Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu What do Nukes (and familly/ friends) drive?

Poll

What kinds of vehicles to Nukeworkers and their friends/family drive?

Econocruiser
Sedan
Luxury
Truck
Big Diesel w/ special labels/ornamentation
Motorcycle
MInivan

Author Topic: What do Nukes (and familly/ friends) drive?  (Read 160032 times)

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Re: What do Nukes (and familly/ friends) drive?
« Reply #25 on: Apr 05, 2007, 05:51 »
If nobody bought a foreign car that was "built" in America, those jobs would go to GM, Ford and Chrysler employees.  The same people would have jobs - only they would be putting together cars that are made from (mostly) American parts and American steel.

Japanese cars "produced" in America are assembled here from Japanese-made parts, using steel from Japan.  The profits go home to Japan and support the Japanese government and economy - which heavily subsidizes the Japanese auto industry.

An Accura is a Honda with the top of the H bent in.  It has a Honda engine and all Japanese parts.  A Lexus is a Toyota that costs 3 times as much because they put leather seats in it.

I used to love my BMW.  I'm probably not going to buy another one though - even though it is one of the finest production cars in the world.

I'm not saying that these are badly-made cars.  They are fine.  But Americans need to support American industry - who in turn should be expected to be good citizens of the country.  Any American brand who moves its corporate HQ overseas or outsources to cheap labor abroad is American in name only, and we shouldn't buy from them either.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

rlbinc

« Reply #26 on: Apr 05, 2007, 07:28 »
2005 Honda Civic.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #27 on: Apr 06, 2007, 12:18 »
Until GM, Dodge, Ford, Chevy, or any other company that builds so called US cars can come up with something that will last at least as long as a Toyota, I'm sticking with a Toyota. It doesn't matter if those companies offer a one hundred thousand mile / ten year or not. For my money, I'll take the three year / thirty six thousand, with a lot less headache.

Them there Toyota's do out last most everything else, that's for sure.  But I will make the argument that most of the car companies out there including the big 3 make a pretty decent car these days, just took a decade or so for the GM, Fords, Chryslers to start to catch up.

Did ya know...

Honda's Ohio-built Accord is 70% domestic parts. Toyota's Corolla is made in a California plant alongside General Motors models.

Ford Fusion sedan is made in Mexico; only half its parts are from the USA or Canada. GM pitches its small HHR sport utility and giant Suburban straight at the American market, but they, too, are built in Mexico. HHR has only 41% American and Canadian parts.

More than three-quarters of the parts in Dodge's new Nitro SUV, which is assembled in Toledo, Ohio, are American or Canadian. But the profits go to Germany because Dodge is part of DaimlerChrysler. Chrysler Group, meanwhile, just became the first major automaker to announce it's going to make small cars for the U.S. market in China.

It certainly is hard these days to know who your auto dollars are really supporting.

Few more interesting facts...

USA models built in Mexico or Canada: (Check out the Truck brands)

Buik Rendezvous
Cadillac Escalade EXT & ESV
Chevrolet Avalanche
Chevrolet HHR
Chevrolet Silverado
Chevrolet Suburban
Chrysler PT Cruiser
Dodge Ram
Ford Fusion
GMC Sierra
GMC Yukon XL
Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ
Mercury Milan
Buick LaCrosse/Allure   
Ford Crown Victoria 
Chevrolet Equinox   
Ford Edge 
Chevrolet Impala   
Ford Freestar 
Chevrolet Monte Carlo   
GMC Sierra 
Chevrolet Silverado   
Lincoln MKX 
Chrysler 300   
Mercury Grand Marquis 
Chrysler minivans   
Mercury Monterey 
Chrysler Pacifica   
Pontiac Grand Prix 
 Dodge Charger   
Pontiac Torrent 
Dodge Magnum 

Import models built in the USA: (Interesting list, and suprisingly long...)

