Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Pennsylvania Unemployment Compensation question

Author Topic: Pennsylvania Unemployment Compensation question  (Read 95332 times)

LeeJ

Pennsylvania Unemployment Compensation question
« on: Apr 02, 2007, 05:32 »
There is a place to start a claim online.
http://www.dli.state.pa.us/landi/cwp/view.asp?a=357&q=236834
do i have to be in the state to start one?
I have read alot and cant find an answer.

I know Mass you have to go in person.
dont think i can do that right now.

has anyone filed in Penn that can give me some pointers?

Thanks

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Re: Pennsylvania Unemployment Compensation question
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2007, 08:50 »
The guys here at work say that you can start a PA claim online without going to PA.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

jowlman

« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2007, 09:32 »
The rules of the game say that you physically have to be in the state when you file. There is a box on the form when you fill it out online that says that you are in the state. If you try to call instead of using the internet they have caller ID so they know if you are in state. As far as online goes you have to gamble on if they will investigate where you are signing on from.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2007, 11:00 »
When I called to file, they DID caller ID me, and I just said that I am on a cell phone, but IN state.  (It was true) They can't prove otherwise.  -- I did that to Mass.  It helped that I had just worked there for 10 months...
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2007, 11:07 by Rennhack »

kaveman32

« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2007, 11:49 »
i have a current claim in pa. and they did call id me. i believe if you are not a resident you must call from a land line or a pa based cell. as far as claiming online i think its for residents only to open a claim....but once you establish a claim you can file your bi-weekly claim online.
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2007, 11:51 by kaveman32 »

LeeJ

« Reply #5 on: Apr 12, 2007, 07:34 »
well i sent an email and asked them.

"In response to your recent email.

You can file for benefits over the Internet from any state.

I trust this satisfactorily answers your e-mail.  If you have further questions, please contact the UC Service Center at 1-888-313-7284.

e-Customer Services
PA Department of Labor and Industry
7th and Forster Streets, Room 612
Harrisburg, PA  17121"

http://www.dli.state.pa.us/landi/cwp/view.asp?a=355&q=235224

I filed over the internet. i checked yes i was in state. they called me 2 days later. call went to voice mail. I called them back the next day and all they asked me was if i worked more than 18 weeks. the lady already had pulled my info on money i made and contractors i worked for. 2 more days got all paper work in snailmail. I will add info on how long it took to get money when that happens. :)

http://www.dli.state.pa.us/landi/cwp/view.asp?a=357&q=236792#calc
The $520 maximum applies only to new claims filed on or after January 7, 2007 and does not affect claims filed before that date. 12,938 - or more...However, to be eligible for the highest benefit rate, at least 20 per cent of the total qualifying wage (as in Part C of the Rate and Amount of Benefits Chart) must have been paid in one or more quarters other than in your High Quarter.

hope this helps someone.

BONERATLER

« Reply #6 on: Apr 14, 2007, 09:23 »
...another bit of unemployment info...if and when your claim runs out do to funds,,being exhausted,,,you can go to another state and file there...legally,,,but you have to state that you have an open claim in another state....you can do this twice....My claim ran out in January, and the office I was using in Mass. told me what to do, the only drawback is after you go back to work and have only worked minimum weeks then your future check is weak....but if you need it its there....

LeeJ

« Reply #7 on: Apr 18, 2007, 06:48 »
did my first claim sunday and money was direct deposited Wednesday morning.
they said it might take 4 weeks but it only took 3 days.

kaveman32

« Reply #8 on: Apr 19, 2007, 08:53 »
BONE..i would like to know more info about refiling in another state after money runs out in another...last bi weekly comes next week..current claim is in pa.
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2007, 08:55 by kaveman32 »

LeeJ

« Reply #9 on: Apr 21, 2007, 09:30 »
all i found on it was...

http://www.dli.state.pa.us/landi/cwp/view.asp?a=357&q=236834
Wages in Other States

If a worker has wages in another state, the worker may be able to establish a claim against that state after the maximum entitlement to Pennsylvania UC benefits has been exhausted.

