Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Options for Officers w/ B.S. Nuke-E  

Author Topic: Options for Officers w/ B.S. Nuke-E  (Read 6076 times)

csernmi

Options for Officers w/ B.S. Nuke-E
« on: Apr 16, 2007, 05:57 »
I read a few posts down the line somewhat related to this one, but I had a few other questions:
      I'm a LT currently serving at NPTU Ballston Spa. I've done a tour as a Shift Engineer and a short stint as the Operations Officer. Currently, I'm working for the Senior Evaluation Officer. I'll be rotating out of the Navy in May 2008 and I hold a bachelor's degree in Nuclear Engineering from Purdue University. I've been looking into various project management jobs with non-nuclear companies, but I feel that it would be a shame to let my 13+ years of nuclear education / experience go to waste. I don't have a lot of knowledge in what jobs I would be best suited for, salaries to expect, or how to go about searching and applying.
       I have some contacts in the field that have told me to look into SRO jobs. Are their any other opportunities out there besides SRO which can use my skill set? What kind of a pay cut / pay raise should I expect (I currently make ~80k before taxes). Lastly, some other folks have posted here that I should wait until I'm 6 mos. from getting out to start looking for jobs. Most of my contacts within Excelon, FPL, and the like have told me to start much sooner. Any advice? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Options for Officers w/ B.S. Nuke-E
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2007, 09:05 »
With your degree and experience, you could end up working pretty much anywhere you wanted at a site (best fits are probably operations, reactor engineering, quality assurance/oversight, systems engineering, project management).  With operations (SRO or not) you're probably looking at shiftwork sometime in the near future.  In the engineering world, shift work typically only happens during refueling outages.  Engineer pay should probably be 80K+ easily (we bring our new college engineers around ~70K).  Ops pay is much more dependent on overtime, and whether or not you are union.

If they have started hiring by then, I try to get in on any new reactors (South Texas Project 3&4, North Anna 3, etc).  It's a great experience to see a plant from construction to operation.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2007, 09:11 »
Well, if I am getting interviews/offers for SRO and positions with similar salaries, than you certainly at least should be able to do that. I am where you are (NPTU Ballston Spa, MARF) but I get out in 73 days. :) I am an E6 EOOW/ELT (9 years). I am about to accept an offer that I don't want to discuss openly until its finalized but wanted to point out that I have had no problems finding jobs or getting interviews. All you have to do is some homework. You are starting to think about it now which is good. Just start narrowing down where you want to work and think hard about what you want to do. A lot of navy nukes, for some weird reason, think that SRO is the end all be all to nuclear power. That is so far from the truth. From the research I have been doing the last year there is so much more out there in the nuke world, and even outside the nuke world. Fortunately, the job I am accepting will give me a taste of everything that I like and am good at... that being operations and training. All the while being WELL compensated while living in my FIRST choice of places to live when I get out. I couldn't be happier or more excited. If you would like, email me and I can send you all the links to all the different nuke company job sites that I have been using over the last year. Its not a complete list mind you, because I did cut out some companies that didn't have plants where I wanted to live or I simply didn't like their record. But, it would be a good start for you.

Justin

PS... While I will be doubling my salary when I get out, you will be looking to be around the same as you make now, unless they hire you into something greater than SRO. I am not sure about that possibility, some of the old salts here will know more about that.

LaFeet

« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2007, 10:21 »
Great move Hemi... I like the bouncing around a bit more than staying in front of a panel.  To each their own,  but all of those that served should be rewarded just a tad bit.

Good luck in the future.