Acura RDX   
Mitsubishi Raider 
Acura TL   
Nissan Altima 
BMW X5   
Nissan Armada 
BMW Z4   
Nissan Frontier 
Honda Accord
Nissan Maxima 
Honda Civic
Nissan Pathfinder 
Honda Element   
Nissan Quest 
Honda Odyssey   
Nissan Titan 
Honda Pilot   
Nissan Xterra 
Hyundai Santa Fe   
Saab 9-7X 
Hyundai Sonata   
Subaru B9 Tribeca 
Infiniti QX56   
Subaru Baja 
Isuzu Ascender EXT   
Subaru Legacy 
Isuzu i-280, 1-350 pickup   
Toyota Avalon 
Mazda B-Series   
Toyota Camry 
Mazda6   
Toyota Camry Hybrid 
Mazda Tribute   
Toyota Corolla 
Mercedes-Benz GL-Class   
Toyota Sequoia 
Mercedes-Benz M-Class   
Toyota Sienna 
Mercedes-Benz R-class   
Toyota Solara 
Mitsubishi Eclipse   
Toyota Tacoma 
Mitsubishi Endeavor   
Toyota Tundra 
Mitsubishi Galant 

I will also mention that I have 2 friends that both work for Toyota in San Antonio, TX.  One jumped ship from Delphi a few years ago because he knew there was no future in it.  The other jumped ship from Chrysler for the same reason.  The American auto workers that work for Toyota have no fear of loosing their job due to cuts in production or declining domestic sales.  Unfortunately that is not the case with the big 3.  I have literally dozens of people that I know personally that are out of work from Ford and GM plants closing, Chrysler cut backs and Delphi bankruptcy.  It is a sad situation.
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2007, 12:21 by Bat Man »
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #28 on: Apr 06, 2007, 08:01 »
Hummer H2.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #29 on: Apr 06, 2007, 09:06 »
More than three-quarters of the parts in Dodge's new Nitro SUV, which is assembled in Toledo, Ohio, are American or Canadian. But the profits go to Germany because Dodge is part of DaimlerChrysler.

Actually the debts are going there!
I drive "American" cares, even though I can't prove it is more patriotic to drive a Mexican-made car with a US badge than an Ohio-made car with a Japanese badge. I drive them because they look and sound good.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Fermi2

« Reply #30 on: Apr 06, 2007, 11:49 »
I have never been in a foreign car, even for a ride. I'll walk first.

Oh and in answer to question 2. I used to ride a Harley but I can't ride a bike now due to broken elbows. I guess if I could I'd be riding one now. Pretty much whatever vehicle I'm currently driving is my dream car.

Mike
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2007, 11:54 by Broadzilla »

rlbinc

« Reply #31 on: Apr 06, 2007, 12:52 »
You might walk first, if that's how you count pennies.

I'm a roadie and I put 30,000 miles a year on a car. This car cost 14,750 on CarsDirect, gets over 35 mpg and has an extremely low maintenance cost. I change the Mobil 1 oil every 7500 miles. I'll drive it 7 years, put 200k miles on it and sell it to a college kid when I'm done.

Since I work for my own company, I get my 48.5 cents per mile.

Does your vehicle pay this well?

diliigaf

« Reply #32 on: Apr 06, 2007, 01:12 »

8)     I drive a 2003 F150 Harley Davidson anniversary edition ( supercharged 400 plus horsepower ) and a 1986 Harley Davidson FXRS.... I too refuse to drive foreign vehicles, I wish more AMERICANS would do the same...   
      But that's why our country is becoming inferior to others, (loyalty)...  I suppose most people forget how we won WWII, we were not reliant on any other country but our own... We were loyal and faithful... Stick that in your pipe and smoke it... >:(

When I shop for clothes and other items I always look at the tag first to see if it is made in America....
      When my last truck got backed into and the insurance company went to give me a rental I refused what they offered, it was a Nissan...  I told them I would only take an American vehicle.  You should of heard their response, but I got my request... Take care... ;D

Peace  8)

Fermi2

« Reply #33 on: Apr 06, 2007, 01:31 »
You might walk first, if that's how you count pennies.

I'm a roadie and I put 30,000 miles a year on a car. This car cost 14,750 on CarsDirect, gets over 35 mpg and has an extremely low maintenance cost. I change the Mobil 1 oil every 7500 miles. I'll drive it 7 years, put 200k miles on it and sell it to a college kid when I'm done.

