Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Bernie Barker

Author Topic: Bernie Barker  (Read 18675 times)

Offline llamagramma

• FSS SR RP Tech/ Decomissioning
  • Light User
  • Have you kissed a Llama lately?
Bernie Barker
« on: Apr 05, 2007, 08:48 »

Las Vegas SUN
March 29, 2007
... the message was a note from Amanda Barker, Bernie's daughter, with the sad news that Barker died on March 21 at age 66 at the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. Amanda Barker said the family learned he was stricken with cancer of the liver and the esophagus on March 18.

At age 60, Barker pitched his career in real estate after winning a male strip contest in a club in Miami. Over time he won 42 such contests and found he could make a living dancing in (and out of) studded leather costumes.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: Bernie Barker
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2007, 12:22 »
I'm very sorry to hear this. I remember him from Point Beach many moons ago he was a very colorful character and fun to work with.

Offline oldceltjohn

• Lurker
  • SANS PEUR
« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2007, 12:42 »
I also worked with Bernie at Point Beach in the early 80's. I called him disco Bernie at that time and thought this guy will live forever( he ran to and from work most days). And could he party.
The last time I saw him was on tv doing a striptease, he knew how to live, I'll see you in Valhalla.

If you can fill every minute with 60 seconds worth of distance run, then you are a man (kipling)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2007, 01:27 »
I also worked with Bernie at Point Beach in the early 80's. I called him disco Bernie at that time and thought this guy will live forever( he ran to and from work most days). And could he party.

I had forgotten about the disco and his shoes with goldfish in the heels. He was one of a kind.

Radeng

« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2007, 01:28 »
I also worked with Bernie at Point beach back in 1982 and he was a good person. I saw Bernie on TV and he looked good and always smiling. God Bless You my Man. Always remember the good times.
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2007, 01:31 by Radeng »

Fermione

« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2007, 01:48 »
A while back I was in Vegas for shipping school so I emailed him and we met at the hotel I was staying at.  It was great to see him (we go way back to the original Numanc days).  He was having the time of his life out there in the west.  He was doing a walk on in a movie, his private dancing service, and still dressing to the "T". 

It is very sad to lose a good friend.

Bernie tubesheet barker will be missed.

Bernie Barker (USA) (b. July 31, 1940), a regular performer at Club LeBare, Miami Beach, Florida, USA, began his career in 2000 at the age of 60 as a way to get in shape after recovering from prostate cancer. Since leaving his previous job of selling real estate, he has won over 30 contests.

Femione

Offline incrediblehulk

• Moderate User
  • Dum vivimus, vivamus!!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 05, 2007, 05:22 »
Another one of the true characters of the industry gone. I worked with Bernie when he was a junior...the only junior at Point beach, if I remember right. He was always ready to help out a newbie to the business and was quick with a smile and a joke. Condolences to his family. Bernie left behind a wealth of great stories and a million smiles for those who were lucky enough to have known him.
Life is short. That is all there is to say. Get what you can from the present - thoughtfully, justly.
                               - Marcus Aurelius

Liberty is never unalienable. It must be redeemed regularly with the blood of patriots or it always vanishes.
                          -R.A. Heinlein

nukewood

« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2007, 07:12 »
Disco Bernie will be remembered by many of us from Pt.Beach days for his smile and dedication to helping us make Sr. Tech way ahead of schedule.A man of integity.

radmandave

« Reply #8 on: Apr 07, 2007, 11:04 »
I worked for Bernie at McGuire.  He was the site coordinator.  I heard all the scare stories before I got to the site.  His knickname was "FU Bernie Barker," i.e., if you need something, the answer is "FU."  I found those stories to be completely inaccurate.  I requested day shift when I arrived, and, of course, I was assigned to nights.  I never met Bernie until the outage was several weeks old.  He came in one night on backshift.  We sat down, and he began to give me advice.  We spent several hours talking.  I found him to be a very personable and compassionate individual.  I'm sorry to hear of his passing.  May God Bless his soul.

Dave Karr   

radman5030

« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2009, 02:14 »
You are misse Bernie, you were one in a million.

Rest in Peace dear friend. Our loss is heavens gain, I bet you are keeping them entertained.

Your memory brings a smile to my heart. Your stories live on....

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?