Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Things that rookie nukeworkers should know

Author Topic: Things that rookie nukeworkers should know  (Read 108229 times)

Offline indoprime

• HP on a stick
  • Moderate User
  • You got two choices..deal with it, or deal with it
Things that rookie nukeworkers should know
« on: Apr 17, 2007, 11:51 »
This post is for all the rookie nukeworkers just getting started...

I'm posting this b/c at the time i started out doing the roadtech thing, about 3 - 4yrs ago, I had no idea of what was going on, or what to do.  I just knew that I had a job to get to, a per diem check would be waiting and that I had to be there on Monday at 6am. 

The first few weeks of a job is pretty intimidating for a rookie roadtech, but here are a few things that I've learned to help you new guys (and gals!) get by.

1- Find the SUPER-WAL MART ASAP!

Can't stress that enough.  This is probably the most important thing that you can do once you get into town.  EVerything that you need for survival is here 24/7. Get essntials and CASH CHECKS!  Wal-Mart has a $1500 check cashing limit.

2- Find a branch of your bank. 

Ex. If you're with Bank of America, find a branch in that town.  If you're w/ Wells fargo, find a branch in that town....   The reason being is that once you get that first check, whether it be a P/D, a regular paycheck, or a travel check you can go to that bank and get it cashed without paying the $3 fee wal mart charges you, plus your direct deposit probably wont be set up yet. Now if your bank is closed, then see #1.

3- Get your car checked out before the road trip.

You dont want breakdowns on the road, so i suggest you change oil, get new tires if your budget allows for it, go to jiffy lube something, just get some car maintenance before you roll out.

4- Join Roomates.com

This site has saved me at least $2000 every outage season.  Why get gouged by hotels who jack up their prices for outage season, when you can rent a room out from someone, on a month to month basis?  Ex.  Staying at Motel "A" costs 300/wk...  staying w/ a roomate costs about 550/mo.  1 month = 4 weeks.  Motel "A" = 1200, roomate = 550. 

5- Wash / Drop off laundry

How's this for convience?  You have a load (or two) of clothes, you pay about 20-25 bucks (1.50/1.75 - per pound of clothes), this pays for the washing drying and detergent.  Drop off the clothes, they'll be done in about 3 hours time.  Washed, dried, and FOLDED!  Why blow your day off on washing clothes?

6- Navigation system

Once you get a few checks under your belt, it's time to invest in a navigation system for the car.  A GOOD one will run 500+, not the ones from wal-mart, go online, or go to Circuit city / Best Buy...   It's very difficult trying to find the training centers from the maps that the staffing companies provide.  Or if you want to explore the city.

7- Satellite Radio

There's really nothing better than sat radio on cross-country trips. 180+ channels of whatever you wanna listen to. Personally, i cant do country music from St. Louis to Denver and all thru Texas / Oklahoma.  Sirius or XM, doesn't really matter...just get it.

8- Laptop computer.

Leave the desktops at home.  Get a Laptop w/an internal wireless card. Most hotels are going wi-fi, and all the Flying J's have it too.  Makes life infinitely sweeter.

9- Only go drinking when you have the following day/ night off.
Self explanatory.

10- Be a GOLD member on NUKEWORKER!  Help support Mike, b/c he's deifinitely helping to support us!

Any other tips will be appreciated!
Excuses are tools of the incompetent which create monuments of nothingness, Those who specialize in their uses seldom achieve anything.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: Things that rookie nukeworkers should know
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2007, 02:59 »
This is a fantastic list.  Great job indo.  I'm gonna sticky this threrad.

Gonzo

« Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 2007, 04:04 »
the most important thing to remember is to never eat from a community popcorn bowl...

DDD

« Reply #3 on: Apr 17, 2007, 05:08 »
And leave the women where you found them

Cathy

« Reply #4 on: Apr 17, 2007, 05:13 »
Bring your own alarm clock, preferably one that has a battery backup in case the power goes out.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Apr 17, 2007, 05:23 »
Bring your own alarm clock, preferably one that has a battery backup in case the power goes out.
I bring my own pillows, even if I'm staying at a hotel.

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Apr 17, 2007, 07:28 »
I bring my own pillows, even if I'm staying at a hotel.

Im allergic to tide which is what all the hotels use it seems like so I go as far as bringing my own sheets and towels when packing space allows, otherwise I check with the hotel to see if theyll launder my sheets separate with my own soap or i just drop them off at the wash n fold letting the hotel know what Ive done ofcourse. 

Dont forget a backpack or duffel bag for all your at work goodies....I always carry my steelies/workboots in my bag to prevent a hold up in the mornings if theres no where to store them on site and wear my tennis shoes in.    So whens the nukeworker duffel bags coming out?

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #7 on: Apr 17, 2007, 08:42 »
iffen ya don't due cell phones, git won!  itsa weigh cheepar dan motel phone line costs 'n easier dan opening/closing accounts wit ma bell 'n associates.  iffen ya don't wanna due cells, take yer own answering machine.  use it with motel lines 'n git yer messages direct, w/o desk clerk interpretashun.  'sides, iffen sumbuddy misdials der buddies room, yule laff yer butt off at watt der saying when yer machine picks up.
use a cb radio while ona rode.  it'll save mucho bucks from donating to different state trooper associations.  plus it's a good source of entertainment at 3 am in da middle of iowa.  knot to mention a source of info on gas stations, restaurants, 'n wide spots ona side of da rode fer when ya absolutely gotta go "now" !
git a dc/ac converter to run laptop outa yer vehicle.
pak yer cents of humor.  it'll help maitain alla yer udder sensibilities.
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2007, 08:46 by SloGlo »
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline hoghunter

• Moderate User
  • I have often regretted my speech, never my silence
« Reply #8 on: Apr 18, 2007, 05:35 »
I agree with the pillow,banks and wal-mart thing. I also carry the big ben alarm clocks ( no power or batterys needed ) they will wake the dead. You will need the day and night time cold meds. for the RX-BLDG bug !!!! Find the good places to eat. Find the local hang out,but never let the women know where you stay.Allways watch who you make mad or get on the wrong side of, because they could be your next supvr. When not sure ask don't asume "all questions have an answer"
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2007, 11:38 by RELLISON62 »
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Apr 18, 2007, 07:14 »
I added a bank finder, and a wal*mart finder, and a roomate finder to the facility info pages, see example here:

http://www.nukeworker.com/maps/facility/BeaverValley1.html
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2007, 07:20 by Rennhack »

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #10 on: Apr 18, 2007, 07:32 »
Get a credit card!  If you ever need to rent a car, they WILL NOT take a debit card.  I'm pretty sure it's the same way for plane tickets.  If you can't qualify for a real credit card, you can get a 'secured credit card' by putting some money into a "savings" account for the bank to get their money from if you default on the payments.