Since I work for my own company, I get my 48.5 cents per mile.

Does your vehicle pay this well?

I will absolutely walk first and have. The last time I had a flat tire was on a 20 degree day in Michigan. I was 4 miles from home, 2 miles from a phone. I was offered a ride by a nice person in a foreign car. I said no thank you. If I had a choice between a car that I have to pay 2 dollars for a mile and a foreign car that I pay a penny for a mile I'll drive the American brand.

Mike

diliigaf

« Reply #34 on: Apr 06, 2007, 01:33 »

Karma to you BZ... 8)

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #35 on: Apr 06, 2007, 01:56 »
I have bought three foreign cars in my life (2 Alfa Romeos and a Honda Civic) all when I was in my twenties before the concept of foreign car makers taking over was an issue. Since 1982 I have bought Chrysler products and have been very happy with them all. Now that Chrysler is a 'foreign' company I feel like I have just a bit of a dilemma, but my Magnum is largely US made and I just couldn't resist the Crossfire. It appears that Chrysler will once again be an American company soon if Mr. Kerkorian has his way.

I am not as obsessed as BZ (imagine my surprise) but I do believe in 'Buy American', even after living in Michigan and realizing that the American car manufacturers made their own proverbial bed.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

diliigaf

« Reply #36 on: Apr 06, 2007, 02:09 »

I too have had 3 foreign autos in my life, a Toyota a Nissan and a Honda...  :(    As well I rode Jap bikes when I was young ( very young), the faster the better ( used to race them) a long time ago..
      But that was when this country was still dependent (for the most part) of its self....
  Then I grew up and have seen how we are selling ourselves out... Not good.

I wouldn't own a foreign auto if given one, period. >:(

Peace  8)

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #37 on: Apr 06, 2007, 03:13 »
I am all about American made products.  I love my country and want to support it by purchasing products made here.  I have owned somewhere around 30 cars in my life time and 29 of them had a domestic badge on them.  Sorry but I just don't have the patratisim for the "Amercian" auto makers any more, they sold us out years ago.  If there is a Chevy, Ford, Chrysler that I like, I buy it, but only because I like it.  If you really think that your are being patriotic when you buy a car from the big 3 and won't even get into a car with a foriegn name on it, your logic is suspect (look at the lists in my last post).  None of them are All American and many of them are only part American and some of them are None American.  GM, Ford and Chrysler consider themselves a "Global Auto Manufacturer", they don't care about being patriotic or providing jobs for the American working class, they care about the bottom line and shareholders, period.  If creating Flint Michigans accross the country will help the operating income they will do it all day long and not loose a wink of sleep.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

rlbinc

« Reply #38 on: Apr 06, 2007, 03:21 »
GM outsourced engine manufacturing to Mexico in the 1980s.
(Hint: that Hecho en Mexico casting on your engine block)
Chrysler sold you a Japanese car as a Dodge Colt before that.
Ford did the same thing. Mazdas and Fords rolled off the Flat Rock Michigan assembly line.

My Harley FLHTCUI has German Bosch Ignition and Fuel Injection, Italian Cast Cylinders, and German Metzeler Tires. It seems to run better than the 1967 XLCH I had with a Fairbanks Morse Magneto, a Tillotson Carburetor, Milwaukee Iron Cylinders, and Goodyear Tires.

I'd buy a mass produced American car if there was one. There hasn't been one in years.

But the former IBEW (LU 51, Springfield, IL) guy in me admires your resolve to remember days gone by.

I remember back when most US jobs had pensions and benefits.

Then 1975 happened.

Offline Jack U. Loyd

• Light User
« Reply #39 on: Apr 07, 2007, 11:02 »
Drive a Titan.... Fish a tournament flats boat...Ride a Big Dog Bulldog....Hey Dilligaf..How are ya?  I remember when you slapped pipes on that bad#&% fxr at South Texas. Later All.

