 »
Sorry to tell you that there were MANY Hippie rent-a-techs years before St. Lucie existed... complete with the long hair, beards and beads.

rilly?  wii, eye yam schocked! 
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: Apr 20, 2007, 08:53 »
rilly?  wii, eye yam schocked! 

Are you shocked because you didn't know that or because I can remember it?

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

alphadude

« Reply #42 on: Apr 20, 2007, 09:36 »
yea if ya dont know vita abar you is still in diapers, i guess no body remembers salem or oconee back in the 70s, i sure dont 8)

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: Apr 20, 2007, 12:14 »
yea if ya dont know vita abar you is still in diapers, i guess no body remembers salem or oconee back in the 70s, i sure dont 8)

Shared an apartment with Mr. Abar in '76 and worked Salem's startup through first outage in '77. I still remember bits and pieces of it.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #44 on: Apr 20, 2007, 01:08 »
wholly cow!  iz dis a hall of fame thread or whose inta awltshimmers?  eye yam schocked dat enny buddy remembers dem long haired hippie type nukes.  i 'member salem ina start-up mode, but eye didn't last long.  i had left kewaunee 'n landed at salem, den eye herd dat point beach wuz happening, 'n, wail, it wuz da ole wisconsin called 'n alla dat beer 'n doze nice friendy type wimmen were a helluva lot better'n  sayfreekinglem!  worked wit vida a buncha times, last wuz at trojan in '81.  him 'n dat freeking power wagon of his.  he wuz an archetypical tech of da day.

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #45 on: Apr 20, 2007, 04:27 »
Geez, this thread is cracking me up!     ;D

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #46 on: Apr 20, 2007, 05:03 »
wholly cow!  iz dis a hall of fame thread or whose inta awltshimmers?  eye yam schocked dat enny buddy remembers dem long haired hippie type nukes.  i 'member salem ina start-up mode, but eye didn't last long.  i had left kewaunee 'n landed at salem, den eye herd dat point beach wuz happening, 'n, wail, it wuz da ole wisconsin called 'n alla dat beer 'n doze nice friendy type wimmen were a helluva lot better'n  sayfreekinglem!  worked wit vida a buncha times, last wuz at trojan in '81.  him 'n dat freeking power wagon of his.  he wuz an archetypical tech of da day.

Well if any of you keep up with the calendar here, then you'd know that yessss I was around when those long haired hippie type nukes were around... I remember several that I had huge crushes on and once my dad sent me back home via a free ride with a couple rather than put me on the plane by myself. Needless to say this was wayyy before fitness for duty.

LaFeet

« Reply #47 on: Apr 20, 2007, 06:09 »
Unfortunately I was under water during all the Long Haired days.   I did manage to let my hair reach my buttocks after leaving the Silent Service.  But I chose to keep it cropped  now.

I have run into a number of those seemingly tripping techs over the years, mostly at dirt jobs.

usetobe

« Reply #48 on: Apr 20, 2007, 08:21 »
If we are going to have a hall-of-fame we need to have an outage category.  I suggest the Duane Arnold Crack Repair in 78, Trojan in 1980 (Mount St Helen's eruption) among many other eruptions, the San Onofre Sleeving (Sleezing, Sleeping) Project, TMI Recovery. Gosh I can actually remember that far back.

How about a company category - Rad Services, IRM, Numanco, Allied, Chem Nuclear, NSS.
on and on.

Of course we need a recuiter category, tech category (house and road, both accomplished techs and the partiers).

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #49 on: Apr 20, 2007, 08:41 »
If we are going to have a hall-of-fame we need to have               category. 

sumbuddy better git a freaking excel table going here to keep track of alla dis stuff!

iffen categories are called for, may i suggest most unique name of a nuclear worker?   

I wood nominate rip van winkle.  tru name, eye kid yew knot.  worked 'n roomed wit him at pilgrim in '81.  he hadda one of the best come ons for da ladies, a gift.   he had tshirts made up saying "i slept with rip van winkle" . 
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2007, 08:42 by SloGlo »

alphadude

« Reply #50 on: Apr 23, 2007, 04:09 »
so did you ever say "dude u are stepping on my hair?"

LaFeet

« Reply #51 on: Apr 23, 2007, 06:22 »
so did you ever say "dude u are stepping on my hair?"

Naw... I managed to keep it outta the way.   I did sit on it a few times, hurts like heck

Donated three lengths to "Locks of Love" when I got it cut.

RADBASTARD

« Reply #52 on: Apr 23, 2007, 07:44 »
Lafeet you sure are 1 sexy man now that you cut off your hair ,and I know hamsammich thinks so also.