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Apr 19, 2007, 12:44 »
Get a credit card!  If you ever need to rent a car, they WILL NOT take a debit card.  I'm pretty sure it's the same way for plane tickets.  If you can't qualify for a real credit card, you can get a 'secured credit card' by putting some money into a "savings" account for the bank to get their money from if you default on the payments.

some will accept debit cards with a credit check but be preparred to have the money for the rental plus some froze in your account.  national, thrifty, and alamo are ones i know will take one right off the top of my head....ofcourse call ahead to make sure since it can vary by location.  Also for those under 25 beware of the extra charges imposed per day of the tune of 25 bucks.  Usually if you beef up the insurance theyll wave them, at least thats the case at national. 

Austria

« Reply #12 on: Apr 19, 2007, 03:28 »
Hey, great list and a great idea to start this thread indoprime!

Another idea if you are reporting to a site you've never been to before is get there an extra day early if you can. If you start on Monday morning try to get to your hotel or wherever you're staying on Saturday, for example. This will give you plenty of time to unpack, find the Super Wal-Mart, Bank, etc. and give you time to relax and be really fresh on Monday. Also, take the time to drive the route from where you are staying to the plant or training center. This makes the drive to work on Monday much less stressful. It's really worth the extra day's rent to have all your shopping done and be settled in so you can start with a clear head and no worries about the little things.

again, great idea to start this thread. Karma to ya.  8)

LaFeet

« Reply #13 on: Apr 19, 2007, 05:04 »
Paperwork..... documentation.

Get a Passport ASAP. 
Keep copies of your quals (it does not always help, but it works out great when the prior plant fails to update PADS)

Keep a small filing cabinet (plastic box for files) for expenses and tax forms and such.

Find the local restaurants that appeal to your tastes.

Get to know the local liquor store owners....  Its always nice when I can get me beer delivered.

Find the quickest route to/from the plant.  And find an alternate too.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #14 on: Apr 19, 2007, 10:35 »
LaFeet mentioning paperwork reminded me of this, important footnote:

Document the exact dates (I get it off my resume) and address of every place you stay, and the contact information of someone that can verify it, a landlord will do.  Also record who you worked for and the name and contact information of your boss.

You will need this for a security clearance, and it's easier to do it as you go, rather than trying to remember it all 10 to 18 years later.

Also, keep multiple copies of it (and not all on one computer).  Put a copy on your computer, one on a CD, and print one out.  Keep the CD in a lock box, or at a relative’s house, in case you have a fire, or other disaster.

Offline stormgoalie

• Former RP Supervisor, now an Engineer......
  • Very Heavy User
  • Go fast or go home!
« Reply #15 on: Apr 19, 2007, 02:28 »
Just to add an international flavor to this thread if you are coming up to Canada as a contractor you will need to have your documentation in order. A passport will be required shortly I am sure. Be prepared to answer a lot of questions at the border when being issued your work visa. Also have a contact name and phone number for your employer in Canada. Your security clearance etc. will be handled by your employer in a similar fashion as the US plants.

Cheers,
Jim Rodgers
RP Supervisor
Ontario Power Generation
WWMF
WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, or blasphemy.

looneynuke

« Reply #16 on: Apr 19, 2007, 05:04 »
Just to add my two cents to this.......hopefully you'll make some good contacts along the way that will also lead to more jobs cause word of mouth is everything in this biz. If nothing else maybe you'll make some great friends in your travels.

LaFeet

« Reply #17 on: Apr 20, 2007, 04:40 »
Good one Looney.....  keep that address book or cell phone handy for contacts... I also like collecting business cards.

jowlman

« Reply #18 on: Apr 20, 2007, 02:19 »
Get yourself lots of Rubbermade type of containers. Keep all your work stuff packed in them. It makes packing for your jobs much easier, you don't have to worry about remembering what to pack. :) I also keep a list of my landlord's phone numbers, when going back to the same plant its a lot easier to call ahead to arrange your home on the road. :)

allforthenukie

« Reply #19 on: Apr 20, 2007, 04:46 »
One of my favorite things to have on the road was a 12 volt electric beer cooler. I think the brand name is "Igloo". It can be powered by the cigarette lighter in your vehicle when you're driving. Be sure to get the AC outlet adapter for the in motel room. The cooler is the same size as a conventional ice cooler and I was amazed at how great the thing worked. Keeps your beer and soda or whatever you like to drink frosty cold and has a tray for the top for your lunch meat or whatever. Basicly you have a portable electric refrigerator that only weighs what a cooler would weigh but you don't have to buy ice every other day and deal with the mess of draining and refilling the thing. Was nice to be able to enjoy a few cold ones after work. The AC adapter gets pretty hot when it's running so I always would set it on a ceramic plate instead of the carpet and make sure it's away from the curtains. I've seen rebuild kits for these coolers at truck stops so if the thing wears out you can fix it and get it going again. Really improved my quality of life on the road. One of the BEST things I ever bought! If you're going to spend half the year living in cheap motel rooms you gotta get one of these! 

LaFeet

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2007, 09:15 »
Get a Gramin nuvi 360 or other type of GPS receiver.  Great for directions, finding hotels, resturants & places to shop.  Best toy I have gotten in years.

Good choice, although I have yet to find a place with the GPS unit that I could not plot correctly with the lapyop in advance.......  yoys is toys  and you really can have too few... more beer here though

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2007, 03:31 »
I wouldn't consider a GPS a toy, it isn't absolutely nesc. but man does it help out!  You will probably save the money in gas that the GPS costs when this thing figures out a better way to get there or keeps you from getting lost.  And it automatically tells you all the FOOD/SHOPPING/STORES in a 50 mile radius. I didn't realize they did this until I got one.  It is so handy!  You need the nearest grocery store from the exact spot you are it will tell you within seconds...pretty cool.