Offline HousePuke

• ALARA Coordinator / Rad Engineer
  • Heavy User
  • If you don't like it here, go somewhere else!
« Reply #40 on: Apr 08, 2007, 07:59 »
I too have owned at least 30 cars in my life and only about 5 had american name plates.  All 5 were BIG disappointments.  Out of approximately 25 foreign cars only 2 were disappointments.  My choice in the cars I buy (or any other product) has nothing to do with my patriotism.  I am every bit as patriotic as anyone posting here.  My choices are about quality and desireability.
This nonsense about buy american because it's the right thing to do is BS.  We're in a global economy.  Get used to it.
'nough said.
Irish diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell such that he looks forward to making the trip.

Inspite of inflation, a penny is still a fair price for most peoples thoughts.

allforthenukie

« Reply #41 on: Apr 08, 2007, 08:53 »
When I first hit the road it seemed the weapon of choice for road techs was a Chevy S10 Blazer or full size SUV type vehicle. I was driving a rusty 1974 Impala then. When I made senior and could afford better I got a Chevy fullsize pickup with extended cab and four wheel drive. All my stuff fits safe and dry in the back of the cab. The four wheel drive goes fine through the snow. It has a small V8 and stickshift so it's not too bad on gas. And it can haul and tow if needed. Ready for anything! To me the full size extender cab pickup is the perfect vehicle for a migrant nukeworker. Just my opinion.

Offline stormgoalie

• Former RP Supervisor, now an Engineer......
  • Very Heavy User
  • Go fast or go home!
« Reply #42 on: Apr 10, 2007, 09:44 »
WOW did this thread go way off topic or is it just me ??? To say "Buy American" (seems that this slogan has been around most of my life) is a good and noble saying, but the reality of it is that much of what Americans buy is that they believe is made in the US is more likely assembled in the US.  Most major corporations will outsource their parts manufacturing to a foreign company and just put the parts together in the States.  Back in the days when the States was a major player on the world market and less reliant on foreign countries for consumer items this wasn't an issue, now the coin has flipped and the US has slipped in to being a consumer and not a supplier.  If people want to look for a root cause for this I would have to say it is the quality of life expectations of people living in the US.  We (I am an American that lives in Canada, but only for the past 6 years).  We have priced (wages, benefits, etc.) right out of the market place.  Corporations are in business to make money and when labour costs are too high, they look elsewhere. 

All of the above is just one man's humble opinion.

Jim Rodgers
WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, or blasphemy.

Offline stormgoalie

• Former RP Supervisor, now an Engineer......
  • Very Heavy User
  • Go fast or go home!
« Reply #43 on: Apr 10, 2007, 12:30 »
OOOOPS, should have previewed my post before submitting LOL.  I just re-read and realized that I shouldn't have been multi-tasking while attempting to write my posting.  Please forgive the editorial issues.

Cheers,
Jim Rodgers
WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, or blasphemy.

Marco

« Reply #44 on: Apr 10, 2007, 02:17 »
I stopped driving foreign cars when I realized that I live, work, and pay taxes in the United States of America, and Honda, BMW, and Toyota are not going to give a damn if the US economy goes bankrupt.  I have fewer opportunities to buy American made goods all the time.  I'm going to buy American cars as long as they make them here.
[/quote]

Hey Beercourt, there are some foreign cars which are actually built in the US. There are working US citizens, which pay taxes as well.

I live in a "car country" and I drive a 2002 Nissan Primera (Shame on me), and my wife a 2001 Renault Megane Convertible. German cars are too expensive in this part of Europe, so people tend to buy  mostly foreign cars.
A lot of German cars are manufactured beyond the former "iron curtain", so I don't really have a problem with driving an Asian car.

I would love to drive a US SUV (Jeep Grand Cherokee or something), but gas prices are too high in Europe, so I would work the half month for the car. :D

Austria

« Reply #45 on: Apr 11, 2007, 08:40 »
Japanese cars "produced" in America are assembled here from Japanese-made parts, using steel from Japan. 