You need to come to turkey and lucie next fall.

LaFeet

« Reply #53 on: Apr 23, 2007, 11:06 »
Lafeet you sure are 1 sexy man now that you cut off your hair ,and I know hamsammich thinks so also.

You need to come to turkey and lucie next fall.

Dont know about that first part, but I am trying for the South Florida duet.

Bartlett never called me for Calvert, and I had contacted EB while at Ft Calhoun and volunteered, I guees Calvert didn't want me back????

Offline Dustball

• Moderate User
  • -40F Keeps out the RiffRaff
« Reply #54 on: Apr 24, 2007, 06:01 »

Captain Nuetron.  Classic!  Worked with him decomissioning Pathfinder.  He took home a huge trailer full of lead bricks.  ???

Offline Dustball

• Moderate User
« Reply #55 on: Apr 24, 2007, 06:08 »

Big Un - i don't know if he holds a candle to Goetz.  But Big 'Un could eat.  His motto was food for free is food for me.  At Monticello one time there was a corn feed.  Big-Un ate a dozen on his own.  Later that day he couldn't get out of access control so he ran into the back room pulled down his drawers and blew corn chunks all over the sheppard calibrator.  Rumor is that some Jr. HP cleaned it up.  Big Un tells a good brownie story too.  He ate lots of free funny brownies.  He was a trip.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #56 on: Sep 21, 2007, 05:08 »
Kenneth Smith aka Big Un once bought 100 chicken pot pies at Publix cause the were 4 for a buck and proceeded to eat them for the next month. By the way, hows the fishing?
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #57 on: Sep 22, 2007, 01:31 »

Im honored really I am...I think

ramdog_1

« Reply #58 on: Sep 22, 2007, 12:01 »
I say Bruce Moffit belongs in here! no one rocks like the brewster.
and his good freind Erine
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2007, 12:06 by ramdog_1 »

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
« Reply #59 on: Oct 19, 2007, 03:18 »

I have a Captain Neutron pen.
Getz took the turkey carcass out of the trash can on T-Day at Catawba and picked it clean. Hey, he was hungry!

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
« Reply #60 on: Oct 19, 2007, 03:38 »
Al Horsechief!!
We were at the North 40 at ANO. Some local redneck, (I know redundant), was trashing Native Americans. He did not realize Al was hovering right behind him. Al put his giant hand on the back of this guys head and pulled him in close and planted a kiss on him. You could see it in this guys eyes, he crapped himself.

HAIRDUDE

« Reply #61 on: Feb 08, 2008, 12:53 »
If we are going to put nuke companies in the Hall of Fame, Hydro Nuclear Services has to be on the list. Some of the alumni from that company are still hanging around the biz ... myself included. Just a few of the names associated with that group of hydro-lazing psychos is:
Jon Nash
Tim Veal
Mike Weiderwax
Joe Sparks
Jim Slattery
Floyd Flanigan
Bill Burns
Scott Rose (God resat his soul)
The Rosenhagen Brothers
Zippy The Pin-Head
Rat (Jeff Sidodi)
Ed Breault
Kevin Ott
Bu-Fu
Johnny (Angel) Stockham
John Bowman
Jeff Greenwood

The list goes on and on ... Great group of guys to work with.

Offline HousePuke

• ALARA Coordinator / Rad Engineer
  • Heavy User
  • If you don't like it here, go somewhere else!
« Reply #62 on: Feb 08, 2008, 06:05 »
[
How about a company category - Rad Services, IRM, Numanco, Allied, Chem Nuclear, NSS.
on and on.[/quote]

Lets see... started with Allied, worked for Numanco and NSS, IRM was still very much in the business when I started.  I might be eligible to be a senior any day now.

I was never one of the "hippies, longhairs" of the '70s vintage.  Worked with several though.

Sloe Joe, Captain Neutron, et al, yep, worked with them.

It's funny, but had an individual comment a couple of years back that they thought my resume was a bit "lite".  Maybe someday I'll be able to demonstrate a minimum level of skills, knowledge, experience and the potential to be a positive contribution to some program somewhere.

One can only hope. ;)
Irish diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell such that he looks forward to making the trip.

Inspite of inflation, a penny is still a fair price for most peoples thoughts.

Jr8black3

« Reply #63 on: Feb 08, 2008, 07:43 »
PWHOPPE'S name needs to be set in a stone at the HP HALL OF FAME,, LOL He hasn't left us yet thank god this business needs him and more like him, I take his ethic everyday to work.

