Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu What do Nukes (and familly/ friends) drive? honeypot

Poll

What kinds of vehicles to Nukeworkers and their friends/family drive?

Econocruiser
Sedan
Luxury
Truck
Big Diesel w/ special labels/ornamentation
Motorcycle
MInivan

Author Topic: What do Nukes (and familly/ friends) drive?  (Read 160044 times)

nukewood

Re: What do Nukes (and familly/ friends) drive?
« Reply #125 on: Jul 07, 2013, 07:41 »
I love the looks and running gear of the Escape , but my wife will not let go of her 1998 Ford Explorer Sport which she thinks is bigger and more useful. It only gets 19 mpg but it is paid for.

HeatherB.

« Reply #126 on: Jul 07, 2013, 10:30 »
BEST thing I've ever seen is a certain road tech who travels with a BIG truck hauling a RV/camper AND a cute itty bitty Smart Car IN THE BED of the truck. Stupid gas-guzzling truck to haul the camper, but a very smart & handy vehicle to get him to & from the plant every day. Wish I'd taken a picture...  ;D

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #127 on: Jul 08, 2013, 09:44 »
I love the looks and running gear of the Escape , but my wife will not let go of her 1998 Ford Explorer Sport which she thinks is bigger and more useful. It only gets 19 mpg but it is paid for.

The Sport model does have bigger exterior dimensions but does not have appreciably more interior dimensions or cargo room (about 1.5 cubic feet more). This is because of improvements in design between 1998 and say 2008 plus the platform for the Sport's interior and body on frame was based off the Ford Ranger pick up truck third generation circa 1993 whereas the Escape is a unique to self design on the CD2 unibody platform. Because the CD2 platform is essentially a passenger car platform the ride and stability are different than a truck derived platform. The 1998 Sport's electronic engine management is a lot less effective than a 2008 or newer Escape's and the safe tow rating is not better if an Escape with the factory tow package is being considered. Aftermarket tow packages for Ford Escapes is not something I would recommend. Add in the added bonus of active engine engagement when towing, selectable stability control functions and a better balance between power train capability and GCWR and the Escape is more useful for the typical driver pulling the occasional trailer.

Now, if you're a towing proficient truck purist who knows how to get the most from your rig in all circumstances the body on frame Explorer Sport has a few pluses. Except that your rig is an Explorer Sport, which is a mediocre tow rig at best and easily crosses into not good territory. And with a Class II/III hitch under the bumper the inadvertent crossing into not good territory is all too easy.

At the end of the day, "it's paid for" is the best reason for keeping the Sport, or just an honest "I like the way it looks" works too.

The Escape is a better vehicle on paper and day to day but, you have to be happy in it, happy counts for a lot.

And don't forget those stupid soy based seat coverings in the later Escapes really are not one of Ford's better ideas.

ETD!!!!

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #128 on: Jul 08, 2013, 09:54 »
BEST thing I've ever seen is a certain road tech who travels with a BIG truck hauling a RV/camper AND a cute itty bitty Smart Car IN THE BED of the truck. Stupid gas-guzzling truck to haul the camper, but a very smart & handy vehicle to get him to & from the plant every day. Wish I'd taken a picture...  ;D

A Class A diesel pusher towing an enclosed wedge trailer with a Fiat 500 and Ural Tourist inside is the ticket I prefer.  8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #129 on: Jul 08, 2013, 08:06 »
A Class A diesel pusher towing an enclosed wedge trailer with a Fiat 500 and Ural Tourist inside is the ticket I prefer.  8)

You meant Ural Yamal LE, right?  :P

http://www.imz-ural.com/2012-yamal-limited-edition/

Only motorcycle with an oar as standard equipment!

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #130 on: Jul 08, 2013, 08:08 »
You meant Ural Yamal LE, right?  :P

http://www.imz-ural.com/2012-yamal-limited-edition/

Only motorcycle with an oar as standard equipment!

nope, the Tourist,...

the Tourist can move 3 people at once, the Yamal,... only two,... 8)

(sic)

Offline yota

• Moderate User
« Reply #131 on: Aug 12, 2013, 12:08 »
2007.5 Dodge Mega Cab 6.7L Cummins 4x4 with the 6 speed auto as a daily driver. With an AFE intake, full turbo-back exhaust, EGR delete, and a Smarty handheld tuner I get 20 mpg city, 25 mpg hwy.

My "play car" is a 1999 Trans Am which is currently under the knife getting a new engine, transmission, Ford 9" rear axle, nitrous, intake, exhaust, suspension, wheels/tires, etc... Basically, everything that connects to the car to make it go, stop, or handle better is being heavily upgraded.

ridgerunner61

« Reply #132 on: Aug 12, 2013, 07:45 »
2003 Dodge Ram 1500

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
« Reply #133 on: Aug 13, 2013, 09:26 »
I love a good tailwind,,, both ways would be even better ;)

Have ya'll seen this,,,
[/youtube]

Gotta love those kipkay vid's 8)

Another method to increase mileage, without drawing the DEA attention.  I saw on the news this AM a report that drug stores are IDing people buying nail polish remover (acetone) as it can be used for meth production.
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Offline bill10249

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #134 on: Aug 14, 2013, 03:40 »
I just ordered my wife a 2014 Corvette Stingray Convertible for her Birthday in January now we will have 4 corvettes.  Money Does not make you happy, But , I will buy corvettes and corvettes make me happy.
trains stop at a train station, busses stop at a bus station and now I sit at a work station working for DOE - you decide

SpringChinook

« Reply #135 on: Jul 05, 2015, 01:18 »
2002 Honda Accord for a commuter vehicle and a 2011 Chevy Silverado to tow the boat and haul out the elk :)

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #136 on: Jul 10, 2015, 08:28 »
I just ordered my wife a 2014 Corvette Stingray Convertible for her Birthday in January now we will have 4 corvettes.  Money Does not make you happy, But , I will buy corvettes and corvettes make me happy.