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2007, 10:30 »
Well, if I am getting interviews/offers for SRO and positions with similar salaries, than you certainly at least should be able to do that. I am where you are (NPTU Ballston Spa, MARF) but I get out in 73 days. :) I am an E6 EOOW/ELT (9 years). I am about to accept an offer that I don't want to discuss openly until its finalized but wanted to point out that I have had no problems finding jobs or getting interviews. All you have to do is some homework. You are starting to think about it now which is good. Just start narrowing down where you want to work and think hard about what you want to do. A lot of navy nukes, for some weird reason, think that SRO is the end all be all to nuclear power. That is so far from the truth. From the research I have been doing the last year there is so much more out there in the nuke world, and even outside the nuke world. Fortunately, the job I am accepting will give me a taste of everything that I like and am good at... that being operations and training. All the while being WELL compensated while living in my FIRST choice of places to live when I get out. I couldn't be happier or more excited. If you would like, email me and I can send you all the links to all the different nuke company job sites that I have been using over the last year. Its not a complete list mind you, because I did cut out some companies that didn't have plants where I wanted to live or I simply didn't like their record. But, it would be a good start for you.

Justin

PS... While I will be doubling my salary when I get out, you will be looking to be around the same as you make now, unless they hire you into something greater than SRO. I am not sure about that possibility, some of the old salts here will know more about that.

Research as opposed to real experience eh? If you get the area you want thats great, however in many jobs in this industry if you want to go higher than the position you were hired in at you better get an SRO license.

Mike

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #5 on: Apr 17, 2007, 09:55 »
(I currently make ~80k before taxes)

Correct me if I am wrong: that number is "Regular Military Compensation" (a chart which includes the advantage of allowances not being taxed).

In the commercial world we only discuss real $$. It makes comparisons easier.

As far as the dates you have mentioned, now is the perfect time to begin researching the areas / companies you are willing to work. Many companies have a long lead time on hiring; you should be interviewing 6-9 months before you get out. You also need to know if there is flexibility in your release from active duty before you interview. Some programs are very cut and dry on the start date, while a few have flexibility.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #6 on: Apr 17, 2007, 04:04 »

Research as opposed to real experience eh? If you get the area you want thats great, however in many jobs in this industry if you want to go higher than the position you were hired in at you better get an SRO license.

Mike

Yes. :)

Justin

csernmi

« Reply #7 on: Apr 17, 2007, 05:35 »
Everyone, thanks for your advice thus far. I was taken aback today when a nuke headhunter called me at home after posting my resume just yesterday. I guess they don't waste much time. In any case, to answer some questions from Roll Tide, the ~80k figure I quoted is the adjusted amount I would be making relative to everyone else, mainly in a place with living costs comparable to the midwest (which is where I prefer to end up). With my allowances, tax breaks, and the like, I currently make the civilian equivalent of 106k in upstate NY, which is a little pricier than most places (barring of course CA, FL, VA, and other coastal areas). No one ever said the Navy pays officers poorly (at least I don't think so). I truley love my job and the opportunity to lead people, but I love being around my wife and child more so. I also looked into the North Anna "new construction" mentioned below by tr. Information like that is really helpful. Please keep it comming, and if you know anyone that has questions about becomming a Navy Nuke Officer, I'd be happy to give my replacements some useful pointers to further their Navy careers in return for the good advice you guys have given me.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #8 on: Apr 18, 2007, 07:15 »
Glad to hear the $$ are decent in the Navy. And there are periodically guys on the board with prospective O-gang questions. Your help would be welcomed.

Midwest is a large area with many plants. Few plants out there are the sole nuclear plant in a utility (as was common 10 years ago). You need to research the big companies and decide which of those you would be happy as your employer.

For example: FP&L (Florida Power & Light) recently bought Duane Arnold (Iowa), but I don't think they have owned it long enough for a fair understanding of how things will be after the dust settles. Perhaps you could look at Seabrook, which they have owned a few more years, to get an understanding of the corporate climate there. Comparing to the original FP&L nukes (Turkey Point and St. Lucie) would probably not be accurate. You could repeat this process for Exelon and other multi-site operators.

A final word of advice: Headhunters typically don't waste time UNTIL you have agreed to sole representation! Treat a headhunter like a realtor: demand previous results (specifics and averages). If they can't provide that information, they are just blowing smoke. If they can provide it, they will be happy to provide references of their previous valuable services.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?