Cathy

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2007, 10:33 »
Our GPS also finds the nearest hotel and gives you a phone number. We call to verify there is a room available before wasting time getting off the highway and walking in to check.
And, my DH is just thrilled, NOT, that just by typing in a name of a favorite shopping spot it reurns every one within many miles!!!

jowlman

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2007, 10:59 »
About getting a GPS, I haven't had a chance to test it yet but I just got software and a reciever at BestBuy. You download it to your laptop and plug the reciever into a USB port and your laptop is now a GPS. It was on sale for $50 which is alot cheaper than any GPS unit you'll find and most road tech already have the laptop. Another plus for those of us that aren't as young as we use to be, you have that big laptop display instead of the tiny ones on the GPS units.

Evilpixie

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2007, 02:00 »
You could get an DC to AC inverter and plug your laptop into your cigarette lighter with it... use the GPS that way.  Or you oculd map out your route beforehand and save it locally to the laptop and refer to it while driving.  They have inverters at stores like Napa or Kragen auto parts.  Or you can get one at a truckstop.  They usually have a pretty large selection of them at the big truckstops (Like Little America or Flying Js, Pilot, etc) that I fondly refer to as "Meccas of trashy trinkets"... they are so great to stop at when you're getting a little dazed from the road- some of the things they have are so stupid, they're hilarious!  Skull piggybanks, magnet mail box covers that make it look like it's a bird house, or metal yard ornaments of a dog silhouette poo-ing that has the option of engraving your family's name on it... course sometimes they have things that are invaluable like a remote controlled fart machine- and it was an RF remote so you could put it somewhere and then hide and let it rip.  So to speak. 

Books on tape are always great for traveling long distances... and those big truckstops sometimes have a club called Audio Adventures where you can check them out, listen to 'em and return them somewhere else that has Audio Adventures or you can mail them back to them with a prepaid envelope they'll give you (if asked). 

LaFeet

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2007, 06:31 »
Gosh  you guys make me feel soooo unprepared.  And I thought I was doing good with the spices, knnives and skillets ;D

vikingfan

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2007, 09:10 »
my personal favorite is the external hard drive to store all your movies, tv shows, and music on. especially nice to watch something when your not on shift or during your break times ! you can pick up a decent one for about 100$ or so and have between 160 and 500 gb for storing the above mentioned items or just swapping movies with your co-workers.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2007, 01:50 »

First, thanks to indoprime for the great tips!

Second, my Tip-of-the-Day:

SAVE SOME MONEY!!!

I know the initial reaction to per diem checks, and checks with lots of over-time, is, "WOO-HOO!  We're rich!!!  Let's buy everything we see!!!"  That's fun (at least for a while), but keep in mind these three things:

1.  The end-of-outage lay-offs are coming!  Time off is a lot more fun if you have more to live on than just unemployment.

2.  Summer can be extended...if you save enough to afford more time off.

3.  If you save enough, then you never 'have' to go back to work...and this job (and any other I can think of) is a lot more fun if you are working because you want to, not because you have to.

« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2008, 10:26 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

LaFeet

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2007, 05:40 »
Unca Buff hit the nail with a BIG Hammer

Yeah, the unemployment checks make the non paydays pass by easier, but banking cash and NOT touching it until you HAVE TO is the best way.  I even like buying a few savings bonds  or sliding some moolah into my retirement accounts just to help plan for the future..... dont wanna be a roadie all my life  ::)

remowil55

« Reply #29 on: Sep 18, 2007, 09:54 »
Good point there, you might add when you get inside the plant ask the local guys you work with, which part of town to stay the heck out of. No sense getting mugged, or beatin up. And i just renewed, good for another year, and can take it off my taxes. Remo

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #30 on: Sep 18, 2007, 10:37 »
Get a RELIABLE set of wheels!  If there's ANY doubt as to whether or not your vehicle will be able to make a trip across the country and back (without catching fire.  Right , Unc? :^D), park the POS and get something decent.  Speaking from experience, it totally sucks when you're 1100 miles from home, you blow an engine and you're at the mercy of Cletus, Clem, Bubba or whatever the local mechanic's name happens to be.  That brings us back to subject of my first post about having a credit card so you can rent a car.  And don't be afraid to invest in a good set of tires.  Tires are like toilet paper, buy the cheap stuff and you'll be in, well....

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #31 on: Sep 18, 2007, 01:31 »
Get a RELIABLE set of wheels!  If there's ANY doubt as to whether or not your vehicle will be able to make a trip across the country and back (without catching fire.  Right , Unc? :^D), park the POS and get something decent.  Speaking from experience, it totally sucks when you're 1100 miles from home, you blow an engine and you're at the mercy of Cletus, Clem, Bubba or whatever the local mechanic's name happens to be. 

Yeah, what he said...  :(
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #32 on: Sep 18, 2007, 03:41 »
Yeah, I almost found that one out the hard way (car thing).  Got a good one now though!  He who travels long distance must have reliable set of wheels.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #33 on: Sep 18, 2007, 05:33 »
no the bimmer is kaput!  but it went kaput AFTER I got back from the job, so lucky me.  actually it didn't go quite kaput, I just thought it did, couldn't fix it, sold it for ccheap, and the expert I sold it too fixed it easily.  sometimes the speed and reference sensors go out AT THE SAME TIME.......who'd of thunk it?

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #34 on: Sep 19, 2007, 09:39 »
Back to the topic - BMW's are nice but this isn't Car Talk.

Rookies should learn one thing above all others.

If you want to be exactly like the "old-timers" do what they do.
If you model your behavior on the 55 year old HP who has been a tech for 35 years and still doesn't have any money in the bank - guess what - you will still be a broke HP when you are 55.

If you follow the tech who has gone to college to finish a degree, broadened his capabilities, and gotten raises and promotions, you will likely get those too.

If you want better than the "lowest common denominator", rise above the crowd.  When you reply to a job posting, send a resume and a brief polite note in the email that says who you are and asks that you be considered for the job.  Your resume will be read and considered.  If you just reply with an email that says, "what's the state, date and rate?" it's going to get deleted.