Rob143

« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2007, 11:14 »
When I called to file, they DID caller ID me, and I just said that I am on a cell phone, but IN state.  (It was true) They can't prove otherwise.  -- I did that to Mass.  It helped that I had just worked there for 10 months...

http://www.dli.state.pa.us/landi/cwp/view.asp?a=358&q=237926

They most certainly can ID you if you call the 888-313-7284 number.

You should however be able to use one of the local toll numbers and *67 call block it.  After all with cells these days nothing is toll within the US anyway.

Of course with online being a simple check box this may be moot anyway, but if it helps anybody that's great.

Allentown: 610-821-6735
Altoona: 814-946-7224
Duquesne: 412-267-1315
Erie: 814-871-4311
Indiana: 724-599-1250
Lancaster: 717-299-7711
Philadelphia: 215-856-6990
Scranton: 570-496-2332

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2007, 12:49 »
Pennsylvania knew i had initiated my claim from NY and denied me until I went to PA and called.  So don't assume you can use the internet from ANYWHERE, you have to be in PA to use the INET as well.  Cost me 2 weeks of 500$ a week.  CRAP!

justatech

« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2007, 09:04 »
WHATEVER YOU DO - DO NOT CALL THE BEAVER OFFICE.

I called Beaver's branch - I had to explain the law to 3 different   - I am assuming it was 3 different clerks   :-\  or personalities  ::) for some reason they think they own that money - forget you pay into it  >:(

I suggest calling the Erie office - they are well versed in the state law.
Everytime I have called the Erie office - they knew exactly what I meant about working 2 or MORE states....................... .they chit chat - joke with you and ask about the field, where you've been and what is it like etc.  Very pleasant group of government people to work with.

DID I MENTION THEY ARE ONE OF THE HIGHER PAYING STATES?

;D THUMBS UP TO THE ERIE ENJOYMENT OFFICE  ;D   

Rob143

« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2008, 08:03 »
DID I MENTION THEY ARE ONE OF THE HIGHER PAYING STATES?   

$539/wk max as of 1/6/2008.  The dependent allowance however is still the same pathetic $5 for the first and $3 for the second for a max total of $8 that it has been for at least the last 30 years.  I remember my dad collecting $8 for my sister and I when we were yeah talls back in the early 70's, and they couldn't feed the two of us for $8 a week even back then.

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2008, 08:37 »
Why PA when Mass pays so much more??

Rob143

« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2008, 09:15 »
I dunno.  I'm a PA resident and I'm on my 4th Mass claim as of last November.  The only reasons I can see to claim PA is if your qualifying wages don't max you out in Mass and you could get more from PA, or you've exhausted a Mass claim before your claim year expires and you're eligible to open a PA claim.  I simply updated the current max for PA for anybody who might benefit from that info.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2008, 09:28 »
yes, those are the only 2 reasons I would claim PA vs MASS. 

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2008, 12:25 »
I tried that hoppster when I filed from NY for PA.  They rejected my claim because they could see I didn't file from PA, I guess my IP address. 

That was 2006, maybe things have changed.

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2008, 07:10 »
I tried that hoppster when I filed from NY for PA.  They rejected my claim because they could see I didn't file from PA, I guess my IP address. 

That was 2006, maybe things have changed.

