Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Things that rookie nukeworkers should know

Author Topic: Things that rookie nukeworkers should know  (Read 107776 times)

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
Re: Things that rookie nukeworkers should know
« Reply #75 on: Feb 23, 2008, 09:02 »
iffen yinz ain't got a pen, ya batter hav a mop.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline HousePuke

• ALARA Coordinator / Rad Engineer
  • Heavy User
  • If you don't like it here, go somewhere else!
« Reply #76 on: Feb 26, 2008, 02:47 »
Disregard about 95% of the stories you hear in the breakroom.  No one saves the plant, outage or other "heroic" deeds as portrayed in breakroom stories.

I have to agree that a great deal of good suggestions have been put forth in this thread.

Be on time, ready to work, do your job, be honest and most important...be safe.
Irish diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell such that he looks forward to making the trip.

Inspite of inflation, a penny is still a fair price for most peoples thoughts.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #77 on: Feb 27, 2008, 01:29 »
1) Grab samples are NOT performed with a large rad bag running down the hall.
2) You do not have to provide a bio-essay smaple by pooping into a 1 liter poly bottle when you get on site to support a normal refuel outage.
3) You do not have to speak into the hp 210 probe to tell it "frisking hands" or "frisking feet".
4) You are not required to duck every time you hear a "bing" on the refuel floor to avoid the in-coming neutrons.
5) If an operator says that they don't expect to see any water...you'll probably see several gallons of water jetting out in a fan formation wetting everything within' a 15 foot radius.
6) Deconners are the MOST fun to have sex with, I don't care what the previous post says.
7) The annulus really is an area of the plant and not a 70's dirty movie.
8.) Build a relationship with the recruiters, if there is a problem, deal with it in a diplomatic way.
9) Try not to pee in containment, but if peeing in containment keeps you from peeing in the pcm's...then by all means, pee in containment.
10) If you are a coffee drinker and smoker, please chew gum before you come back into containment from your break.

;)
« Last Edit: Feb 27, 2008, 08:22 by Brett LaVigne »
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #78 on: Feb 27, 2008, 03:38 »
1) Grab samples are NOT performed with a large rad bag running down the hall.
2) You do not have to provide a bio-essay smaple by pooping into a 1 liter poly bottle when you get on site to support a normal refuel outage.
3) You do not have to speak into the hp 210 probe to tell it "frisking hands" or "frisking feet".
4) You are not required to duck every time you hear a "bing" on the refuel floor to avoid the in-coming neutrons.
5) If an operator says that they don't expect to see any water...you'll probably see several gallons of water jetting out in a fan formation wetting everything within' a 15 foot radius.
6) Deconners are the MOST fun to have sex with, I don't care what the previous post says.
7) The annulus really is an area of the plant and not a 70's dirty movie.
8) Build a relationship with the recruiters, if there is a problem, deal with it in a diplomatic way.
9) Try not to pee in containment, but if peeing in containment keeps you from peeing in the pcm's...then by all means, pee in containment.
10) If you are a coffee drinker and smoker, please chew gum before you come back into containment from your break.

;)

Boy, I would probably pay to hear the stories behind those.

Justin

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Chemistry Technician CCNPP
  • Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #79 on: Feb 27, 2008, 08:15 »
Rumor has it a guy waited too long yesterday to go through the PCM and SAM his articles out.  By too late, I mean he left puddles of poo in his wake.  He had more patience than I could have mustered up.

vikingfan

« Reply #80 on: Feb 28, 2008, 03:09 »
i bet he wishes he could run away and bury his head in the sand somewhere ! at least he'll be famous huh??

justatech

« Reply #81 on: Feb 28, 2008, 09:06 »
i bet he wishes he could run away and bury his head in the sand somewhere ! at least he'll be famous huh??