Being a rookie should only last a year or so.  Don't make it a career.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #35 on: Sep 19, 2007, 10:43 »
1. A 401K or some type of retirement tool.
2. A Blackberry. You get all your email, phone, and internet in the palm of your hand.
3. A laptop. You never know when you may have to update your resume on the fly. Also, they are giving away wireless just about everywhere you go now.
4. A GPS. Youwill not regret your decision to get one of these.
5. A good set of Tupperware. Comes in real handy.

roadhard

« Reply #36 on: Sep 19, 2007, 11:46 »
For the rookie rad techs - - - -

Know how to read a meter. (Did ya read that thread?)

Know how to pass the NEU.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #37 on: Nov 05, 2007, 05:25 »
Always tab your tape.

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #38 on: Nov 05, 2007, 06:14 »
Alright Ive got to add my 7 years of house experiance to this mix of subbies.  I always made sure that I got the names of the guys who came in that knew what they were doin, and did a it well.  They got the job done.  I always said that some day I may need to give a reference or may meet up with someone out in the Nuke world, and it would be nice to know Ive got friends out there.  It is very important not to be "BLACK" listed as in the case of to subs that came to our site and that is where they effectivly ended thier rad career.

Great post folks.  This site is by far the best out there for info in our industry.

allforthenukie

« Reply #39 on: Nov 06, 2007, 07:25 »
What is a "sub"? Subbies? Not familiar with that term.

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #40 on: Nov 06, 2007, 08:23 »
While you are in transit to a job site, especially cross country, call your company daily. You may not have a job to go to. I left Rancho Seco to go to Palisades in 88 for NSS. At a stop in Wyoming, I called NSS just to check in. They said not to bother showing up if you could not be there the next  morning. The house people reduced the number a techs they needed. NSS gave me $200 for my troubles and travel. Luckily Bartlett had a slot for me at Diablo. So I turned around and headed for Diablo. So I had a 5 day scenic trip from the Ranch to Diablo.

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #41 on: Nov 06, 2007, 07:10 »
What is a "sub"? Subbies? Not familiar with that term

A sub or subby is a subcontractor that comes to the site.  We used ACTS and BARTLETT at SRS when I was out there as Radcon.  Rent-a-Techs are also a know as subs.  I loved these guys.  They didnt take crap from anyone and laughed at our procedures and what we thought was dose and contamination issues.  Thats why I have kept a list of some of the good ones just in case.

Joe Ferguson

« Reply #42 on: Nov 07, 2007, 02:56 »
The best advise is really pretty simple.  In fact, it is in this thread several times. 
1.)  Listen, don't talk.
2.)  Find the tech's that are efficient and respected.  Learn 'how' and 'why' they do what they do.
3.)  Don't be afraid to work.  Lazy tech's acquire a rep in about 3 shifts.  Pull your weight, then help others (those that want it).
4.)  Understand the business side of Health Physics.  They do not build and operate 1100 MWe nuclear power plants so that a bunch of old HP's can have a job.  We are a SUPPORT organization, but not laborers.
5.)  Invest in a 401k religiously and don't touch it for 25 years.

good luck,
rotag

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #43 on: Nov 07, 2007, 09:07 »
The best advise is really pretty simple.  In fact, it is in this thread several times. 
1.)  Listen, don't talk.
2.)  Find the tech's that are efficient and respected.  Learn 'how' and 'why' they do what they do.
3.)  Don't be afraid to work.  Lazy tech's acquire a rep in about 3 shifts.  Pull your weight, then help others (those that want it).
4.)  Understand the business side of Health Physics.  They do not build and operate 1100 MWe nuclear power plants so that a bunch of old HP's can have a job.  We are a SUPPORT organization, but not laborers.
5.)  Invest in a 401k religiously and don't touch it for 25 years.

Good Advice, karma to ya.

hankrearden

« Reply #44 on: Nov 09, 2007, 05:49 »
    dont get in. given 4 week outages it will take years reach the point where you will be making any real money. if you have any brains you can do much better for yourself than starting from square 1 in the post tmi mods nuke world.

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
« Reply #45 on: Nov 09, 2007, 06:56 »
4 weeks?!!!!!!! We have an 18 day one coming up at Calvert in March. They already have the layoff list made out,

RNN

« Reply #46 on: Nov 10, 2007, 07:33 »
Good Advice, karma to ya.

I'm with Rennhack karma to you for a good post  ;D

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #47 on: Nov 11, 2007, 05:04 »

The World Nuclear University Primer
 Nuclear Energy in the 21st Century

“Ian Hore-Lacy guides the reader expertly through the many complexities of nuclear energy. This is an invaluable resource for anyone wishing to distinguish fact from myth and to gain understanding in this crucial field.”
— Hans Blix, Chancellor, World Nuclear University, and Director General-Emeritus, International Atomic Energy Agency

« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2007, 05:06 by wlrun3 »

vikingfan

« Reply #48 on: Nov 11, 2007, 05:54 »
get your frequent flyer miles card

if you didn't tab the tape after you used it, be prepared to buy your crew some beer !!!

a reliable cell phone and laptop, you can write off some of this expense on your taxes  :)

get a credit card if you don't have one, you can track your expenses that way.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #49 on: Nov 11, 2007, 06:01 »
get a credit card if you don't have one, you can track your expenses that way.

Just make sure to pay off the ballance before the 30 days when they charge you interest.  We're here to make money, not give it to the CC company.

It is a good way to track expenses, and give yourself a cussion before you get that first or second outage check.

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #50 on: Nov 11, 2007, 07:06 »

There are 104 nuclear reactors located at 65 sites in the United States. They produce 20% of the country's electricity. They are shutdown and refueled every two years.
    Refuelings take one month and require one thousand temporary additional workers.
    Of that one thousand temporary additional workers per reactor, roughly 40 are radiation protection technicians.

« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2007, 11:18 by wlrun3 »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #51 on: Nov 11, 2007, 10:30 »
Books on tape are always great for traveling long distances...

...and, for some reason I don't understand, eating sunflower seeds helps me stay awake, too.

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #52 on: Nov 12, 2007, 03:18 »
Watch your back, cover your @$$, and don't let your guard down.  He or she who's your good buddy yesterday, won't hesitate throw you under the bus tomorrow. (took me a few times to learn that one)

Use protection:  Don't get some girl knocked-up at every plant you go to.  Some of these guys think they're Johnny Appleseed or something and have child support payments from hell.