Um, not exactly. Check out
  http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB114731076341249773-vC7NDlPLXotsdDHpLbpm5Ewbo9E_20060610.html?mod=tff_article

Granted, this is a complex issue from many sides but the old "Buy American" attitude doesn't really help. That's part of what got us into so much trouble in the first place. We were complacent enough to buy cars that had to be replaced every 3 or 4 years because they rusted out or just broke down. We didn't care. They were cheap and so was the gas. The auto industry happily went along and after a 'gas crisis' or two, they found themselves unable to compete and catch up with both foreign competition and a suddenly more fickle U.S. market demanding more efficient cars. 

That said, I have owned many US autos and have had good and bad ones. Loved my 1990 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4, (for example) which was the last new US vehicle I bought. Ran great with the 4.0, was very reliable and spent very little time in the shop.
On the other hand, the 2003 Fiat Punto we own here is an absolutely fantastic little car. I remember when Fiat stood for "Fix It Again, Tony" but so far this has been THE most reliable auto I've ever owned. Small as it is, it seats four adults comfortably and is actually quieter, more stable, and smoother at highway speeds (80mph here) than any larger American car I've rented back in the US recently. And being a long time fan of many American cars, I can say I was more than a little surprised at this. Our next car will probably be a Fiat as well.

Living in Austria, it is surprising to hear how much trouble Ford is having back home. They are doing quite well in Europe. The British think that Ford has actually improved Jaguar, Aston Martin, and Land Rover since taking them over some years ago. Ford is a global company and has a much larger brand presence here than GM, but GM is actually increasing their market share here. There are loads of Chryslers on the road here as well, all proudly displaying a "Made in Austria" badge.

Ford, GM, and Chrysler need to figure out a way to translate their successes overseas into success back home.

Nuke Lifer

« Reply #46 on: Apr 11, 2007, 09:07 »
You can argue the Made in America deal ALL DAY LONG.
I ask another question; Where do the profits go?

In the end, do we Americans REALLY want to lose our heritage? What if Ford does go bankrupt? Ford is THE American ICON of manufacturing. Ford INVENTED the modern concept of the assembly line.

If we keep going the way we are, we'll lose our place in the world economy and manufacturing. The start of the fall, for once the greatest nation in the world will be dependant on foreign supply for everything. Buy American seems to be an out-dated slogan that's more important than we realize. We're already dependant on Wal-Mart for supplying us with Cheap Chineese crap.

OK, back to the original subject: There was no choice for my rides.........
Me? I drive a 67 Chevy with a dual quad 427 5 speed and a Chevy Suburban. For economy, I hop on my Motorcycle or drive my 283 powered El Camino. Screw that Jap crap!!!!

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #47 on: Apr 11, 2007, 09:45 »
Where do the profits go?  Where do the profits go?...

Not an unimportant question but, I do know that if Toyota creates over 120,000 jobs directly and indirectly (auto workers and dealer sales/service employee's) in this country and there are...lets say 4 (conservative, really more like 6 or 7) lower paying jobs that are supported in these areas (Walmart, gas station, McDonalds etc.).
If the average autoworker and dealership worker makes $50,000/year and the clerk at the gas station, local Walmart etc. makes $8/hr and don't even consider any benefits that are tacked on to these wages you'll start to see that because Toyota produces over 1 million autos in this country it directly and indirectly pumps TENS OF BILLIONS of dollars into the American economy.

With all of that do I really care if Toyota's profit margin ($180'ish billion dollar company operating on a 6.7% profit margin) go's to Japan?  Not really...  And, if this still bothers you, buy Toyota stock.  Own part of the company.  It outperforms any domestic car brand stock.

Kind of crude calculations but ball park and you see what I am getting at.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

LaFeet

« Reply #48 on: Apr 25, 2007, 07:36 »
 I have a number of vehicle... but mainly use my beast Montero while working.

As for chosing either American or foreign cars... I choose that vehicle that suits my needs.  I have not bought a new "work" vehicle, and the quality is such that i believe I can put on another 200000 miles on it (only 212200 on rolling).

Its kinda like beer... some of you drink that fizzy yellow s***..  while I prefer beer that has character and flavor

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #49 on: Apr 25, 2007, 08:36 »
Still rolling along, huh? Washed it yet?
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?