I also drive a Corvette... but guitars, that's what really makes me happy :)
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #137 on: Jul 10, 2015, 10:15 »
My ten year old Dodge Magnum committed suicide so today I picked up a MB C300. Still drive the Crossfire. Plan on resurrecting the Magnum for a work vehicle if the price is right.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #138 on: Jul 11, 2015, 07:27 »
My ten year old Dodge Magnum committed suicide so today I picked up a MB C300. Still drive the Crossfire. Plan on resurrecting the Magnum for a work vehicle if the price is right.

oh yeah,...

"I'm too cool to drive a station wagon, but the wife said the Boxster had to go because she needed something where her Yorkies could ride in the back. And I'll be dead before I drive a minivan."

I feel your pain,.... [coffee]

at least she still likes the Crossfire,..............................her, you and six other Americans,...

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #139 on: Jul 12, 2015, 12:19 »
Actually 'the wife' liked the Magnum and so did I (and based on the fact that they are not easy to find used, so do most of the original owners.) I am not the least bit worried about perceptions of it being a station wagon (it is.) They are very versatile and drive very well, not to mention getting out of their own way in a big hurry.

As for the Crossfire, I am also not worried about owning a Mercedes SLK with a Chrysler badge on it because it still behaves like a MB and I paid about 2/3 of the cost of the SLK. If I wanted to drive what the crowd is driving I would buy a Ford... but that is not very likely unless I get a lobotomy.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #140 on: Jul 12, 2015, 11:04 »
Actually 'the wife' liked the Magnum and so did I (and based on the fact that they are not easy to find used, so do most of the original owners.) I am not the least bit worried about perceptions of it being a station wagon (it is.) They are very versatile and drive very well, not to mention getting out of their own way in a big hurry.

As for the Crossfire, I am also not worried about owning a Mercedes SLK with a Chrysler badge on it because it still behaves like a MB and I paid about 2/3 of the cost of the SLK. If I wanted to drive what the crowd is driving I would buy a Ford... but that is not very likely unless I get a lobotomy.

you too funny,... :P ;) :) 8)

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #141 on: Jul 12, 2015, 05:56 »
2015 White Subaru WRX with a "REAL Environmentalists ARE Pro-Nuclear Power" bumper sticker.
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

HAIRDUDE

« Reply #142 on: May 04, 2016, 02:26 »
Jaguar

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #143 on: May 04, 2016, 06:26 »
update: scratch the Escape, say hello to the Ford Transit LWB Wagon (with the tow package & 7 passenger seating),...

luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuv it,... 8)
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2016, 08:32 by GLW »

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #144 on: May 04, 2016, 09:19 »
'05 Neon bit the dust thanks to the local wildlife Fall of '14 and replaced with an '04 Olds Silhouette for a little while, now driving a more comfortable 2012 Fusion SE that had about 140,000 on it when I bought it.  Retired the '95 Dodge with an '05 Silverado 1500 4X4 with the aluminum block 5.3 engine.  (Makes me grin almost as much as the motorcycle does.... 8))
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #145 on: May 05, 2016, 09:04 »
04 F150 FX4 with the dreaded 5.4 3 valve, keeps me busy. Bought the wife a 2015 Honda Pilot in the fall of 14, she loves it. Seats 8 comfortably, but is small enough that she can still park it anywhere and it's about $20,000 cheaper then a Suburban. Back seats fold flat which is great this time of year as we are usually hauling ball gear either to a practice or a game.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #146 on: Jul 01, 2016, 04:43 »
New hitch cover from Etsy.

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #147 on: Jul 02, 2016, 11:38 »
I still drive a 2006 Focus!

Offline JasonConner

• Light User
« Reply #148 on: Jul 03, 2016, 12:23 »
2012 Lincoln MKZ.  I got a 2010 Ford Escape, too, but I'm trying to offload that one.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #149 on: Jul 03, 2016, 08:35 »
..... I got a 2010 Ford Escape, too, but I'm trying to offload that one.

dependent on the vehicle's condition now is a good time,...

the body style of the 2010 is aesthetically popular,...

a 2010 is a bit long in the tooth for resale value, better to get it done before the rust monster settles in (if you live in the rust belt or close to the coast),...

the plethora of plastic body panels mask the rust traps and the onset of chloride cancer, by the time you see the bubbling and flaking it's much worse than you think it is,...

unless you are one of those "detail oriented" types who actually crawls around under their vehicle and inspects for such things routinely to nip it in the bud as it were,...

if so, howdy comrade and enjoy the day!!!!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?