Not sure about that.
Worked a site where an older contractor worker came out - he really had to go..............literally.
As he was finished counting the tech informed him he had not frisked his underarms and sides of body first (at that time the site did not trust the PCM-1's to count these areas correctly - prior to the purchase of PCM-2's) he jumped out hurried up and frisked, jumped back in as he was finished counting the tech informed him he had not SAM'd his hat out - he jumped out again - all the while words where being exchanged. By the time he finished the third count he was contaminating the portal monitor with his bodies waste products. The man was sick with the flu and the bathroom was less than 100 yards away. The worker called a meeting with RP Management - the tech finished that outage and has never been back since. Nor have we seen the worker-bee. He actually was a very nice hard working happy go lucky sort - unlike the tech.

Courtesy and respect for another can go a long way in any field.
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2008, 09:11 by justatech »

tennbuck

« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2008, 08:50 »
the gps is a must. i bought a garmin nuvii 200 for $168 at walmart. i had it mounted and working in 5 minutes in the walmart parking lot. push a button to find the the next gas, food or hotel. a great road tool.

sunflower seeds keep me awake also.

RADBASTARD

« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2008, 05:42 »
There are only 3 rules you need to know

#1 Who to suck up too !

#2 Which techs you have to watch out for who will stab you in the back,to make themselves look good by making someone else look bad.
Because they can't do it on their own merit!

RULE #3 see rule #1 and #2

Thats the only rule's a rookie should know.The rest will come later.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 05:43 by RadBastard »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2008, 04:07 »
the gps is a must. i bought a garmin nuvii 200 for $168 at walmart. i had it mounted and working in 5 minutes in the walmart parking lot. push a button to find the the next gas, food or hotel. a great road tool.

sunflower seeds keep me awake also.

I've made a POI (point of interest) file for the garmin nuvi that hass the location of all the nuke plants.  I have attached it to this message.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 04:09 by Rennhack »

delkinto

« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2008, 10:28 »
Times for the rookies to be worried:

If the RP says it's "probably not contaminated"

If you asked the RP whether it was contaminated after you stepped in it

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #86 on: Aug 01, 2008, 01:30 »
Be aware of your surroundings. Just because the town looks like a quaint little village and the people are all so nice doesn't mean trouble isn't lurking around the corner; use common sense when out in unknown areas, even the grocery stores, etc.

I was out shopping last year and someone stole my billfold out of my purse, I was in an unfamilar town, Henry was at work and I had no way to contact him, no money, etc.

Make sure you have a back-up credit card/cash and an emergency number for loved ones.

Whalla2U

« Reply #87 on: Aug 01, 2008, 10:13 »
With the fall season soon upon us, I feel that there's some great information posted here.

After reading all the post, something that I can think of that every nukeworker on the road should get is a hands free device for their cell phone.  When I start out on my trips, I attach my hands free device to my ear before leaving the driveway. 

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #88 on: Aug 01, 2008, 10:28 »
when i was a deconner i learned where i was going to be for the rest of the week whenever an HP came up to me with a "5 minute job".
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #89 on: Sep 18, 2008, 07:41 »
Don't step on the floor drains.
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #90 on: Sep 18, 2008, 08:27 »

Those poor drains need deconned SOMEhow.... ;)

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #91 on: Sep 19, 2008, 03:05 »

know, noe, no!!!  step onna floor drains, walk all over da playce, frisk yer booties at da sop (caws ya wanna sho da hp dat yer con sea enshus, 'n git moor work!  duh.... ;)
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #92 on: Feb 09, 2009, 07:35 »
Pay Attention
Think First … Speak Second
Think First … Act Second
Take Responsibility for Yourself and Your Actions
You Always Make A Difference
   Only you can determine if the difference is positive or negative.
Never Stop Improving Yourself
   You are the only one capable of elevating your value.
Respect Earns Respect

A lot of people probably look at this and say, "Yeah, great...but that doesn't sound like me..."   

But, here's the cool thing...when you go to a new outage, no one has any expectations of 'you'...so you can be any 'you' that you want to be.