Hammy,

I called them (PA UE office) when we both left the Cookie Farm (2006) and they told me I could use the internet. I called them from a cell phone so they didn't know where I was when I called. I went home to NV and filed over the internet from there. After I filed they called me to verify my address in NV where I wanted the money sent, but never said boo about filing from home. Go figure :-\

Maybe I just caught someone in a good mood, hey it happens.  ???
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

tinkfreak

« Reply #19 on: Jan 28, 2008, 03:01 »
ok. i dont know if i am doing this right or not. i just joined a few minutes ago.  i have a question to ask, not one to answer.  i had been on pa unemployment that ended 5 months ago.  i am allowed to file another claim after 6 months of the last claim ending and of course earning a percentage of the last claim.  anyway............... what i wanted to know is if i can file the claim if i get a 1099 from a self employed person showing that i worked for him.  this would state the $ i need to earn for re-applying.  im not sure how the selfemployed thing works.  i have it figured out that the claim will go against the benefit year of my last "real" employer, but am not sure of the self employed thing and unenployment benefits

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #20 on: Jan 28, 2008, 06:37 »
It isn't like that.
The distinction here is that a 1099 is a tax record.  Unemployment wage reporting is totally unrelated to tax records.
Getting a 1099 from a self-employed person means that you would have to have earned that money from him.  He would be committing a federal crime (and making you liable for income tax, and making you an accomplice to the crime) by filing a false 1099.

A 1099 in and of itself is indicative that you were self-employed yourself.  That would disqualify you from any unemployment benefits (under almost all circumstances).

If you worked for him as an employee (for real, not just on paper) he would give you a W-2 NOT a 1099.  This is still totally irrelevant to unemployment.

Best thing to do .... go to the unemployment office ans ask THEM what to do.  Then ask the UI office from another state.  After you get those answers, post them here and we'll help you figure it out.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

jimmyt1962

« Reply #21 on: Dec 28, 2008, 08:56 »
During the week of December 21, 2008 due to the holiday, and I was under the weather, was unable to file my unemployment claim. Today, Sunday, December 28th, I filed via phone and it stated my account is inactive and must file a new application to reopen the application. The application had already had my previous infomation on it, but asked for my last place employment and why I left. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 28, 2008, 11:21 »
During the week of December 21, 2008 due to the holiday, and I was under the weather, was unable to file my unemployment claim. Today, Sunday, December 28th, I filed via phone and it stated my account is inactive and must file a new application to reopen the application. The application had already had my previous infomation on it, but asked for my last place employment and why I left. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Ahh..good ole PA unen-joyment!
work 18 weeks & get 26 weeks worth of it DD into the account!
I had drawn from Pa for more than 10 years & by the time i had drawn for the last time it was the easier than ever!
All you have to do is FILE YOUR CLAIM!!
I was never so sick that i couldn't log into may account & file my 2 claim weeks esp when it asks if the 2nd week is the same as the first!
You'll have to call on Mon. & try & talk to a human & give all your lame excuses!

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #23 on: Jan 08, 2009, 06:28 »
what i wanted to know is if i can file the claim if i get a 1099 from a self employed person showing that i worked for him.  this would state the $ i need to earn for re-applying.  im not sure how the selfemployed thing works. 

If you are self employed and pay the UC insurance, then you can collect.  If you don't pay the insurance you cannot collect.  Best thing to do, is take a job at Sheetz, puke on the floor, go home sick, and call off until they fire you.  Then you can collect UC because being fired for illness is not a justifiable reason to deny UC.  Or, the alternative is to get a job, keep going to work, pay your taxes, and enjoy life in Pennsylvania.

Offline bsdnuke

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2011, 08:01 »
Group,

I just had an eye awakening experience with filing in PA.

Because I worked for employers that were not in PA, I could not file for the PA multi-state. 

This is what I was told by the PA UC person.

Essentially, you must have some W2 wage in PA or else they cannot pursue the multi-state claim.

So when I do the 2010 taxes PA return gets filed because I am a resident and they go after (CA and NY) for their share of the coin. But I will have to file against CA who then want me to provide employment information for the last 24 months.

If I had PA unemployment, PA would not get taxes but if (when) I get the CA loot, they will tax it (I think, we'll have to see).

Unbelievable experience.  Heaven help anyone that needed to get support from the state either.

Any body want to chime in on this one??

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?