Get a good accountant.

Hook up with the guys like UncaBuffalo and learn how to do things the right way.

Don't be an @$$kisser.   The only people who like @$$kissers are people who are @$$kissers themselves.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #53 on: Nov 12, 2007, 03:49 »
Don't be an @$$kisser.   The only people who like @$$kissers are people who are @$$kissers themselves.

Don't be a rude jerk, and justify it by claiming not to be an ass kisser.  People like to be around pleasant people that have a positive outlook on life, and are easy to get along with.

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #54 on: Nov 12, 2007, 11:02 »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #55 on: Nov 12, 2007, 12:43 »
...As far as calling me a "rude jerk", who's being rude here?

'Methinks thou doth protest too much.'

I don't know if you and Mike have a history that may make you think he is calling you names or not, but all I saw was someone showing the opposite side of the coin to the statement you made. It is important not to be a kiss-up, but it is also important not to be the opposite -- someone that is a rude jerk and does not give any consideration at all. I did not see that as being aimed at you at all. Like I said, I don't know your history (or even who you are) so I may be wrong.
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2007, 02:45 by RDTroja »
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Rad Sponge

« Reply #56 on: Nov 12, 2007, 12:47 »
I guess my two cents for what every newbie should know:

1. Minimize time in the break room.
2. Be early for your jump if you have to relieve someone
3. Smile
4. Go the little extra to help your peers
5. Don't cut corners
6. Fill out good maps
7. Take constructive criticism
8. Try and be better the next day
9. Try not to have sex with deconners.
10. Repeat number 9.

vikingfan

« Reply #57 on: Nov 12, 2007, 01:38 »
i wonders if jason did number 9 ??? well maybe at least not with the boiler makers !!

tera_rogue

« Reply #58 on: Nov 12, 2007, 03:42 »
Understand Why You are Employed
   You are getting paid to perform a duty … Do It.
Go to Work Fit for Duty
   It is hard enough to carry your own weight … do not burden others and figure they will carry it for you.
Do not Show Up for Work without a Pen and a Watch
   Sounds stupid to say but you will be surprised how many people rely on others to know what time it is and for a pen to commit it to paper. Documentation is a very large part of your job … every thing revolves on time … you will need a pen to document when
Be on Time and Be Where You are Expected to Be
   If you have a watch this is not difficult to do … no one wants to wait for you or look for you.
Onsite Your Badge and Dosimentry are You 
   Never … Ever
be separated.
Know Plant Procedures
   This cannot be stressed enough … Three easy words.
   I repeat … Know Plant Procedures … If you do not know something … the answers should always be in the procedures. You cannot depend on others for what you should have learned in training or on your own. Do not pin your job on the knowledge of others. If you do you will be setting yourself up for failure. I am embarrassed to say some people will give any answer to a question rather than not give an answer and admit their ignorance. Do not misunderstand … our industry is loaded with exceptional knowledgeable personnel willing to assist you but it takes time to know who they are … unfortunately time is limited. The answers are ultimately your responsibility to know … do not think twice about looking them up in the procedures.
   Also remember plant procedures are not universal … every plant is unique with procedures to reflect that fact. Different plants … different procedures … unless you are an expert do not question them (they usually have been questioned enough) learn them and know where to find them.

It is Your Job to Know Your Job
You are not born with Nuclear Knowledge … Learn
Pay Attention
Think First … Speak Second
Think First … Act Second
Take Responsibility for Yourself and Your Actions
Self Check Should be Second Nature
Peer Checking is Essential … Not Offensive

You will overlook something sometime.
   Do not be insulted … be thankful.
You are Human … You Will Make Mistakes
   Learn from them and do not repeat them.
You Always Make A Difference
   Only you can determine if the difference is positive or negative.
Never Stop Improving Yourself
   You are the only one capable of elevating your value.
Respect Earns Respect

Now … Get to Work

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #59 on: Nov 12, 2007, 04:14 »
Understand Why You are Employed
   You are getting paid to perform a duty … Do It.
Go to Work Fit for Duty
   It is hard enough to carry your own weight … do not burden others and figure they will carry it for you.
Do not Show Up for Work without a Pen and a Watch
   Sounds stupid to say but you will be surprised how many people rely on others to know what time it is and for a pen to commit it to paper. Documentation is a very large part of your job … every thing revolves on time … you will need a pen to document when
Be on Time and Be Where You are Expected to Be
   If you have a watch this is not difficult to do … no one wants to wait for you or look for you.
Onsite Your Badge and Dosimentry are You 
   Never … Ever
be separated.
Know Plant Procedures
   This cannot be stressed enough … Three easy words.
   I repeat … Know Plant Procedures … If you do not know something … the answers should always be in the procedures. You cannot depend on others for what you should have learned in training or on your own. Do not pin your job on the knowledge of others. If you do you will be setting yourself up for failure. I am embarrassed to say some people will give any answer to a question rather than not give an answer and admit their ignorance. Do not misunderstand … our industry is loaded with exceptional knowledgeable personnel willing to assist you but it takes time to know who they are … unfortunately time is limited. The answers are ultimately your responsibility to know … do not think twice about looking them up in the procedures.
   Also remember plant procedures are not universal … every plant is unique with procedures to reflect that fact. Different plants … different procedures … unless you are an expert do not question them (they usually have been questioned enough) learn them and know where to find them.

It is Your Job to Know Your Job
You are not born with Nuclear Knowledge … Learn
Pay Attention
Think First … Act Second
Self Check Should be Second Nature
Peer Checking is Essential … Not Offensive

You will overlook something sometime.
   Do not be insulted … be thankful.
Respect Earns Respect

Now … Get to Work

Best entry on this thread... I'm impressed.

tera_rogue

« Reply #60 on: Nov 12, 2007, 08:11 »

Thanks wlrun3 ... It is nice to know I can still impress.

Joe Ferguson

« Reply #61 on: Nov 13, 2007, 04:07 »
tera_rogue,
I concur - that is great advice.  I replied to this thread earlier, but you have underscored many important points, especially about the procedures, relieving your peers on time, and being accountable for your actions.