Offline Tucci

• Very Lite User
  • Sunset at home
« Reply #64 on: Apr 14, 2008, 06:55 »

I have a Captain Neutron pen.
Getz took the turkey carcass out of the trash can on T-Day at Catawba and picked it clean. Hey, he was hungry!

Hahah
Last time I saw him he was slaving as a Jr HP at Surry I think, eating other people's lunches and sleeping in his car. In the summer.

I remember blowing by him on the road every day with him going exactly 48 mph (in a 55 zone) because he had figured out that was the speed his car got the best gas mileage.

That boy was a trip. But I'll bet he made his million.

Tucci

Offline Tucci

• Very Lite User
  • Sunset at home
« Reply #65 on: Apr 14, 2008, 06:59 »
[
I was never one of the "hippies, longhairs" of the '70s vintage. 

Hey, I resemble that remark! Someone had to teach them navy nukes the real world! Long haired, tie dyed, freak HP's are a great intro!

Tucci

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #66 on: Apr 14, 2008, 09:05 »
Hey, I resemble that remark! Someone had to teach them navy nukes the real world! Long haired, tie dyed, freak HP's are a great intro!

Tucci

Most of what I learned in the 70s just out of the Navy, I had to relearn. Many non-Navy (or non-shipyard) rad techs then, had enough time to be a senior, until they had the time to be a senior. I remember working with a Sr who had been a security guard only a few months before. Contract techs only started in the 70s and the standards were not well enforced and the job was much different. Besides many of the ex Navy people I knew then "were the long hairs" as soon as they could be.
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2008, 09:09 by Marlin »

shovelheadred

« Reply #67 on: Apr 15, 2008, 12:51 »
...What does.. "The Long hairs" have to do with it?.....

stownsend

« Reply #68 on: Apr 15, 2008, 02:38 »

Tucci
Hey Mark
Didn't you work Rowe in 85? Are you still sinking scallop boats off of George's Bank?

Offline Tucci

• Very Lite User
  • Sunset at home
« Reply #69 on: Apr 16, 2008, 02:54 »
Hey Mark
Didn't you work Rowe in 85? Are you still sinking scallop boats off of George's Bank?

Nope, just that 1 boat.

Yeah I worked Yankee Rowe. Basically (as far as I can remember):

Newport News Shipbuilding and DD 1979

IP2 1984, 86, 87 (and people ask why I have 42 R whole body lifetime) (Plugging Tubes with 1 hand on the stop watch and the other hand on the workers air hose!)

Surry 84 ( Mark  standing up on a chair in the cafeteria at sign in, with about 50 people around, and announcing he does more drugs than all of us put together....hahahaha)

DC Cook 84 (nothing special...lasted 2 weeks)

Oyster Creek 85 (hit a deer on my motorcycle)

Yankee Rowe 85 (Recovered the stuck rad source. Please don't ask my extremity dose)

Susquehanna 85 (Did the shielding and initial entry in the core barrel for the Steam Dryer support block QC. That was fun!)

Pilgrim 86, 87 (Uhhhh let's not discuss Pilgrim 86...let's just say I'm glad I'm alive) (Hey Wojo, remember the Torus job? Or was that a different outage? I forget!)

What's that one in Ohio???? Oh yeah Perry! 87....lasted 10 days. (I just plain hated that place and everything around it.)

Oconee 87 88 (The last time I heard Ross Welch say "Screw all the pot smokers. Line em up, shoot em, and let God Sort em out." Miss ya Welchie!) (The funniest instance of the saying "Tastes Like Chicken" I've ever seen)

ANO (Arkansas 1) 87 (There's Buddhists in Arkansas?) This was the famous 20/hr and 50 a day job that was supposed to last 10 days to 2 weeks. Did it ever end? I left out of boredom after 3 months.

Calvert Cliffs 87 (They grow Pot here???)

Peach Bottom 88 (They sell crank here? No wonder everybody sleeps the whole damn night shift.)

Then I left and came back for the Shoreham fuel move to Limerick in 93. GREAT JOB! (Fuel Floor, to Crawler, To Barge, To Train...That was one of the funnest jobs I had)

I'm sure I left somewhere out. But strangely, once the per diem withdrawal stopped, I forgot most of the details!

Started with IRM (Don Parkinson, my bro!) and spent time with NSS, CE, Bartlett, ARC, and I was the second employee of General Dynamics Reactor Plant Services Division (which I think is shuttered now). I'm sure I forgot a few companies but they probably want to forget me!

I miss you guys!
Howya doing Steve? My email is marktucci@yahoo.com

Mark

Offline Tucci

• Very Lite User
  • Sunset at home
« Reply #70 on: Apr 16, 2008, 05:45 »
Nope, just that 1 boat.