Try to lose one vice, or improve one habit, every new place you work...it's the only time in your life that you won't have to live down to any negatives that are enforced by your 'normal' world. 
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2009, 08:08 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline namlive

• Moderate User
« Reply #93 on: Mar 30, 2009, 08:30 »
Never eat yellow cake or yellow snow. :)
No one gets out alive.

DrewBuckeye85

« Reply #94 on: Apr 21, 2009, 10:24 »
Music...music...music...have an iPod or Zune (if you're into crappy quality, not that I'm a Mac guy, but the sound quality and compatibility mean everything). Get a 30Gb if possible and load that sucker up, then purchase an FM Transmitter, preferably one that connects from your 12V/Cigarette Lighter to the bottom port. The battery powered adapters are garbage and have terrible reception with any station.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2009, 05:10 »
www.hotpads.com

Most of the rentals listed are long-term, but they also have some vacation rentals in certain areas...worth a look if you need a place to live during an outage...

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #96 on: Jul 24, 2009, 02:14 »
www.hotpads.com

Most of the rentals listed are long-term, but they also have some vacation rentals in certain areas...worth a look if you need a place to live during an outage...

Saw that they have added a 'Hotel' tab on HotPads.  Lets you see hotel locations on a map, so you can pick one with easy access...and then gives you a rate quote for the dates you input...

WIFEY26525

« Reply #97 on: Aug 04, 2009, 04:28 »
I would venture the advice to rookies of simply:
1) asking questions of the experienced people
2) try to watch or work as many job types as possible in the first few outages (s/g, radwaste, refuel, etc.). That way you gain a feel for which jobs you enjoy.
3) save as much money as ya can as fast as ya can. you'll never know when the jobs disappear or you get hurt.
4) work with the people you are covering on the jobs, be flexable, be creative. If they are comfy / happy, they will make your job easier also.
5) find a job or jobs that you are good at and enjoy and don't be afraid to ask for that job. I used to tell supervisors "if you give me refuel, reactor bldg or s/g....I'll be adequate, but if you give me nightshift radwaste or turbine bldg, I'll come early and do a hell of a job ! and if you put me on dayshift.......I'll die!" that usually worked to get me where i wanted to be.

6) VERY IMPORTANT ! If you see a senior HP/RCT/RPT covering his job and you disagree with how he is doing the job.........unless he is being a radcon nightmare that will result in death or massive NRC fines.........DO NOT SNITCH HIM TO THE SUPERVISION !!!!!!!! ASK THE TECH QUESTIONS IF YOU HAVE A CONCERN, BUT LET HIM RUN HIS JOB HIS WAY !

7) My opinion of what my job was defined as :
I was there to keep the plant, the workers and the public safe from radiation and nuclear unpleasantness while striving to interfere the least amount with the successful completion of the work being done.

Content1

« Reply #98 on: Aug 04, 2009, 11:27 »
If you see a Senior Rad Tech carrying a ion chamber meter and running to an exit, stopping to glance at it, and then runs faster, it may be wise to follow.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #99 on: Nov 02, 2009, 09:31 »
About not having cash at the beginning of the outage:

I deal with the problem this way:  I opened an account at a bank that I seemed to see at almost every plant I went to (such as Bank of America or US Bank) (don't forget the debit card for paying for gas and lodging).  That account only handles my perdiem so that I can keep it separate from my paychecks (they go to my regular bank).  Spend what you need for the job you're on and leave the rest for the beginning of your next job.  Over time, that account's balance will grow into a tidy sum (if you're reasonably prudent) that can be used to clear out debts or get some new toys.  I never let the balance in my "travel account" get below $2,000 between outages so that I always have enough cash to get started without having to ask for a perdiem advance.  And, should you run into a contract that only pays every two weeks, you will be sitting pretty while everyone around you is whining and complaining and begging for an advance.
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?