Thanks for the write - I hope our new comers read and follow.  Where were you at when I was in containment and waiting 20 minutes on my relief?

rotag

vikingfan

« Reply #62 on: Nov 13, 2007, 07:41 »
    Tera,

awesome posting. especially the notations about self check and peer checking !! we get these drilled into us at every outage but alot of folks don't follow them. alot of situation come to mind such as verifying core locations for CRB removal, valve manipulations, electrical ops, where peer check and self check are essential. if you didn't read the procedure the first time do yourself and and your co- workers a favor and read it before doing a job.

illegalsmile

« Reply #63 on: Nov 14, 2007, 03:09 »
...and if you work on the Vessel Service Platform, learn to tie a proper knot, right, JJ?

vikingfan

« Reply #64 on: Nov 14, 2007, 04:07 »
thats right wayne, gotta at least know how to tie a bowline, and do not do like others " can't tie a knot tie alot " !!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #65 on: Nov 16, 2007, 05:56 »
9. Try not to have sex with deconners.
10. Repeat number 9.

HEY!?!?!?  Deconners need love, too!  :)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #66 on: Nov 16, 2007, 06:05 »

And that is the biggest reason to work outages, instead of DOE.

Let's say your success/failure ratio is 50/1.  In an outage, you can make a couple of mistakes each night and still be a "Good Tech" because you have 100 successes to offset them. 

In DOE, when you screw up, you will be working at such a slow pace that it could be weeks before you have enough successes to be back to feeling good about the job.  (Of course, you could just do nothing...and not fail at all!  This is actually the option-of-choice for many DOE workers...  :/    )

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #67 on: Nov 16, 2007, 06:36 »
 :D  As a former DOE worker I can say with all honesty that you are right on the money.  One of thier many sayings "All it takes is One Ah S...., and that can screw up your entire review."  How backwards can a place be!!!!!  I will be going into commercial ops at the first of the year and cant wait to be in the real nuclear field.  8)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #68 on: Nov 16, 2007, 07:16 »
People like to be around...people that have a positive outlook on life, and are easy to get along with.

Actually, that description fits The Punk to a 'T'...and people do really like working for/with him!

Karma on BOTH of you!  :)

jasmin

« Reply #69 on: Feb 20, 2008, 01:02 »
And leave the women where you found them
LOL - in my case that'd mean being left driving our rx!  ;)
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2008, 01:03 by jasmin »

workinman

« Reply #70 on: Feb 21, 2008, 10:42 »
No matter how many amateur "Tax Professionals" you run into on the road, get yourself a professional!  Don't be fooled by those who say they can outsmart the government, that will never happen!  Big Brother is always watching!

Don't pad your resume with endless pages of detail, recruiters know the specifics of your job.

And no matter how you twist it, tweak it, articulate it to death!--- Pushing a laundry buggy is not job coverage time!

Finally, don't give up!  This industry is in desperate need of replacements.  When the rest of us have been planted and are pushing up daises, someone will have to carry on!

Offline rocknrollrick

• Moderate User
  • PAYING THE COST TO BE THE BOSS!!!!!
« Reply #71 on: Feb 22, 2008, 12:13 »
 ;That's right on the money!!!! Well said!!! Oh, one more thing, when sitting in the breakroom there's more to life than this job and war stories. Disengage the mouth and open the mind, you might learn something new!!!! :P
Early to bed, 13 hours on nights, makes you tired, wealthy and a night crawler!!!!

workinman

« Reply #72 on: Feb 22, 2008, 12:17 »
Also Well Said!  Great advice Rick!

Offline idrum4food

• Moderate User
  • If ya need air, rope, or wings to get ta where yur goin, ya don't need ta go.
« Reply #73 on: Feb 22, 2008, 10:06 »
Keep yer mouth shet, do whit yer towld, park wher yer spose tew.

B.PRESGROVE

« Reply #74 on: Feb 23, 2008, 05:13 »
Man this entire thread is great advise for the noobies and the experianced.  You can never learn to much, because you forget about as much as you learn.  ;)

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #75 on: Feb 23, 2008, 09:02 »
iffen yinz ain't got a pen, ya batter hav a mop.

Offline HousePuke

• ALARA Coordinator / Rad Engineer
  • Heavy User
  • If you don't like it here, go somewhere else!
« Reply #76 on: Feb 26, 2008, 02:47 »
Disregard about 95% of the stories you hear in the breakroom.  No one saves the plant, outage or other "heroic" deeds as portrayed in breakroom stories.

I have to agree that a great deal of good suggestions have been put forth in this thread.

Be on time, ready to work, do your job, be honest and most important...be safe.
Irish diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell such that he looks forward to making the trip.

Inspite of inflation, a penny is still a fair price for most peoples thoughts.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #77 on: Feb 27, 2008, 01:29 »
1) Grab samples are NOT performed with a large rad bag running down the hall.
2) You do not have to provide a bio-essay smaple by pooping into a 1 liter poly bottle when you get on site to support a normal refuel outage.
3) You do not have to speak into the hp 210 probe to tell it "frisking hands" or "frisking feet".
4) You are not required to duck every time you hear a "bing" on the refuel floor to avoid the in-coming neutrons.
5) If an operator says that they don't expect to see any water...you'll probably see several gallons of water jetting out in a fan formation wetting everything within' a 15 foot radius.
6) Deconners are the MOST fun to have sex with, I don't care what the previous post says.
7) The annulus really is an area of the plant and not a 70's dirty movie.
8.) Build a relationship with the recruiters, if there is a problem, deal with it in a diplomatic way.
9) Try not to pee in containment, but if peeing in containment keeps you from peeing in the pcm's...then by all means, pee in containment.
10) If you are a coffee drinker and smoker, please chew gum before you come back into containment from your break.

;)
« Last Edit: Feb 27, 2008, 08:22 by Brett LaVigne »
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #78 on: Feb 27, 2008, 03:38 »
1) Grab samples are NOT performed with a large rad bag running down the hall.
2) You do not have to provide a bio-essay smaple by pooping into a 1 liter poly bottle when you get on site to support a normal refuel outage.
3) You do not have to speak into the hp 210 probe to tell it "frisking hands" or "frisking feet".
4) You are not required to duck every time you hear a "bing" on the refuel floor to avoid the in-coming neutrons.
5) If an operator says that they don't expect to see any water...you'll probably see several gallons of water jetting out in a fan formation wetting everything within' a 15 foot radius.
6) Deconners are the MOST fun to have sex with, I don't care what the previous post says.
7) The annulus really is an area of the plant and not a 70's dirty movie.
8) Build a relationship with the recruiters, if there is a problem, deal with it in a diplomatic way.
9) Try not to pee in containment, but if peeing in containment keeps you from peeing in the pcm's...then by all means, pee in containment.
10) If you are a coffee drinker and smoker, please chew gum before you come back into containment from your break.