Yeah I worked Yankee Rowe. Basically (as far as I can remember):

Newport News Shipbuilding and DD 1979

IP2 1984, 86, 87 (and people ask why I have 42 R whole body lifetime) (Plugging Tubes with 1 hand on the stop watch and the other hand on the workers air hose!)

Surry 84 ( Mark  standing up on a chair in the cafeteria at sign in, with about 50 people around, and announcing he does more drugs than all of us put together....hahahaha)

DC Cook 84 (nothing special...lasted 2 weeks)

Oyster Creek 85 (hit a deer on my motorcycle)

Yankee Rowe 85 (Recovered the stuck rad source. Please don't ask my extremity dose)

Susquehanna 85 (Did the shielding and initial entry in the core barrel for the Steam Dryer support block QC. That was fun!)

Pilgrim 86, 87 (Uhhhh let's not discuss Pilgrim 86...let's just say I'm glad I'm alive) (Hey Wojo, remember the Torus job? Or was that a different outage? I forget!)

What's that one in Ohio???? Oh yeah Perry! 87....lasted 10 days. (I just plain hated that place and everything around it.)

Oconee 87 88 (The last time I heard Ross Welch say "Screw all the pot smokers. Line em up, shoot em, and let God Sort em out." Miss ya Welchie!) (The funniest instance of the saying "Tastes Like Chicken" I've ever seen)

ANO (Arkansas 1) 87 (There's Buddhists in Arkansas?) This was the famous 20/hr and 50 a day job that was supposed to last 10 days to 2 weeks. Did it ever end? I left out of boredom after 3 months.

Calvert Cliffs 87 (They grow Pot here???)

Peach Bottom 88 (They sell crank here? No wonder everybody sleeps the whole damn night shift.)

Then I left and came back for the Shoreham fuel move to Limerick in 93. GREAT JOB! (Fuel Floor, to Crawler, To Barge, To Train...That was one of the funnest jobs I had)

I'm sure I left somewhere out. But strangely, once the per diem withdrawal stopped, I forgot most of the details!

Started with IRM (Don Parkinson, my bro!) and spent time with NSS, CE, Bartlett, ARC, and I was the second employee of General Dynamics Reactor Plant Services Division (which I think is shuttered now). I'm sure I forgot a few companies but they probably want to forget me!

I miss you guys!
Howya doing Steve? My email is marktucci@yahoo.com

Mark

Oh and on that Scallop` Boat, that was sunk FOR me by some other idiot.

So are any of these guys on here:

Carl Tilson
Mike Finnegan
The Fleetwood brothers (or as I called them..the Freakwoods)
Wheatsie Longenecker
Don Parkinson
Wojo (but I already heard from him)
Joe Latham
Bill Sullivan
Ward Brunkow
The Dunlaps
Goetz
Frank Gibson (aka Bubba The Silver Fox)

Man I could go on and on if I could remember names better. Wherever you guys are, here's one to you!

Mark

nuclearnomad

« Reply #71 on: Apr 17, 2008, 12:43 »
Weatsie Longenecker , Don Parkinson and Bruce Moffet I haven't heard those names in 20 plus years anyone have know if Bruce is still in the bizz?

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #72 on: Apr 28, 2008, 12:24 »
I guess I would have to nominate Jim Faulkner, I heard that he is the best technician that Kevin Manning has ever worked with. 8)
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

RADBASTARD

« Reply #73 on: Apr 28, 2008, 06:33 »
who said that jim???
I guess I would have to nominate Jim Faulkner, I heard that he is the best technician that Kevin Manning has ever worked with. 8)

duke99301

« Reply #74 on: Jul 17, 2008, 10:37 »
I would say Bill Ziegler no one rocks like he do's.

Hereinnc

« Reply #75 on: Jul 17, 2008, 12:13 »
The names are synonymous with the business.  If your an old timer the names go on and on:  Slamen Dean, Carmon Vigari, Doug Coen, Moongate, Dan Webster, Rapid Ray Roseberry, Billy Mahoney, the polish guy from TMI, Bruce Moffett, the electric tech, the brothers Raywald, Mitch Gerry.  The days of fun and games are gone in most cases.  Things are much to serious now.  But never forget!

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #76 on: Jul 17, 2008, 10:24 »
who said that jim???

I remember vividly that Kevin wrote this on an official document that hung in the laverenth on 115' at Diablo. I am just not creative enough to make this stuff up! ;D

We all have our hero's, no need to defend them. ;D ;D :o
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #77 on: Mar 24, 2010, 10:59 »
The names are synonymous with the business.  If your an old timer the names go on and on:  Slamen Dean, Carmon Vigari, Doug Coen, Moongate, Dan Webster, Rapid Ray Roseberry, Billy Mahoney, the polish guy from TMI, Bruce Moffett, the electric tech, the brothers Raywald, Mitch Gerry.  The days of fun and games are gone in most cases.  Things are much to serious now.  But never forget!
good cru hear.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #78 on: Mar 25, 2010, 01:24 »
Chicago Pile

nominee: "Where's Waldo?" Fenton! ;)
Browns Ferry, where else?
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #79 on: Mar 25, 2010, 04:40 »
Browns Ferry, where else?
they kant hold a can dull, watt makes ya think they cood hold enny thing else?

Offline Brewster

• Very Lite User
« Reply #80 on: Mar 25, 2010, 11:14 »
I've never seen a list of Inductees who are they?

Is there a "Posthumously" category? I'm pretty sure I won't have time to be in that.

Brewster Moffatt

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #81 on: Mar 26, 2010, 02:59 »
they kant hold a can dull, watt makes ya think they cood hold enny thing else?
They just held it too long!!

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #82 on: Mar 26, 2010, 11:29 »
I've never seen a list of Inductees who are they?

Is there a "Posthumously" category? I'm pretty sure I won't have time to be in that.

Brewster Moffatt

Good question... perhaps we should form a panel and take nominations just for fun or maybe start a new poll?

Offline Dustball

• Moderate User
« Reply #83 on: Apr 04, 2010, 02:58 »
Yeah roger I miss the good old days when a big fat boilermaker guy could kiss another long haired hippie HP guy on site and it wasn't a problem.  GEE time sure does fly by.

I think [name removed by Moderator] has a letter in his file here at Monti for doing that to a fellow RP!  First couple of months as a house mouse and sexual harassment was filed!  Time's just ain't the same.  Romo, I remember the nice pics of you at McGuire too.  kiss kiss  :-*
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2010, 04:52 by T Tarbox »

Jr8black3

« Reply #84 on: Apr 04, 2010, 04:09 »
Pat Hoppe Made the biggest influence on me,, I learned so much from him.

The Only other person I can say can compare is Patricia Bernard out of Fermi..What an awesome lady.. No I'm not saying it cause I'm dating her... she is Awesome and I sure many will agree...

Kevin

Jr8black3

« Reply #85 on: Apr 04, 2010, 07:15 »
Patricia is not an RP,, she is awesome at what she does..I miss working with her,, she makes our world go around...

I love her forever..

With out her they are screwed..Thats the truth..

Don't have to be an RP to be a LOVER..I love ya so much..

Patti is the best of the best,, been to 27 plants and I'd have to say she is the BEST..Patti here is too you..:)......ILY

Jr8black3

« Reply #86 on: Apr 13, 2010, 10:29 »
I do have to put all day Ray Cathcart and Bob Reheard, two folks that are awesome at what they do, and dont mind taking the extra minute to help or give advice, they have the work ethic all techs should have.

LaFeet

« Reply #87 on: Apr 14, 2010, 05:52 »
I can think of all the great techs I have had the pleasure to serve with, but it's the really bad ones that still haunt my thoughts  >:(

longbow55

« Reply #88 on: Apr 14, 2010, 11:48 »
I can think of two people I would nominate. My wife being one of them. She has never met a stranger or a lost, confused person she would not help. After 12 hours sweating in containment or the cavity she always takes the time to help that person who alarms the monitor on the way out. She doesn't just do it but she breaks open the procedure to make sure she's doing it right. Her drive makes me better.

The second person I would like to nominate is a man named Bianconi. Someone asked if we thought he had actually read the ICRP, I assure he has. Working with the man was amazing. It was a daily lesson.

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
« Reply #89 on: Apr 15, 2010, 04:17 »
Anybody that worked at Three Mile Island during the first 3 months after the accident. Anyone that was there knows every job since then has been easy. 

Offline Rather Hunt Than Tech

• Light User
  • It's not Rocket Science we're only Splitting Atoms
« Reply #90 on: Apr 16, 2010, 10:29 »
It was fun reading through the HP hall of fame.  Names of people I know, names of people I've never met.  Some I've seen in the last couple years or so and some I haven't seen in years.  Memories, the good old days when we were all young.

Based on the choices for HP hall of fame, without a doubt it would have to be Chicago University.  Two other contenders could be Shippingport ( the first commercial nuclear power station ) or Dresden ( the first fully utility funded nuclear power station ).

Two nominees for the hall of fame would be Eli Crosby Sr. and the late Vern Taylor.
ATF: Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a Goverment Agency

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?