;)

Boy, I would probably pay to hear the stories behind those.

Justin

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Chemistry Technician CCNPP
  • Moderate User
« Reply #79 on: Feb 27, 2008, 08:15 »
Rumor has it a guy waited too long yesterday to go through the PCM and SAM his articles out.  By too late, I mean he left puddles of poo in his wake.  He had more patience than I could have mustered up.

vikingfan

« Reply #80 on: Feb 28, 2008, 03:09 »
i bet he wishes he could run away and bury his head in the sand somewhere ! at least he'll be famous huh??

justatech

« Reply #81 on: Feb 28, 2008, 09:06 »
i bet he wishes he could run away and bury his head in the sand somewhere ! at least he'll be famous huh??

Not sure about that.
Worked a site where an older contractor worker came out - he really had to go..............literally.
As he was finished counting the tech informed him he had not frisked his underarms and sides of body first (at that time the site did not trust the PCM-1's to count these areas correctly - prior to the purchase of PCM-2's) he jumped out hurried up and frisked, jumped back in as he was finished counting the tech informed him he had not SAM'd his hat out - he jumped out again - all the while words where being exchanged. By the time he finished the third count he was contaminating the portal monitor with his bodies waste products. The man was sick with the flu and the bathroom was less than 100 yards away. The worker called a meeting with RP Management - the tech finished that outage and has never been back since. Nor have we seen the worker-bee. He actually was a very nice hard working happy go lucky sort - unlike the tech.

Courtesy and respect for another can go a long way in any field.
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2008, 09:11 by justatech »

tennbuck

« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2008, 08:50 »
the gps is a must. i bought a garmin nuvii 200 for $168 at walmart. i had it mounted and working in 5 minutes in the walmart parking lot. push a button to find the the next gas, food or hotel. a great road tool.

sunflower seeds keep me awake also.

RADBASTARD

« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2008, 05:42 »
There are only 3 rules you need to know

#1 Who to suck up too !

#2 Which techs you have to watch out for who will stab you in the back,to make themselves look good by making someone else look bad.
Because they can't do it on their own merit!

RULE #3 see rule #1 and #2

Thats the only rule's a rookie should know.The rest will come later.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 05:43 by RadBastard »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2008, 04:07 »
the gps is a must. i bought a garmin nuvii 200 for $168 at walmart. i had it mounted and working in 5 minutes in the walmart parking lot. push a button to find the the next gas, food or hotel. a great road tool.

sunflower seeds keep me awake also.

I've made a POI (point of interest) file for the garmin nuvi that hass the location of all the nuke plants.  I have attached it to this message.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 04:09 by Rennhack »

delkinto

« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2008, 10:28 »
Times for the rookies to be worried:

If the RP says it's "probably not contaminated"

If you asked the RP whether it was contaminated after you stepped in it

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #86 on: Aug 01, 2008, 01:30 »
Be aware of your surroundings. Just because the town looks like a quaint little village and the people are all so nice doesn't mean trouble isn't lurking around the corner; use common sense when out in unknown areas, even the grocery stores, etc.

I was out shopping last year and someone stole my billfold out of my purse, I was in an unfamilar town, Henry was at work and I had no way to contact him, no money, etc.

Make sure you have a back-up credit card/cash and an emergency number for loved ones.

Whalla2U

« Reply #87 on: Aug 01, 2008, 10:13 »
With the fall season soon upon us, I feel that there's some great information posted here.

After reading all the post, something that I can think of that every nukeworker on the road should get is a hands free device for their cell phone.  When I start out on my trips, I attach my hands free device to my ear before leaving the driveway. 

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #88 on: Aug 01, 2008, 10:28 »
when i was a deconner i learned where i was going to be for the rest of the week whenever an HP came up to me with a "5 minute job".
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #89 on: Sep 18, 2008, 07:41 »
Don't step on the floor drains.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #90 on: Sep 18, 2008, 08:27 »

Those poor drains need deconned SOMEhow.... ;)

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #91 on: Sep 19, 2008, 03:05 »

know, noe, no!!!  step onna floor drains, walk all over da playce, frisk yer booties at da sop (caws ya wanna sho da hp dat yer con sea enshus, 'n git moor work!  duh.... ;)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #92 on: Feb 09, 2009, 07:35 »
Pay Attention
Think First … Act Second
Respect Earns Respect

A lot of people probably look at this and say, "Yeah, great...but that doesn't sound like me..."   

But, here's the cool thing...when you go to a new outage, no one has any expectations of 'you'...so you can be any 'you' that you want to be.

Try to lose one vice, or improve one habit, every new place you work...it's the only time in your life that you won't have to live down to any negatives that are enforced by your 'normal' world. 
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2009, 08:08 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline namlive

• Moderate User
« Reply #93 on: Mar 30, 2009, 08:30 »
Never eat yellow cake or yellow snow. :)
No one gets out alive.

DrewBuckeye85

« Reply #94 on: Apr 21, 2009, 10:24 »
Music...music...music...have an iPod or Zune (if you're into crappy quality, not that I'm a Mac guy, but the sound quality and compatibility mean everything). Get a 30Gb if possible and load that sucker up, then purchase an FM Transmitter, preferably one that connects from your 12V/Cigarette Lighter to the bottom port. The battery powered adapters are garbage and have terrible reception with any station.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2009, 05:10 »
www.hotpads.com

Most of the rentals listed are long-term, but they also have some vacation rentals in certain areas...worth a look if you need a place to live during an outage...

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #96 on: Jul 24, 2009, 02:14 »
www.hotpads.com

Most of the rentals listed are long-term, but they also have some vacation rentals in certain areas...worth a look if you need a place to live during an outage...

Saw that they have added a 'Hotel' tab on HotPads.  Lets you see hotel locations on a map, so you can pick one with easy access...and then gives you a rate quote for the dates you input...

WIFEY26525

« Reply #97 on: Aug 04, 2009, 04:28 »
I would venture the advice to rookies of simply:
1) asking questions of the experienced people
2) try to watch or work as many job types as possible in the first few outages (s/g, radwaste, refuel, etc.). That way you gain a feel for which jobs you enjoy.
3) save as much money as ya can as fast as ya can. you'll never know when the jobs disappear or you get hurt.
4) work with the people you are covering on the jobs, be flexable, be creative. If they are comfy / happy, they will make your job easier also.
5) find a job or jobs that you are good at and enjoy and don't be afraid to ask for that job. I used to tell supervisors "if you give me refuel, reactor bldg or s/g....I'll be adequate, but if you give me nightshift radwaste or turbine bldg, I'll come early and do a hell of a job ! and if you put me on dayshift.......I'll die!" that usually worked to get me where i wanted to be.

6) VERY IMPORTANT ! If you see a senior HP/RCT/RPT covering his job and you disagree with how he is doing the job.........unless he is being a radcon nightmare that will result in death or massive NRC fines.........DO NOT SNITCH HIM TO THE SUPERVISION !!!!!!!! ASK THE TECH QUESTIONS IF YOU HAVE A CONCERN, BUT LET HIM RUN HIS JOB HIS WAY !

7) My opinion of what my job was defined as :
I was there to keep the plant, the workers and the public safe from radiation and nuclear unpleasantness while striving to interfere the least amount with the successful completion of the work being done.

Content1

« Reply #98 on: Aug 04, 2009, 11:27 »
If you see a Senior Rad Tech carrying a ion chamber meter and running to an exit, stopping to glance at it, and then runs faster, it may be wise to follow.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #99 on: Nov 02, 2009, 09:31 »
About not having cash at the beginning of the outage:

I deal with the problem this way:  I opened an account at a bank that I seemed to see at almost every plant I went to (such as Bank of America or US Bank) (don't forget the debit card for paying for gas and lodging).  That account only handles my perdiem so that I can keep it separate from my paychecks (they go to my regular bank).  Spend what you need for the job you're on and leave the rest for the beginning of your next job.  Over time, that account's balance will grow into a tidy sum (if you're reasonably prudent) that can be used to clear out debts or get some new toys.  I never let the balance in my "travel account" get below $2,000 between outages so that I always have enough cash to get started without having to ask for a perdiem advance.  And, should you run into a contract that only pays every two weeks, you will be sitting pretty while everyone around you is whining and complaining and begging for an advance.
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

pquast2

« Reply #100 on: Sep 16, 2015, 12:52 »

I'm posting this b/c at the time i started out doing the roadtech thing, about 3 - 4yrs ago, I had no idea of what was going on, or what to do.  I just knew that I had a job to get to, a per diem check would be waiting and that I had to be there on Monday at 6am. 

The first few weeks of a job is pretty intimidating for a rookie roadtech, but here are a few things that I've learned to help you new guys (and gals!) get by.

1- Find the SUPER-WAL MART ASAP!

Can't stress that enough.  This is probably the most important thing that you can do once you get into town.  EVerything that you need for survival is here 24/7. Get essntials and CASH CHECKS!  Wal-Mart has a $1500 check cashing limit.

2- Find a branch of your bank. 

Ex. If you're with Bank of America, find a branch in that town.  If you're w/ Wells fargo, find a branch in that town....   The reason being is that once you get that first check, whether it be a P/D, a regular paycheck, or a travel check you can go to that bank and get it cashed without paying the $3 fee wal mart charges you, plus your direct deposit probably wont be set up yet. Now if your bank is closed, then see #1.

3- Get your car checked out before the road trip.

You dont want breakdowns on the road, so i suggest you change oil, get new tires if your budget allows for it, go to jiffy lube something, just get some car maintenance before you roll out.

4- Join Roomates.com

This site has saved me at least $2000 every outage season.  Why get gouged by hotels who jack up their prices for outage season, when you can rent a room out from someone, on a month to month basis?  Ex.  Staying at Motel "A" costs 300/wk...  staying w/ a roomate costs about 550/mo.  1 month = 4 weeks.  Motel "A" = 1200, roomate = 550. 

5- Wash / Drop off laundry

How's this for convience?  You have a load (or two) of clothes, you pay about 20-25 bucks (1.50/1.75 - per pound of clothes), this pays for the washing drying and detergent.  Drop off the clothes, they'll be done in about 3 hours time.  Washed, dried, and FOLDED!  Why blow your day off on washing clothes?

6- Navigation system

Once you get a few checks under your belt, it's time to invest in a navigation system for the car.  A GOOD one will run 500+, not the ones from wal-mart, go online, or go to Circuit city / Best Buy...   It's very difficult trying to find the training centers from the maps that the staffing companies provide.  Or if you want to explore the city.

7- Satellite Radio

There's really nothing better than sat radio on cross-country trips. 180+ channels of whatever you wanna listen to. Personally, i cant do country music from St. Louis to Denver and all thru Texas / Oklahoma.  Sirius or XM, doesn't really matter...just get it.

8- Laptop computer.

Leave the desktops at home.  Get a Laptop w/an internal wireless card. Most hotels are going wi-fi, and all the Flying J's have it too.  Makes life infinitely sweeter.

9- Only go drinking when you have the following day/ night off.
Self explanatory.

10- Be a GOLD member on NUKEWORKER!  Help support Mike, b/c he's deifinitely helping to support us!

pquast2

« Reply #101 on: Sep 16, 2015, 12:57 »
My daughter wants a new high dollar high power laptop to take to nuke school.  Are laptops even allowed or needed in class or for school? 

JsonD13

« Reply #102 on: Sep 16, 2015, 04:49 »
This is probably in the wrong spot and should be in the Navy Nuke forum (since that is what it seems you are asking about). 

In my experience, a laptop was not needed in school.  Electronic devices such as that were not even allowed in the school building when I was there since all the classwork and schoolbooks were classified at various levels.

She should have a few grand in her checkbook after getting out of boot camp.  So things like this she can splurge for herself.  The first thing I bought when I got out of bootcamp and into Charleston was a nice alarm clock ($100 in 2001).  I still use that same alarm clock today.

Additionally, after the second phase of the training pipeline (nuclear power school), she probably will recieve 1/3 of her signing bonus to help her transition to prototype.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?